[Game Update] - 546159

55 minutes ago, Cruvimaster said:

This is the worst rework. It's sad, but it's the truth.

As an actual Wilson main with over a thousand hours of gameplay with him, I am actually very pleased with this rework. I tend to megabase with him so I stack up with a lot of extra resources and overpowered farms and being able to transmute them is a godsend. Even the torch perk is amazing in my longterm world with caves disabled since I cant easily get lightbulbs (2k days in this specific one). I also personally love the 1.7 times modifier for the insulation perk, which makes CC crown in winter with fire nettles even better than they currently are. And dont even get me started on being able to produce nitre for my long term beefalo stall from monster meat. Good job Klei!

Edited by Nweeky
  • Like 5

very disappointing update, more things locked behind ultra late game in caves and gimmicky recipes especially in gems.

3 red gem : 1 blue gem or 3B : 1 R doesnt make any sense in what case we will be using it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nweeky said:

As an actual Wilson main with over a thousand hours of gameplay with him, I am actually very pleased with this rework. I tend to megabase with him so I stack up with a lot of extra resources and overpowered farms and being able to transmute them is a godsend. Even the torch perk is amazing in my longterm world with caves disabled since I cant easily get lightbulbs (2k days in this specific one). I also personally love the 1.7 times modifier for the insulation perk, which makes CC crown in winter with fire nettles even better than they currently are. And dont even get me started on being able to produce nitre for my long term beefalo stall from monster meat. Good job Klei!

I understand his point of view, but he only confirms what he said: Wilson is good for late game. In a world of 2000 days even Wes is OP.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, maxwell_winters said:

How is getting attacked by 5 Nightmares while fighting a boss who has knockback and heals interesting? 

1. You can start the fight when nightmare cycle is in calm phase or even before dawn phase ends since nightmares despawn pretty consistently during this phase (and sometimes half of that phase is already nightmare-free), and continue fight even through warn phase. In worst case scenario it's 7.5 minutes already to kill boss (6 from calm, 1.5 from warn), and boss is not that hard, plus it's health is not on Toadstool level so it's plenty of time.

2. You can lead boss away from fissures. In those biomes fissures are not spread evenly, and while there can be like 3 almost on top of each other... Just be aware of your surroundings? Leading boss away from this biome also works. By the way, even in calm phase one can see cracks that mark places where fissures open. And no, this is not equivalent of boss spawning somewhere safe from the beginning, because one needs to be smart enough to think about leading away. Also scouting beforehand during warn/nightmare/dawn phases to see fissures better and marking safe routes is another layer where one can be rewarded for planning.

3. You can use bone helm, i.e. it's another strategic decision you can make. Boss is definitely more early game-y than Ancient Fuelweaver in general, but one can't do everything in the same time anyway; for characters that benefit from bone helm anyway (Wickerbottom, Maxwell, to some extent Wanda) I can see player shifting priorities so bone helm would be available for that fight.

Moreover, fissure don't spawn a lot of nightmares (as far as I know, it's 1 per fissure). It's very possible to kill them all even if player didn't manage to avoid fight with them. Also knowledge about aggro range of nightmare creatures on sight and on attack of other nightmare suddenly becomes important, so player can choose to kite crawling nightmare instead of attacking it during this bossfight, for example. This could make fight less monotone.

Famous nightmarebeak train from ruins happen only if player is not careful and, for example, goes to repaired station in nightmare phase, and then flees away through muddy sacred biome with nightmares from like 5 fissures or through recently generating room with 4 nightmare lights (the one with 2 rooks and 1 bishop). So this also rewards player for dealing with panic and being mindful about retreat route.

6 minutes ago, Pig Princess said:

1. You can start the fight when nightmare cycle is in calm phase or even before dawn phase ends since nightmares despawn pretty consistently during this phase

Extra planning for loot that's questionably useful as is. AG has better loot and you don't have to apply the engaging mechanic of waiting to plan his fight, even though he's right in the ruins. 

7 minutes ago, Pig Princess said:

2. You can lead boss away from fissures.

You have to bring him back to the spawn to get Dreadstone. 

9 minutes ago, Pig Princess said:

You can use bone helm

By the time you get Bone Helm you'll forget that Nightmare Werepig ever existed. 

• Haha 1
  • Wavey 1
  • Shopcat 1

2 hours ago, ThymeSpirit said:

I hate the decision to keep Wilson a basic, boring character, just so new players can play him once and switch to Wendy. Instead of making a proper tutorial mode, they sacrificed the main protagonist for it. People keep saying that he's the most played character, but for some reason I almost never see Wilsons on pubs, even totally new players mostly prefer other characters, so I don't buy that.

It's really sad. Wilson has always been the calling card and the main face of Don't Starve. He's not worthy of such a rework. I am sure that it was possible to come up with and implement much better and more interesting :wilson_cry:

• Like 3

Why is everyone discounting the dreadstone armor? I for one will use it by duping the materials with green gems and we all know that these materials weren't added just for one boss, in the next few updates we will see more options to obtaining the resources as Nightmare Werepig seems to be there to drop the recipes that currently exist for dreadstone and pure horror. 

