• Geyser/Volcano/Vent Yellow Alert Viewer
    • Flash Flaking
    • Command Capsule Reset
    • Trap-less Critter Wrangling
    • 200x Temperature Multiplier on Rails
    • SHC Differences

Welcome Duplicants to ONI University!

- Yes we dupli-can!

Recently I have scoured the forums for old and new posts regarding the nuances of the game and I had a thought, wouldn't it be a waste to have someone else do the exact same thing when I could just share my findings. I would like to make a collection of threads that new players and veterans can use. This is also so I do not have to keep a hundred tabs open. If you want me to add a thread to the list, I will do so. If there are other Thread Collection Lists, I would like to add those as well. Hopefully I can categorize them well enough to not be a mess.

Game Mechanics/Exploits

• Care Package Duplication
Spoiler

• Temperature Clamping
Spoiler

• Pump/Geyser Range
Spoiler

• Hydro-dynamics/mechanics
  • Aerodynamics
Spoiler

• Doors
Spoiler

Horizontal Mechanized/Manual Airlocks destroy falling sand and regolith.

5d7ba41583677_Regolithfalling1.png.53a483e345d2f29a689a286e156f3fda.png5d7ba4161bb6a_Regolithfalling2.png.e4375d0dc0440fa9797cd9341d401be5.png

• Duplicant Interaction
Spoiler

5d7ba4124b46f_dupepath.png.7408ba8baa4ed19a77c40d4d78dec760.png

• That Workplace is Lit
Spoiler

• Auto-Sweeper
Spoiler

5d7ba416b80ed_Sweeperrange1.png.140ff642a6218fdb4e29ed874bd02827.png5d7ba4174e9d1_Sweeperrange2.png.ff2819d72ad03bf021667e4bb20ec03d.png5d7ba409d2dcf_Sweeperrange3.png.9207c343bb1a690c4fbf9c87421c7157.png

• Energy Manipulation
Spoiler

• Piping
Spoiler

Pipes do not take state change damage when contents are less than or equal to 10% of their maximum capacity.

5d7ba4133c13f_Pipestatechange1.png.f460275d5b2d6cec68b2e934825b8814.png

5d7ba413e0b48_Pipestatechange2.png.00e25c83826d799931f7fd31ce8f8d71.png5d7ba4146111e_Pipestatechange3.png.de6c3d283335d96dba646ec59d7584ab.png

• Building/POI Interactions
Spoiler

Conversation of @mathmanican and I

Spoiler

mathmanicanFYI, the Kiln issue still works. Was updating my profile, saw you viewed it and were looking at the Kiln post.  If you drop 10g of liquid, two layers deep, over batteries or the kiln, you get to use them without worrying about power. You can also use a single 10kg 10g blob, and then the rest vacuum.  It's kinda insane.

me: ah, thanks.  I was in the middle of making a post of all the topics on game mechanics/bugs/exploits/guides/tools and even other collections of posts. I think you have written most of them btw. There are a couple of topics that I still need more info on though like temperature multipliers and interactions between buildings and their contents/surrounding tiles.

mathmanican:

Never Lose +3 morale when dupes sleep in exosuit

Fixed - last I checked.

Oh, and I meant 10g blob, not 10kg blob... Any mass under 1500g gets clamped when a building produces excess heat that gets vented to the region.

Someday I was hoping to make an "ONI University: Exploits 101 - How to bug the **** out of ONI" post.  Looks like you'll beat me too it.  Great! I can focus on other stuff

me: 

ok, I'll mark that one off. clamped as in temperature clamping I take it.

ONI University

I might use this for the title, but then that means I would have to include everything.

mathmanican

I think R9MX4's reply in that thread you were viewing explains the details.  There is a check to see if the contents over the building have a mass above 1.5kg. If they don't, then the temperature released to the environment is proportionally reduced.  So use 10g of liquid, on one tile of the building, and you see a HUGE reduction in heat.  This works best with buildings that emit their heat to the surroundings (Kiln, batteries, liquid tepidizer), not that heat up themselves (plastic production). I think the rationale for this is "We don't want a liquid tepidizer taking 10g of liquid and making it instantly take on 100000C (crashing the game)."  I encountered the issue because I wanted a really small amount of petroleum, and I thought, "hey, let's put a kiln over a tiny bit of crude, run a single batch of ceramics, and get petro when I'm done."  I had great, grand plans. But they were thwarted by this "clamping" feature.  

Since it's mostly likely not a bug, it's a great feature.  Forget cooling your batteries. I haven't tried it on the steam turbine yet, but it may actually work.  Check the heat produced tooltip on the kiln and you'll see the heat is split into two types.  If the steam turbine is split as well, then this bug should work as a cooling mechanism.

Change priority to yellow alert to view what geyser/vent/volcano you have.

