[Game Update] - 530195

• Developer

Changes

• Magician’s Top Hat is now a crafting recipe instead of a Codex Umbra spell.
  • Magician’s Chest will now appear in the Shadow Magic crafting filter.
  • Increased range and improved Shadow Duelist attack speed scaling checks for whether Maxwell is nearby and in combat.
  • Greatly increased range for Shadow Duelist damage scaling based on Maxwell’s equipped items.
  • Additional Nightmare Fuel themed items that affect this damage scaling:
    • Tier 1: All amulets
    • Tier 2: Magician’s Top Hat, Dark Sword, Night Armor, Thulecite equipment
    • Tier 3: Bone equipment (when fueled)
    • Tier 4: Shadow Thurible (when fueled)
  • Equipping Magician’s Top Hat or Shadow Thurible (when fueled) will now cause Greater Gestalts to target you.
  • Shadow Servants, Polly Rogers, and the Lazy Forager will no longer automatically pick up:
    • Light Bulb, Glow Berry, Thermal Stone, Flare, Hostile Flare, Moon Rock Idol, Wind-Up Mouse Toy, Hatching Tallbird Egg, Floating Lantern, Active Desert Stone, Shell Bells, Bernie, Beefalo Bell, Cratered Moonrock, any Moon Lens, any plans item such as the Portal Paraphernalia, items that are exclusively character crafted, any equippable item, any tool, and any Kit item that builds with a placement hologram such as the Cawnival Decor and Boat building kits.
    • These items were selected due to their high negative impact on a player’s experience when something automatically picks them up.
  • Shadow Servants will no longer pick gems out of gem sockets.
  • Added Cave Banana Trees to world regrowth.
  • Changes to maximum sanity penalties will now trigger HUD pulse and sound effects.
  • Updated Magician’s Top Hat icon FX.
  • Added sounds for the Shadow Sneak spell.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed being able to lock an icing projectile in the Shadow Prison.
  • Fixed a crash related to Shadow Duelists being hit under certain conditions.
  • Fixed a crash related to entities that never sleep during client initialization.
  • This will fix the issue with the pocket container that is accessed with the Magician’s Top Hat and others.
  • Fixed the new Shadow Minions to no longer migrate between shards.
  • Fixed an issue with inventory opening and closing with other people using the same container.
  • Fixed Shadow Bishop not targeting Shadow Minions durings its attacks.
  • Fixed Shadow Servants working too far out of summon range if lured with a series of tasks.
  • Fixed bug with Magician’s Top Hat being used as ingredient for recipes that need a regular Top Hat.
  • Fixed Walter’s slingshot being low quality when held.
  • Fixed missing stump tag for Cave Banana Tree stumps.
  • Fixed Wanda’s Bishop skin for the old age to have missing hair when wearing hats like the Bee Queen Crown.
  • Fixed Shadow Servants picking event starting objects such as the Moon Stone.
  • Fixed Shadow Servants, Polly Rogers, and the Lazy Forager trying to harvest traps ready to be sprung.
  • Fixed followers like Beefalo and the Extra-Adorable Lavae from teleporting to the World’s origin when their following item is placed in a pocket dimensional container.

Notes to Modders

• For items that you have locked behind a builder_tag and would like for the automatic item pickup behaviour to apply you will need to add `allowautopick = true` in your Recipe2’s config parameter.
  • TUNING.REDAMULET_CONVERSION_TIME has been added for easier modding.

View full update

• Like 37
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2
  • Sanity 1
  • Wavey 1
  • GL Happy 3

11 minutes ago, Canis said:

If im understanding this correctly, shadow duelists' max damage is now 100/hit with bone equipment + dark sword. All hail end-game options!

Each level now increase the damage by 4, for a base amount of 20, as the max amount of point you have is 10 (all fuelweaver loots) your max damage is 60 with their default attack

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad Dupe 1

Very bad... The effect of the bone suit is put too high. Compared with the shadow suit and thulium mine suit, they have no meaning. After skilled players kill the cave boss quickly, they don't need the shadow suit and thulium mine suit at all. I don't think this is a good data. The effect of the bone suit should be lower than them

5 minutes ago, xhyom said:

So Maxwell is doing less damage with Dark sword + Night Armor + Top Hat? :confused:

I'm not the biggest fan of it but basically in order to reach max damage now you need higher tiered shadow equipment refer to the tiers in the notes but in exchange now his shadows do max damage even from long range.

Edit: In other words to have 60 damage shadows you need the bone armor, thurible, and bone helm personally I preferred the pre patch style of staying close to deal higher damage.