Night armor has such low durability and the resources are a pain to gather until you can find moon quay and have splumonkey farm set up so that you can get blueprints so that you can craft Papyrus from them and there's also nightmare fuel that is also not easy to gather unless you use specific characters to set up farms. 

Marble Suit is also kind of annoying to craft because of how long it takes for marble shrubs to grow and if you miss the last growth phase and they reset to stage 1.. You need Bearger/Forest Stalker and a large investment of time to get enough marble to plant for it to be worth and it also slows you down by 30%.

Dreadstone helm will not be used as much because of thulecite crown's force field ability when both items have the same 90% damage resistance, @cropo's idea for to repair as you wear it could work or anything else for it to have something over thulecite crown without being too strong, I don't think that we should be able to repair it ourselves with materials as that is a bit too much and there is already a number of items in the game that allow that so we don't need another one especially considering this one already surpasses them with high damage resistance and durability. 

I think 5-10% per day would be enough, 25% would be a bit too much considering the high durability and for only the helmet to have this self repair ability when worn.

Edited by 00petar00
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

Why is everyone discounting the dreadstone armor? I for one will use it by duping the materials with green gems and we all know that these materials weren't added just for one boss, in the next few updates we will see more options to obtaining the resources as Nightmare Werepig seems to be there to drop the recipes that currently exist for dreadstone and pure horror. 

Night armor has such low durability and the resources are a pain to gather until you can find moon quay and have splumonkey farm set up so that you can get blueprints so that you can craft Papyrus from them and there's also nightmare fuel that is also not easy to gather unless you use specific characters to set up farms. 

Marble Suit is also kind of annoying to craft because of how long it takes for marble shrubs to grow and if you miss the last growth phase and they reset to stage 1.. You need Bearger/Forest Stalker and a large investment of time to get enough marble to plant for it to be worth and it also slows you down by 30%.

Dreadstone helm will not be used as much because of thulecite crown's force field ability when both items have the same 90% damage resistance, @cropo's idea for to repair as you wear it could work or anything else for it to have something over thulecite crown without being too strong, I don't think that we should be able to repair it ourselves with materials as that is a bit too much and there is already a number of items in the game that allow that so we don't need another one especially considering this one already surpasses them with high damage resistance and durability. 

I think 5-10% per day would be enough, 25% would be a bit too much considering the high durability and for only the helmet to have this self repair ability when worn.

because it only drops enough for 1 armor which makes him not worth fighting and if you are gonna waste green gems you could be dupping thulecite which allows you to craft better armor without sanity drain

9 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

because it only drops enough for 1 armor which makes him not worth fighting and if you are gonna waste green gems you could be dupping thulecite which allows you to craft better armor without sanity drain

95% damage reduction is something thulecite armors don't have.

Edited by 00petar00
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

95% damage reduction is something thulecite armors don't have.

which, unless you are playing wanda, is not worth

edit: the sanity drain can make you receive more damage than that 5%...

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo
  • Like 1

I made a mod here, I think it's a pretty interesting idea

image.gif.6f91d5389a96d89a306c7018d7419a25.gif

using 6 dreadstone can restore 100%

The only thing that needs to be changed is the color, from green to some kind of red or half black

Edited by GodIess
  • Hunger 1
  • Sanity 1

2 hours ago, maxwell_winters said:

Extra planning for loot that's questionably useful as is

If loot is questionably useful, don't you think the problem is with loot then?

2 hours ago, maxwell_winters said:

you don't have to apply the engaging mechanic of waiting

Nice strawman there. Planning is engaging. Also by that logic hound/worm waves, rain, darkness, deerclops should be disabled should player start boss fight. Would you call it "waiting" sarcastically as well? Technically with poor planning it could delay you after all. Would you advertise for removal all those factors while player fights a boss? But you know, I have a feeling it's pointless to describe to you how successful planning could feel rewarding.

3 hours ago, maxwell_winters said:

You have to bring him back to the spawn to get Dreadstone.

You have to let NW smash columns at the start of 2nd phase, after that you don't have to stay in same place. Before that it's only 6000 damage to deal, and minimum duration of nightmare-free phases leaves enough time to deal that damage to even Wes with something like pick/axe.

3 hours ago, maxwell_winters said:

By the time you get Bone Helm you'll forget that Nightmare Werepig ever existed

I don't know when you tend to get bone helm, but as I wrote already, it's only one of the solutions, and with certain characters it's good idea to rush FW, so your sequence of events doesn't necessarily descibe sequence of event other people experience during their playthrough.

Also you conveniently ignored what I wrote for the most part, as if it's not relevant to answer to. But I suggest to reread it and try to understand that I just listed multiple approaches, and mentioned extra engagement required from player. I think this is the direction changes should take, and if there is indeed some problems with utility of loot or other things, those things should be worked upon, not completely unrelated aspects sabotaged from improvement.