5d7ba414ebc3e_predictgeysers.png.0412844cd455200eb330e4647f51f619.png

• Flash Flaking
Spoiler

• Space/Rocketry
Spoiler

Duplicants reset when entering and exiting a command capsule. 3550kcal - 0% Stress - Unknown Age - Base Morale - Instant Panacea

• Critters
Spoiler

Wrangle critters without traps using auto-wrangle on critter drop-off. Does not work on morbs or pacu.

5d7ba411a334f_critterwrangling.png.3ab61e3a84df0aec9d0ae72e7f0df48c.png

• Heat Transfer
Spoiler

• SHC Differences
Spoiler

• Map Generation
Spoiler

• Mathematical Errors
Spoiler

• Germs
Spoiler

Only 1 type of germ can infect a tile at one time. i.e a buddy bud or bristle blossom will produce floral scent in its surroundings which will compete with slime lung and zombie spores.

• Skill Training
Spoiler

Ranching Attribute can only be increased by hugging eggs and this takes a while to be useful.

• UI
Spoiler

• Lag
Spoiler

• Rooms
Spoiler

• Logic
Spoiler

• Locks
Spoiler

Builds/Automations/Concepts

• Clocks
Spoiler

• Insulation Melting
Spoiler

• Traps
Spoiler

• Digging
Spoiler

Ladder

5d7ba412aae6e_ladderdig.png.573174f59c6944d447d8a0c1dea4b2e6.png

Ceiling/Floor Future Planning

5d7ba40a96128_cielingfloordig.png.074998ba6a9f6feda57e047b7f3712bc.png

• Refinement
Spoiler

• Material Production
Spoiler

• Tamers
Spoiler

• Space/Rocketry
Spoiler

• Power Systems
Spoiler

Brothgar's Shinebug Reactor Shine Bug Reactor.blueprint

• Music (you can't stop the music!)
Spoiler

• Sustainability
Spoiler

• Other
Spoiler

Useful Tools

• Save File Editor
  • Database
Spoiler
  • Calculations
  • Seed Finder

Youtubers

@Lifegrow

@Tonyroid

@JohnFrancis

@Mullematsch

@Brothgar

@SamLogan

@Gamers Handbook

@Steve Raptor

Guides/Tutorials

• Basics
  • Priorities/Scheduling
  • Achievements
Spoiler

Mod Authors

My Favorites List

More Info Needed

• Spreadsheets
Spoiler
  • % of debris left behind after phase change
  • Minimum mass for a natural tile to occur during phase change
  • Critter starting calories and max calorie limit, hoping they will add this to oni-db
  • More sweating, flaking, flashing phase change mechanics
  • Liquid-Solid bypass
  • Solid-Solid bypass
  • Debris-Solid bypass
  • Other
Spoiler
  • Possibly more exploits on auto-sweeper
  • Possibly more exploits on micro-gram environments

Wiki Page

Special Thanks to @mathmanican for the help.

10 minutes ago, metallichydra said:

obviosly im trying to get the sandlock on this list

I think we should add it! :encouragement:

11 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

you could've called it "ONIversity".

I'm with ya.  I changed all mine, thanks to @xialeth.

@BLACKBERREST3, we should also start a list of Save/Load issues. Some things will be on more than one list, but this seems like a great place to start, and maintain, such a list. 

Oh, and @BLACKBERREST3, I vote you as dean of curriculum council. :) 

23 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

you could've called it "ONIversity".

Wait a minute, I thought the consensus for the title was ONI University. I can always change it. 

35 minutes ago, metallichydra said:

obviosly im trying to get the sandlock on this list

Adding that right now, it's under doors. Hail Hydra!

1 hour ago, metallichydra said:

the sporechid will be listed as the best plant

It actually is. All sporechids on the map, in aeropots, trapped by glass walls above and/or below your beds, puts out way more decor than top tier gold statues, even with a loss of two walls to contain them.  This is now my meta in sleep time decor.

13 hours ago, metallichydra said:

okay, i reach it sometimes, but every time i reach it, i get so dissappointed because i cant see any sporechids

I just checked for them on my map, I'm not seeing any :(. I'll add them later with debug or something, after I get all the achievements. I really want to get that gif of unlocking all the achievements at once, but no super-speed is kinda annoying.

My cookie cutter base so far

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.6d054c6587584c0482214666209abcb1.png

On 9/13/2019 at 12:19 PM, mathmanican said:

we should also start a list of Save/Load issues.

I think I missed reading that a while back, the only one I've found so far is the shutoff bug.

Spoiler

Unless you know a few off the top of your head, I'll have to start searching through a few bug reports.

4 hours ago, Loscil2 said:

MODS! Please make this a sticky!

