Complete aporkalypse rework idea

On 12/19/2018 at 1:24 PM, Angel_Octoling said:

Oh, but while it doesn't attack you, in DST Grass does uproot itself to become Grass Geckos. Yes, the grass can run. And they're plotting something, I know it.

Also, new animations for Pog and BFB being hostile sounds rather neat.

You had to mention Grass Geckos. NOW I'M EVEN MORE EXCITED FOR THE QOL UPDATE!!!

On 12/13/2018 at 1:05 AM, Raspberry Milk said:

This is a rather stupid idea, but perhaps those cork trees could try to kill you somehow? They DO look like hands. Maybe other basic resources could become more dangerous to collect as well.

On 12/13/2018 at 1:17 AM, Raspberry Milk said:

Because grass attacking you is pretty out there, even for DS. However, I still think it's cool. Maybe it could grow tiny little hands, and like, slash at you. The more I say it the more I want it.

a61c2552289817.5baf9e4d803fb.jpg

That was a concept that was proposed.

On 19.12.2018 at 9:49 PM, Marquillotuca said:

Obviosuly, Klei need to re-think the whole Aporkalypse since it's kind of "not a hell". I would actually make the first Aporkalypse unstopabble  and I would do really heavy changes in the world. For example, I would add earthquakes that could destroy structures and buildings (making the Shantay not a choice), meteor showers that could do the same, I would make the vegetables and fruit resources enter a phase where they can't be harvested (meaning you can only survive with the food you stored), I would extend the poison gas to other biomes, I would create some mobs (like the Guardian tree) that make the resources collecting dangerous,  and  finally, if you don't stop the aporkalypse on x days, the world is destroyed and you get a beautiful game over. 

Slow down devil!
Having your buildings simply destroyed and burned down is unfair. Unless it would be the Harold himself making this mess, so you need to lure him away from base, kinda like you do with volcanic eruptions.

I love the idea of world ending and character dying, though. What if you escape Hamlet to SW/RoG and let the plateau be totally destroyed? Will it just create new Hamlet world?

I want to give some honest feedback to the developers and this thread seems a decent one.  I tend to favor RPG's, Strategy, and Survival Horror games.  My style of play is that of a collector.  I enjoy building up resources and overcoming obstacles.  That said, as much as I like Don't Starve, it often has long sections that I consider unplayable or pure slog.  Slog isn't fun.  I will add that my play style and opinions are not going to match everyone else's out there, but because there ARE different people attracted to this game who do have different play styles, I wanted to offer information based on my experience of the game.  (i.e.  My opinion isn't really for discussion, but I hope you add your own so Klei can consider and tailor as they see fit.) 

1.  Yes, Aporkalypse would be better as a season you can turn off.

2.  Problem/Bug:  Houses and Lamp buttons are too large.  I can't pick up seeds or manure or effectively run from the Masked Pig because the houses and lamps block them even though visible and I move sideways across the screen.  The need to rotate becomes detrimental given the length of time allowed for reaction.

3.  Problem/Bug:  Pigs move normally in fog when you can't.  Selling things when you can't get in range gets harder than intended.  Related:  Pigs who have done trades should alter in color.  There is no clear way to differentiate otherwise as they are identical and it kills the short day-length chasing the wrong pig.

4.  Problem:  Not having fixed item shelves for tools or medicines.  Most RPG's don't require you to purchase unnecessary equipment in hopes of getting to one you do want.  Again, getting coins is difficult as there are limited resources to collect early on.  You don't want to buy 3 pickaxes when you need a backpack.  Likewise, trying to survive being poisoned is extremely difficult already.  Poison doesn't stop no matter how long you keep your health up.  (This has always been a slog issue to me.  Poisons run their course if you can live long enough.)  So having the healing salves, honey poultices, and antivenins as constant would help game play. 

Conversely, the random variety of the food shop is not detrimental, but it would be nice to have some of the racks stay in the 1-5 oinc range while others are the 5-10 oinc range.

5.  Guard Pigs should not continue to have a bounty on you when the item has grown back or been dropped.  Alternatively, they should be able to have the bounty bought off instead of hunting you eternally.

