[Game Update] - Herd Mentality (BETA 198138)

12 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

These mini signs are great. I'm really liking how they can be placed next to est so easily. I actually went and.  stocked up on a lot of logs and boards thinking I would need to rip apart my current storage area to fit them in. Thankfully I didn't need to do that. Although I do have one tiny little issue with them. U. sing up a whole feather pencil per sign seems like a little much. Perhaps the feather pencil could be given durability and be able to draw on maybe 4 signs before breaking? It would make setting these up a lot easier.

What? Why? The feathers only require you a twig, a charcoal and a jet feather each, so what's really the problem? It's not like there's much else you'll be using up those jet feathers for anyway!

@V2C I don't yet know much about this update in particular, but I thought I'd throw out some suggestions for ANR as a whole:

* Marble shrubs to stop at tier 3 - some people use them as purely decorative structures and them constantly changing height and in particular to a dead stage really takes away the beauty a bit. Also, this might go hand in hand with the next few suggestions.

* Marble Shrub beans to require royal jelly along with the marble in the recipe - for quite a few marble suits have essentially become superior log suits. If the beans require this boss drop, which migh make more sense aesthetically for the beans as well as in their magical growth into shrubs, there would also be less of them to farm for marble. The previous point buffs the shrubs, while this one nerfs them. The next one is another buff to make up for the nerf a bit more:

* Loot from the shrubs to be 1 - 2 marble, 1 bean for tier 1, 3 - 4 marble, 1 bean for tier 2 and 5 - 6 marble, 1 bean (although perhaps a small chance for a second bean mught be good) for tier 3. Since beans would require royal jelly, it's best they looted from all stages if shrubs, or at least one bean per. As for marble, it being pretty much doubled to make up for the grind. This would equate to 2 - 3 shrubs mined being enough to make a marble suit and in the case of using up all 6 - 7 royal jelly for shrub beans (total of 12 or 14), this would result in up to 6 or 7 marble suits per 2 -3 shrubs mined, while not taking so much time to grind for minibg dozens of them.

* Toadstool in a purple mushroom biome - the way he hides just makes you think it's supposed to be a trap-like boss. Unfortunately it isn't. Perhaps if there was a whole purple mushroom biome with real, harvestable boomshrooms, mushroom trees like the ones toadstool spawns and mushtrees like the caps on toadstool's back, while you wouldn't see the name "toadstool" on a shroom that is actually a toadstool unless you trigger it, the toadstool could act a bit more like a trap boss. The unease of boomshrooms and both types of boomshroom mushtrees in the biome might set up a kind of creepy atmosphere beforehand as well!

* Queen bee to be triggered based on the bee hives nearby destroyed and to over time renew the bee hives - it's cool that with the queen you can essentially get renewable honey combs, but for the beauty of world aesthetics, there is no change; bee hives don't respawn in any way, which is kind of sad. Perhaps if each queen bee's giant bee hive sent out a grumble bee sometimes in order to craft a new bee hive if there's, say less than 10 within a 50 or so meter radius from the giant bee hive. Then if all the normal bee hives get destroyed nearby the giant hive, queen bee would be triggered and attack the player/mob that desyroyed the last bee hive in proximity. Also, I'm not sure if this already is a thing, but more giant bee hives around the world would bee (hehe) great for multiple bee hive respawn points. And perhaps a Killer bee variant of the giant bee hive and queen beasell as grumblebees for renewing killer bee hivescould be c as well. Simply an extra challenge for getting through ceryain areas in the game in general.

* Make Dragonfly only appear during Summer - a lot of people would really like this to my knowledge and it would make staying in the overworld during summer a worth while deal as people often just go to caves as there is no real benefit to going through the challenge of summer unlike winter due to deerclops and walrus camps. This would also necessarily make Dragonfly a tougher boss because you'd be combatting heat during the battle. And may be the Dragonfly could leave her arena at one point during Summer to go after a player, changing her behaviour  slightly (no lavae because no lava ponds, perhaps during roaming mode, she wouldact more like single player dragonfly. Deafeating her at arena preventing the roaming from happening and her respawning only the next summer).

Edited by EuedeAdodooedoe
  • Like 3

Just now, Sketched_Philo said:

The new bundles are pretty useful ,but they don't seem to work correctly when it comes to carrying stacks of insects.

I put 60 killer bees in a bundle and only got 3 back when I opened it! This is robbery.