Not sure what you mean by sticky. I use a lot of them already, mostly QoL ones. If I was going to add a list, this list would have to be exclusive i.e only I could choose what to add. I was trying to avoid this because I didn't want the thread to be saturated with requests to add mods/mod creators because this number is just going to keep increasing. I know this cause I've seen it happen more than once, just look at how many DS and DST mods there are. Why youtubers you might be wondering then. This is because they are tied to the tutorials/guides section. They cover a lot of topics that oni university does not. You can see this based on the playlists I have selected from them. There are not too many youtubers out there for ONI anyways, so I can be more lenient with updating that list. What I can give you, however, is my favorites section in steam, I'll start making a more defined collection (not just the ones I play with) and then possibly add it under the section of "mods I use" or something like that. We might have to create a new thread for suggesting mods that exist to each other (not suggestions to create mods).

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198146408569/myworkshopfiles/?appid=0&sort=score&browsefilter=myfavorites&view=imagewall

2 hours ago, SamLogan said:

Don't forget non english Youtubers, we also make great content. :)

I may not be able to understand the language myself, but I can definitely add it for people who do.

2 hours ago, SamLogan said:

I think there's a mistake in "Skill Training"

I think I know what you mean, there is a subset of links within that thread that direct you to the mechanics behind the build.This thread covers improving strength by mopping. The consensus for this is that you don't necessarily need it as all of your dupes should have improved carrying and exosuit training, but you can do it and it is possible which is more of the point.

Spoiler

It was francis john/john francis who covered running on wheels to improve athletics in one of his videos. There is also a way to skill up ranching by hugging eggs, but the consensus for this is that it takes way too long hundreds of cycles even. I'll have to rework some organization of this topic. As I said in the statement above, youtubers have covered topics that are not in oni university because I could not find a thread about it. These are all the skill ups I know about, if anyone knows how to get the rest of them, please post about it.

I could've sworn I included mogoms already, but I have just recently started keeping a backup of this topic in my inbox. I might have deleted it by accident by moving a link off screen :shock:. the forum text editor is not the most intuitive, but I do like the embedded links feature. I wish I could make gifs as good as the ones mathmanican uses.

4 hours ago, Grimgaw said:

MODeratorS! Please make this thread a sticky!

oh! that would be pretty cool.

Hey does anyone know how to change a poll without removing the statistics? I guess that system is in place so people can't just change it later to swap the results. I wanted to add more to it, but I'm hesitant to. It would be nice if you were able to re-vote in case it does change so you could re-tally on the spot.

6 hours ago, Grimgaw said:

MODeratorS! Please make this thread a sticky!

5 hours ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

oh! that would be pretty cool.

Yeah that's what I meant, sorry, internet lingo haha.

Great job compiling this list; but also thanks to all authors who researched and posted all these threads, really, thanks a lot.

5 hours ago, Loscil2 said:

thanks to all authors who researched and posted all these threads

Couldn't have done it without them. All I did was gather it all, the community is what created this.

5 hours ago, Loscil2 said:

Yeah that's what I meant

oh, well I still might add a mod list of some kind.

I don't want to be intrusive, but I think it might be a good idea to start posting when I make edits. I don't know how the forum updates people who are following this thread so I guess I'll post updates at a low frequency starting now.

Added more info on building/poi interactions, energy, critters, lit workspace, rocketry, dupe interaction, rounding errrors, germs, and @Mullematsch

I still have to add more that I haven't gotten to yet.

Are there any topics you guys want me to add that aren't in the university yet? What I'm looking for;

• Game mechanics
  • Guides
  • Builds & Automation

Now is the time to dig up those posts and bug reports that are still relevant in the Launch Upgrade. I'm having trouble finding new info which is a good thing. I just want to make sure I'm not leaving anything out. I usually don't post topics that are about a created video unless the discussion in that thread is meaningful and informant about mechanics of the game, otherwise there would be no point to having the youtuber section. I'm still watching out for new threads, but feel free to link them if I haven't seen them yet.

Before I go and do a bunch of stuff on the wiki side of things, I decided it was time to better categorize the threads. Imagine this as adding sub-sections to the general discussion page on the forums. Why I chose wiki can be found here. The wiki page can be found here and the discussion for changes you want to add can be found here. This is a work in progress and opens the door for anyone and everyone to edit in what they want. The wiki also makes it easy to see a history of changes and all of them can be accessed so don't be afraid to make edits. The ONI University page on the forums is not going anywhere. The wiki will only help to improve this page. I am still very new to the platform so any tips/tricks are welcome.

Spoiler

Sorry @metallichydra, it took longer than 20min

1 hour ago, metallichydra said:

im not sure if people can actually search for it on the wiki

I'm not too worried about that. I have the link to it on the op so it should be fine. I think the awareness will come into play the more people use this as a resource or until a moderator pins it. The wikis only purpose at this point is to share editing rights/privileges with people. They can move it wherever they want once its more developed.

Archived