Which is the best beefalo?

4 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Just wondering, cause I´m planning on taming one. It´s definitely a choice between Rider and Ornery.   

If you want a fighter go with ornery though you always have to feed it before you get on
you want transport you go with rider.
you want a friend you go with pudgy

8 hours ago, JellyUltra said:

q194ZX4.pngq194ZX4.pngq194ZX4.pngq194ZX4.pngVVwhWpT.pngVVwhWpT.pngVVwhWpT.pngtW9xeZy.png

The best Beefalo.

Drat! You beat me to it, delicious Paper Mario food!

Guess I'll go with Rider. Bases in DST from what I've seen usually aren't in the middle of the world. They're either in resource heavy or wide areas for mega-bases. Rider is excellent for getting to other parts of the world when in these oddly placed bases.

Ornery may die too quickly to stronger foes, and pudgy one is very meh. Honestly, sanity is easy to gain, and it's not going to run much. Besides, why wouldn't you want to go insane? Free nightmare fuel.

I really like the Ornery Beefalo.

Now that ice staves and fire staves are usable while riding Beefalo it's much easier to pause the fight and feed blue mushrooms to my Beefalo. Best part is that I don't have to worry about getting weapons, armor or sanity restoring foods. (for most fights it doesn't last long enough to matter) All I need are blue mushrooms maybe a light and an Ice Staff/Pan Flute. The only surface bosses I can't kill just using these are the nightmare pieces (Can't freeze or tranq them) and the Beequeen. (A bit too much to handle)

Of course this doesn't matter at all if your playing Wolfgang.. Get one of the other two if your Wolfgang.

I play as Wendy and her 0.75x damage is often exhausting me with big mobs ; Abi doesn't last very long. Because of that, I very much like the firepower of the Ornery beefalo. And I actually simply switch the saddle depending of what I am going to do next. 

Ornary can be a ***** tho. Sometime you need to gtfo very quickly and feeding him a twig before mounting is a real pain the ass. It can get you both killed. 

Best beefalo from an efficiency standpoint is rider and it makes sense to tame them only long enough to assemble the suspicious marble.

actually taming beefalo is questionably useful after that.

37 minutes ago, Toros said:

This is something we always hear and this is probably very true. Ironically though, this critic often comes from experienced players that spend their time creating various useless stuff (E.g volt goat farm.) It is the same way I'm not gonna play Wolfgang even though I know he's the best. 

Bottom line, you should spend your time in game on what you think is fun. 

58 minutes ago, csc_unit said:

This is something we always hear and this is probably very true. Ironically though, this critic often comes from experienced players that spend their time creating various useless stuff (E.g volt goat farm.) It is the same way I'm not gonna play Wolfgang even though I know he's the best. 

Something like a volt goat farm might be unnecessary, but at least it provides you with resources if you ever need them. Tamed beefs just eat all your food and time and they're generally inconvenient. It's pretty much just constant babysitting, and your reward for it is being able to move quicker. I'll just stick with wormholes, caves and roads for getting around. I don't find babysitting to be any fun.

2 hours ago, Toros said:

Best beefalo from an efficiency standpoint is rider and it makes sense to tame them only long enough to assemble the suspicious marble.

You know, that's a very good point... I'm probably doing the dumb thing by trying to avoid the taming altogether and simply carrying the heads myself, or not carrying it at all because I'm trying to avoid it like the plague of how badly it is balanced for open multiplayer.

If you're playing on a server all alone or have a server hosted with a few friends, then it's probably much more worth it. Since I don't do either of the two, well, no beefalo riding for me :(

2 hours ago, csc_unit said:

Sometimes experienced players pick elaborate and pointless tasks for a challenge or change or pace.  Other times they invest time in initially time consuming things that will pay off later either in resources or convenience.

From an efficiency standpoint you start taming a beef in autumn and use it to move all the marble before winter, then kill the partially tamed beefalo.

While you certainly could fully tame a beefalo, it takes a massive amount of resources to do so and the benefit of a beefalo (assuming it doesn't have a fatal accident) it's unlikely to ever pay off.

The sort of people who should be bothering to fully tame a beefalo (experienced players) are not the kind to need to ask about it.

Archived