I see what you did there. Sneaky! :D

• Like 1

@V2C you might want to have a look at:

[09:06:46]: Dragonfly - Start soft reset task @ 55402.20    
[09:07:38]: [string "scripts/stategraphs/SGdragonfly.lua"]:677: attempt to index field 'brain' (a nil value)
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
scripts/stategraphs/SGdragonfly.lua:677 in (field) fn (Lua) <675-678>
   inst = 307234 - dragonfly (valid:true)
scripts/stategraph.lua:568 in (method) UpdateState (Lua) <536-580>
   self =
      tags = table: 0x15837878
      mem = table: 0x22ccd668
      statemem = table: 0x1f835308
      currentstate = table: 0x1ade6a78
      timeinstate = 1.9666667692363
      sg = Stategraph : dragonfly
      statestarttime = 55452.069558717
      bufferedevents = table: 0x136d7fe8
      lastupdatetime = 55454.036225487
      laststate = table: 0x1adc2980
      prevstate = table: 0x1adc2980
   dt = 0.13333334028721
   startstate = table: 0x1ade6a78
   idx = 3
   old_time = 1.9666667692363
   extra_time = 1.0256965965461e-07
scripts/stategraph.lua:607 in (method) Update (Lua) <599-627>
   self =
      tags = table: 0x15837878
      mem = table: 0x22ccd668
      statemem = table: 0x1f835308
      currentstate = table: 0x1ade6a78
      timeinstate = 1.9666667692363
      sg = Stategraph : dragonfly
      statestarttime = 55452.069558717
      bufferedevents = table: 0x136d7fe8
      lastupdatetime = 55454.036225487
      laststate = table: 0x1adc2980
      prevstate = table: 0x1adc2980
   dt = 0.13333334028721
scripts/stategraph.lua:125 in (method) Update (Lua) <109-148>
   self =
      updaters = table: 0x134fa728
      OnEnterNewState = function - scripts/stategraph.lua:27
      tickwaiters = table: 0x90186c8
      haveEvents = table: 0x1c80ebb8
      hibernaters = table: 0x9f7bc88
      instances = table: 0x9018678
   current_tick = 1663621
   waiters = table: 0x21c353d0
   updaters = table: 0xeb91fb8
   k = sg="dragonfly", state="lavae", time=1.97, tags = "busy,"
   v = true
scripts/update.lua:209 in () ? (Lua) <150-223>
   dt = 0.033333335071802
   tick = 1663621
   i = 1663621
	[09:07:38]: [string "scripts/stategraphs/SGdragonfly.lua"]:677: attempt to index field 'brain' (a nil value)
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
    scripts/stategraphs/SGdragonfly.lua:677 in (field) fn (Lua) <675-678>
    scripts/stategraph.lua:568 in (method) UpdateState (Lua) <536-580>
    scripts/stategraph.lua:607 in (method) Update (Lua) <599-627>
    scripts/stategraph.lua:125 in (method) Update (Lua) <109-148>
    scripts/update.lua:209 in () ? (Lua) <150-223>

[09:07:38]: CURL ERROR: () <url> malformed

• Like 1

Can't I break mini signs? I hope it will be possible. 

When I play with pets it could give a very little sanity boost like 2 points of sanity and have some wait time until I play with him again, something like 60 seconds. Maybe?

Edited by GuilhermeT

14 minutes ago, Mday said:

Looks like you cannot hammer a mini sign. You can use a deconstruction staff to do the job thou.

Am I missing something?

You dig them up with a shovel to get the sign back, it also stores what was sketched on it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mathem99 said:

I am disappointed as well, not much shocking and exciting stuff added here.

Yeah, the mini-hype that went around before the update just got killed lol :p

I think Klei's running out of ideas. Strange that they're not resorting to suggestion topic because of that though. I mean yes, they did add in the mooncaller's staff in, but most other suggestions, nothing for them. Perhaps they don't like our suggestions? Though, I do feel strongly that this should be added. Also, I just had a cool idea I thought I would share with everyone over here.

Edited by EuedeAdodooedoe
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Glhrmzz said:

Unless Bee Queen Hat does something else i'm kind disapointed that is just yet another armor.  I wanted something usefull for the Bee Boxes, would be cool. Oh well, atleast someone can feel like a Queen ;)

Edit: I love being honest so here it goes, i'm a bit disapointed with this patch, and i hope it was something extra you put together rather than part of the 8 patch you invisioned for TNR :D The only thing that really made it for this update was the signs. They are really good, rather than that, Bee Queen is a major disapointment for me, packages are jsut ok, and unless Deers will have something special, they are just another creature in the world.

