Announcing Don't Starve: Hamlet, The Forge and other exciting news!

3 hours ago, Korlie said:

- a delayed game can still be bad and usually is since if it's delayed it means they're having problems, which makes it more likely to come out bad then an average game with smooth development. (I have seen this happen, multiple times)

Or it could mean they overestimated when it would be finished.

Personally, I prefer a more loose release date for games. That way the developers can release it whenever they feel like it's ready.

• Like 2

So. What would you guys like to see in Hamlet? 

I hope for new seasons or changes to the old ones cuz season are unescapable mechanic so dlc should bring something big. Also new music, ds music is great. 

Other things are kinda obvious:

New creatures/bosses. New plants and new species of treeguards. New characters. 

Something that I would like to see would be river mechanic since Hamlet is set in the "forgotten jungle" but I can only hope.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Or it could mean they overestimated when it would be finished.

Personally, I prefer a more loose release date for games. That way the developers can release it whenever they feel like it's ready.

It can mean a lot of things, because there are numerous variables at play which lead to different outcomes each time. There's no consistent result, like with many things that complicated. Sometimes it's good sometimes it's bad sometimes it's average.

A lot of developers can't give vague release dates though if they have to answer to a publisher or console, also it's harder to build a market and advertising around Soon TM as opposed to a solid date.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Szczuku said:

I hope for new seasons or changes to the old ones cuz season are unescapable mechanic so dlc should bring something big. Also new music, ds music is great. 

I want new characters and features for the Merms ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

Something that I would like to see would be river mechanic since Hamlet is set in the "forgotten jungle" but I can only hope.

I've never thought about it, but now I want it too.

• Like 1

How much do you love wind and flooding in Shipwrecked? Because those would be the logical add-ons. There is actually a limited number of seasons and weather effects. Maybe a tornado, although there is already sealnado. 

I just want new biomes, plants and creatures, new resources, but I am curious about the civilization of the pigs, and particular what their issue is with the merms. There’s some history there. Merms remain mysterious. Why are their houses run-down in ROG, but really quite nice in Shipwrecked? Why do fishermerms fish when merms are vegetarian? 

15 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

How much do you love wind and flooding in Shipwrecked? Because those would be the logical add-ons. There is actually a limited number of seasons and weather effects. Maybe a tornado, although there is already sealnado.  

What I think river would be like:

1 river per world. It goes from 1 end of the map to the other (not necessary the farrest ones. Something like north-south or east-west) and it would have 3 stages:

early river where you and creatures (so you can't escape from danger) can walk through it without movement speed penalty but you would get +20 wettnes instantly.

mid river where you will be slowed while walking through it (creatures also) and will get +50 wttnes instantly. Also there is a chance a fish might bite you for 10 dmg

late river where you cannot cross without bridge.

You'd be able to built Bridges on every part of river to awoid wettnes but you can only have 4 bridges close(on the same screen). If you build a 5th bridge a tentacle will appear from river and destroy it. giving you back some materials

There would also be a surfboard that you can craf and use to move with river's flow. If you reach the end of the map you'd jump off automatically.

No need for flooding or wind. Well maybe durring winter (if there's going to be winter) it could be frozen or something.

That's just my idea

Edit; sorry just realized you didn't meant river but new seasons xd my bad

Edited by Szczuku
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Altari said:

well i saw 'hamlet will be released in March' is wrong but

steam show this111.thumb.png.e6d24a92aa3aa29ac466e24f72132dc2.png 

is this not fixed yet? or right information?

On 2/16/2018 at 5:21 PM, JoeW said:

Ok - So I poked around and I think I figured out what happened. 

So in steam, we have 2 places to put a date, a public date and an estimated non-public date. We have March 20 as the internal private date. That was an estimation set a long long time ago when the project was first started. (I wasn't even aware of this date as it's basically a placeholder).

It looks like Valve accidentally used this date when they rolled out the new wishlists and then quickly corrected it after that. 

Sorry for all the confusion there. 

17 hours ago, Szczuku said:

The two hunchbeasts from the concept art: Bacoons and Bboons.

5aa356ddeea4f_Skeledorkmolestsbacoon.thumb.png.8ad59cccdc8a9e9ab02747734037f936.png9537K2c.jpg

I'd like a sitting mechanic in chairs too.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Same! I'm also ready for more lore explanation like @Rellimarual. Is that pig that picked up the relic Wilson dropped a mayor of some sort? How'd Wilson even find this place? What are some new craftables? Is this like Animal Crossing where you get to build your own house of some sort and it be your base?

Though, let's be honest, can Wilson steal those baked goods in the shop? Is there a jail mechanic/police pigs??

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, minespatch said:

The two hunchbeasts from the concept art: Bacoons and Bboons.

5aa356ddeea4f_Skeledorkmolestsbacoon.thumb.png.8ad59cccdc8a9e9ab02747734037f936.png9537K2c.jpg

I'd like a sitting mechanic in chairs too.

Omg, klei, make it happen. 

Also, you have more concepts like that? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Judging by the screencaps, those conquistadors might be the authorities.

ss_3b71b475d4aa5cdc6650dfd79d76759e106d6

I haven't seen this one but you may be right! Time for Wilson to be a savage. It'd also be pretty funny if going to jail was one way to get into the Piggie Ruins/Caves. I'm also hoping for some kinda corrupt utopian society type deal.

Edited by Wesminator
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, MewUra said:

Also, you have more concepts like that? 

I just googled in images.google.com for Don't Starve concepts.

Just now, Wesminator said:

I haven't seen this one but you may be right! Time for Wilson to be a savage. It'd also be pretty funny if going to jail was one way to get into the Piggie Ruins/Caves.

If Wilson was arrested in our world, imagine the traumatic flashbacks he could have.:wilson_sneaky:

Edited by minespatch
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

It might be a long shot, but I'm hoping Hamlet is gonna be kinda like a dungeon crawler (with randomly generating jungle and ruins) with some light village management. I think something like that could be pretty fun thrown in with DS's survival aspects.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2018 at 3:53 AM, Szczuku said:

A new pig man character would be cool I would also like to see improvements to make characters like Willow and Wendy more useful give them some new perks and I'm hoping to new game mechanics as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maslak said:

And some piggies to marry!

Oh goodness! Can you even imagine taking your wife/hubby on an adventure??

One sunny afternoon, Wilson got the urge to take his new beloved on a date outside the city. They packed a few essentials then frolick into the woods, smiles painted on their faces. As they ventured, Wilson came to a large clearing, the perfect spot to set up. He looked over his shoulder to check with his beloved only to witness their horrifying demise to a level 3 spider den.

THE END

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 3/24/2018 at 1:53 AM, Szczuku said:

What I'm assuming in hamlet is that you can buy things, what I'm expecting is that shops will put up new stocks of items and making them only bought in their specific season, causing the player to possibly micro manage what they need

• Like 3

Spoiler

94672747.jpg

I really can't help it observing  in detail the fact that there are two currencies that can be used to purchase food. The standard gold coins and a clover like look white currency.

Edit: Along the character's position isn't even at the center which makes me speculate how the camera positioning works on Hamlet on this store.

Edited by Aeschwutz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1