Announcing Don't Starve: Hamlet, The Forge and other exciting news!

We announce everything literally as soon as we know for sure we're going to do it. We do that so people who want that type of content know that we're working on it. As noted while we do try to put out estimates, those estimates are just that. If we aren't providing information about something, it's because we don't have information to provide. 

We're currently evaluating our progress on Hamlet and looking at everything else we have going on and we'll update everybody when we have more information to announce. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

35 minutes ago, Ali Bun said:

I just wish we get a date. That way I can plan to play when it comes out. Same goes for whenever big event two happens..

I think the reason Klei doesn't set dates is because it's even worse when you have one and don't meet its deadline. The hype the commuity has been generating completely flops and hurts the game's future launch.

15 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I just wish they hadn't announced Hamlet so soon. On the day of the announcement it could have been just the update on Shiprekt and The Forge.

This ^

Klei needs to learn not to announce something if they're not sure they're going to be able to deliver it on time. They did it right with Oxygen Not Included, but I can't say the same for their other games.

2 minutes ago, JoeW said:

We announce everything literally as soon as we know for sure we're going to do it. We do that so people who want that type of content know that we're working on it. As noted while we do try to put out estimates, those estimates are just that. If we aren't providing information about something, it's because we don't have information to provide. 

Wouldn't it be better to do it when you have a more certain estimate as well? Because then the people who want the content just end up getting more and more impatient when they have no news about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tokyo said:

Klei needs to learn not to announce something if they're not sure they're going to be able to deliver it on time. They did it right with Oxygen Not Included, but I can't say the same for their other games.

Probably best to announce something if it's like 1 or 2 months before they know for sure it to be released may be? Then the "coming soon" isn't really a let-down of any sort.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Tokyo said:

Wouldn't it be better to do it when you have a more certain estimate as well? Because then the people who want the content just end up getting more and more impatient when they have no news about it.

Depends on how you look at it - For example, if we hadn't announced Hamlet, people would be upset that no single player content was coming. If we waited until we were so certain that the date couldn't change, you're talking like a month before release - and even then, things happen. We have considered this and we still do, but we believe most people would like to know sooner than later, given that everything we ever do ever has everybody asking if or when we will be releasing one thing or the next. 

We are much much more solid about dates once something is in the hands of the players because we see it as our responsibility to provide what is expected at that point. But up until that time it's much more important to us that we are confident in the product and that it is of the quality that people have come to expect from us. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6

20 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Depends on how you look at it - For example, if we hadn't announced Hamlet, people would be upset that no single player content was coming. If we waited until we were so certain that the date couldn't change, you're talking like a month before release. We have considered this and we still do, but we believe most people would like to know sooner than later, given that everything we ever do ever has everybody asking if or when we will be releasing one thing or the next. 

We are much much more solid about dates once something is in the hands of the players because we see it as our responsibility to provide what is expected at that point. But up until that time it's much more important to us that we are confident in the product and that it is of the quality that people have come to expect from us. 

Never thought of it that way, thanks for replying!

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

Depends on how you look at it - For example, if we hadn't announced Hamlet, people would be upset that no single player content was coming.

I feel that the images and trailer leave images in my head so I can imagine scenarios until the finished product comes out.

5 hours ago, JoeW said:

We announce everything literally as soon as we know for sure we're going to do it. We do that so people who want that type of content know that we're working on it. As noted while we do try to put out estimates, those estimates are just that. If we aren't providing information about something, it's because we don't have information to provide. 

We're currently evaluating our progress on Hamlet and looking at everything else we have going on and we'll update everybody when we have more information to announce. 

The only information you put out though is the announcement of when you start working on content and the announcement the day before you release it. There's no middle ground, no updates on your progress or sharing of what you're working on. So people have zero idea about what's going on or what they can expect during the months of time between content updates. And then all this happens. It has nothing to do with giving estimations and dates on the release, it's the complete silence and secrecy through the entire development process that is the problem.

Most developers at least release updates showcasing what mechanics or new areas will be featured in their new content, or the general idea of what they plan to be working on soon. It's how you promote yourself and keep people involved.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Q1/Q2 was a pretty big indicator to me the thing was pretty well off. That's a big range estimate so I just kept it in the back of my head. Glad the announcement was put out regardless. Shows more stuff's coming when we wouldn't have a clue otherwise! Always glad to see new content is being worked on.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

People just need to learn the meaning of patience.

Maxwell could be our exemplar.

Spoiler

INUSE = "I'm quite adept at waiting. I've had a lot of practice.",
INUSE = "Worry not, pal. I've the patience of a saint.",
INUSE = "I can wait... it's the courteous thing to do.",

Edited by fimmatek
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Developer
6 hours ago, Korlie said:

The only information you put out though is the announcement of when you start working on content and the announcement the day before you release it. There's no middle ground, no updates on your progress or sharing of what you're working on. So people have zero idea about what's going on or what they can expect during the months of time between content updates. And then all this happens. It has nothing to do with giving estimations and dates on the release, it's the complete silence and secrecy through the entire development process that is the problem.

Most developers at least release updates showcasing what mechanics or new areas will be featured in their new content, or the general idea of what they plan to be working on soon. It's how you promote yourself and keep people involved.

They could do something like SethR's Fireside Chats that gave us insight on DST development. Man, I loved those...

• Thanks 4

13 hours ago, JoeW said:

What exactly happened to the March Hamlet release? A week ago I saw in my Steam wishlist Hamlet would be released March 2018. On April 1'st the release date was changed to Q1/Q2 2018. I haven't been following the DLC recently but was there an announcement for the delay?

