Why are skins still only aesthetic? As Klei could easily increase the sales of skins and at the same time give more variety to the players.

...actually, the only problem I'd have with this is that I don't think the current skin layering system is well equipped enough to handle changes like this while also offering sufficient customization.

We already have really strong, game-changing character traits locked behind paywalls/playwalls, and there're more to come.
Try Wortox in Starving Floor once.

If Klei did this, then they could completely ruin a skin for someone.

Say it affected the character in such a way that it made the character no longer enjoyable, but they like the aesthetics of the skin and hence why they got it in the first place.

This is bad because real money could have been invested and for Klei to turn around and make it bad brings the feeling of betrayal to the purchaser, deterring future investments.

1 hour ago, maradyne said:

Try Wortox in Starving Floor once.

Well, Klei can't be responsible for balancing characters to mods.

5 hours ago, CarlZalph said:

Well, Klei can't be responsible for balancing characters to mods.

I was just using that as an easy example on the extreme side. His teleportation, ability to quickly fill a group's health bar twice, and general manipulation of health (including turning Wormwood into a super efficient Living Log farm) are all vanilla features. Wormwood's a similar case, with the aforementioned Wortox synergy, further synergy with Wickerbottom, ability to easily and reliably get one of the two staple items of magic crafting, and generally changing how foods are used due to making the full variety of farm foods with differing stats easy to access.
Also, oddly enough, removes most of the need for fertilizer from the game.

Eh, point was that we have strong character traits that alter the course of the game behind a paywall already, and more coming with the 2 other new characters on the way (albeit at a slower pace than initially intended).
I can still see how this is an iffy subject, though.

I hope that the character updates can expand upon the existing character concepts enough that this won't matter as much. Like...say, giving Webber the ability to befriend all spider variants. That would somewhat satisfy people wanting more gameplay options while still fitting the thematic, and keeping the mechanics manageable.

As someone has already mentioned, having unique cosmetic effects kinda sounds dope.

I'm pretty sure Wes's Gorge set was going to have a dust effect when we moves around but they decided to remove it because of the increased value of the skin.

43 minutes ago, Hatano Eichero said:

This thread is an echo-chamber. You can sum up half of the replies as "no lolol this is not EA actually that bad idea P2W u stoopid nobody likes ur idea"

Yeah but think of the  K̶a̶r̶m̶a̶ ̶ happy face emotes

I think it's just human nature to bandwagon on popular ideas. Everyone wants a voice, especially if they see it's going to be a "correct" opinion 

16 minutes ago, Hatano Eichero said:

This thread is an echo-chamber. You can sum up half of the replies as "no lolol this is not EA actually that bad idea P2W u stoopid nobody likes ur idea"

The thing is I'm not being a part of the echo chamber, I'm thinking of Klei's end.

On 13/7/2019 at 2:14 PM, x0VERSUS1y said:

klei-ptw

(evilly stroking the "Pay-to-Win" cat in a corner)

In theory anyone can access the console commands and instantly win every game challenge :'D If ever there were any other competitive event, obviously the advantages of the skins would be temporarily blocked.

On 13/7/2019 at 4:11 PM, Superlucas1231 said:

As much as I like the idea of giving characters new playstyles, making it locked behind skins is... a bad idea. 

Then again, there is that argument that Wortox and Wormwood are P2W, but at the very least they're weavable. not to mention that it's only 2 characters you have to weave. But to make special playstyles locked behind skins that can cost up to 40$ - or require players to wait half a year for the 15$-ish dollar collection - is insane. Even if all of the skins are weavable, most players are going to eventually feel forced to pay SOMEONE because they don't 50k spools to use.

Please, let's not make skins P2W. Klei are the only developers I know that don't suffocate their games with DLCs, microtransactions, and all that other stuff EA does. 

