So what was the point of Winona again?

Back when Winona was first added, people were theorising that she was going to play a big part in Forge, but now that Forge is out, we know that she doesn't...like at all.

So...What's the point of her again? What was the point of adding this character that offers nothing new to the game? She has no interesting perks or downsides. As a DST exclusive character, you would think she was synergistic with other characters, but she isn't. Lore wise, she's a little bit interesting I guess, but really, apart from being Charlie's sister, that's all she's got going for her. 

Some people argued that she is a character designed for new players, but Wilson is better in that regard. His beard is a lifesaver for players that are unprepared for Winter and he has no downsides. He is the vanilla 'boy' character. Winona's crafting speed doesn't really help newbies. The one hit from Charlie and the duck tape I guess are somewhat useful, but again, beard for Winter is so much better. 

Is she going to get an update? I doubt it. So what was the point?! Seriously, I just want to know.

Yeah, she had some interesting traits, but I honestly think these traits may very well be added in some other way. And I mean, her design is... emm... Jimmy Neutron but as a feminist? I don't...

I do think characters need to have a good purpose and have fun traits, but not at the expense of good concept and their depth. Gradually, it seems like character concept ideas started to become weaker with the franchise's development.

Talking about the base game here, wouldn't know about Forge since I didn't play that.

6 minutes ago, TemporaryMan said:

She makes a faster, sturdier healer than Wilson, and separates healing and resurrection duties so you're less likely to lose both at the same time.

Most player play Wilson as a Reviver. There are more useful characters for Healer role :) - from my experience.

4 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Yeah, she had some interesting traits, but I honestly think these traits may very well be added in some other way. And I mean, her design is... emm... Jimmy Neutron but as a feminist? I don't...

Yeah, although I liked her look in that picture they Tweeted when she was first announced, when I saw the actual player model I went "holy crap, that's ugly".

Gradually, it seems like character concept ideas started to become weaker with the franchise's development.

Speak for yourself. Webber and Wigfrid are two of my favourite characters. 

4 hours ago, TemporaryMan said:

She makes a faster, sturdier healer than Wilson, and separates healing and resurrection duties so you're less likely to lose both at the same time.

True, but she's not essential. I've won Forge, without having her on the team. 

I do think characters need to have a good purpose and have fun traits, but not at the expense of good concept and their depth. Gradually, it seems like character concept ideas started to become weaker with the franchise's development.

This one! Her facial features look completely different. 

image.png.bb9e5c93e229da3faf00773bf7e17b21.png

4 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Speak for yourself. Webber and Wigfrid are two of my favourite characters. 

Perhaps. Just in comparison to the vanilla characters, they are lackluster imo. I mean, Webber was implemented simply because people wanted it, not because it had any bearing to the DLC, but whatever.

3 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

True, but she's not essential. I've won Forge, without having her on the team. 

Actually, none is essential, more or less:

Just now, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Perhaps. Just in comparison to the vanilla characters, they are lackluster imo. I mean, Webber was implemented simply because people wanted it, not because it had any bearing to the DLC, but whatever.

I don't know, but at least Webber and Wigfrid have really distinct personalities...Winona really doesn't, she's just sort of bland.

2 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I don't know, but at least Webber and Wigfrid have really distinct personalities...Winona really doesn't, she's just sort of bland.

Wo wot. She's hilarious. Her lines are some of the best imo.

Humor is subjective. What might be funny for someone else may not be funny for you.

I think the character needed an introduction video. It felt really weird that she popped out of nowhere and we were just supposed to go, "Yep, she's a natural addition to the cast. She was here the whole time. It was foretold."

Reminds me of this character:download.png.3b0b167ffc7bda41673b3c276a998dde.png

5 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Example?

Just a few favourites of mine:

MANDRAKE_ACTIVE = "This is exactly what having a little sister's like.",
ACTIONFAIL = CHANGEIN = INUSE = "Should I put together another one?",

RED_CAP = "Let Max try it first.",
RESURRECTIONSTONE = "Does anyone actually stay dead around here?",
SKELETON = "A workplace safety reminder.",
SPAT = "Looks like the old foreman. Ha!",

... and some more if you're interested:

