[Game Update] - 546159

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

with the current loot, killing him is more a fun thing to do than a task you perform to have good loot. Make it so you can't rush it in the early days and you will only making the boss completely useless

isnt about speed running, i dont even like it, is about balance and how fun is to add things to a 10 years old autumn so the gameplay can be slightly different for once

agree that he would look dope in a prison island but he would need way more loot to be worth

Sorry, my statement was to the community, not aimed to the nightmare werepig. As I said, I don't know nothing about him. We're in the same wave when the discussion is about balance and fun, nothing against it.

My statement was for the people who "whines" when the game doesn't let them speedrun a certain boss, when the focal point of speedrunning is to find a way to avoid certain walls imposed by the game, not the other way around when they impose the developers to change the game based on their needs to speedrun (stretched example Pearl's house changes). The game is called Don't Starve, not Don't Speedrun.

Edited by Milordo

44 minutes ago, BB Marioni said:

- make the armors repairable using nightmare fuel

I can already imagine the helm with bone armor while carrying a stack of NF. As dope as that would be as the end game armor to tank anything, I dont think it's a good idea to completely invalidate thulecite armor. On another note, I'd love for the boss to spawn anywhere in the caves, but give the players an easy tracking tool. This would incentivise a lot of caves exploration without being a pain, something the caves desperately need, especially if new content is to come (personally rooting for more mushroom varieties that actually do something, from temporary buffs to narcotics).

Edited by Nweeky
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Milordo said:

Sorry, but my statement was to the community, not aimed to the nightmare werepig. As I said, I don't know nothing about him. We're in the same wave when the discussion is about balance and fun, nothing against it.

My statement was for the people who "whines" when the game doesn't let them speedrun a certain boss, when the focal point of speedrunning is to find a way to avoid certain walls imposed by the game, not the other way around when they impose the developers to change the game based on their needs to speedrun (stretched example Pearl's house changes). The game is called Don't Starve, not Don't Speedrun.

as someone who always spend his summer in the caves and forgot to pick the damn flowers,i think the change to pearl was good change and the recipe makes more sense. And they could made summer/spring start worlds to speed run CC like they can speed run a boat/pick woodie/use a seeded world to look after daywalker hypothetical island

i agree that not everything should be open to speed running since day one if that closes interesting mechanic opportunities (which pearl house recipe wasnt).

They never complain about being unable speed run klaus (deers only spawn in autumn for some reason), antlion and company and even if they did these bosses shouldnt be changed because of that

and this boss shouldnt be locked behind something like cacti flowers just because

an island set piece for him really fits but the loot would need serious buffs 

• Like 2

Rather than have it refuel, what if it passively repaired itself a few % every day? It would be a coveted armor type in that case because you can wear it when doing menial tasks and don't want to have to feed your eye mask and still have some decent protection. Maybe it would gain 25% per day? It would also encourage re-fighting it in multiplayer for giving everyone the armor.

Alternatively, have it stack it's protection with other armors(or only as a 2-piece set bonus). Don't give it 100%, obviously you would have to change the formula a bit, but it could be like singleplayer where the armor values can somewhat combine which would make it's expensive price justified.

Edited by cropo

26 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

as someone who always spend his summer in the caves and forgot to pick the damn flowers,i think the change to pearl was good change and the recipe makes more sense.

In fact I said "stretched example". I supported back on the day the changes to pearl :)

Edited by Milordo
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, cropo said:

Rather than have it refuel, what if it passively repaired itself a few % every day? It would be a coveted armor type in that case because you can wear it when doing menial tasks and don't want to have to feed your eye mask and still have some decent protection. Maybe it would gain 25% per day? It would also encourage re-fighting it in multiplayer for giving everyone the armor.

Alternatively, have it stack it's protection with other armors(or only as a 2-piece set bonus). Don't give it 100%, obviously you would have to change the formula a bit, but it could be like singleplayer where the armor values can somewhat combine which would make it's expensive price justified.

i dont that it being rechargable is a good idea. With the shield and eyemask makes sense because there are better armors and weapons, they have low durability and they can break, with the bone armor makes sense because it only protects you for 1 hit.

Making this armor reparable only would devaluate most of the armors in the game, making the content behind them worthless

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i dont that it being rechargable is a good idea. With the shield and eyemask makes sense because there are better armors and weapons, they have low durability and they can break, with the bone armor makes sense because it only protects you for 1 hit.

Making this armor reparable only would devaluate most of the armors in the game, making the content behind them worthless

There is a difference between something you can repair by chucking a few monster meat at in an instant, and something that takes 5 full days to fully repair without being able to speed up the process at all.

So unless you're saying the player would wait 5 days without any combat at all to repair the armor every time it breaks would devalue the armor, I don't really agree. Keep in mind the player has to enter the ruins and get a pick/axe to even start the process of getting this armor.  I don't really think the two scenarios are comparable.