Obviously Klei should have a monopoly on skins and prevent absurd prices. What then, even now, $ 40 for a cosmetic-only skins seems crazy to me, but I don't understand why the skins market is doing well while my proposal would make everything terrible :'D

On 13/7/2019 at 5:02 PM, minespatch said:

57a54933963ed_arielsweats.png.7e7d7f360bc047ce1e14cd4d6acd52e6.pngEr... You okay, Op?

Yes. I didn't propose anything shocking: DST is a collaborative game, so if a player "strengthens" his character it doesn't hurt someone else, don't spoils other gaming experience.
Imagine a "boosted" Wilson: what's different than entering a server with a Wickerbottom and making the gaming experience ridiculously easy for everyone? Given that Wickerbottom would probably be more powerful than any skins-boosted Wilson: 'D
Obviously Klei should have a monopoly on skin and prevent users from imposing absurd prices on the market.
Obviously the powers of the skins would be blocked in case of other competitive events.
Obviously the powers could be activated in an optional manner, in case a player wants to live a "purist" experience.
I repeat, I see nothing that can damage the overall playing experience, indeed: I think that if Klei regulated the buying and selling of skins the market would benefit only, with prices finally honest for everyone.

On 13/7/2019 at 5:04 PM, Hornete said:

I always feared Pop guys ideas, he's gone where no man has gone now. 

I thank you, but I proposed something very trivial, it is the collective psychosis that gave my topic a legendary aura :'D

On 13/7/2019 at 7:03 PM, Warbucks said:

I support DST going free to play and everything being put behind a 6.99 paywall :wilson_sneaky:

It is not a wrong economic model. Of course, it should be regulated, to prevent players from spending too much.

On 13/7/2019 at 7:12 PM, fimmatek said:

Inb4 Klei: Sorry fans, we have to delay RoT and refreshes because we need to come up with 100+ new effect to make each character skin unique!

Seriously tho, no please. Blocking characters' abilities of full effectiveness behind a paywall or grind isn't a good idea. Heck, even making RoT a payable DLC would be a better option, if Klei needed more money for DST.

Also, I don't want to feel forced to use a skin that I don't like.

I believe it can be done in a month. Considering how slow DST is in being updated I think it's a bearable amount of time. To me personally it is neither hot nor cold to have to wait a little longer

On 13/7/2019 at 11:39 PM, Viktor234 said:

More like: A "simple" "solution" that would make everyone happy except everyone besides you.

I was a bit provocative, I confess :lol:

On 13/7/2019 at 11:44 PM, -Variant said:

The Gnaw is displeased with this concept.

gnawangry.png.905db75380589c71af717e36657b8d9d.png

Has anyone said "Gorge Tournament"? The most bankrupt tournament in history?? :afro:

On 14/7/2019 at 1:05 AM, Raspberry Shake said:

You said the paid characters already created a schism.......

Imagine what this would do.

The 0.001 percent of Klei users on the forum for a few weeks would be so angry! Then they too would go ahead, or other fans would take their place.
The remaining 99.999 percent of users would not care highly, indeed, it would be pleasantly surprised to be able to take advantage of new skills with their wardrobe. :D

8 hours ago, Hatano Eichero said:

Thanks mate!

5 hours ago, JustCrimson said:

Stop

(I am SO GLAD THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN)

Even the multiplayer should never have been born, and instead... even the paid characters there should never have been, and instead... the future is strange. :D

5d2c26ac9b239_WilsonAtomicMushroom.thumb.png.04d8813643dbc80c07b956dc7f94e181.png

Alright, time to add some things to what you've said. Most likely going to sad dumb but here we got lads.

You say that that isn't different with using Wickerbottems, but she's free to play. Anytime you want you can play her, no paywall, and the DLC characters don't come as close to her abilities imo.

You said that this is a coop game, but that doesn't mean it should be added in. You're still getting a advantage, plus the game does have a PvP mode. Though no one plays it.

Pretty sure it'll take more than a month to add the effects, they're going to be adding something unique power to them. So it'll take time to program them all.

