Would you like for DST to eventually have some of these as new settings/features? [POLL]

POLL  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Insanity Volume Setting

• Yes! I would love to be able to lower the volume of insanity sounds so I don't get a headache all the time and have to rely on mods!
    • No... (Please give a legit reason why)
  2. 2. Insanity Color Filter Intensity Setting

• Yes! I would love to be able to lower the intensity of the effect then it doesn't hurt my eyes especially during winter which forces me to lower my screen brightness!
  3. 3. Chat Size Setting

• Yes! I would love an option to be able to increase or decrease the size of the chat then it doesn't fill up my entire screen when a bunch of people are talking and be overall very distracting!
  4. 4. Chat Duration till fade out Setting

• Yes! I would love an option to adjust how long the chat will remain before fading out!
  5. 5. World Seed Feature

• Yes! I would love to have the option to generate the same world over and over with the use of a world seed similar to the mod Zarklord made!

This is another important question I couldn't fit in the poll.

Would you like to be able to play in your worlds regardless if it's an online or offline world and regardless if you're connected to the internet or not and would you like to be able to swap your offline world into an online world then your friends can come and play with you?

Yes, from me. please klei, please, please, please, please, please, please

I hope I'm not the only one

I would like to have something like Hardmode in Terraria where when you finish the Fuelweaver, every boss gain more HP and or dmg output (haven't thought that through all the way tho). Maybe one or 2 new common enemies and one or 2 new items. 

That would give a further challenge to the old player fanbase without impacting the casual players and newcomers.

They should just make this game like the original Borderlands, I laughed my butt off at these two kids who joined my game in the starting Area of Fyrestone, I was in New Game + +

and I told them Yo dude you don’t wanna go out there there’s a lvl 150 Badass Mutha Shock Skagg out there (yeah that’s literally the name of the enemy) And they’re like pfft yeah right- I’ve played this game before there’s nothing but a couple lvl 5 skag pups out there..

A few seconds later and they both come running back into the town screaming “Oh Sheesh dude RUN there’s a Badass Mutha Shock Skagg out there!” Meanwhile..

im sitting there laughing so hard- “uhh yeah I told you so.”

1 - no: What are you on about? The game already has a setting for this.
5d9062e65ad49_Screenshot2019-09-29at09_52_44.png.73d6bf8ea8758effa625ffc47009333b.png

2 - no: I think the whole challenge/desirability of insanity need an overhaul. The colour filter is an OK deterrent IMO. If you're wilfully staying insane, especially after kelp and lunar island was introduced, you only have yourself to blame.

3-5 - yeah, but... meh.

Only the insanity color filter is a problem for me. My screen is not the best one you could have (to put it mildly). My issue is more like "can't see anything at all in winter" not "my eyes are hurting in winter". So yes... it would be nice to be able to do something about it. I still voted 'yes' for everything because it never hurts to have more options and I couldn't vote 'dunno'.

My opinion might be unpopular, considering poll results, however, I still think insanity shouldn't be polished to be convenient. Your character is supposed to have embraced pure madness.

Fighting imaginary shadow creatures whereas your relatives are looking at you fighting for you life against thin air ?

Don't know what to think about world seed though. Seems convenient, but players would end up playing only on OP maps with desired set pieces.

I'm aware they can still do so by regenerating map over and over, but is it common among players ?

Oh and that poll seems totally unbiased, as you can freely opt for an answer whereas you have to give a "legit reason" for the other answer OP does not want you to choose. :D

Addition to the chat features: ability to scroll up through all of the current session's chat history while the chat entry field is active.
Important for reporting grief and such. Community mob mentality is strong and even suggesting that someone might have possibly done something slightly uncouth without direct recorded evidence can quickly lead to heavy backlash. TBH it seems like people just go that route for a show. I'd rather just be able to go back, get what should be reasonably attainable to back up any claims and skip the annoyance of the court of public opinion.

50-50 on the Insanity thing. Insanity should have some feelable effects, to be sure...but the current design is prone to issues like mentioned above.

1 and 2 are really dumb, people say "oh no insanity easy yesss" but also want remove a feature that is meant to annoy you with the whole sounds and colour desaturation.

3 and 4 are good ideas, but the most important is being able to scroll the chat log.

5 could be interesting, it's a neat idea!

I'm not going to respond to anyone directly cause I'm tired, but in my opinion all of settings are to be honest mandatory to have in Don't Starve Together and there is no good reason to not have them in.

