[Game Update] - 546159

18 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:maybe to prevent RNG searching, I suggested that perhaps Pearl could be paid to tell you the location instead, and that opens a window to new ocean stuff too.

I thought the entire point, and reason I bought Dont Starve and it’s DLCs, and DST- was because it promised me the ability to explore randomly generated worlds, yet some people want LESS RNG???

I really don’t get it, and Klei needs to make up their minds, am I going to get to explore randomly generated worlds and biomes, or are we going to stick everything into certain biomes and specific predetermined locations?

Thats certainly not what the product advertising packaging said I’d get..

and at this point I think the only way Klei is going to ever be able to satisfy people who want more RNG & the ones who want LESS RNG- is if they added new world Gen settings that offer that.

I preferred the original spawning design for the Werepig where it could’ve ended up in many different possible locations, that is the type of RNG I bought DS/DST expecting to get, but now it’s yet another Pig King like set peace, your always gonna know where to look for. :( 

I just hope Klei gives us a cool lore reason for its existence, and why it’s located where it’s located. (Such as for example the sealed Archives being connected to the Lunar Grotto for Lore Reasons)

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 2

7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I thought the entire point, and reason I bought Dont Starve and it’s DLCs, and DST- was because it promised me the ability to explore randomly generated worlds, yet some people want LESS RNG???

I really don’t get it, and Klei needs to make up their minds, am I going to get to explore randomly generated worlds and biomes, or are we going to stick everything into certain biomes and specific predetermined locations?

Thats certainly not what the product advertising packaging said I’d get..

and at this point I think the only way Klei is going to ever be able to satisfy people who want more RNG & the ones who want LESS RNG- is if they added new world Gen settings that offer that.

I preferred the original spawning design for the Werepig where it could’ve ended up in many different possible locations, that is the type of RNG I bought DS/DST expecting to get, but now it’s yet another Pig King like set peace, your always gonna know where to look for. :( 

I just hope Klei gives us a cool lore reason for its existence, and why it’s located where it’s located. (Such as for example the sealed Archives being connected to the Lunar Grotto for Lore Reasons)

Well that's a really good point, TBF. Being compelled to having to find things by exploring is definitely a fun part of the game, but going specifically about this boss, would it be interesting enough? The loot it gives is good, but it seems early or mid game oriented.

But I agree that exploring and resolving things on the way like when you try to loot the ruins would be something I'd like expanded on the game as well. Perhaps in the ocean?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Cassielu said:

What does that mean?

5 hours ago, Hornete said:

The Shadow Courtier perk now makes wilson takes -10% less damage from shadow affiliated mobs, while also allowing him to deal 10% extra damage towards lunar affiliated mobs.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Instant-Noodles said:

Updated designs from this change:

Nightmare Werepig

Hide contents

daywalker_imprisoned-chain_break.thumb.gif.8027c283bfef8f77539121bbd8551a7e.gif daywalker_phase1-attach_left_leech.thumb.gif.ba7469155dd011ac12dfc579e6ba8de0.gif daywalker_phase2-walk_loop.thumb.gif.a8bf02b53af5e4eac879dc1b9a5357d7.gif

Cracked Pillar

Hide contents

daywalker_pillar-idle.thumb.gif.5d72ebff8e75cfdcce19ea232526c008.gif daywalker_pillar-fall.thumb.gif.90bd952edffe2fb4ca2b52f9f6122b0b.gif

