Rhymes with Play 159 - Oxygen Not Included: Oil Upgrade

This week on the Rhymes with Play Dev Cast, join the team as we play, discuss, and answer questions about the upcoming Oil Upgrade for Oxygen Not Included! The stream will be going live this Thursday, October 5th at 3:30 PM Pacific / 10:30 PM UTC.

Oxygen Not Included - Oil Upgrade Available Now: https://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/82690-oxygen-not-included-oil-upgrade-available-now/

When is it?
Twitch Stream Date: October 5th, 2017 
https://go.twitch.tv/kleientertainment

10:30 PM UTC (Coordinated Universal Time)
6:30 PM ET (East)
5:30 PM CT (Central)
4:30 PM MT (Mountain)

Here's a handy tool to figure out what time that means for you.

• Developer
1 hour ago, Byste said:

Just to clarify, is this episode about the update after the update goes live?

Very likely. It was like this the last time, right?

1 hour ago, mewthemew said:

OOH! Will we be getting another animation for the upgrade? It's fine if we don't. 

I'd love that too, but would they have the time for that?

If I leave the preview branch (with the exception of my saved game which I plan on nuking anyway since I seem to have run into an issue with slime lung) will there be any update difference between the preview and main? And if not can I just stay in the preview branch indefinitely?

It's a bit odd that the oil refinery is producing a black liquid (both on this wallpaper and in the game) since the only liquid it actually outputs is petroleum. I consider it to be very likely that naphtha was originally meant to be a product of oil refinement (I doubt they would add it just to give plastic something unique to melt into), so maybe they included it in the animation but won't implement it as something produced by the oil refinery until they've added ways to use it.

3 hours ago, Michi01 said:

It's a bit odd that the oil refinery is producing a black liquid (both on this wallpaper and in the game) since the only liquid it actually outputs is petroleum. I consider it to be very likely that naphtha was originally meant to be a product of oil refinement (I doubt they would add it just to give plastic something unique to melt into), so maybe they included it in the animation but won't implement it as something produced by the oil refinery until they've added ways to use it.

The crude oil goes into that cup, and THEN the dupes make it into petroleum. 

I'll make a gif of it later when I get the chance. :3

Spoiler

Also, @ImDaMisterL...you changed your title to say "what...?!?!"

Missed opportunity man, you should've changed it to Wut.

We hope you enjoyed the latest Rhymes with Play Dev Cast. In case you missed the Oil Upgrade live stream, the VOD is available for replay now on Twitch:

Watch live video from KleiEntertainment on www.twitch.tv

And if you would like to take up the Oil Upgrade challenge that @jambell tried on the show, you can grab the save file "Oil Upgrade.sav" attached to this post. Post your results on this thread!

Be sure to check out the Rhymes With Play Dev Cast on Twitch every Thursday at 3:30 PM (Pacific)! 

Also, a special thanks to @mf99k, @DuplicantWebber, @Docile_Dragon, and @hjolltt (from our community forum) as well as Ataraxii, Vigesimo, The-Dangerz0ne, Drakenshaven, and @omegapcgamer for sharing their Oxygen Not Included fan art with us.

Oil Upgrade.sav

Archived