Oxygen Not Included - Outbreak Upgrade Available Now!

• Developer

As our Duplicants drift further into the depths of space from within their rocky prison, it seems a new threat has presented itself to the colony: germs. Can the Duplicants survive this invisible terror? Will they avert complete biological disaster? Or succumb to the septic indignity of a tummy bug?

We'd like to welcome you to the latest update for Oxygen Not Included - Outbreak!

So What's New?

Farming

Continuing on the heels of the Agricultural Upgrade, Oxygen Not Included's farming system has continued to receive new content and development. In particular, the Harvest Point system has now been reworked into the "Requirement" system, to simplify the process of growing of crops.

Key Features

• New Plants and Recipes: The addition of new Dusk Caps means more delicious dishes to cook... like Fried Mushrooms!
  • New Requirements: Plants now have a wider range of conditions they require to grow, such as pressure and light. Some plants prefer to have a strong light source, while others enjoy soothing darkness. Plants will either grow if you've met all of their requirements (yay!) or won't if you haven't (aw!).
  • Harvest Rating Points Retired: Plants will no longer gain Harvest Rating points or have their yields altered by a rating.
  • New Overlay: Enter the Farming Overlay to see how your crops are progressing, and batch harvest them with ease when they reach maturation.

Disease

Oxygen Not Included has received an all new disease system, complete with new illnesses, attributes, overlays and more. These additions should make disease a challenging obstacle for Duplicants to overcome as they try to maintain the strength of their immune systems in a world teeming with disease.

Key Features

• Germs: They're everywhere!  New concentrations of disease in the world can be spread via touch, ingestion, breathing, sneezing, coughing, vomiting and more. Germs also react dynamically to their environment, multiplying in the conditions they like and dying off in the ones they don't.
  • New Overlay: Keep tabs on the contamination levels in your colony and see which Duplicants are secretly hosting hidden germs by entering the new Germ Overlay.
  • New Immunity Attribute: All Duplicants have received a new attribute, "Immunity", which determines the strength of their Immune System. Immune Systems are the first and last defense against germs, so the stronger, the better!
  • Medical Aid: Duplicants may now assist their sick peers by doctoring them while they lay in Med-Beds. Duplicants with high Medicine skill will find that aiding the sick comes more naturally to them, and aided Duplicants will recover faster from their various afflictions.
  • Improved Diseases: Food Poisoning has received a revamp, and Slimelung has been introduced to the game. You'd better put your Duplicants on bedrest if you don't want them coughing up clouds of airborne germs - that's just gross!
  • New Germ-Related Buildings: Contaminated resources can be sanitized in the new Ore Scrubber, while Wash Basins can be placed by your colony's bathrooms to encourage hand washing and good Duplicant hygiene. Germs can spread faster than you'd expect, and you'll be grateful for the preventative measures.

And More

• Asteroid Ruins: Explore deep enough into your surroundings and you may chance upon the remnants of, well... something. What are these strange structures, and how did they get here? Why are they filled with such unusual machinery, and what do they mean for the Duplicants of the asteroid? The answers to these questions are for you to decide.
  • New Background Music, Paintings, and Hairdos: Everyone knows that rocking the same hairstyle as your clone friend is just tacky. New hair colours make every clone type in the colony unique!
  • New Duplicant Blueprints: Say hello to Ari, Jean, Camille, and Ashkan.
  • New Creatures and Buildings:
    • New Shine Bugs: Shine Bugs are friends, ready to bring some light to your colony. Try to keep them away from your new Dusk Cap farms, though... mushrooms aren’t terrible fond of light.

• New Liquid Aquatuner: Don't let Thermo Regulators have all the fun. Cool down liquids with this new building, but be wary of the heat it outputs!

• New Liquid Bottlers and Emptiers: Take complete control over your colony’s water sources - no more Duplicants taking your precious liquids without permission!

• OSX Support: Oxygen Not Included is now available on Mac.
  • Tons of bug fixes, rebalances, QOL additions, performance improvements and more!

As always we'd like to extend a big thank-you to our closed testing players, whose feedback continues to be invaluable as we continue the development process and integrate new content into the game. We hope you'll enjoy your time with Outbreak!

Please remember to cover your mouth when you cough.

Frequently Asked Questions

Spoiler

What are the system requirements?
Specs are likely to change, but currently these are the requirements we have. It is highly recommended that you do not purchase if you aren't over this spec as we may have to raise the spec in the future. 