Anyway lets see how the future unfolds

Best Regards,

Glhrmzz

ps. Still dont know what the pet traits are.

The new trait is pretty simple: You can pet them now

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

The new trait is pretty simple: You can pet them now

Please don't tell me that is all, according to the poster there were gonna be interactions with the pets so I was hoping pets would be finished with this update. It appears they can still all be fed with everything and I still can't do things like feeding ash to broodlings.

4 hours ago, mathem99 said:

I am disappointed as well, not much shocking and exciting stuff added here.

I quote you, but the point is more global.

We are in a beta test branch. We choose that. And we got small update time to time. It dilute the excitement, it cut all the part in small piece we can enjoy sooner but without the big impact of a bigger update. What would be really interresting is to know how the update works on people playing classic branch.

Since the beggining, we got better minimap, better minimap icon (stump, golden boulder), compass, map, moon base (a great secret if you don't read forum), chess piece, a lot of decoration (including stage end), toadstool (new boss), new structure like scarecrow, new bird, new dart related to the bird, shadow chess piece, mondial (useful and decorative), mushroom planter, bee queen (new boss, make bee box renewable, unique drop), pets, wood fence, gates, signs (decorative and useful), and package (really useful in a game when you have more and more items, so carrying more is great)

And i probably forget a lot.

It's not as big as Reign Of Giants because RoG brings some mechanism changes (new seasons, for example, wetness, insulation), but it's a lot of things. A lot of items have now multiple use. Compass have a great use now, for example. Black feather are more desirables. Marble is renewable, papyrus is useful for players even without wickerbottom, living logs are more useful (often, after having the most useful items using living logs, they were stacking uselessly in my chest), gates were something asked a lot in the past, same for a way to sort chest more easily (sign are great and i'm sure we will also see sign as warning in the future, like a sign of a tentacle spot before the tentacle trap wickerbottom created, for example)

So yeah, of course, one update could seems small, but the big picture it pretty good. Of course i want more, of course i hope more, but still there is a lot of goods things.

18 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Perhaps they don't like our suggestions?

Yeah, perhaps.

But some suggestions are bad, some aren't fitting the game spirit and style, some are too complex (really too complex), some could require a lot of coding, some are not really fun even if the author think it will be great, some are just thrown without thinking and you can't do anything with that, some are not balanced and can't be, some will require too much change to the game, some aren't small ("porting SW"), some aren't really suggestion, just request, some are too specific, some will not be worth the effort, some deserve some time to see how to include them in the game, etc...

For example, i wanted Honeycomb to be renewable. "Klei, please make honeycomb renewable" isn't a suggestion, it's a request. Klei must find a fun and logic way to make honeycomb renewable. So it's not a bad request, but it's not a suggestion.

Same, i would like to have more use for beard hair (because when you play wilderness they pretty much useless). But telling "i want more use for beard hair" isn't a suggestion, it's again a request. What will be a great new use ? A decoration ? Something offensive ? An armor ? Something used agaisnt shadow creature ? If i tell "i want to craft a talisman with beard hair that will absorb 90% of damage taken from shadow", it's a suggestion. Good one ? Balanced one ? Not sure...

For me, suggestions are like searching for gold. A lot of sand, stone and debris, rarely a gold nugget, rarely something you can refine in something great. It's not just "hey, plenty of suggestion, let's make them in the game.". Especially when it could require a LOT of work.

Even if someone have a nice idea, that will be cool for the game, Klei must think about the idea, search for all the things a player can't see, ignore or just don't care. Is it balanced in different mode game ? Is the game too easy/hard ? Will it create abuse ? Bugs ? What will be the recipe/way to obtain it ?
And after that, all the work of coding, creating art, animating, adding sound, testing, fixing bug, coding, testing, changing an anim, testing, testing, testing...

And sometime, you put a lot of work in something and... It doesn't work. The idea is great on paper, it have a lot of potential, but it simply doesn't work. It's too tedious or require too much work, it punish some behaviour (nomadic playstyle, base playstyle) when it shouldn't, it isn't rewarding, it's boring, it's...

So maybe Klei liked some suggestions, tried to make them become real and it's just not working.

