Rhymes with Play 159 - Oxygen Not Included: Oil Upgrade

EDIT: Well this is embarrassing, I made a mistake at the very beginning and used 127 t instead of 12.7 t (which is the amount that's actually required), all my calculations are wrong. You need to divide everything by 10 to get the proper values. If I'm not mistaken that means a single refinery and six presses actually only need 23 minutes, which is feasible.

I'm going to try to get as far as possible in an hour, for anyone else who wants to try it, here's some numbers:
You need 127 t of plastic and to produce that, a single polymer press would require 254 000 in game seconds. One hour has 3600 seconds so you won't get very far with one press. Playing on fast speed means three in game seconds pass per real second though, which gives us the slightly more optimistic value of 84 666 seconds.
If you're simultaneously running six presses, which is the maximum supported by one refinery, you need 14 111 s. The minimum required to have any chance is 24 presses which will need roughly 3527 seconds or 58 minutes. Two minutes might not enough to construct the 24 presses, 4 refineries and 4 pumps though. Don't forget that you also need to dig into the slime biome for gold amalgam because any other type of pump will overheat.
Assuming that you are able to set up all the required machinery fast enough, you'll need roughly 423.2 t of crude oil. I didn't count it, but I'm having my doubts that there's enough natural oil nearby to do that, so you'll probably have to tap one or more oil reservoirs.
Now if you do actually have enough oil and manage to build all the machines within two minutes, you're all set and all you need now is a power plant capable of outputting 8.64 kW. You also need to deal with 4.14 kW of heat production (power plant not included).
Two minutes is a bit short, but you can take your time if you need to, keep in mind that the amount of machines and power required will scale up accordingly though.
Lastly, since @jambell constructed a grand total of zero plastic tiles, you need to be at least   times better than him (maybe more, my calculator won't let me check unfortunately), which I admit will be hard, as he is the world's best ONI player.
TL;DR If you want to actually construct the whole thing, try to set a record on doing it in the least cycles.

Here's my first attempt, I failed and continued for 17 minutes after the hour was over to see how far I'd get but then everyone starved (I didn't really plan what to do beforehand other than looking at the input and output rates of machines):

(I actually started shortly after sending the previous message but I couldn't upload it right away and my internet is a bit slow)

While I still didn't succeed, it worked a lot better on my second attempt. However I've noticed a problem, even if you're fast enough, you'll probably run out of coal before you're done. I suppose the only way to get it done is avoiding any waste of coal and using the natural gas from the oil refinery and maybe even using a petroleum generator. If I try it a third time, I'll double the machines and set up natural gas generators. It's certainly gonna be a lot harder to get it done in an hour that way though.

Yeah I'm not sure the oil challenge is possible. I've tried twice now with two separate strategies. My first attempt involved going straight for the oil and everyone got scalded and everyone eventually ran out of food and oxygen. My second attempt involved making a path for new duplicants first, and it would have succeeded if the duplicants had actually used the oil refinery (which they never used) and the oil reserve I made overflowed and polluted the water supply and everyone was stressed out so everyone was vomiting everywhere

which further contaminated the water supply.

I'm gonna see if I can build the words on one of my own bases and see if I have any more luck. Technically cheating but if the dupes in my utopia colony can't do it then I don't think any colony can

I have one last idea for an approach that might work, but I'm having my doubts that I'll be able to pull it off within an hour. Also it seems like Youtube never finished processing my second video. If I try it a third time I probably won't bother to reupload the second one because of my slow internet.

My haphazard attempt that took me almost 30 cycles. Assuming it was all played out on game speed 3 (it was not, since I needed to pause to plan and get my bearings), that would be 1 hour and 40 minutes.

46847cdbfe.jpg

cd0953c4fd.jpg

I dug up into the slime biome as soon as I could to get the gold amalgam needed for a pump that could withstand the oil temperature. Although there is an oil well in the picture, I didn't actually need it once I realized that the oil pocket I dug into was massively over-pressurized and spilled all over the place. There's more than enough there to complete the whole challenge without building an oil well. I dealt with the overheating polymer presses by dripping 500 g/s of water over them.

I also had to cheat in some extra liceloaf because there wasn't enough food in storage and there was no dirt anywhere nearby to make mush bars.

Dupes did die to make this monument :)

I did actually not time how long it take to make it. But it was 19 cycles on highest speed. But I think it is close to 1 hour.

Yeah one of the problems is food. You will starve to death before you get the mushroom growing. 

Only way I actually mange to get so far because 3 dupes got the well fed bugg. I did get one more dupe in just to get a new friend buff. Still alive so 3 dupes die of starvation. 

Monument

More

On 6.10.2017 at 11:39 PM, Michi01 said:

While I still didn't succeed, it worked a lot better on my second attempt. However I've noticed a problem, even if you're fast enough, you'll probably run out of coal before you're done. I suppose the only way to get it done is avoiding any waste of coal and using the natural gas from the oil refinery and maybe even using a petroleum generator. If I try it a third time, I'll double the machines and set up natural gas generators. It's certainly gonna be a lot harder to get it done in an hour that way though.

So as I've noticed, the video never finished processing. Here's a reupload:

I think I might try actually finishing it on the weekend. Maybe even in an hour, but I'm doubting that it's possible.
Also if I'm not mistaken, this is still the best attempt that doesn't involve cheating or using bugs.

Archived