4 hours ago, RogueGamer12 said:

You say that that isn't different with using Wickerbottems, but she's free to play. Anytime you want you can play her, no paywall, and the DLC characters don't come as close to her abilities imo.

Wortox does absurd things and even Woormwood doesn't joke :'D
And anyway, the fact that an OP character is immediately available means that nobody starts at a disadvantage (compared to what, then? I repeat, it's a collaborative game)

You said that this is a coop game, but that doesn't mean it should be added in. You're still getting a advantage, plus the game does have a PvP mode. Though no one plays it.

PvP in DST is something that shouldn't be there. They have already changed the characters for PvP and ruined them (Willow, Woodie ...)
So let's fly over PvP. When it is completely reworked it will become an important point in every discussion (I'm serious!) But right now it's just something ugly and awkward, hastily inserted and left to die badly. A really negligible percentage of players plays PvP, and mainly all Wickerbottom. Paradoxically, the enhanced skins would give more variety in PvP choice.

Pretty sure it'll take more than a month to add the effects, they're going to be adding something unique power to them. So it'll take time to program them all.

It is your opinion against my opinion. We both ignore how long it would take, so what should I say? I can only reiterate that I think it could be ready in a month, and you could only reiterate that it would take longer. Let's avoid starting a vicious circle :'D

1 hour ago, RogueGamer12 said:

Are you going to at least have some form of counter argument to what i said instead of just using the laughing reaction?

How impatient you are, I don't live here on the forum :lol:

However I think I have said enough about the subject. It is a simple idea and, I repeat, trivial. If you have any other doubts, write me in private, also because I would like to focus on other topics ;)

21 minutes ago, Superlucas1231 said:

Honestly? I rather prefer if these "skill sets" were lock behind an achievement system instead of buying skins.

Want to get the Snowfallen skill set? Survive winter, kill Mac n' tusk, stay a certain temp, etc etc etc

I'd rather prefer if these achievements wouldn't grant you skills but only skins, similar how solving the metheus puzzle grants you 2 skins. But they shouldn't be as easy as just killing the Deerclops or things like that.

8 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

Yes. I didn't propose anything shocking: DST is a collaborative game, so if a player "strengthens" his character it doesn't hurt someone else, don't spoils other gaming experience.
Imagine a "boosted" Wilson: what's different than entering a server with a Wickerbottom and making the gaming experience ridiculously easy for everyone? Given that Wickerbottom would probably be more powerful than any skins-boosted Wilson: 'D
Obviously Klei should have a monopoly on skin and prevent users from imposing absurd prices on the market.
Obviously the powers of the skins would be blocked in case of other competitive events.
Obviously the powers could be activated in an optional manner, in case a player wants to live a "purist" experience.
I repeat, I see nothing that can damage the overall playing experience, indeed: I think that if Klei regulated the buying and selling of skins the market would benefit only, with prices finally honest for everyone.

Obviously Klei should have a monopoly on skins and prevent absurd prices. What then, even now, $ 40 for a cosmetic-only skins seems crazy to me, but I don't understand why the skins market is doing well while my proposal would make everything terrible :'D

Wortox does absurd things and even Woormwood doesn't joke :'D
And anyway, the fact that an OP character is immediately available means that nobody starts at a disadvantage (compared to what, then? I repeat, it's a collaborative game)

As i can see, the point here is that placing game mechanics behind a microtransaction scheme will:

-  create a pay-to-win scenario wherein more privileged, richer people can gain in-game advantages with skins over people who only have the funds to buy the game, or have to go through the entire tedious process of unweaving and weaving daily drops, thus widening skill gaps, learning curves, prejudices and thus creating a much wider schism between players than the schism you have already envisioned. Despite DST being a collaborative game, in the end certain advantages in the form of characters locked behind a paywall has already damaged the experience of some players who disagreed with the concept of Wortox and Wormwood being locked behind a paywall and thus creating that schism you mentioned. 