6.  Shelves should be able to hold one full stack of an item just as it can be stacked in the backpack.

7.  Interesting:  Masked Pig   Slog:  Guard Pigs collecting your coins when the Masked Pig knocks them everywhere.  It isn't easy to get coins given the short day-length vs the incredibly long sprawling length the towns tend to be.  Since the initial resources, such as asparagus, turnips, and exotic flowers are limited and require further and further exploration in the field, such losses are large set-backs in preparation for the later seasons.

8.  Pogs should have a visual change when rabid.

3 hours ago, Gyrefalcon said:

Pogs should have a visual change when rabid.

They do

image.png.4673a6c179926ddf36af08a158fe7ae2.png

Guard Pigs should not continue to have a bounty on you when the item has grown back or been dropped.  Alternatively, they should be able to have the bounty bought off instead of hunting you eternally.

You can pay 10 oincs for them to forget you

Interesting:  Masked Pig   Slog:  Guard Pigs collecting your coins when the Masked Pig knocks them everywhere.  It isn't easy to get coins given the short day-length vs the incredibly long sprawling length the towns tend to be

This is a fine feature. No need to change it. Also it is easy to get oinks early on. You just need to be good and have a little bit of luck 

Problem/Bug:  Houses and Lamp buttons are too large.  I can't pick up seeds or manure or effectively run from the Masked Pig because the houses and lamps block them

Lamps don't have a big hitbox. Every town is naturally generated with sidewalks between houses. Also masked pig follows you, so you don't have to cpmfront it the moment you see it.

6 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Lamps don't have a big hitbox. Every town is naturally generated with sidewalks between houses. Also masked pig follows you, so you don't have to cpmfront it the moment you see it.

Houses definitely have hit boxes that are too big, though. If you build something like a crockpot or chest near one, you can very clearly click on the item and end up examining the house

One of the biggest problems with Aporkalypse is that it is meant to be hard... yet it can be avoided with SINGLE PRESS OF A BUTTON. Also aporkalypse doesn't reward player in any way. So what is the point of it being in game?

If Klei wanted to make something hardcore, so players could only play if they desire, then why not make something like adventure mode in Hamlet?

I agree it would be better if aporkalypse were 4th season, and clock would only delay boss spawn or something like that.

28 minutes ago, FeNniX said:

One of the biggest problems with Aporkalypse is that it is meant to be hard... yet it can be avoided with SINGLE PRESS OF A BUTTON. Also aporkalypse doesn't reward player in any way. So what is the point of it being in game?

If Klei wanted to make something hardcore, so players could only play if they desire, then why not make something like adventure mode in Hamlet?

I agree it would be better if aporkalypse were 4th season, and clock would only delay boss spawn or something like that.

It's not that they were aiming for something to be an optional event or anything, but rather something to give the player to outright want to avoid.

And to be fair, an Apocalypse really wouldn't have much to spare, and I'm fine with that. The end of the world really doesn't sound like the friendliest neighbor. 

While Aporkalypse doesn't feel hectic enough or finished right now, (music, and ETC) I'm 50/50 about there being any kind of upside to it, however, I will say that the effort of reaching the clock to stop the end of the world just in time feels amazing.

On 13/1/2019 at 7:16 AM, Maslak said:

Slow down devil!
Having your buildings simply destroyed and burned down is unfair. Unless it would be the Harold himself making this mess, so you need to lure him away from base, kinda like you do with volcanic eruptions.

I love the idea of world ending and character dying, though. What if you escape Hamlet to SW/RoG and let the plateau be totally destroyed? Will it just create new Hamlet world?

Well, I think you're right haha, it's just I  want a real challenge haha

And what about having your structures back once you stop the aporkalypse?  Maybe the builder pigs can help you?

Well now that it's necro'd, I was thinking.

The ancient Herald possibly has some connection to the shadow creatures, correct?

the Iron hulks are always active in this event, and, according to the wiki, can attack shadow creatures, and even have special animations for it. 

so, what if Klei made the Aporkalypse much more hostile, but made it so that instead of just surviving X amount of time, The player has to help the iron hulks assemble, Which allows the assembled hulk to properly defeat the ancient Herald and end the Aporkalypse?

