Would Passing One SW Character to DST be Good Advertising for the DLC?

3 hours ago, Toros said:

Tweaking splumonkey code to make them not be annoying when Wilbur is around would take more work than Winona’s coding took in the first place.

Especially considering there’s a mod that ports over all the SW characters already, I agree it would just feed people with more hope than brains.

Here I disagree because while those would be nice perks, Wickerbottom is capable of a lot more.  It really isn’t that broken when you consider that the monkeys would only behave while Wilbur is around, and even in SW with Wilbur they’re annoying as ****.

Please refrain from using the "just use mods" comments, thank you.

21 hours ago, CheeseNuggets101 said:

I've been summoned.

Personally, I will never be in favor of the excuse of "just use the mod" when it comes to things like this. No matter how much work I or others do to make the characters resemble their singleplayer counter parts it will never feel the same way as it would be it they were officially ported. I'm talking quotes, the art (including more potential fan art of them since dst is more popular), maybe even reworks, the skins. Stuff that can't be matched by what could potentially canonically be.

Also I've definitely said this before but for me I'd rather have all four characters than just one cause then I'd feel like it'd kinda be pointless. Better than nothing of course but I digress.

Also nobody would abandon sw if this happened. The same thousand or so people playing singleplayer/sw now play it because they like to and wouldn't jump ship because "hey maybe the rest of the dlc will be ported to dst in the next 10 years!". Klei could also just say "we won't port the whole dlc, it's too much work, but here's the characters as a fun taste!" and problem solved, imho.

You know better than anyone that it’s a lot of work to make them work like their single-player equivalents and even when you do Walani and Woodlegs could really use a rework (Warly mostly needs a buff/more useful unique recipes).  You and I both know however that Klei has no interest in reworking characters, nor have they expressed any interest in porting anything from SW.  It would be nice if they would, but to do it properly would be a huge change in direction based on their previous actions and frankly they’d need to do a lot of work to get the characters to function any better than they do in your mod.

19 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Please refrain from using the "just use mods" comments, thank you.

I’ll use all the respect I have for you to resist for as long as I can.

Hey guys, you can just use mods!

Warly & Wilbur:

Using the Don't Starve story, Warly and Wilbur are the easiest to justify in a DST world:

Maxwell targeted stage performers and people with dark obsessions/secrets. 

• Wilbur was probably part of a stage act, and could have possibly been from the same circus as some of the other characters.
  • Warly is a cook; Maybe his dark secret is why you can still spawn pig long: he cooks his competition and his critics.
  • Joking on last statement. However, despite Warly not seemingly having dark anythings, nor is he a performer, he looks like he could fit.

Warly and Wilbur are the only two that could be ported without major changes. For the most part, their abilities seem like they could fit well in DST.

Woodlegs:

Woodlegs might not fit thematically (he meets reasons for abduction, but doesn't fit setting). He has one perk that can fit well in DST though:

• Crafting a lucky hat to find an X for rarer resources

Making the cartographer's tab always available to Woodlegs would fit great with his theme of exploration, as well as encouraging co-op play. Also, the spyglass would work well here.

Craftable bombs could be a perk that replaces the Sea Legs. However, I can foresee trolling issues occurring here; maybe they can be extinguished by other players, along with a long fuse time.

If nothing else, maybe he can have a parrot follower that says stuff depending on how close you are to an X. It could negate sleeping and taunt enemies as a disadvantage; it wakes nearby enemies, then taunts enemies towards your location. It could occasionally drop feathers of varying colors, usable for feather pencils and other applications.

So potential perks:

• Cartographer's tab always available
  • Exclusive craftable bombs
  • Parrot that drops feathers and helps find X
  • Start with booty bag that spawns 1 gold per day
  • Increased map reveal range for lucky hat (similar to pirate hat in SW)
  • Sanity gains from finding loot

Potential disadvantages:

•  Perhaps a greater chance to find enemies at an X along with the ability to find rare materials from them.
  • The chance to find nothing at an X is a trade-off on its own (time & hunger for just a small chance to get rare materials)
  • He could move slightly slower than most characters because, you know, wooden pegs for legs.
  • Overall faster sanity drain (less than in SW though.)
  • Annoying parrot that wakes everything up

Walani:

Justifying Walani is similar to Warly: She appears like she'd fit in fine, but seems to lack a dark anything, nor is she a performer.

