The "problem" with ds/t announces

I have no idea what's happening in Klei so what I'm about to say may not even be correct. ...I mean in some places it will be but in some not.

Klei teases something (Hamlet roadmap, Wortox, etc) and gives us somewhat a date. Be it exact date or "mid-March".

Then, as I unfortunatelly have to say, something quite common happens: They're late, date gets pushed and impatient side of community gets angry.

This has happened b4 and the best example is Hamlet itself. It was (correct if I'm wrong) supposed to be released by 2018 June… open beta happened in September. Right now it's Hamlet's roadmap and Wortox. Both were supposed to start/release mid-March. Mid-March is here (and starts to end) and Hamlet finally got an update with content. If Klei however releases Wortox tomorrow then it's all good, cuz they kept the date.

What I'm trying to say is:

Klei you don't need to push yourself so much. Before you announce anything, especially if you're going to add date make sure that that something is done.

I'm patient so don't take this as personal but I'm sure there're more impatient people in this community than there're patient ones.

And it's just not working out, announcing something that won't be done by the date you've announced.

Nah, klei deserves all the lee way they need.

trust me you haven't seen how bad it gets until you're following companies such as valve software for 15 years.

klei are PR gods compared to all AAA developers out there.

To people who do want content asap, patience takes literally nothing for you to do. Just come in, check on updates and that's it. If something doesn't come up for a very long time, may be it's time to ask questions, but I'm sure a lot of content takes months at a time to make, not 2 or so weeks, so you can't expect things to be released just like that all the time.

People get more upset when we don't say anything at all than they do when we're late. We try to be as accurate as possible, but hitting a date isn't the highest priority for us.

Also, announcing stuff limits our ability to make changes, and we make a LOT of changes during development. Most often we announce as soon as we are sure about the content and dates are always a best guess. 

Anyway. I plan on having more info about the next update by Friday. Sooner if I can. Depends on when Vito is confident the details aren't going to change. Yes. Details. 

So just a little longer. 

We're not just going to forget, I promise.  

2 minutes ago, JoeW said:

People get more upset when we don't say anything at all than they do when we're late. We try to be as accurate as possible, but hitting a date isn't the highest priority for us.

Also, announcing stuff limits our ability to make changes, and we make a LOT of changes during development. Most often we announce as soon as we are sure about the content and dates are always a best guess. 

Anyway. I plan on having more info about the next update by Friday. Sooner if I can. Depends on when Vito is confident the details aren't going to change. Yes. Details. 

So just a little longer. 

Spoiler

this is why you are husbando.

1 minute ago, JoeW said:

So just a little longer. 

Honestly, if you could just say something whenever [date] hits like "Hey Guys, sorry we will have to delay [content] for a bit since we aren't ready yet" or just something similar to just give us some information and not sit here "HYPE HYPE, CONTENT TOMRROW!!!" until the disappointment arrives.

I've been hyped all the weeks (this and before) for the new character, yet my hype semi died down because nothing was said that it was gonna be delayed. We just want you to share some more info with us if something goes road B instead of road A

35 minutes ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

Honestly, if you could just say something whenever [date] hits like "Hey Guys, sorry we will have to delay [content] for a bit since we aren't ready yet" or just something similar to just give us some information and not sit here "HYPE HYPE, CONTENT TOMRROW!!!" until the disappointment arrives.

I've been hyped all the weeks (this and before) for the new character, yet my hype semi died down because nothing was said that it was gonna be delayed. We just want you to share some more info with us if something goes road B instead of road A

As with anything, expect the best yet prepare for the worst: take to heart and hope mid-March-and-whatnot is the relative date of said update, but expect it realistically at end of March or beginning of April - thus you will never be (majorly) disappointed :black_eyed:

Personally I like the roadmaps, even if they can't hit the dates. Because the roadmaps show progress ,they show that the game is alive and will have content !

To tell the turth I stoped playing DST (and DS) for a long time and coming back only for events (and the event got boring in 2-3 weeks). That had me lose interest in a favorite game. !I'm here for the survival not the arena or the cooking show! But after seeing the roadmap for DST my hope is back, my hype is back and I'm back in the forum.

Now I'm really happy about the upcoming updates. Once again I feel hyped about DST. And intrigued in what new ways poor Wilson can die xD. Really glad that they decided to update DST again (I mean with permanent content). And I hope there will be even more big content drops after the April one.

Lastly I hope for late late game content (100/200/300+ days). But for that let's wait and see what will come with April.

what would be cool is if Klei would call a release date extremely far off to the point that it would be months after the approximate release so when they have it done they release it earlier than the date

just so no hype spam comes and also its nice to bend expectations

15 hours ago, Szczuku said:

it's just that I've seen quite some "where's the xontent?" posts

The real problem being the people on these forums that have too much time on their hands, and prefer writing manure posts at regular intervals rather than patiently waiting and in the meantime doing something productive, while Klei are also being productive. Honestly, most of the time reading these forums is like having two impatient 5 year olds in the back of the car, and that has nothing to do with the developer.

I think the "problem" here is because the majority of Klei fanbase might be 15-21 years old users, so they have a lot of free time.

But as a service provider, you should never blame the users, you should find a better way to communicate with them, and manage their expectations. 

For me, the "Mid-March" announcement is quite clear and people (including myself) expect 15 March +- 3 days (most of them don't know/care about regular Thursday release I think). An announcement like "Will be ready in several weeks", then "A few weeks" would be better and don't create the hype much

When it comes to pushing updates back and the impatient part of the community, there's not much they can do anyway except wait. Take the Reignited trilogy for example. When the date was pushed back, many people understood but there were also many people unhappy with it. Though despite how unhappy they were, nothing they said or did could push them to release it sooner.

As for announcement times, they probably could have limited it down to the entirety of March or by the end of said month then no one will be getting impatient right now (not me, I know games take time and Klei work hard enough as it is ^^; )

I agree with Maknov. I would rather have quality over quantity.

On 3/20/2019 at 9:33 PM, JoeW said:

People get more upset when we don't say anything at all than they do when we're late.

not really, we waited around a year without any announcement and nobody even cared, some did as it has been a year or so with little to nothing about the future of the game, but most just knew Klei was working on something, i mean they are always.

People will get more upset when something is pushed back

i sometimes have to deal with personal stuff that require timing, so i just give a date that i think i am capable of doing that thing + 10-20 days
i mean what's unhealthy about being early ?
sooner than later.

Archived