Would Passing One SW Character to DST be Good Advertising for the DLC?

So something I've been noticing around public servers, that a lot of people don't actually know about Shipwrecked, as they only have DST.

Perhaps passing characters from SW would help raise awareness (and as a by-product would please a lot of SW fans)

There's three problems though: A) A lot of the character's mechanics are dependant on the SW ocean. B) A lot of the character designs and personality's are dependant on the ocean and tropical setting (it's a bit odd seeing a Monkey run around in the woods). C) DS and DST should be different enough to warrant buying both games.

But what if you had only one character and like re-worked a lot to make him different from SW and fit into DST. I think Woodlegs would be the best option, hear me out here.

He's the perfect poster child for Shipwrecked (he's a pirate) and a pirate in the DST world actually fit well (pirates aren't tied to just tropical settings like the other SW characters).

But how would you do Woodlegs when he's all about boating? Here's my rework:

- Woodlegs starts with, and can craft, a Lucky Hat and a Spyglass. The spyglass is a tool that fits tonally with DST and would be really interesting in multiplayer because not only does it reveal the land, but the players on that land. You could spy on and track other players from a distance without them ever knowing. In PVP, he'd be good in hunting packs, as he could help find players way quicker. Also, because the world is always changing because of players, it would have endless use.

- Lot of Sanity dynamics. Gets a sanity boost by being close to the ocean, so player's would benefit from setting base down at the coast. Gets a sanity boost by eating fish. There won't be a sanity drain from being on the land, but his Sanity would be low. Maybe a 100 like Webber, or even lower.

- His Lucky Hat is similar to SW, but works at a slower rate and only works on Woodlegs. Again, I think this mechanic would be really interesting in DST. It's very similar to 7 Days to Die, where you go together in a team to hunt for treasure. 

- I was also thinking that some of treasure could have certain loot items from Shipwrecked. Not anything big though, just stuff like Snakeskin Rugs or a blueprint for a Chimenea. Just give people a taste of what they are missing.

- Quicker fisher. He fishes from ponds 10% quicker. Making him the teams fisherman. 

I think Warly would be the best suited, starting with a portable crock pot and being able to craft more portable crock pots for friends if they want to have one (being more expensive than a regular one, that is). I see a lot of advantages about being a nomad with a portable crock pot, specially in the caves/ruins and even more during early game.

The rework I'd give him is to give him several unique recipes only he can craft (any other person trying to make them will get wet goop) and these recipes can provide unique bonuses harder to obtain otherwise: EG:
- A recipe that raises natural cold resistance to a certain number , let's say 60 base insulation, and gives 50% freezing/cold damage resistance, and effects lasts half a day. This recipe also increase your vulnerability to fire damage by 20% for the duration.
- Another recipe that increases overheat insulation to a base of 60 and gives 50% fire damage resistance, and effects lasts half a day. This recipe could also increase your vulnerability to cold damage by 20% for the duration.
- A recipe that restores 60 sanity but instead of giving it instantly it regenerates overtime, 1 sanity every 2 seconds. But also makes you somewhat more hungry for the duration (Not that much, lets say 10% more hungry)
- A recipe that makes every 4th hit you punch to the same enemy deal 30% more damage, effect lasts half a day.
- A recipe that when eaten, deals to that being 100 damage over time at a 2 damage/sec rate, and makes it slower (poisoned dish for enemies to eat. Or masochist Wes players. Does not stack)
- A cheap, slow spoilage aperitive recipe that Amps by 30% the bonuses of whatever next food you eat within the next minute. This amplification will only work on non-warly exclusive recipes (so no eating amp and then amplify the next amplify and so on... no. Also jellybeans are not considered food). This would work for, lets say, getting more hunger from a meatball, more healing from a fishstick, etc. As a con this aperitive removes your sanity by 5.
- [Your recipe idea goes here]

Recipes should be fairly cheap to make, with ingredients found in DST. As a general Con he can get a balanced for DSt version of picky eater: Less gained from eating raw or roasted ingredients, gets more hunger/health/sanity values from crock pot food but diminishing returns if he eats the same thing within 1 day.

TL;DR: he can have personal special abilities based on food, he can benefit the team making special "magic" food only he can make, and he can benefit the team if they need to carry a portable crock pot (I can see Wigfrids and Wolfgangs happy on this one)

41 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I think Warly would be the best suited, starting with a portable crock pot and being able to craft more portable crock pots for friends if they want to have one (being more expensive than a regular one, that is). I see a lot of advantages about being a nomad with a portable crock pot, specially in the caves/ruins and even more during early game.

