Oxygen Not Included October 2022 Roadmap

• Developer

Hey friends, 

As we mentioned recently, we’re shifting our focus to releasing ongoing updates instead of a DLC2. You can read more about that here.

A new adventure means a new roadmap—here’s what you can expect from us over the coming months!

Overview
We’ll be releasing free, ongoing updates several times a year. Actual timelines will vary as we settle into a rhythm. Currently, the plan is for them to be seasonal. 

You can look forward to fresh new content that’ll keep your Duplicants on their nonexistent toes—like the Story Traits mentioned below—as well as bug fixes and performance and quality of life improvements. There’ll be something for both base game players and Spaced Out! DLC players in every update. 

One of the big new additions is the Story Trait system. It’s an interactive POI take on world traits, with unique gameplay challenges that unlock new lore and offer ongoing benefits once completed. They’re designed to build out the ONI universe and create new ways to interact with the existing gameplay loops. 

image.png

It all kicks off here, in our October update.

A few specifics 
Some of the projects we’re working on for the next few updates include:

• Story Traits! The inaugural pair are a gargantuan dream-analyzing machine and a handy critter-mutator. More to come…
  • Expanded surface gameplay tools and content!
  • QoL improvement! E.g. Expanded database and a searchable build menu for the base game, and improvements to Spaced Out! rocketry. 
  • New Room types! We’re thinking: Laboratory, Mission Control Room, better bedrooms… 

And then? 
Bigger things like new starting biomes, richer world gen options, and even new sim systems are on the horizon too, but these take longer to develop, so no short-term promises.

Another long-term goal we’re working on is a cosmetic skins system. Our skins system will be modeled on what’s worked for Don’t Starve Together, so anyone who’s ever played DST will feel right at home. We’re starting with some new decor, buildings, clothing and then will gather feedback and see what else you’d like skinned. It may be a little odd to add cosmetic skins to a single-player game, but we’re hoping this’ll let us keep making free content updates for everybody rather than DLC.

image.png

Summary
We’re planning to release several free updates per year, starting in October. They’ll include new content, performance and QoL improvements, and bug fixes. A new cosmetic skins system is also in the works for future updates. 

Thank you to everyone for your bug reports, feedback and forum posts! We read it all, so keep it coming. We’re so excited to be blasting off in a new direction with such a stellar crew. 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5
  • Ninja 1
  • Big Ups 2

20 minutes ago, JarrettM said:

improvements to Spaced Out! rocketry. 

can't wait for those! sounds great!

21 minutes ago, JarrettM said:

New Room types! We’re thinking: Laboratory, Mission Control Room, better bedrooms… 

Great news! Many players love having more room options!

26 minutes ago, JarrettM said:

Another long-term goal we’re working on is a cosmetic skins system. Our skins system will be modeled on what’s worked for Don’t Starve Together, so anyone who’s ever played DST will feel right at home. We’re starting with some new decor, buildings, clothing and then will gather feedback and see what else you’d like skinned. It may be a little odd to add cosmetic skins to a single-player game, but we’re hoping this’ll let us keep making free content updates for everybody rather than DLC.

I never played DST, how does it work there? Is it like small cosmetic content for a small price? That would be great, nothing odd with that and I'm sure many players will appreciate it. 

Overall great news, thanks Klei! Future is going to be great!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, pether said:

I never played DST, how does it work there? Is it like small cosmetic content for a small price? That would be great, nothing odd with that and I'm sure many players will appreciate it.

I imagine that random cosmetic items would be granted periodically, and you'd have to ability to destroy old items to get a resource you can use to create new ones like DST's spools system, though you can probably still purchase specific ones in a shop. They also might give out items at twitch, or as bonuses for opening the game in holidays, maybe some on the Klei Rewards page? Maybe even some extra ones just for fun, occasionally.

Edited by sylvia wander o
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 1

1 hour ago, JarrettM said:

and even new sim systems are on the horizon too

I hope that includes fire mechanics.

I want to be under constant threat of my entire base combusting and exploding cause a Dupe decided to light a match in a area filled with flammable gas :>

1 hour ago, JarrettM said:

Another long-term goal we’re working on is a cosmetic skins system. Our skins system will be modeled on what’s worked for Don’t Starve Together

I really hope that mean all skins will be able to be obtained for free by just playing the game. (Random drops , daily login , being able to unravel and weave them) like in DST.

2 hours ago, JarrettM said:

It may be a little odd to add cosmetic skins to a single-player game, but we’re hoping this’ll let us keep making free content updates for everybody rather than DLC.

I've played single-player games with cosmetic skins (Mass Effect and Red Dead Redemption, among others).  Those are very different games than ONI, so I'm not sure what you guys have in mind for this game; but I doubt I'm the only one who'd purchase a ladybug sweetle skin (as an example) to continue supporting development for this wonderful game.

• Like 3
  • Big Ups 1

Bigger things like new starting biomes, richer world gen options, and even new sim systems are on the horizon too, but these take longer to develop, so no short-term promises.

I just want to say that while new content is flashier, new world gen options can go a long way towards enriching game play.  Everything from the number of dupes we start with to the exact world traits we want to play against should be on the table here.  Lean as far into it as you can without tanking performance.  And for my two cents, richer world gen options is the perfect opportunity to introduce harsher versions of the game's diseases for those who want to opt in for a more challenging experience.