And of course, there are suggestions that are great, fun and everything but are more fitting for mods, because it's nice for people liking this but not for everyone.

So it's far more complex than "Klei not liking our suggestions".

• Like 3

One of the best updates yet. I don't really use walls, so the gates, while obviously useful, didn't mean much to me. The mini signs have been needed for SO long & are going to save my friend and I so much time -- we can never remember what goes where and were always accidentally picking up the items used as markers. A constant source of aggravation taken care of. The No-Eye Deer are weirdly beautiful and bring some needed life to the relatively boring meadow biome, but I assume they'll get more interesting when the gem mechanic is in place. (Personally, I prefer new mobs to new bosses, since there's usually a lot more creativity involved in working them.)

But I have to admit, as someone who usually doesn't care about skins, what really made me want to instantly log on are all the new skins, particularly the chest skins. The character costumes are so tiny that most of the time I can barely tell them apart, tbh. I love all the new chest designs, but especially the Traveler's Trunk, with all the foreign-city stickers on it, like people used in the 1920s. The Carpet Bag one reminds me of Mary Poppins. It's a great period touch. The most frustrating thing has just been getting commons in my first two drops when all I want is a chest skin. I might actually have to buy one before it drives me crazy, 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GuilhermeT said:

Can't I break mini signs? I hope it will be possible. 

If you want to make it disappear, you can burn it. But first dig it up with a shovel and burn at somewhere else safe.

Kind of disappointed by the new mini sign though. I thought it will not use up any space, something like attaching to your existing chest. However, it did use quite some space, which I currently cant implement to my chest zone. :( 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ButtPenetrator said:

If you want to make it disappear, you can burn it. But first dig it up with a shovel and burn at somewhere else safe.

Kind of disappointed by the new mini sign though. I thought it will not use up any space, something like attaching to your existing chest. However, it did use quite some space, which I currently cant implement to my chest zone. :( 

This was actually one of my main concerns when Klei unveiled the "mini signs"... that they will take some space and this makes them not as helpful as I intended. I will be better if the won't occupy any space at all :) Then they can be placed and used with no restrictions

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mewthemew said:

"we have no eye deer" MORE PUNS!...please :3

Ok, please, could someone explain the pun to me ? My english is bad and the only idea i got is "we have no idea" but i'm not sure at all it could be even close to the pun.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Glhrmzz said:

Unless Bee Queen Hat does something else i'm kind disapointed that is just yet another armor.  I wanted something usefull for the Bee Boxes, would be cool.

Absolutely agree with this. As it is right now the bee queen hat could have been just a footbal helmet skin. I get it that the bee queen has the jelly beans, but a armor hat? Could have made it so that bees don't get out of their hives when collecting honey. Come on srly.

Least favorite update so far.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

What? Why? The feathers only require you a twig, a charcoal and a jet feather each, so what's really the problem? It's not like there's much else you'll be using up those jet feathers for anyway!

[Vmember="V2C"] I don't yet know much about this update in particular, but I thought I'd throw out some suggestions for ANR as a whole:

* Marble shrubs to stop at tier 3 - some people use them as purely decorative structures and them constantly changing height and in particular to a dead stage really takes away the beaty a bit. Also, this might go hand in hand with the next few suggestions.

* Marble Shrub beans to require royal jelly along with the marble in the recipe - for quite a few marble suits have essentially become superior log suits. If the beans require this boss drop, which migh make more sense aesthetically for the beans as well as in their magical growth into shrubs, there would also be less of them to farm for marble. The previous point buffs the shrubs, while this one nerfs them. The next one is another buff to make up for the nerf a bit more:

* Loot from the shrubs to be 1 - 2 marble, 1 bean for tier 1, 3 - 4 marble, 1 bean for tier 2 and 5 - 6 marble, 1 bean (although perhaps a small chance for a second bean mught be good) for tier 3. Since beans would require royal jelly, it's best they looted from all stages if shrubs, or at least one bean per. As for marble, it being pretty much doubled to make up for the grind. This would equate to 2 - 3 shrubs mined being enough to make a marble suit and in the case of using up all 6 - 7 royal jelly for shrub beans (total of 12 or 14), this would result in up to 6 or 7 marble suits per 2 -3 shrubs mined, while not taking so much time to grind for minibg dozens of them.