2 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

They could do something like SethR's Fireside Chats that gave us insight on DST development. Man, I loved those...

They stream all the time yet the only stuff they stream has absolutely nothing to do with the actual work they are doing at the moment on the game. So many missed opportunities to promote future content and build up hype.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dreamscape18459 said:

What exactly happened to the March Hamlet release? A week ago I saw in my Steam wishlist Hamlet would be released March 2018. On April 1'st the release date was changed to Q1/Q2 2018. I haven't been following the DLC recently but was there an announcement for the delay?

Opera Instantâneo_2018-04-03_121741_forums.kleientertainment.com.png

9 minutes ago, Korlie said:

They stream all the time yet the only stuff they stream has absolutely nothing to do with the actual work they are doing at the moment on the game. So many missed opportunities to promote future content and build up hype.

Yacht Club Games does that. Lives showing the development of the game, but without showing much, just to give the taste of what is to come.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

Opera Instantâneo_2018-04-03_121741_forums.kleientertainment.com.png

Yacht Club Games does that. Lives showing the development of the game, but without showing much, just to give the taste of what is to come.

Yeah I saw this post in February and it was corrected to Q1/Q2 2018. Last week however the date changed to March 2018 again so I assumed Klei updated it to reflect the release.

Its unfortunate that it seems to be a Steam issue that Valve has yet to fix. I was really looking forward to playing Hamlet last week.

Edit:This definitely appears to be an issue on Valve/Steam's end. Last week when I saw the March 2018 release date Hamlet did not appear at all in the DLC section of the Wishlist (only being visible if viewing "All Types" of content). Now that the date has changed (again...) to Q1/Q2 2018 Hamlet properly appears in the DLC section. Hopefully Valve addresses this issue eventually (preferably notifying users that the system was broken and how it was broken to help avoid more confusion).

It would be nice if the new Steam wishlist system actually worked. Its absolutely worthless now for following upcoming content on Steam.

Edited by Dreamscape18459
More information

Sorry for the double post but Hamlet still says it was released March 2018 on the DLC section for Don't Starve. (Probably incorrectly using the internal date Klei has instead of the public Q1/Q2 it should be using.)

http://store.steampowered.com/dlc/219740/

If this is an issue that Klei developers could fix soon that would be nice. If its a Valve issue than hopefully it gets fixed soon.

17 minutes ago, Dreamscape18459 said:

Sorry for the double post but Hamlet still says it was released March 2018 on the DLC section for Don't Starve. (Probably incorrectly using the internal date Klei has instead of the public Q1/Q2 it should be using.)

http://store.steampowered.com/dlc/219740/

If this is an issue that Klei developers could fix soon that would be nice. If its a Valve issue than hopefully it gets fixed soon.

I guess it's a bug at Valve's side, because if you click on Hamlet, the release date is Q1/Q2 again. Quite annoying I must agree, it wakes false hopes, and it would be nice to know when we get to play it...

(But let's be patient. We've waited long already, a few more month won't hurt.)

On 03/04/2018 at 1:03 AM, JoeW said:

Depends on how you look at it - For example, if we hadn't announced Hamlet, people would be upset that no single player content was coming. If we waited until we were so certain that the date couldn't change, you're talking like a month before release - and even then, things happen. We have considered this and we still do, but we believe most people would like to know sooner than later, given that everything we ever do ever has everybody asking if or when we will be releasing one thing or the next. 

I think that if single player had tweaks and bug fixes being done for it like it is for DST, it wouldn't be considered dead even if you announced a new DLC a day before it is done. It's when seemingly no attention is being given to something when it can look abandoned. I can see how you guys have a lot to tackle, though DST and a lot of other stuff seems to get much more attention than single player DS, generally speaking. And single player has a lot of bugs already from SW alone. Adding another DLC will just stir the pot even more. At this point everyone's gotten used to the idea that DS and DST are split, but may be if they weren't, then focus would be put onto one game. It's probably the best solution to the case, but at this point, would that be something that you could or would want to do and if so how...

• Like 3

On 03/04/2018 at 8:33 AM, Korlie said:

You can do that, but you can't start too soon. You have to keep some freedom for testing and change (so people don't be too hyped for feature and concept that will be abandoned because they don't work well).

Also, you have to be prepared to manage feedback : this can't happen too soon (because usually at this point there is a lot to work on), this can't happen every time (if you don't plan to do an open beta/early access, it's maybe not possible to include people feedback), so it's also something that will play a role about how to manage announcments.

So being careful is usually important, in this kind of things. And could also give people a fresh discovery, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

• Like 4

Eh all of this wouldn't be so bad if it seemed Klei made a more progressive approach to hear and change content on the feedback on the players. Mostly on the balance side of things. The only time Kiel has seemed to "listen" to the players in when it was adding kind of small things or something was blatantly broken and they "listened" by fixing it. (results may very) the other things were the Garland and spider-monkey and everyone hates those. And nothing usually happen unless the players stomp their feet and yell or whine, and it just makes it annoying for those that browse the forums and being annoying for everyone. Its nice that thanks to @Mr.Mulk (even if he was just there at the right place and time) I rather they overclock the difficulty just for a nice change of pace. But at the same time the only thing that Klei has done for difficulty is add health to make things more tedious and take longer. so the difficulty just seems forced or not warranted. I know it sounds that and most likely is that i'm giving the devs the short end of the stick. Because you know its fun to mock their changes and design philosophy. This is what I feel or noticed and I feel something should be done.

• Like 1