Please make stone slabs renewable!!

JosePapp

As the devs are still clearly working on optimizing Hamlet to the max, I'd really like it if stone slabs flipped back down after 10-20 days. 

Not only would that cooldown be balanced,  but it'd make bean bugs and gummy slugs renewable, unless of course they'd like to add a bug farm structure. What do you guys think?

I was leaving the flipped slabs unbroken, hoping that maybe they'd flip down again after a while. I think that making them give new flipping items after a significant amount of time (10-20 days sounds about right to me) makes perfect sense. So much sense that I'd assumed it was already the case for a long time before finding out it wasn't. ^o^;>

31 minutes ago, Majestix said:

It would bring the game completely out of balance if they flipped back down. Why do people not see that the scarcity of resources and the challenging nature of the DLC are by design.

Resource scarcity is a joke anyway when you figure out how easy it is to obtain oincs.  

Being able to get an extra grass or flint from a stone 20 days later is trivial in comparison. 

34 minutes ago, Majestix said:

It would bring the game completely out of balance if they flipped back down. Why do people not see that the scarcity of resources and the challenging nature of the DLC are by design.

Without them 2 really good crock pot recipes become obsolete.

34 minutes ago, Majestix said:

*pulls a rock out from under a slab*

ALL MY NEEDS ARE FULFILLED!!! 

14 minutes ago, MWY said:

*pulls a rock out from under a slab*

ALL MY NEEDS ARE FULFILLED!!! 

Very funny. But there are lots of these slabs, we are talking about an extra 40 or so rocks every 20 days, plus some gold, ingredients for two of the best recipes in the game, etc. It would remove a large part of the challenge that people have of getting through the early game in Hamlet.

1 minute ago, Majestix said:

Very funny. But there are lots of these slabs, we are talking about an extra 40 or so rocks every 20 days, plus some gold, ingredients for two of the best recipes in the game, etc. It would remove a large part of the challenge that people have of getting through the early game in Hamlet.

Rocks are already more common than air due to the Ancient Hulk.

18 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Rocks are already more common than air due to the Ancient Hulk.

What percentage of Hamlet players has beaten the Ancient Hulk, in your estimate? "All you have to do is kill one of the main bosses in the game" is not a serious response to the argument that Hamlet was meant to be challenging, particularly in the early game.

56 minutes ago, Majestix said:

dude, these slabs are emplaced in biomes where you can't find no more then 10 at best without walking around for a full day and the distance between each slab is more then enough that you will find buying rocks more faster then picking slab after slab, and have you forgotten about Cave Clefts/Tombs where one can find rocks, gold, gems, grass and flint very very easily, and lets not forget about Gnat Mounds, those are literally Mineral Mines that get remade by Gnats swarms each time you destroy them for resources, which mean unlimited supply of minerals without much effort.

the big reason why these slabs should renew is due to Gummy Slugs and Bean Bugs, those two foods are limited in the world due to non-renewable slabs and the biggest reason why I personally want Slabs to turn over after a rain or something else.

They are the alternative to Mushrooms from DS and Limpet Rocks from SW so they should be renewable like them.

2 hours ago, Majestix said:

If in 20 days you can't find a better alternative for any of those things than waiting 2/3 of the game year to walk around all day long for days flipping over some rocks, you're doing it very, very wrong. Even the most inexperienced player should discover significantly better and more reliable ways to get those things, like gnat mounds and dung balls. I don't think those crock pot recipes being renewable is worth making much fuss about, but people like stuff to be renewable and it would have practically zero effect on the difficulty curve.

I'm curious what this line of code does in the rock_flippable.lua file:

local function getregentimefn(inst)
    if inst.components.pickable then
        local num_cycles_passed = math.min(inst.components.pickable.max_cycles - inst.components.pickable.cycles_left, 0)
        return TUNING.FLIPPABLE_ROCK_REPOPULATE_TIME + TUNING.FLIPPABLE_ROCK_REPOPULATE_INCREASE * num_cycles_passed + math.random() * TUNING.FLIPPABLE_ROCK_REPOPULATE_VARIANCE
    else
        return TUNING.FLIPPABLE_ROCK_REPOPULATE_TIME
    end
end

Maybe the game repopulates flippable rocks if they're broken?

Or maybe it does nothing?

23 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

I'm curious what this line of code does in the rock_flippable.lua file:

local function getregentimefn(inst)
    if inst.components.pickable then
        local num_cycles_passed = math.min(inst.components.pickable.max_cycles - inst.components.pickable.cycles_left, 0)
        return TUNING.FLIPPABLE_ROCK_REPOPULATE_TIME + TUNING.FLIPPABLE_ROCK_REPOPULATE_INCREASE * num_cycles_passed + math.random() * TUNING.FLIPPABLE_ROCK_REPOPULATE_VARIANCE
    else
        return TUNING.FLIPPABLE_ROCK_REPOPULATE_TIME
    end
end

Maybe the game repopulates flippable rocks if they're broken?

Or maybe it does nothing?

It would give the pickable component a time to wait before returning the slabs to a pickable state, except that they're deliberately set up in such a way that this function will never get called. I assume the function is still set so that the game doesn't fall apart if this does get called for some unknown reason.

9 hours ago, MWY said:

Stone Slabs should flip down after a rain, not only will this make them "Regenerate" like Mushrooms do in DS but also become very attached to the environment like Limpet Rocks etc.

that would actually give a reason to include fog in my world

6 hours ago, Majestix said:

you say 20 days early game?

ok...

4 minutes ago, Majestix said:

This is like demanding that the pig heads are made renewable. The sole purpose of the slabs is to help out in the first few days, after that you are supposed to find other sources of food/stones/etc. What's the obsession with the recipes? If the devs had not introduced the bean bugs and gummy slugs at all, everybody would be happy (except for 4 Da LOLs, of course, who wants this game to be at the complexity level of tic tac toe).

Pig Skin is renewable, Slugs and Beans are not.

1 hour ago, Majestix said:

This is like demanding that the pig heads are made renewable. The sole purpose of the slabs is to help out in the first few days, after that you are supposed to find other sources of food/stones/etc. What's the obsession with the recipes? If the devs had not introduced the bean bugs and gummy slugs at all, everybody would be happy (except for 4 Da LOLs, of course, who wants this game to be at the complexity level of tic tac toe).

Nobody is demanding anything, let alone something completely absurd, and nobody is obsessed with anything either. Honestly, you seem to have the strongest feelings of anyone in the topic, and it's pretty weird. A lot of the game's players like various resources to be renewable, regardless of how useful they actually are. The only particularly good reason anything isn't made renewable is generally balance, and making these rocks harvestable again after a certain period would have a completely negligible effect on that.

3 hours ago, Majestix said:

I honestly don't think you even have an argument but to humor you, Pig heads are decorative, even though you can hammer them, and pig skin (A largely more powerful/scarce material) is renewable despite its power not only that but rocks are easy to get, mine from village, buy golf, buy tools if in real deep need, etc, oincs make everything you say unimportant for inexperianced player and for an inexperienced player, well, they're inexperienced they'll play die and eventually learn like the rest of us.

2 hours ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Nobody is demanding anything, let alone something completely absurd

Not to mention they're in the game files, so the devs clearly thought about it a lot, and if 20 days if op for some reason (The devs know more then us) then maybe change it, nothing is set in STONE.....

14 hours ago, Majestix said:

just for some extra rocks the game is not going out of balance dude... chill

Archived