Edited by Mysterious box
  • Like 11

21 minutes ago, xhyom said:

So Maxwell is doing less damage with Dark sword + Night Armor + Top Hat? :confused:

Yeah, this makes no sense. Feels like they took one step forward and two steps back. What...

Idk, I feel like they should be on the same tier. You're already punished for wearing night armor at low sanity because you risk going insane. I think the drawbacks balance out it's previous tier. Fuelweaver loot still outclasses it because of the added benefits (if they were the same tier).

Maybe give shadow gear a "range" penalty as well. And keep it the same tier.

Then you'll have a good high risk set and a more end game low risk set that are set apart by the difficulty in how they're obtained.

Edited by HowlVoid
  • Like 11

Wow, you guys are going all out on these Duelist changes, and I'm very very excited for them all : o

28 minutes ago, King Maxwell said:

Still expecting a reduction in the spellcasting animation time or the possibility to cancel the spellcasting animation maxwell still feels awkward when casting spells.

When THE Maxwell says something maybe it could use a shorter animation?

13 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I'm not the biggest fan of it but basically in order to reach max damage now you need higher tiered shadow equipment refer to the tiers in the notes but in exchange now his shadows do max damage even from long range.

Edit: In other words to have 60 damage shadows you need the bone armor, thurible, and bone helm personally I preferred the pre patch style of staying close to deal higher damage.

5 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Yeah, this makes no sense. Feels like they took one step forward and two steps back. What...

Weird. I didn't really like this idea for the simple fact that Wurt exists, but now it's worse, what reason do I have to use a character that consumes all my sanity for 5 fighters that I need to be equipped with specific items at all times and participate in the fight with them (75 hp...) for them to do considerable damage if I can give seeds to little green men (who can cut trees and mine...) and use a banana boomerang to exterminate everything in front of me. Weird...

• Like 4

Correct me if im wrong:

Tier 1- 4 damage

Tier 2- 8 damage

Tier 3 - 12 damage 

Tier 4 - 16 damage

Magician hat+dark sword+night armour gives duelists 44 damage now but they also buffed range that the damage buff gets applied from maxwell to compensate.

Bone helm+bone suit+ shadow thurible gives the old max of 60 damage.

Edit: klei could we also imbue the dapper vest with shadow giving it log suit armour values and tier 2 damage, be nice to have another craft not tied to shadow manipulator or ancient fuelweaver for boosting duelist damage. Plus maxwell needs to be dapper as fu...  as he roams through his old kingdom.

Edited by Gashzer
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, xhyom said:

Weird. I didn't really like this idea for the simple fact that Wurt exists, but now it's worse, what reason do I have to use a character that consumes all my sanity for 5 fighters that I need to be equipped with specific items at all times and participate in the fight with them (75 hp...) for them to do considerable damage if I can give seeds to little green men (who can cut trees and mine...) and use a banana boomerang to exterminate everything in front of me. Weird...

I mean the previous form had a advantage over Wurt in that his followers are on demand and don't require the same level of upkeep but I still preferred the previous version since it actively rewarded you for participating in combat this change turned him into a caster who just sits back and hopes his shadows can handle things for him which I guess is what people wanted but still it's disappointing...

• Like 4

maxwell was almost perfect and now duellists sucks  again:wilson_confused:

give me my old perma clones over this maxwell

Just now, Mysterious box said:

I mean the previous form had a advantage over Wurt in that his followers are on demand and don't require the same level of upkeep but I still preferred the previous version since it actively rewarded you for participating in combat this change turned him into a caster who just sits back and hopes his shadows can handle things for him which I guess is what people wanted but still it's disappointing...

this version is the worst that could happened, he lost all his strengths, he lost the OG servants, the duellists, only kept the walls

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, edulopes said:

maxwell was almost perfect and now duellists sucks  again:wilson_confused:

give me my old perma clones over this maxwell

this version is the worst that could happened, he lost all his strengths, he lost the OG servants, the duellists, only kept the walls

I mean he still has the same amount of power in his summons once you get him fully geared but in his fully geared state your actively encouraged not to fight for yourself which is shown by the increased range and the fact that for full power you need to hold the thurible lore wise it makes sense but gameplay wise...

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Just now, Mysterious box said:

I mean he still has the same amount of power in his summons once you get him fully geared but in his fully geared state your actively encouraged not to fight for yourself which is shown by the increased range and the fact that for full power you need to hold the thurible lore wise it makes sense but gameplay wise...

Tbh with the hat, dark sword and armour duelists are still doing 44 damage, maxwell can stay further away from the fight now.... so its kind like we have went back to pre-hotfix maxwell. He should be back to his "cheesy" self for wrecking bosses... atleast u have to grind some gear first tho.

• Like 2