I believe it can be done in a month. Considering how slow DST is in being updated I think it's a bearable amount of time. To me personally it is neither hot nor cold to have to wait a little longer.

- This adds an unnecessary level of detail and coding that is in the end hard to accomplish considering Klei's goals, workforce and workloads, not to mention the sheer amount of skins and the kinds of attributes you have to check and balance such that the skins are "balanced". 

- what are you going to do about all those new commons that got added in? what about structure skins? Twitch drops? do they get effects now, too? if this is only restricted to distiguished/elegants, which are as of the moment fetch high prices on the community market or have a high weave cost, the pay-to-win is clear here.

- what is more, adding valuable effects to skins reduces the value of ingame-items. IF you would, for example, give a skin a bit of freezing resist, people would buy that skin instead of making insulation items. It would disrupt balance in more ways than you could imagine.

- possibly create new animosities to the developers, considering that considering that Don't Starve Together isn't FTP, leading to some accusations that Don't Starve's developers are just into microtransactions just to milk DST more and likening them to EA (though this is all speculation I believe this is the most probable outcome).

The 0.001 percent of Klei users on the forum for a few weeks would be so angry! Then they too would go ahead, or other fans would take their place.
The remaining 99.999 percent of users would not care highly, indeed, it would be pleasantly surprised to be able to take advantage of new skills with their wardrobe. :D

where did you get these numbers?

4 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

PvP in DST is something that shouldn't be there. They have already changed the characters for PvP and ruined them (Willow, Woodie ...)
So let's fly over PvP. When it is completely reworked it will become an important point in every discussion (I'm serious!) But right now it's just something ugly and awkward, hastily inserted and left to die badly. A really negligible percentage of players plays PvP, and mainly all Wickerbottom. Paradoxically, the enhanced skins would give more variety in PvP choice.

Skins giving benefits changes not the fact that PVP Wickers are top picks because they have Sleepytime Stories, or that Webbers are top picks because they can swarm and take over bases with spiders, or the wigfrids who dominate ealry game and rush the Glommer Panflute, et cetera.

Has anyone said "Gorge Tournament"? The most bankrupt tournament in history?? :afro:

Even the multiplayer should never have been born, and instead... even the paid characters there should never have been, and instead... the future is strange. :D

- why include this baseless statement in your argument? when did the gorge ever go bankrupt and how does a tournament go bankrupt?

- Sure the future is strange, but your idea is still, in our collective opinion, unsound.

This doesn't really seem like a good idea.

Honestly, the only concept I can see that would work without locking new players out of a meta (either due to the lack of spools or the lack of money they may have) would be to have skins have different quotes for different things.

20 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

First, willow and woodie were changed due to griefing, which is a different topic from PVP entirely

I don't know about Woodie, but Willow was definitely not changed due to griefing. That's a common misconception that doesn't even make any sense when you consider a torch can be crafted within minutes of spawning in, and the lighter can be used immediately after spawning as Willow. Willow's fire immunity was removed because of PvP, which was a very popular gamemode at the time (I remember Flare2V, one of the biggest DS/T streamers back then, played it constantly), because it meant she was the only character who would not take fire damage from a torch, which is one of the main ways to damage and confuse a heavily-armored player, so she absolutely dominated PvP for the time before she was changed.

1 minute ago, Sunset Skye said:

I don't know about Woodie, but Willow was definitely not changed due to griefing. That's a common misconception that doesn't even make any sense when you consider a torch can be crafted within minutes of spawning in, and the lighter can be used immediately after spawning as Willow. Willow's fire immunity was removed because of PvP, which was a very popular gamemode at the time (I remember Flare2V, one of the biggest DS/T streamers back then, played it constantly), because it meant she was the only character who would not take fire damage from a torch, which is one of the main ways to damage and confuse a heavily-armored player, so she absolutely dominated PvP for the time before she was changed.

i see, thanks for clarifying. i'll clear that up :)

Archived