• OS: Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 8 64 bit or Windows 10 64 bit
  • Processor: I5 2.0 GHz Dual core(or AMD equivalent)
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Intel HD 4600 (AMD or NVIDIA equivalent)
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Storage: 1.5 GB available space

How often can we expect new updates while you're in EA?
Improvements and bug fixes are regularly coming out every few weeks. When we're getting ready to release a batch of new content, we'll let you know!

Is there OSX/Linux support for this game?
Yes!

What about other platforms(consoles/mobile)?
There are no plans to support any other platforms at this time.

I found a bug/have a suggestion. What should I do?
Come let us know about it on the forums!

Will there be multiplayer?
There are currently no plans to add multiplayer.

View full update

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

New Shine Bugs: Shine Bugs are friends, ready to bring some light to your colony. Try to keep them away from your Yogs, though... Yogs aren’t terribly fond of light.

Fixed

Edited by Michi01
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Marvelous! Awesome! Amazing! OwO This update's gonna be interesting ^w^ My colony is so gonna die ;u; The funny thing is that I had microbiology at school today XD

Absolutely LOVE the animated short!! : D So cute and funny, and it really made me smile! 0U0

Edited by NightWonder7
  • Like 2

Nice work Klei! But I have a few questions...

1. Will we see more adventures of the Legendary blue hair dupe?

2.Will there be a overall story line like don't starve, and if so will it have to do with the new ruins you added in ONI?

3.Will there be Any References in any of your games. Possibly from a game you gave financial support to. (Night in the woods *Wink Wink*)

4. Will there be more dupe customizations like hats?

5. Will there be a slight chance of it coming to Ps4 and or Xbox one?

Lastly I would kinda like a response from you guys because I love your work and your amazing Art style.

Also this is the first thing ive ever said on the forums!

• Like 3

image.png.caaa2b6bbcac119b498d322504ac25dc.png

Moral of the story.

Poor guy never stood a chance to the dangers of ignorance. :wilson_ecstatic:

5 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Say hello to Ari,

How'd did my 1/3 me get into the game?:wilson_shocked:

5 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Asteroid Ruins

a.k.a. lore.

I'd like to add to Justme's question: Will we get those awesome goggles or are they too OP?

Edited by minespatch
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, FloomRide said:

"Deodorizers and Carbon Skimmers use less Sand"

I assume by "Carbon Skimmers", he meant Air Scrubbers. Since when do they use sand at all?

"Carbon Skimmer" uses water as a "filter", not sand. Probably should've worded that one better.

• Like 1

The main character in the short needs to be a Dupe in the game with the googles on and have him freak out because he has the germophobe trait, which also makes him a clean freak forcing the Dupe to prioritize Disinfect job over everything else.

Edited by vonVile
  • Like 1

I appreciate all these changes, but this one may be the most significant.

• Duplicants now support job swapping for certain jobs. If a Dupe finishes their current job and they are closer to a Deconstruct/Dig/Construct/Harvest job than the currently assigned dupe, they will steal the job from that Dupe.

This solves the #1 problem of these colony management games, which is people getting pulled across the map to mine one little tile hours after the closer dupes have finished everything else.

Huge shoutout to whoever identified this problem and invented a fix.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately I have to say that I'm not the greatest fan of the changes. So many good ideas they've implemented, such as shine bugs, liquid cooler (yay!), random ruins and even the new farming behavior isn't bad at all. But then, a clever Klei developer had the brilliant idea (while sitting on the toilet, at least I assume this had to be the case) to implement something nobody actually needs, filthy nasty germs! Okay I admit at some point the game was a bit too easy regarding the really low impact of certain diseases and yup, to care about stuff like food poisoning or catching a cold is absolutely legit. But to have things like "slimelung" in a world where nearly 90% of the environment consists of slime (okay maybe less but that's not the point) paired with a really strange auto-disinfect-behavior made the whole micromanagement a bit overwhelming.

Dunno y but imho not as funny as it was intended xD

Just wanted to say Kudos on the Outbreak update, I for one enjoy the update. I found it an interesting new challenge to overcome.

On 8/30/2017 at 0:33 PM, Chris_Hoefler said:

But to have things like "slimelung" in a world where nearly 90% of the environment consists of slime (okay maybe less but that's not the point) paired with a really strange auto-disinfect-behavior made the whole micromanagement a bit overwhelming.

I agree the auto-disinfect seemed broken, so I turned it off, it was easier to manage manually.

Edited by MidrealmDM