First off all using these options are optional and each player has the choice to use them for them self and if you don't like it then that's okay don't use it, but you shouldn't be against an idea which will only allow more freedom of choice for each player to choose what they want or don't want when it doesn't affect you at all.

By that logic then there should have been no world customization or settings at all because right now there are world customization options which can make the game extremely easy such as disabling all monsters, adding more food, ect. and there is already options to disable screen shake and insanity screen distortion which are also guilty of being able to make you feel sick as well.

The color filter of insanity and the sounds are even worse than screen shake (IMO) and can cause headaches, dry eye, nausea, and make you feel pretty sick if you're a frailer person in real life like me and it adds nothing to the game to force the player to feel sick in real life except make them not want to play your game.

If Klei wants to make Insanity difficult what they should do is make it actually difficult gameplay wise not in a way which forces people to not feel good in real life which is a very cheap to make it more "difficult". Actual difficulty would be more nightmare creatures, more mechanics such as moving slow, or getting short of breath in the game, or fainting and winding up in some random place, vomiting when eating food, not being able to see parts of the map, stuff like that.

tldr: There is no reason to say no to the idea of adding more options which only gives individual players more freedom to customize their game to make it more enjoyable. There's already options in the game which can make the game easier or harder via world customization, mods, ect. all which are optional (just like these settings would be) and up to the player to decide what's best for them.

For people who say "it makes the game easier" or "it's fine as is" as I said before there are many ways the game can be made easier, Don't Starve Together isn't some competitive first-person shooter game, it's a casual survival game to play with friends and mess around. Also, as I already said these options aren't forced on anyone they are "optional" like options should be and players which can get sick of such things like this should have the option to choose to tone it down. If you don't get sick in real life from these things then good for you, but not everyone is the same and there are other people who aren't you which do get sick from this and it does ruin their experience.

If Klei changes the color of mutant hounds and pengulls to be less "grotesque" then squeamish players don't feel nauseous at the sight of them then I really hope they add options to prevent people from getting nauseous from the insanity effects which are much more frequent as well!

13 hours ago, myxal said:

1 - no: What are you on about? The game already has a setting for this.
5d9062e65ad49_Screenshot2019-09-29at09_52_44.png.73d6bf8ea8758effa625ffc47009333b.png

That also mutes every ambient sound in the game making the game almost entirely mute which is why insanity sounds must have its own volume setting.

7 hours ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

You are asking to remove pretty much the 'only downside' of Insanity, its supposed to be a stat like hunger and health, not some silly side-feature

the downside of insanity is having terror beaks walk on you and whoop your butt with 50 damage at any time, not give you an eyesore in real life.

17 hours ago, Warbucks said:

This is another important question I couldn't fit in the poll.

Would you like to be able to play in your worlds regardless if it's an online or offline world and regardless if you're connected to the internet or not and would you like to be able to swap your offline world into an online world then your friends can come and play with you?

Yes, from me. please klei, please, please, please, please, please, please

I hope I'm not the only one

You're not!

Options for everything is something I'd always advocate for.

The issue comes with having too many options and not a clean enough way to present them.

Currently the in-game options menu is nothing more than a bunch of checkboxes with no real order or grouping.

If these features are to be added, then I'd also have to suggest a cleanup on the UI for the options to have some categorization.

Someone looking to turn off sounds has no business reading about how they can change the resolution of the rendering window.

Also shameful plugs for 1&2 in the time being:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=882610849

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1229018711

I personally have never had any problems with the insanity effects causing me physical discomfort, or with the chat size or speed. I voted no for those suggestions, not because I think they're bad ideas, I'm sure other people would like to adjust those settings, but because the question is specifically asking if that's something I would like, and I wouldn't like it. But I wouldn't dislike it either.

As for the ability to create the same world over and over again, I feel like that defeats the whole point of Don't Starve, which is that you've been dropped into an unknown wilderness and have to discover everything anew every time. If you want to keep reusing the same world, I'm sure there's a mod for that, but I feel like being able to get a specific world whenever you want goes against the spirit of the game, and should not be an official feature. It would make the game much too easy, since you'd know where everything is on day one if you've played that world before.

The real thing about insanity is the fact that a Terrorbeak will come at you when you don't have a armor, not a real life headache, you see, as someone who has very common headaches (i had one like 2 days ago), i think having the possibility to turn down the color desaturation and the volume is something good for my real-life health, i don't want to have a real bad headache.

Archived