[DS-DST] Reveal Lore In-game?

DS-DST Lore In-Game  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Should the old puzzles be included in the games to provide lore to players who don't go to the forums?

• Yes, so more people get to experience the story and lore behind the game and love it even more.
    • In small doses so there'll still be mystery and intrigue and would motivate them to go to the forums and look stuff up.
    • No. If they love/they're interested in the game, they'll go look up the lore behind it (and we can weed out the unworthy).
    • I am indifferent...

From the mysterious origins of the Codex Umbra, to what brand of hair gel Wilson uses, Don't Starve lore is something of a luxury.

To my dismay, I know of a few players in real life and people I happen to play with in DST that don't know the lore of the game. To some of them, it's a game where you die a lot... most of them get bored after dying and losing their progress (DS)... I myself spend time working on my survival and taming the wilds, but on nights when we gather around the camp fire and tell stories to pass the night, most have not even heard of Charlie, save for that video in the main menu where she just appears and brakes Wilson out of the Nightmare Throne... the very threat to their survival, known only as (and I paraphrase) "That woman who was there to free Wilson, yeah, where do we see her in-game?"

All the theories, all the mystery, all the drama, the lore... and some players are just joining servers in Winter, or at night and running off into the darkness, away from the protective spot light Charlie provides you to spare you from her wrath, running around digging up mushrooms... Most people are lazy and have no time to look up the lore... they find the game interesting, but without knowing the story behind all of it, they lose interest... 

And so, I am proposing that in both DS and DST, old (solved) puzzles would be present in the same way that DST has the intro-video of what happened after DS... A New Reign (goodness knows I'd like to see the Don't Starve Trailer in the DS main menu)... something like putting the William Carter Puzzles in Don't Starve... the manner in how they will be put in the game should be discussed. I for one suggest playing Adventure Mode and after conquering a chapter, reveal a link in the main menu to a/the puzzle... the more chapters finished, the more links... (forum thread or the actual puzzle)

Also, with what we have now, I still haven't found a good "Don't Starve Lore Explained" video because most channels aren't too keen on spending a lot of time uncovering the game's secrets and lore...the closest one would be:

This might evolve/devolve into a discussion about unlocking achievements, which we all know that Klei does not believe should be in Don't Starve as it pulls away from the blind and exciting survival aspect (achievements give hints... or not... discuss but keep in mind this is about lore).

That would be great! Especially if there was like a little teaser like little locked boxes on the menu, and when you hover over them, it says, "Prologue: Part 1" or some such.

So then, people are like, "Hmm, what do I have to do in the game?" And when they first find Maxwell's door, they get one, and then when they complete world five (which I've never even gotten close to doing, wah.), they get the Final Act video.

I voted indifferent, (not only because I misclicked) for the reason that most people aren't really interested in the lore (Most people I met, that is). I myself wasn't really interested until the DST lore came up. Then again, I'm not against it. I would like to see a collection of the already established lore. If only for reference.

5 hours ago, NeddoFreddo said:

Maybe when you launch the game it will play the origin trailer, like the mobile/console editions.

But skippable. I hate editing game shortcuts to avoid having to watch the intro thanking All the Rich Guys Who We Work For every time I play.

I voted for the inclusion of lore, naturally. There's a lot of room to put it in.

This would be pretty nice. Maybe it could be added to the Theater section, so we have more than just the "A New Reign" video to watch. As to how you unlock them, no idea. Maybe on a tiered system. So when you build an alchemy machine for the first time, you unlock some content. And when you build a shadow manipulator for the first time, you unlock some content. And so on. I don't know, just an idea.

While I do love myself some lore, I'd say there's no need to include past puzzles in-game. If someone wants to find out DS's story, there are plenty of sources - some of them have already been mentioned in this very thread.

Besides, if you add bits of lore into the game as unlockables, you can bet that some people will unlock them solely for completion's sake. Like how, apparently, some people just mindlessly clicked through "A New Reign" puzzle only to get the skin.

4 hours ago, Zhuzha said:

While I do love myself some lore, I'd say there's no need to include past puzzles in-game. If someone wants to find out DS's story, there are plenty of sources - some of them have already been mentioned in this very thread.

Besides, if you add bits of lore into the game as unlockables, you can bet that some people will unlock them solely for completion's sake. Like how, apparently, some people just mindlessly clicked through "A New Reign" puzzle only to get the skin.

That did come to mind... (mentioned it the spoiler too haha)

So how about this, after completing a chapter in Adventure Mode (single-player), you get, not achievements, but cutscenes... a sort of slide-show of let's say The William Carter Puzzles, completing the first chapter will fade into a grainy film filter of the first image in the puzzle, 2 for the second, 3 for chapter 3... and after Checkmate, you get The Beefalo Song The Final Act to play...

44 minutes ago, Asparagus said:

That did come to mind... (mentioned it the spoiler too haha)

So how about this, after completing a chapter in Adventure Mode (single-player), you get, not achievements, but cutscenes... a sort of slide-show of let's say The William Carter Puzzles, completing the first chapter will fade into a grainy film filter of the first image in the puzzle, 2 for the second, 3 for chapter 3... and after Checkmate, you get The Beefalo Song The Final Act to play...

NO BEEFALOOO SONG???

What a wicked game you play...

Archived