• Like 2

Our skins system will be modeled on what’s worked for Don’t Starve Together

This is excellent news. Many players, including me, are willing to pay a bit more for cosmetic stuff to see the continuous ingestion of new content into the game.

and improvements to Spaced Out! rocketry. 

That is awesome. Anything also that refresh the gameplay is always welcome. 

• Like 1

Skins is a great idea.   

I posted a suggestion about Point of Interests relocation.  Hope you guys can do something with that idea I gave you.

A Space Station would be nice, just a bigger version of the Rocket Interior module, but in Orbit with some unique features.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JarrettM said:

1587519466457.gif.81b8b1125d8e2a0d52b629fa3d8c8d21.gif

4 hours ago, JarrettM said:

image.png

image.png

Can we get bigger versions for wallpapers? :wilson_love:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JarrettM said:

A few specifics 
Some of the projects we’re working on for the next few updates include:

• Story Traits! The inaugural pair are a gargantuan dream-analyzing machine and a handy critter-mutator. More to come…
  • QoL improvement! E.g. Expanded database and a searchable build menu for the base game, and improvements to Spaced Out! rocketry. 
  • New Room types! We’re thinking: Laboratory, Mission Control Room, better bedrooms… 

No mention of looking over the germ system again (diseases are way too weak right now), proper airlock door, maybe pass-through visco gel tiles, liquid germ cleaning building of any kind, no scafolding either? You could squeeze those in, but I guess that just seals the deal on the idea you are not interested in covering any of that in the near future at all. Mentioned this a while ago and someone on the team may have liked this idea of having material colored buildings, and while it would take a lot of time, would still be a game-changer.

Rooms are cool however, I would also recommend a Workshop room and an improved version, Factory for maybe some extra interior decor or morale bonus working there as such industrial areas are frequently visited by duplicants but because of heavy machinery and automation requirements, end up leaving no space for decor. Also, a Corridor room just for ladders and firepoles or even suit/mask docks as requirement to give duplicants a bit more speed as they walk through them?

5 hours ago, JarrettM said:

That... explains some things, and I'm a little worried. DST has, even if some-what hidden, loot-box system for skins available and it's very much terrible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZombieDupe said:

No mention of looking over the germ system again (diseases are way too weak right now)

There have been AFAIK three dedicated attempts at the germ systems...it oscillated between being too harsh or too easy with zero middle ground and that's the way it's been for the longest time. This is probably the best system that we'll get and have to settle with. :wilson_curious:

7 hours ago, JarrettM said:

Another long-term goal we’re working on is a cosmetic skins system. Our skins system will be modeled on what’s worked for Don’t Starve Together, so anyone who’s ever played DST will feel right at home

Will they be free, or paid/weaveable like in DST?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

Will they be free, or paid/weaveable like in DST?

6 hours ago, sylvia wander o said:

I imagine that random cosmetic items would be granted periodically, and you'd have to ability to destroy old items to get a resource you can use to create new ones like DST's spools system, though you can probably still purchase specific ones in a shop. They also might give out items at twitch, or as bonuses for opening the game in holidays, maybe some on the Klei Rewards page? Maybe even some extra ones just for fun, occasionally.

this post got agreeal from joew

9 hours ago, ZombieDupe said:

No mention of looking over the germ system again (diseases are way too weak right now), proper airlock door, maybe pass-through visco gel tiles, liquid germ cleaning building of any kind, no scafolding either?

I second this so much, even though I'm excited for new rooms and rocketry improvements, I would much rather see these get looked at first.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JarrettM said:

Another long-term goal we’re working on is a cosmetic skins system

On that, can we get more artwork for (masterworks) statues, etc. pretty please? It's purely cosmetical but that's one I would spend money for.

15 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

There have been AFAIK three dedicated attempts at the germ systems...it oscillated between being too harsh or too easy with zero middle ground and that's the way it's been for the longest time. This is probably the best system that we'll get and have to settle with. :wilson_curious:

The Diseases Restored mod shows it can be done. Few reasons I can think of it having seemed too harsh are:

1) There were no multiple planetoid starts and Marsh biome was too close to the starting biome and was integral for reed fibre. Now that we have multiple planetoid starts to help with difficulty and challenges, Terra can be made the most bare bones and simple to deal with. Currently, it is not, you would have an easier time dealing with the Swampy asteroid start than this if you put aside the early game mud issues that could cause more floods and lots of polluted oxygen being everywhere causing a minor inconvenience.

2) There were no proper buildings to help with killing off germs from water. Using reservoirs for decontamination makes no sense and is much more finnicky than potentially alternative solutions, if implemented. Now we also have sanishells. Since they are a morph, they should not be expected for new players to be relied upon, but mid to hard difficulty planetoid start types would be perfectly fine as having them the lifeline for cleaning germy liquids. I even mentioned the implementation of a building like this (Liquid Germ Scrubber) in the same post you quoted! The aforementioned Diseases Restored mod also includes a UV cleaner, so having both of these in some form should be more than enough. If they clean only a portion of germs in one cycle-through of the building, having the germ sensor would still be necessary, or putting multiple of the buildings in place, requiring more power at a given time, which is exactly how the UV cleaner works in the mod. Or just simply requiring plastic/glass for either of these building types.

EDIT: on an unrelated note to this post, but related to the previous one I made, high pressure pipes and pumps would also be a great game changer, I'm surprised that's still not been looked into at all.

Edited by ZombieDupe
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, JarrettM said:

I can't wait to hear about what are your ideas for this :-)
 As new rooms as well