As far as her perks, she has 2 that could easily translate:

• Dries off 20% quicker
  • Sanity drains 10% slower

That aside, she doesn't really have anything that makes her significantly stand out, since she can't use her surfboard in RoG (and thus DST).

Some things you could do with the surfboard instead:

• Create a surfboard lean-to, regenerating health at the cost of hunger (Similar to Siesta Lean-to in RoG, without time skip)
  • Create a structure that acts as shelter from weather effects (Similar to Palm Leaf Hut in SW, but without 100% protection) 
  • Leaving the surfboard in the ground could cast a shadow that protects from heat
  • If equipped in the hand slot, it could decrease rain absorption or heat absorption while moving
  • Could be laid sideways to act like a wall
  • Whack things to stun them from a slightly further distance, maybe even having a cone effect on the swing

Other possible perks:

• Can sleep anywhere as long as she has her surfboard (works with her laid-back personality)

Some possible disadvantages:

• Longer build times (because lazy)
  • Slower movement for some period after sleeping

Since Walani is a starting character in Shipwrecked, she's fairly basic, so to make her stand out more in DST is a little tougher, but not impossible.

As far as using a character to advertise shipwrecked, Wilbur or Woodlegs would probably be the best, as they're both fun characters to look at. Woodlegs may be less encouraging, as he's an endgame character in Shipwrecked, and it'd be better to use a more easily obtainable character to encourage the purchase (then use Woodlegs during the game to encourage further play).

Also, if using the characters to advertise Shipwrecked, the characters' personalities should remain intact; voices, and appearances (with the exception of skins) shouldn't change. Basically, try to keep them the same as much as possible, and only make changes where necessary (such as removing nautical perks, or changing them to fit in a non-nautical setting). The setting of DST matters less with these characters, because, if advertised properly, it is known that these characters come from a different setting.

If not using the characters for advertising purposes, the characters' personalities and voices still shouldn't matter so much. Part of the fun is the weird variety of characters. Besides, they are still a part of the world, and are recognized by Klei, even if not developed by them.

TL;DR

• Warly or Wilbur would be the easiest to implement, with little changes
  • Wilbur or Woodlegs would be best for advertising purposes
  • Woodlegs & Walani would need to be reworked
  • I made perk suggestions for Woodlegs & Walani
  • Character personalities should remain intact if used for advertising
  • DST setting matters less if SW characters used to advertise SW

IMAO, Woodlegs is the worst SW character for DST because all his skills are useless in the normal world (special boat, lucky hat...). Warly and Wilbur are the best ones. Anyway, with a lil bit of customisation, they all can be added in DST. Or at least, just like that even if they're useless, just for fun.

On 12/16/2017 at 3:42 PM, watermelen671 said:

Would releasing one SW character be good? DEAR GOD NO!

If Klei were to release JUST ONE character, it'd open up the floodgates and cause the mewling little trolls who've been begging for SW to be ported over to DST to reignite their cause with renewed vigor, along with recruiting more people into their ranks. 

Especially considering the fact that they've been extremely tight lipped about any possibility of doing such a thing for such a long time, only to suddenly back peddle on that and release a SW character? It wouldn't promote players to go back to DS to play SW, it'd cause most people to abandon SW and hop onto DST, because there's now the possibility that SW might be fully ported over.

Mewling little trolls? Good golly that is one hell of a chip on your shoulder. I don't think there's an insidious plot by a SW-loving cabal to bolster their "ranks" to sew the seeds of chaos by... wanting a thing apparently you don't.

14 hours ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Mewling little trolls? Good golly that is one hell of a chip on your shoulder. I don't think there's an insidious plot by a SW-loving cabal to bolster their "ranks" to sew the seeds of chaos by... wanting a thing apparently you don't.

Nope, not a chip on my shoulders per se, just using hyperbolic words to emphasize a point. The forumers are just kinda sick of people asking for SW to be ported over to DST. Klei's already made their stance clear on the matter, and all it does is clutter up the forums with duplicate topics that are distracting people from, I wouldn't say more important, but more open and constructive conversations.

I'd love to have Shipwrecked ported over to DST, but until there comes a point where Klei OFFICIALLY announces that they're doing so, I'm content with what I have.

Archived