4 minutes ago, cropo said:

There is a difference between something you can repair by chucking a few monster meat at in an instant, and something that takes 5 full days to fully repair without being able to speed up the process at all.

So unless you're saying the player would wait 5 days without any combat at all to repair the armor every time it breaks would devalue the armor, I don't really agree. Keep in mind the player has to enter the ruins and get a pick/axe to even start the process of getting this armor.  I don't really think the two scenarios are comparable.

if is passive could work but i prefer a fancier perk since the only fight you would use it then is for things like hounds or small bosses so at that point you could simply use other armor since will take a lot of time to break it anyway with how passive is dst in terms of combat. You could use your perk to fight big bosses but then you would need to check all the time the durability to unequip it which can be annoying, you wont use it for ruins cleaning and other long session fighting and make little psinergy or sense with the ability to craft it on the go (why being able to craft it as a advantage over thulecite if you dont need to craft more?)

dont get me wrong, the idea is cool but i prefer other perks to make the armor more appealing 

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo

5 minutes ago, gamehun20 said:

maybe make it so gestalts run away from if you are wearing the set?

celestial crown already makes gastals neutral to you regardles of your lunacy, and bone helmet doesnt let them spawn

• Like 1
  • Sanity 1

Anyway, most players who have been playing for a long time will kill everyone without damage and a regular set of wooden armor will be more attractive than something expensive and unique that cannot be repaired. This is exactly why I don't use tulecite :\

How about this idea: after wearing it, we can put a stone, and it will restore the armor during the time we wear it, it will not be an instant repair, but something similar to a miner's helmet, but the other way around

Refill the armor and it will slowly repair itself over time

I hate the decision to keep Wilson a basic, boring character, just so new players can play him once and switch to Wendy. Instead of making a proper tutorial mode, they sacrificed the main protagonist for it. People keep saying that he's the most played character, but for some reason I almost never see Wilsons on pubs, even totally new players mostly prefer other characters, so I don't buy that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Big Ups 2

3 hours ago, Szczuku said:

One could argue. Bearlings/lords drop monster meat and they are very much related to shadow magic

Monster Meat may just mean that it's meat that come from a monster, Ancient Guardian is literally full of Nightmare Fuel yet he drops normal Meat.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ThymeSpirit said:

I hate the decision to keep Wilson a basic, boring character, just so new players can play him once and switch to Wendy. Instead of making a proper tutorial mode, they sacrificed the main protagonist for it. People keep saying that he's the most played character, but for some reason I almost never see Wilsons on pubs, even totally new players mostly prefer other characters, so I don't buy that.

This is the worst rework. It's sad, but it's the truth.

4 minutes ago, Cruvimaster said:

I don't agree with you, resource transmutation is quite useful when you have 2 stacks of flint that have nowhere to go, or mountains of gold and you go looking for saltpeter because it all went to dust. Or make 2 meatballs or eggs from 1 piece of meat

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, GodIess said:

Anyway, most players who have been playing for a long time will kill everyone without damage and a regular set of wooden armor will be more attractive than something expensive and unique that cannot be repaired. This is exactly why I don't use tulecite :\

How about this idea: after wearing it, we can put a stone, and it will restore the armor during the time we wear it, it will not be an instant repair, but something similar to a miner's helmet, but the other way around

Refill the armor and it will slowly repair itself over time

if a player has been playing for soo long and can kill everything with basic alchemist engine gear means that using thulecite isnt expensive... most experience players use thulecite gear for daily combat like killing spiders. In the long run, is less grindy to have a chests filled with thulecite gear than using log suits or football helmet

for that the armor needs to be attractive in some way

8 minutes ago, Cruvimaster said:

I hate to say it, but even Winona's was arguably better - at least she got a structure that can be used for farms or defense, not just an ability to turn some common resource into another less common resource by clicking a button a bajillion times.

3 minutes ago, GodIess said:

I don't agree with you, resource transmutation is quite useful when you have 2 stacks of flint that have nowhere to go, or mountains of gold and you go looking for saltpeter because it all went to dust. Or make 2 meatballs or eggs from 1 piece of meat

"Useful" doesn't automatically mean "fun". No one is going to play him just for that.

Edited by ThymeSpirit
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GodIess said:

but that branch of the tree is the only good one

torch branch is useless even for new players because isnt hard to see that you can make better and cheap light items (easier to figure out with the new crafting IU) and requires a lot of points for little reward. The beard branch is redundant and only useful in winter (the food slot isnt bad but you need many points to unlock)

Wilson could have been a blank character with interesting crafts like wicker...

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, GodIess said:

The best things Wilson does are for late game. And late game we don't need it anymore. He is a character to trade in the portal, make the items and trade again.

Of course there are good things about the rework. But it's very limited.

Can't create living log, can't do simple swap between red and blue gems (early game would be very useful), can't make salt.

The potential is huge, but the execution is very restrained.

Edited by Cruvimaster
  • Like 1