Oxygen Not Included October 2022 Roadmap

I feel so incredibly happy to have found this game, it has given me so much joy and love for chemistry electricity and more. 

I've thing I'd want to change is making it possible to hide the "todo list" on the dupes, always get lag spike when I click a dupe xD

We read it all

Then, can you let us know by replying once in a while?  Because at the moment, I'm doubting this tremendously. 
Also, there's this awesome discord community full of dedicated long-term players giving their thoughts and opinions on the game, a gold mine for ideas if you ask me.

On 9/12/2023 at 5:01 PM, RonEmpire said:

RIP Unity.     Is there a new roadmap for ONI after today's UNITY announcement ?

Truth is, if this unity thing does cause issues, Klei could take their assets, detach their code, and work on replacing the things unity added.
Unity gives game devs some convenience, but everything unity offers is just that, convenience.
It sucks that the code has been formatted for unity, it would be quite a task to decouple the code, but if the devs are familiar enough with it, and how it works, they could probably get it fully decoupled in a couple months.  

It also looks like unity has been apologizing and stuff, not sure if that'll make them reconsider their ridiculous decisions, only time will tell.
I'm not entirely sure what black boxes ONI relies on that unity provides.  Probably the graphics engine, which could be replaced easily.
I don't think they use any particular physics engine which unity offers, as oni physics seem to be unique to the game.
So, aside from organization, what else is there?
Some shaders?

• Like 1

Request from a long time amateur.
The game is outstanding, but a clear improvement would be the onboarding.
Getting started is rough, and its difficult to share with friends and colleagues without sitting with them.

Maybe consider a tutorial storymode? Where you need to acheive a simple task, in a stabalised environment, just to assist the novices.
Image a scenario, reusing the animated video assets already produced, where 3 dupes need to:

Dig to a new water source and plumb it to use the bathroom
Generate electricity using coal or timber to power a jukebox
Vent out all the 'natural gas' from the rec room to improve moral

Completing a task would allow you to move onto the next step, or you could continue with the map if you wanted to learn with what you had.

Just a thought. In our work, we've seen a huge boom in the need for better player onboarding through a story device.

Anyway. Love the game, happy to help, keep doing what you do best.

On 11/16/2023 at 8:27 PM, pether said:

Hey @JarrettM the game links this topic on the main page. Are you planning to add some updates to the roadmap, or is it some error?

Agreed, the roadmap is from back in 2022 and we're closing in on 2024, a new or atleast updated roadmap would be nice, even if nothing really changes.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, arvenil said:

please let it be DLC2

fingers crossed

based on their recent approach, I assume Klei will still prefer focusing on free updates for both Vanilla and DLC. I don't expect more content in a form of DLC2 that would make it more difficult to continue support for the game, but maybe we can expect some cosmetic DLCs that would use existing skin system

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

On 12/14/2023 at 8:17 PM, JoeW said:

A new roadmap is being worked on. Right now the focus is on getting things done before a holiday break. But we'll have something for you all shortly after we return. 

Oh thank you so much for the News. If the Roadmap Ends up leaving Unity i would love it too. Sure it be a pain but eh what they did or try is unforgiveable.

We got lots of Elements that are not in. And more or less Sci-Fi stuff that might be able to be added. Maybe Pipe Pressure or Analog Programming would also be an option. Though the Analog Programming is a bit more for those who love Progrogramming Machines IRL like PID Elements.

Edited by Sergadra

Heres a few ideas:

Fire mechanics and wood tiles made from lumber that increase decor- but also allow air through them at a smaller degree than airflow tiles. These wood tiles and other certain structures would also burn when exposed to fire or lit flammable gas and liquid. A co2 generator that produces half or two-thirds the power output of the wood burner (300 watts is wood burner, I believe. So it would be 150 or 200 watts for a co2 generator), and generates a small amount of oxygen as a byproduct. Gasoline and diesel refinement (although I suppose its already in the game as Petroleum) and an advanced late-game way to cool down areas that consumes power and coolant without necessarily using radiant pipes, then outputting a warm or hot liquid as a byproduct. Constantan and electrum creation that you can use for limiting power transfer without necessarily having to use a power transformer. A mid-late game machine that alloys metal together, helping to produce Constantan, Steel and other alloys. Damaged wires can occasionally spark and cause a fire when exposed to a flammable liquid or gas.

8 hours ago, Firecart said:

Heres a few ideas:

Fire mechanics and wood tiles made from lumber that increase decor- but also allow air through them at a smaller degree than airflow tiles. These wood tiles and other certain structures would also burn when exposed to fire or lit flammable gas and liquid. A co2 generator that produces half or two-thirds the power output of the wood burner (300 watts is wood burner, I believe. So it would be 150 or 200 watts for a co2 generator), and generates a small amount of oxygen as a byproduct. Gasoline and diesel refinement (although I suppose its already in the game as Petroleum) and an advanced late-game way to cool down areas that consumes power and coolant without necessarily using radiant pipes, then outputting a warm or hot liquid as a byproduct. Constantan and electrum creation that you can use for limiting power transfer without necessarily having to use a power transformer. A mid-late game machine that alloys metal together, helping to produce Constantan, Steel and other alloys. Damaged wires can occasionally spark and cause a fire when exposed to a flammable liquid or gas.

Check the suggestion thread. It's all there.

On 12/14/2023 at 7:17 PM, JoeW said:

A new roadmap is being worked on. Right now the focus is on getting things done before a holiday break. But we'll have something for you all shortly after we return. 

any updates on this? i am shuffling my feet impatiently.

may it be the official implementation of blue prints menu/library for rooms, please :-) 

Edited by Dariusz.143

On 12/14/2023 at 11:17 AM, JoeW said:

Happy Year!  

And then? 
Bigger things like new starting biomes, richer world gen options, and even new sim systems are on the horizon too, but these take longer to develop, so no short-term promises.

I'm looking forward to see if any of these ideas are still on the docket when the updated roadmap is released.  The story traits are nice (some better than others, in my humble opinion), but new starting biomes, richer world generation options, and new simulation systems could all really shake up the way we play the game.

Edited by goboking
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 8:17 PM, JoeW said:

Hey there, any update on the 2024 roadmap for this fantastic game?

On 1/30/2024 at 2:33 AM, goboking said:

but new starting biomes, richer world generation options, and new simulation systems could all really shake up the way we play the game.

I hope we will hear about this soon.

But the announcement of the new roadmap has already been delayed. This either means they are still discussing and deliberating about it, they disagree on how to move forward, or they are not yet happy with their current ideas.

I am getting the impression this is a bad sign...

3 hours ago, Henlikuoth said:

I hope we will hear about this soon.

But the announcement of the new roadmap has already been delayed. This either means they are still discussing and deliberating about it, they disagree on how to move forward, or they are not yet happy with their current ideas.

I am getting the impression this is a bad sign...

What do you mean delayed? They never said it would be out on a particular day. The last roadmap was released alongside a patch, that’s my expectation for this one as well. My guess is that they are holding the roadmap until the patch is ready to go.

• Like 2