An idea to make Dreadstone armor (both torso and head pieces) a bit more unique: perhaps it can regenerate its hp while "eating" wearer's sanity in incremental chunks or the like. Obviously it needs to be worn for effect to take place. To spice-up things even further, it could also - RNG-wise - "eat" at random intervals big sanity amounts from player wearing it (& proportionally restoring its durability), introducing the additional con of character suddenly going insane. Needless to mention, if player's already insane Dreadstone armor doesn't regenerate HP. Could be an interesting way to go with mentioned armor.

Edited by MostMerryTomcat
*typo*
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MostMerryTomcat said:

An idea to make Dreadstone armor (both torso and head pieces) a bit more unique: perhaps it can regenerate its hp while "eating" wearer's sanity in incremental chunks or the like. Obviously it needs to be worn for effect to take place. To spice-up things even further, it could also - RNG-wise - "eat" at random intervals big sanity amounts from player wearing it (& proportionally restoring its durability), introducing the additional con of character suddenly going insane. Needless to mention, if player's already insane Dreadstone armor doesn't regenerate HP. Could be an interesting way to go with mentioned armor.

sanity is very easy to restore, making this armor infinite. Recovery thanks to the dreadstone is more logical. You can still lose it if you don't have an extra dreadstone to regenerate

2 minutes ago, GodIess said:

sanity is very easy to restore, making this armor infinite. Recovery thanks to the dreadstone is more logical. You can still lose it if you don't have an extra dreadstone to regenerate

Same can pretty much be said about Eye Mask & Shield of Terror + food (well, can even use Rot, that's quasi-present everywhere from mid-game onward), making them infinite for very-low cost. But is ok, am not adamant on said idea. Only want to underline once more the need for Dreadstone armor pieces to have some particular trait to make them more unique and interesting, fun-to-have mechanics. As of now are Thulecite 2.0, but with a boss-fight twist for getting them.

22 minutes ago, MostMerryTomcat said:

Same can pretty much be said about Eye Mask & Shield of Terror + food (well, can even use Rot, that's quasi-present everywhere from mid-game onward), making them infinite for very-low cost. But is ok, am not adamant on said idea. Only want to underline once more the need for Dreadstone armor pieces to have some particular trait to make them more unique and interesting, fun-to-have mechanics. As of now are Thulecite 2.0, but with a boss-fight twist for getting them.

but eye mask and shield of terror dont match the best armors in the game in stats so they end up being an alternative...

3 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

which, unless you are playing wanda, is not worth

95% damage reduction is twice as much as 90% which means you need half as much healing, it's absolutely worth it

I already go straight for marble suits + football helms whenever I want to kill any boss that needs to be tanked early, this armor is a welcome addition imo

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

95% damage reduction is twice as much as 90% which means you need half as much healing, it's absolutely worth it

I already go straight for marble suits + football helms whenever I want to kill any boss that needs to be tanked early, this armor is a welcome addition imo

not saying that is bad but 95% protection with sanity drain, you dont waste that much healing but you might waste sanity food, when you cant get more than 1 without using green gems by fighting a 10k boss every 20 days isnt great. Is a good thing to have an armor you can craft by simply having green staffs and amulets in the base but doesnt change much compared to bringing to base some bundles with thulecite gear

i would be happy if he drops twice as horror so we can make 2 or 4 with a green amulet because if they ever add more sources of these materials i doubt would be worth refighting this boss and i really like when bosses are important in all stages of the game unlike CK

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo

19 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

but eye mask and shield of terror dont match the best armors in the game in stats so they end up being an alternative...

True; but Shield of Terror is quite a very good weapon at 51 dmg and pretty much infinite durability - can be said to be outpaced only by Thulecite Club, Glass Cutter & Dark Sword in baseline damage output (all-characters use). But when one factors said infinite durability at the price of.. whatever one finds cruising the land (including Rot), is arguably best type of weapon to have in daily usage. Having Dreadstone armor with infinite durability at the price of sanity would be quite strong, yet is just one suggestion. Dreadstone fragments can be, of course, another way to go at it; but I aimed at a more active trait, intrinsic to the armor and not to player action directly, making it for an interesting con too. Remains to be seen what KLei would do, but I hope they will add something to Dreadstone Head&Chest pieces - as of now they look like a slightly-lesser clone of Thule counterparts, locked behind a boss; and that's a pity first and foremost from creativity standpoint.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GodIess said:
12 hours ago, Creatorofswamps said:

if I'm not mistaken, but if you put an ordinary pig in the caves, it will always be a werewolf. finding him in caves closes the question: [why is he always a werewolf?] and being near the ruins makes it clear where his strength comes from

Expand  

No

I could have sworn it was. it wasn't in the usual don't starve? if not, I was legendarily deceived