Dreadstone

Hide contents

dreadstone-idle.gif.8c5146527ab0cb3f16bc148ec93b804e.gif

Dreadstone Armor

Hide contents

armor_dreadstone-idle.gif.94da616e47f05ca5893920a8f00c0c1e.gif

Dreadstone Helm

Hide contents

hat_dreadstone-idle.gif.8c77575dd690875052134f101f1d4371.gif

Pure Horror

Hide contents

uc?id=1JacD-zVnIaUnd_l4Fd_mKBYzB3RqZNAA

EDIT: Missed the updated main menu animation

Main Menu Animation

Hide contents

dst_menu_wilson.thumb.gif.f1909a650109123cc945c2dc891fcf73.gif

man, these new designs look sick! I like red much more than pink one

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Sounds like a No True Scotsman fallacy in the making.  The worlds are randomly generated in that they aren't the same every time, but they are procedurally generated meaning they are made up of a set of rules which are followed even as they are effected by the random variations.  This is what I would expect from any "randomly generated" world for the simple fact that if the entire world WERE actually generated "truly random" or whatever you have decided "random" means, it would have absolutely zero cohesion.

This is a fact for every game in existence, and definitely ruins the player experience.  More randomness means exactly that - more of just random stuff in random places.  There are *always* rules for how the maps are built.  Variation could be increased by having less required biomes, but considering the required interactions that come from these biomes...  really limits it.  A world without pig king, lunar island, ruins, mud biome, etc etc literally means a world missing pieces that effectively waste probably 4-10 hours of a player's time as they will eventually realize "I can't do xyz" and must regen their world...

But hey, I play on PC so I could always fix such horrid worldgen with mods.  gl on console tho

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

???

I just mean that we tend to speculate a lot from the smallest things, I found it pretty funny.

3 hours ago, sylvia wander o said:

do you have examples of this

With all the character updates, year of events, and then the toss up of content updates here and there it feels like things are spread out and done randomly. (It's probably not tho) 

Unlike say a new reign when klei had less on their plate and the focus was more on world content and mechanic changes so inturn updates felt more "connected".

I ain't dissing klei btw but I'm just glad character updates are coming to a close because it gives me hope.

Hope that klei might now have some extra time to give world content or game mechanics some fresh breath like they did the character updates.

Caves, oceans, bosses, certain equipment, biomes, combat, mob interactions?

Edited by Cloakingsumo198
What if you wanted a "content" update but klei said "year of event" and "character update"
  • Like 2

Is it more direct to mix gemstones according to the principle of three primary colors?

1 red+1 yellow=1 orange

1 blue+1 yellow=1 green

1 orange+1 green=2 yellow (loss of red and blue)

3 red or 3 blue=1 purple (increase loss, also distinguish from prototype formula)

1 purple=2 red or 2 blue (loss of one red or blue, or equivalent conversion with prototype formula)

About ore:

"Turning stone into gold", the raw material is "stone", so can you add a formula of "stone=gold"?

• Big Ups 4

4 hours ago, -Variant said:

The caves are unbearably barren and empty, they feel like roads to bosses.

You go in, fight Toadstool, get loot, leave.
Now, you go in, fight Daywalker, get loot, leave.

I feel like adding the Werepig to the caves only enforces this, and doesn't actually provide more "life" to the caves.
Also it doesn't feel fitting to me. A surface mob in the caves surrounded by surface pillars. Eeehhh...

The game is mostly that. You stablish in one place, go get certain thing in certain place, and return to your base. You can say the same about ocean islands too, or even some biomes. The Bee Queen biome is nothing special if you take the Giant Bee Hive from it. Also I don't think caves are intended to stay for long, they start punish you the moment you enter them by draining  your sanity, taking away  natural light and suffering earthquakes from time to time.

Also it doesn't feel fitting to me. A surface mob in the caves surrounded by surface pillars. Eeehhh...

Well, you could say that's what  happens to a pigman when it's deprived from the moon, but why do you call them surface pillars?

Edited by DeadWhereX
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, DeadWhereX said:

Well, you could say that's what  happens to a pigman when it's deprived from the moon, but why do you call them surface pillars?

Pigmen and their moon connection are super weird. Sure they're transformed via the moon but then they also transform via Monster Meat, something commonly associated with the shadows.

Not to mention their staked heads drop Nightmare Fuel during Full Moons...

Anyways I call them surface pillars because they're Marble, while yes it's Charlies thing it's also only seen on the surface.