Spoiler

CHESSPIECE_MUSE = 
{
    GENERIC = "I've got a bad feeling about this one.",
    --STRUGGLE = "...H-hello?",
}
STINGER = "I don't see the point. Oh wait, there it is.",
TRINKET_34 = "I wish for more wishes.", --Monkey Paw
ACTIONFAIL = GIVE = ABIGAILHEART = "No one should ever lose a sister.",
ANNOUNCE_HUNGRY = "When's lunch?",
WAXWELL = GHOST = "I could just leave you like this, hey?",
WX78 = GENERIC = "C'mon, %s! Justa tiny peek under the hood!",
WOODIE = BEAVERGHOST = "You're just a walkin' disaster, ain'tcha, %s?",
WEBBERSKULL = "I swear the kid'd lose his head if it weren't... wait.",
DEAD = "I think it was my turn to feed her.",
SKELETON = "Let's uh... just sweep that under the rug.",
BUTTERFLYMUFFIN = "Never liked having butterflies in my stomach.",
SHADOWDIGGER = "Too lazy to do your own chores, Max?",
ANCIENT_STATUE = "I'd never wanna meet one in person.",

Yep, I like her quotes so much that I have a separate file where I collect the best ones... 

1 hour ago, TheKingDedede said:

I think the character needed an introduction video.

So far the only video on Winona is the "What Lies Beyond" vid but we'll eventually get something on her. Klei is a small company after all.

cryptid.PNG.38fb8c36af2d2296afd5c7305d336eff.thumb.PNG.49e628a184ec14621d5c19e8d8812929.PNG

1 hour ago, fimmatek said:

Yep, I like her quotes so much that I have a separate file where I collect the best ones... 

She also has a adorable bad sense of direction. So far for "intuition".:wilson_sneaky:

Winona, like every other character, was created to provide a unique player experience. In the Forge it seems like she can do nearly anything well. (I would love to try Winona tank but everyone expects me to play healer when I am Winona.)

I don't care for Winona that much. I mostly play her when I want a Wilson esque experience as I don't care for Wilson's beard. Her dialogue is great and her skins are really well done. The crafting bonus is nice for mass crafting (Great for crafting an emergency weapon/armor in an emergency.) and the Trusty tape....eh it exists. More hounds teeth for darts which is quite nice. (I think it costs too much grass as silk is incredibly plentiful.) The free hit from the dark is.........underwhelming but it could probably be used for something creative.

I think she is fine as is. (Although armor/tool repairing with tape would have been nice and strong.) Her perks aren't great but she really doesn't have a downside either. (Aside from not having a notable strength perhaps.) I don't think she needs changes and any changes would be a complete redesign of her.

In the Forge she is by far my favorite character. Winona can do any strategy fairly well. She is a sturdy healer (+50 to +75 hp from most healers) and does so a bit better (10% shorter cooldown.). If she goes full healer a tank can use her extra hammer to stun enemies or break their guard. (Wilson and Wicker do not offer the team this utility. The extra hammer is great for WX78.) If for some reason no Wicker/Maxwell/Willow exists she can use the Inferno Staff. (Although I think those 3 characters can use the staff better than Winona.) She can also use cooldown gear for a total 30% quicker cooldown using sleep fields to great effect.

6 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Back when Winona was first added, people were theorising that she was going to play a big part in Forge, but now that Forge is out, we know that she doesn't...like at all.

So...What's the point of her again? What was the point of adding this character that offers nothing new to the game? She has no interesting perks or downsides. As a DST exclusive character, you would think she was synergistic with other characters, but she isn't. Lore wise, she's a little bit interesting I guess, but really, apart from being Charlie's sister, that's all she's got going for her. 

Some people argued that she is a character designed for new players, but Wilson is better in that regard. His beard is a lifesaver for players that are unprepared for Winter and he has no downsides. He is the vanilla 'boy' character. Winona's crafting speed doesn't really help newbies. The one hit from Charlie and the duck tape I guess are somewhat useful, but again, beard for Winter is so much better. 

Is she going to get an update? I doubt it. So what was the point?! Seriously, I just want to know.

She was a newbie oriented character that coincided with the console release.  I wouldn’t be surprised if she more than paid for the time it took to do her art and code in additional sales.

She’s also a much, much better newbie oriented character than Wilson because newbies don’t survive long enough to even grow his beard, and if you do the math (I wrote like 1000 words analyzing his beard’s actual usefulness) it’s not that impressive a perk to begin with.

If it makes you feel better Winona is the no downside ‘girl’ character while also being a lot more useful to veteran players helping a new player learn the game.  (By making them refine stacks of resources and stocking up on tape).

Her lore isn’t much, but a lot of the characters have minimal lore.

11 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Because that's boring. I personally think Winona would have been more interesting if she had stronger perks and an actual downside.

I find it boring too (let me brag a little: I main Wes ...hmmmmm yes, it feels good) but thats you and me, someone else has to like it.

Also, maybe I'm judging too quick since I haven't give the girl a chance, wont hurt to try her someday.

Archived