Ok so my 1st rework idea was more of a "let's take what already exists and try to make it better". 

This'll be another aporcalypse rework I had in mind. Except that this one would probably require a lot of work.

Aporcalypse a season like in the 1st one. Read original post for details

Ruins with aporcalypse clock are removed. Instead the 5th island has a Church with 4 cultist pigs that we can't interact with, only examine. In the middle of the Church there'd a statue of Ancient Herald. Cultist pigs when approached would say stuff like "17 sunrises untill His arrival". That would be the only way to know when aporcalypse starts.

About the season itself. Full moon. Fix for warrior mants spawning in unhealthy ammoumts. No seasonal effects occur. Bat waves are cut in numbers (6 per wave) and happen every 5 days but we get a new apocalyptic bats. A stronger variant.

-Waaaay more creepy ambiance and stuff. Special theme/herald's echoing roar when event begins.

-Rainforest trees would look corrupted

-Cork trees would move like an actuall hand and attack anything that gets near

-Herald statue would have blood and nightmare fuel pouring out of it.

-Water in the lake could look more red like blood. 

-Gnat swarm would act much more aggresive. New animation etc. When it attacks it'd actually be a real problem

-Pogs get new animations when rabid

-Ruins have 2 ghosts per room and maybe some new cossmetics

About Harald 

-Forced boss at the end of the season. Announces his arrival with roars/shadowy stuff

-More hp maybe 2k

-New attacks: his summon is completely changed. Instead of monster spam he'd summon shadow versions of ruins dart and spear traps around himself and under our feet respectively. They'd trigger after 2 sec. Another new attack would be a projectile that does 50 sanity dmg.

Not gonna lie, I'm not too keen on seasons being different shades of water management, so as I tried to think about what could work as a change, I thought of This War of Mine where there's kind of a violent season much like OP suggested, so here I am rooting for the idea.

Also another thing I forgot to add were Herald's drops.

He'd drop his scarf. It'd be used in crafting wormhole. Since y'know shadow magic and stuff. Plus he comes out of the ground.

You'd have to place it once somewhere and again in another place

I think the aporkalipse needs one main thing, to escalate.

First day of aporkalipse would start making everything agressive: Pikos, Pogs etc and maybe a small amount of bats.

Second day the herald wold appear but a little weaker than the one rigth now, you will need to kill it if you want to be able to stop the aporkalipse

Third day: The clock will activate and you will be able to stop the aporkalipse.

If you dont stop it the amount of mobs will start increasing each day, at day 5 a stronger, more destructive Herald will appear but it will be neutral to the player, killing it will instantly stop the aporkalipse and make the world ""restart"", most mobs will die ( but not go extint), after all, an apocalipse just happened.( It will also help with mobs conquering the entire world and making each other go extint)

Each stage coud also bring some new bosses with better loot. (like the merged iron robot)

Personally I think that aporkalypse is an event thought well enough: a new player will never survive, the first time I arrived I barricaded myself at home to prepare myself and while I was building the equipment I saw with horror and dismay entering the house ancient herald who, in a single gesture, destroyed everything I had laboriously built in sixty days. The second game I discovered I had to stop it: I died drowned desperately trying to reach the entrance to the ruins of the calendar, while an army of bites bite my fragile raft. If this is not apocalyptic, tell me. I have read of people who want this event even more catastrophic, but I disagree: a game must be well balanced, neither easy  much nor unnecessarily frustrating.

Currently I believe that Aporkalipse is in the right place, and that at most there should be a sixth island where to fight a new boss that manifests only during the event, a kind of new herald of which the one that arrives periodically is just an avatar.
It would be the challenge for the most veteran players but without unnecessarily penalizing the most inexperienced and calm, and should give a unique booty: perhaps a red cape that allows you to use all the skills of the herald? (Summon frogs, spirits, shadows, drop meteors, generate waves of fire, etc ...).
In any case, playing with the idea of having to stop a timer for "the end of the world" is really suggestive if you identify yourself, I really hope it does not become a trivial season like autumn or winter.

Archived