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, -Variant said:

Pigmen and their moon connection are super weird. Sure they're transformed via the moon but then they also transform via Monster Meat, something commonly associated with the shadows.

Anyways I call them surface pillars because they're Marble, while yes it's Charlies thing it's also only seen on the surface.

Monster Meat isn't really related to shadows, other non-shadow mobs and even the lunar mutations drop it.

Though the relation with Werepigs, the Shadows and the Moon are indeed strange, the land Pigmen are affected by their curse from the moon but the Nightmare Werepig is in that state due to shadow magic, which makes the Full Moon heads even more of an enigma contrasting each one another magics. I'm worried that the plot is putting itself into a corner because of this.

• Sanity 1

1 hour ago, -Variant said:

if I'm not mistaken, but if you put an ordinary pig in the caves, it will always be a werewolf. finding him in caves closes the question: [why is he always a werewolf?] and being near the ruins makes it clear where his strength comes from

1 hour ago, -Variant said:

perhaps pigment are weaker against any magic, so any manifestation of it. whether it's the moon. shadows or even a ghost activate their curse

• Sanity 1

I have some history and suggestions to explain to everyone why the new boss is now in the caves.
Firstly, he looks like a prisoner, a pig that ran underground to hide from the moon, got lost and found some source that made her a different werewolf, Charlie, when she saw this, urgently locked him in a trap until he got to the surface. It also explains the cracks in the floor, for these columns appeared instantly thanks to Charlie.

Since this is a prisoner for those who want to see him on the surface (I liked the idea with the island) make island for him to protect the players more if this boss is released, something like a dungeon-arena.
I think need to add a switch to the settings so that the players themselves can choose where they want to see this boss (surface / caves / ocean) because he does not have a specific place, so why not?

What is the end result?
We have a refugee being attacked by shadows who was captured by charlie so as not to be allowed to get to the surface.

But placing it near the ruins is not a good idea as almost all the bosses are there which makes the rest of the caves just unnecessary. It would be a good idea to place him close to the exit to the surface (he tried to escape but didn't manage to) that way we will have many places where he can be but at the same time it's not so difficult to check them

35 minutes ago, Creatorofswamps said:

if I'm not mistaken, but if you put an ordinary pig in the caves, it will always be a werewolf. finding him in caves closes the question: [why is he always a werewolf?] and being near the ruins makes it clear where his strength comes from

No

2 hours ago, -Variant said:

Their transformation is easy to explain. The shadow entity that is inside during the full moon breaks out to attack the gestalts that may appear, and in the dungeons with the gestalts, the shadows fight directly.

tai lung | Kung fu panda, King fu panda, Kung fu

Edited by GodIess
  • Like 2

I really like Wilson’s changes, however I think that the torch branch is a little too specific for an item that experienced players will only use for one day before switching to something more reliable.

I think that this entire Torch-Debate could be solved if the branch would Improve Lightsources in general.

Imagine a mid- to lategame Wilson having a Lantern that lasts twice as long with 50% bigger light radius and he could throw his lantern into fights to set up an arena at night. (or something like that)

I think that this could help new and experienced players alike because new players could still benefit from the torch while experienced players can improve their light situation and still benefit from the skills

• Like 6

7 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

“now I can’t rush it in the first 10 days because I don’t know where it is and the ocean is boring/expensive”

The Don't Starve community needs to understand that speedrunning shouldn't change and revision a game to their comfort. It should be the opposite. 

• Like 8

13 hours ago, V2C said:

Nightmare Werepig is now found in the Caves instead

8 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I think that biomes like surface and cave forests, surface rocky biome or stalagmite biome make the set piece fit better because of the dark tone of the turf

I think stalagmite biome or guano biome fit this boss more than muddy biome and any other biomes including surface ones, because there are nightmare fissures opening periodically, and it's the only light in place that is otherwise in permanent darkness (in stalagmite biome rare light flowers can spawn, but it's still very dark). Considering it's easier for nightmares to invade those places and it's covered in darkness it would look logical if Charlie trapped her enemy in place where she has advantage, plus it makes sence for her to trap something in place where it's unlikely majority of surviviours would walk, find trapped creature and attempt to free it, at least lore-wise. She should learn already that surviviours - and especially Wilson - are prone to sticking their noses to whatever thing they see, and among them all there is high chance Wes's luck would strike again (and work so that trapped creature would benefit, for example), and even if Wes dies, Charlie's plans could easily be screwed because of this feature of his.