* Toadstool in a purple mushroom biome - the way he hides just makes you think it's supposed to be a trap-like boss. Unfortunately it isn't. Perhaps if there was a whole purple mushroom biome with real, harvestable boomshrooms, mushroom trees like the ones toadstool spawns and mushtrees like the caps on toadstool's back, while you wouldn't see the name "toadstool" on a shroom that is actually a toadstool unless you trigger it, the toadstool could act a bit more like a trap boss. The unease of boomshrooms and both types of boomshroom mushtrees in the biome might set up a kind of creepy atmosphere beforehand as well!

* Queen bee to be triggered based on the bee hives nearby destroyed and to over time renew the bee hives - it's cool that with the queen you can essentially get renewable honey combs, but for the beauty of world aesthetics, there is no change; bee hives don't respawn in any way, which is kind of sad. Perhaps if each queen bee's giant bee hive sent out a grumble bee sometimes in order to craft a new bee hive if there's, say less than 10 within a 50 or so meter radius from the giant bee hive. Then if all the normal bee hives get destroyed nearby the giant hive, queen bee would be triggered and attack the player/mob that desyroyed the last bee hive in proximity. Also, I'm not sure if this already is a thing, but more giant bee hives around the world would bee (hehe) great for multiple bee hive respawn points. And perhaps a Killer bee variant of the giant bee hive and queen beasell as grumblebees for renewing killer bee hivescould be c as well. Simply an extra challenge for getting through ceryain areas in the game in general.

* Make Dragonfly only appear during Summer - a lot of people would really like this to my knowledge and it would make staying in the overworld during summer a worth while deal as people often just go to caves as there is no real benefit to going through the challenge of summer unlike winter due to deerclops and walrus camps. This would also necessarily make Dragonfly a tougher boss because you'd be combatting heat during the battle. And may be the Dragonfly could leave her arena at one point during Summer to go after a player, changing her behaviour  slightly (no lavae because no lava ponds, perhaps during roaming mode, she wouldact more like single player dragonfly. Deafeating her at arena preventing the roaming from happening and her respawning only the next summer).

The only thing I can agree with is the idea of stopping the Marble trees' growth at Tier 3...

The rest is just unbalanced or just not useful at all...

-I like to have the chance to kill Dragonfly every season I want...

-After defeating the Bee Queen she drops honeycombs, so I just don't know what you mean with beehives not being renewable... Although I do think that I might be better to make Royal Jelly the primary ingredient for Beeswax instead of Beehives... That recipe is a bit unbalanced IMO

Edited by FreyaMaluk

45 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

-After defeating the Bee Queen she drops Beehives, so I just don't know what you mean with beehives not being renewable... Although I do think that I might be better to make Royal Jelly the primary ingredient for Beeswax instead of Beehives... That recipe is a bit unbalanced IMO

You're confusing honeycombs and hives. They're saying hives don't respawn. You're saying queen bee drops honeycombs.

So I've been investigating the signs.  Here's what I have so far:

sign%20showcase.jpg

They do show:

• items that can be equipped but not held (backpacks, statues)
  • small animals that fit in your inventory (and yes, combined with the first point, that includes slurpers)
  • item skins
  • lantern activation

They do not show:

• whether a bird cage is full
  • whether an animal is frozen or sleeping
  • whether an animal or object is on fire
  • black sculptures (they always look white)

And as I posted elsewhere (by mistake), you can draw signs on signs.

Edited by TemporaryMan
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, V2C said:

DSTupdate_herdmentality_sm.JPG

Changes

• Craft Mini Signs and draw an image of a nearby object on them using a Feather Pencil.
  • Organize, package, or preserve your supplies using craftable Bundling Wraps.
  • Added new critter behaviors and interactions.
  • Keep your eyes open for a new seasonal herd of No-Eyed Deers.
  • Bee Queen now drops a magnificent hat.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed bug where Terrorbeaks could sometimes be hit again after they’ve already teleported away.

View full update

I was expecting this :)

1 hour ago, FreyaMaluk said:

The only thing I can agree with is the idea of stopping the Marble trees' growth at Tier 3...

The rest is just unbalanced or just not useful at all...

-I like to have the chance to kill Dragonfly every season I want...

-After defeating the Bee Queen she drops Beehives, so I just don't know what you mean with beehives not being renewable... Although I do think that I might be better to make Royal Jelly the primary ingredient for Beeswax instead of Beehives... That recipe is a bit unbalanced IMO

YES, Honey Nuggets for life! , does Bee Queen also respawns? maybe a dumb question but it doesn't hurt to ask