Launch Upgrade Now Open for Testing! [346893]

The map for exploring the new biomes, Aboria, has an interesting problem.  You won't see diffusers quickly enough. You will be involved in either fern farming or seriously high speed exploration very quickly to deal with the lack of algae, unless you're lucky.

I'm apparently not lucky.  Well, it keeps things interesting....

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

The map for exploring the new biomes, Aboria, has an interesting problem.  You won't see diffusers quickly enough. You will be involved in either fern farming or seriously high speed exploration very quickly to deal with the lack of algae, unless you're lucky.

Well, I had enough domesticated fern to support 3 dupes and fortunately I did not print more. By cycle 16, things were pretty stable though. I think it is an appropriate map-specific difficulty.

Edited by Gurgel

59 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

On all the Arborias I've looked at so far, rushing rust deoxys or just rushing electrolyzers was a very viable option.

some seaweed plant is drowning in salt water.  is that normal?

1 hour ago, WanderingKid said:

I noticed that too.   oxygenfern seems to be only source of O2  since  no algae= regular means to do oxygen for a while.

6 hours ago, Giltirn said:

Not happy with this wheezewort nerf. How are we supposed to do general cooling now?

It's not as hard as you think.  I've been playing on a QoL MkIII world where I am not using Wheezeworts.  I wanted to try using Steam Turbines and Water Sieves to cool -- stuff I had to actually engineer.

One cooling loop with a thermal aquatuner was more than enough for simple base cooling.  P-Water as coolant, and P-water as a heat sink works well.  I was suprised to see that it had many advantages over using a SPOM and I actually prefer it now:

• You can put the cooling loop where you want so you can cool your farms directly
  • The O2 and cooling systems run independently so you can cool without having to create oxygen.
  • You can simply add more electrolyzers if you need more oxygen
  • It's much easier to build and service than a SPOM.
  • I can save the hydrogen.

The fact that it just works shouldn't be so suprising if you do the math.  Electrolyzer output is say 1kg/s and you want to cool it 45 degrees.  Oxygen's specific heat is 1/4 that of water, so moving this heat will heat up 1kg of water by roughly 11 degrees.  Then per tile, water is 5 times as dense as oxygen, so you are heating up 1 tile of water 2 degrees with an electrolyzer.

This is easily a quantity of heat you could delete with a Water Sieve.  And indeed the oni-assistant cooling calculator puts this 40kDTU, or 137g/s input into one Water Sieve.

1 hour ago, tzionut said:

You can have copper ore in the printing pod. So need patience. 

I believe you can't print copper ore unless it has been discovered (unless that has been changed).  And it can't be discovered if it isn't there to begin with.

Edited by angrybovine
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, SakuraKoi said:
  • No clay on the map on (Arboria)
  • There is no marsh biome on Arboria which should imho have it

I think it's like this so players are forced to think differently with their resources 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Trego said:

On all the Arborias I've looked at so far, rushing rust deoxys or just rushing electrolyzers was a very viable option.

While true, the thought of having all that chlorine floating around my base before I've build a containment system means I'll be rolling with oxyferns for a while.

30 minutes ago, BaloneyOs said:

So does discovering the existence of copper ore wires and doors in ruins areas enable copper ore care packages? Or do we have to deconstruct those wires to enable?

In this game metal and ore is not interchangeable. So, if you don't have copper ore - this means you don't have copper ore. Of course, if Klei doesn't change mechanic silently.

So, on maps without copper ore Jet is only way

Aw I was hoping for some nuclear reactors or something in this update but :c Wonder if they add more buildings as the preview goes on, like sulfur has no use, ethanol seems to have not many uses etc

• Like 1

A big big thank you Klei for the changes! I had best experience ever with my fresh "toasty" colony.  Slim survival chance was a blast for me. Don't want to spoiler stuff.
Very good experience :)
I bet on "easy" new players could have a very nice experience too.
29-thank-you-meme-27.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BaloneyOs said:

So does discovering the existence of copper ore wires and doors in ruins areas enable copper ore care packages? Or do we have to deconstruct those wires to enable?

You need to deconstruct the wires\doors\ect in the ruins to discover the materials, but you can't deconstruct components in ruins unless you use a mod (like the POI deconstructable mod).

7 hours ago, Prince Mandor said:

In this game metal and ore is not interchangeable. So, if you don't have copper ore - this means you don't have copper ore. Of course, if Klei doesn't change mechanic silently.

So, on maps without copper ore Jet is only way

What about reed fibers?

Just now, goboking said:

I would hope that every map has either slime biomes (thimble reeds) or caustic biomes (dreckos).

I like the different maps which result in different play requirements but I feel there are some maps which will break key game mechanics either by being missing things, like copper, or it having a large barrier like needing demos to get exosuits...or needing to find a biome with dirt just to start research