From mechanical point of view nightmares periodically hindering survivior's attempts to both free Nightmare Werepig and fight it would also add another layer to the fight.

Edited by Pig Princess
  • Like 5
  • Big Ups 1

4 hours ago, DeadWhereX said:

The game is mostly that. You stablish in one place, go get certain thing in certain place, and return to your base. You can say the same about ocean islands too, or even some biomes. The Bee Queen biome is nothing special if you take the Giant Bee Hive from it. Also I don't think caves are intended to stay for long, they start punish you the moment you enter them by draining  your sanity, taking away  natural light and suffering earthquakes from time to time.

Funny you say this, because me and the fifty people who I have played with, always did an official cave base, a ruin outpost, a ocean base = a big ship or a ship working as a base and a lunar island base.

• Like 3
  • Sanity 1

44 minutes ago, Milordo said:

The Don't Starve community needs to understand that speedrunning shouldn't change and revision a game to their comfort. It should be the opposite. 

with the current loot, killing him is more a fun thing to do than a task you perform to have good loot. Make it so you can't rush it in the early days and you will only making the boss completely useless

isnt about speed running, i dont even like it, is about balance and how fun is to add things to a 10 years old autumn so the gameplay can be slightly different for once

agree that he would look dope in a prison island but he would need way more loot to be worth

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 1

I'd say that nf dropping from Pig Heads during full moon is just a remnant of the RoG full moons, before Klei had Alter and its nature thought out. 

It's mostly likely still in the game because 1) Klei doesn't go back and change/fix stuff and 2) There isn't really a moon-themed resource that they could drop, that would make sense

Although I do remember someone making an interesting theory that during full moons shadow and moon magic work like magnet's poles and nightmare fuel raises up to the surface and just so happens to end up in heads.

Buuuut, if I remeber correctly, Wanda's quote for full moon dial says that she feels safe from the shadows, which suggests that the surface should actually be rid of shadow magic during a full moon.

3 hours ago, Just-guy said:

Monster Meat isn't really related to shadows, other non-shadow mobs and even the lunar mutations drop it.

One could argue. Bearlings/lords drop monster meat and they are very much related to shadow magic

• Thanks 2

I'm one who's not a fan of having the boss in the caves, but I guess a poll determined that more people want him in the caves, so congrats. But still, drops are the same and still requires pick/axe, making the boss not worth at all. I will need to go to a thulecite crafting station, to be able to hunt down one piece of a thulecite reskin every 20 days :/

some options that I think can make this better (one or two of these changes would be enough, not all):
- reduce the respawn timer of the pig to 10 days
- double the amount of nightmare horror drops
- make the armors repairable using nightmare fuel
- add alternative sources of nightmare horrors

Also, glad they added nitre in the alchemy. Also hoping bone shards to fossils would be a thing

Edited by BB Marioni

20 minutes ago, BB Marioni said:

double the amount of nightmare horror drops

this would make the boss interesting for me. Would support the ruins rush's ammount of good armor for the early days

22 minutes ago, BB Marioni said:

add alternative sources of nightmare horrors

i guess this is already planned and for that boss was made just to give the recipes (klei seems to dont learn than killing bosses fod recipes is boring and makes the boss being forgotten) so you can have a high protection armor that can be made everywhere

right now that advantage, being able to be made everywhere, has 0 impact because you can barelly make 1 per fight...

would be weird to add to new materials just for a flat armor set but there is the moon tab with only 2 glass recipes...