The rework I'd give him is to give him several unique recipes only he can craft (any other person trying to make them will get wet goop) and these recipes can provide unique bonuses harder to obtain otherwise: EG:
- A recipe that raises natural cold resistance to a certain number , let's say 60 base insulation, and gives 50% freezing/cold damage resistance, and effects lasts half a day. This recipe also increase your vulnerability to fire damage by 20% for the duration.
- Another recipe that increases overheat insulation to a base of 60 and gives 50% fire damage resistance, and effects lasts half a day. This recipe could also increase your vulnerability to cold damage by 20% for the duration.
- A recipe that restores 60 sanity but instead of giving it instantly it regenerates overtime, 1 sanity every 2 seconds. But also makes you somewhat more hungry for the duration (Not that much, lets say 10% more hungry)
- A recipe that makes every 4th hit you punch to the same enemy deal 30% more damage, effect lasts half a day.
- A recipe that when eaten, deals to that being 100 damage over time at a 2 damage/sec rate, and makes it slower (poisoned dish for enemies to eat. Or masochist Wes players. Does not stack)
- A cheap, slow spoilage aperitive recipe that Amps by 30% the bonuses of whatever next food you eat within the next minute. This amplification will only work on non-warly exclusive recipes (so no eating amp and then amplify the next amplify and so on... no. Also jellybeans are not considered food). This would work for, lets say, getting more hunger from a meatball, more healing from a fishstick, etc. As a con this aperitive removes your sanity by 5.

Recipes should be fairly cheap to make, with ingredients found in DST. As a general Con he can get a balanced for DSt version of picky eater: Less gained from eating raw or roasted ingredients, gets more hunger/health/sanity values from crock pot food but diminishing returns if he eats the same thing within 1 day.

TL;DR: he can have personal special abilities based on food, he can benefit the team making special "magic" food only he can make, and he can benefit the team if they need to carry a portable crock pot (I can see Wigfrids and Wolfgangs happy on this one)

Yes, i played with Warly mod. Crockpot and fridge backpack are nice. Would be nice to see Warly in DST

41 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Maybe allowing him to have a "tropical farm" that enables fruits/veg from SW would also be a plus?

As for recipes, he could have a recipe that gives the eater a buff that counters 10% of dmg from foes, but make them slower( 1-2 days), and a recipe that makes the eater emit light, but slowly drains sainty.

2 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

The problem though is that the concept of his character is tied to tropical settings. So he doesn't really fit into DST.

15 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

The problem though is that the concept of his character is tied to tropical settings. So he doesn't really fit into DST.

Hey guys, which SW character should be ported to DST?

"Warl-"

No he's too tropical, next.

That aside, if Klei were to port a character, I do believe it should be one that doesn't need much changing from the originals, such as Wilbur and Warly. There's already splumonkeys that Wilbur can take advantage of underground, and Warly would make a great nomad. I don't think Woodlegs and Walani would be great choices to promote SW because DST players would be playing with heavily edit versions of said character to fit DST, expecting to see the same thing in SW, and be thoroughly disappointed when that's not the case. (See Willow, Woodie, and Maxwell)

43 minutes ago, Chris1488 said:

"Warl-"

That aside, if Klei were to port a character, I do believe it should be one that doesn't need much changing from the originals, such as Wilbur and Warly. There's already splumonkeys that Wilbur can take advantage of underground, and Warly would make a great nomad. I don't think Woodlegs and Walani would be great choices to promote SW because DST players would be playing with heavily edit versions of said character to fit DST, expecting to see the same thing in SW, and be thoroughly disappointed when that's not the case. (See Willow, Woodie, and Maxwell)

Actually splumonkeys treat Wilbur like everyone else, leaving his perks only his poop-throwing and his semi-perk speed/slow.

Possible changes to Wilbur if he would be added to DST:

Splumonkeys can't steal stuff from him or take stuff on the ground that are near Wilbur.

Have the ability to make a structure that makes it so that Splumonkeys can't take stuff from farms, chests etc that are near the structure. Also makes it so that they won't try to steal items that are in other players inventory.

3 hours ago, MrKoopa said:

20 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

"Warl-"

Yeah

Would releasing one SW character be good? DEAR GOD NO!

If Klei were to release JUST ONE character, it'd open up the floodgates and cause the mewling little trolls who've been begging for SW to be ported over to DST to reignite their cause with renewed vigor, along with recruiting more people into their ranks. 

Especially considering the fact that they've been extremely tight lipped about any possibility of doing such a thing for such a long time, only to suddenly back peddle on that and release a SW character? It wouldn't promote players to go back to DS to play SW, it'd cause most people to abandon SW and hop onto DST, because there's now the possibility that SW might be fully ported over.

3 hours ago, MrKoopa said:

Possible changes to Wilbur if he would be added to DST:

Splumonkeys can't steal stuff from him or take stuff on the ground that are near Wilbur.

Have the ability to make a structure that makes it so that Splumonkeys can't take stuff from farms, chests etc that are near the structure. Also makes it so that they won't try to steal items that are in other players inventory.

On a DST enviroment I agree that he should have his perks aimed at cave monkeys/shadow splumonkeys, and he probably should be able to craft  splumonkey pods. This is so even in cave-less worlds he could still get annoying friends.

Perhaps just by being around a Wilbur makes the monkeys gift him stolen stuff, and shadow monkeys could be neutral towards him and whoever is around him. Unlike webber with his spiders, no befriending, just passive help on this case.

Uses: getting pods to farm/eat monkeys, having monkeys pick up harvests for you (like grass or twigs), using them to aggro stuff, (they are pretty weak but with poop flinging they could work as a diversion and buy you time)

1 minute ago, ShadowDuelist said:

On a DST enviroment I agree that he should have his perks aimed at cave monkeys/shadow splumonkeys, and he probably should be able to craft  splumonkey pods. This is so even in cave-less worlds he could still get annoying friends.

Perhaps just by being around a Wilbur makes the monkeys gift him stolen stuff, and shadow monkeys could be neutral towards him and whoever is around him. Unlike webber with his spiders, no befriending, just passive help on this case.

Uses: getting pods to farm/eat monkeys, having monkeys pick up harvests for you (like grass or twigs), using them to aggro stuff, (they are pretty weak but with poop flinging they could work as a diversion and buy you time)

So...super easy mode?

I'm not one of THOSE kind of people, but even I can admit where something is broken. And this is absolutely broken in every way, shape and form.

Just now, ShadowDuelist said:

Okay maybe no shadow monkeys neutrality. #monkeyneutrality

Spoiler

Yeh, Wilbur's not the FCC.

Personally, I'd just be fine if those bloody little bastards didn't steal my shiz and wear my hats whenever they gang bang me during the nightmare cycle. :wilsondisagreeable:

The only way the splumonkey pods would be helpful would be if it was PvP; and befriending them allowed you to send them off to attack other players or just steal their stuff. Then at least I'd have a reasonable answer as to why I burn all splumonkey pods I see on sight. :3

6 hours ago, Chris1488 said:

I do believe it should be one that doesn't need much changing from the originals, such as Wilbur and Warly ... Warly would make a great nomad.

Warly wouldn't be a nomad by choice, of course. He'd just be chased away from any base he tries to join because nobody wants that handicap.

5 hours ago, Chris1488 said:

That could always be changed, it's a minor tweak compared to a complete rehash to Woodlegs or Walani.

Tweaking splumonkey code to make them not be annoying when Wilbur is around would take more work than Winona’s coding took in the first place.

1 hour ago, watermelen671 said:

Would releasing one SW character be good? DEAR GOD NO!

If Klei were to release JUST ONE character, it'd open up the floodgates and cause the mewling little trolls who've been begging for SW to be ported over to DST to reignite their cause with renewed vigor, along with recruiting more people into their ranks. 

Especially considering the fact that they've been extremely tight lipped about any possibility of doing such a thing for such a long time, only to suddenly back peddle on that and release a SW character? It wouldn't promote players to go back to DS to play SW, it'd cause most people to abandon SW and hop onto DST, because there's now the possibility that SW might be fully ported over.

Especially considering there’s a mod that ports over all the SW characters already, I agree it would just feed people with more hope than brains.

59 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

So...super easy mode?

I'm not one of THOSE kind of people, but even I can admit where something is broken. And this is absolutely broken in every way, shape and form.

Here I disagree because while those would be nice perks, Wickerbottom is capable of a lot more.  It really isn’t that broken when you consider that the monkeys would only behave while Wilbur is around, and even in SW with Wilbur they’re annoying as ****.

9 minutes ago, Chris1488 said:

Are you trying to tell me Winona took effort?

No, the real joke is how basic her coding is.  But I can say from experience trying to make splumonkies less annoying, it wasn’t a quick and easy fix to disable the annoying parts, and they get a different and basic brain while im shadowform which does nothing but find and attack.

29 minutes ago, Toros said:

Especially considering there’s a mod that ports over all the SW characters already

I've been summoned.

Personally, I will never be in favor of the excuse of "just use the mod" when it comes to things like this. No matter how much work I or others do to make the characters resemble their singleplayer counter parts it will never feel the same way as it would be it they were officially ported. I'm talking quotes, the art (including more potential fan art of them since dst is more popular), maybe even reworks, the skins. Stuff that can't be matched by what could potentially canonically be.

Also I've definitely said this before but for me I'd rather have all four characters than just one cause then I'd feel like it'd kinda be pointless. Better than nothing of course but I digress.

Also nobody would abandon sw if this happened. The same thousand or so people playing singleplayer/sw now play it because they like to and wouldn't jump ship because "hey maybe the rest of the dlc will be ported to dst in the next 10 years!". Klei could also just say "we won't port the whole dlc, it's too much work, but here's the characters as a fun taste!" and problem solved, imho.

Archived