DLC/Update News

• Developer

check-in.png

Hey friends, 

We have some big news…

…we’ve decided to release ongoing updates instead of a DLC2! 

Ever since the Spaced Out! DLC launched in December, we’ve been exploring ideas for the next chapter of Oxygen Not Included. Those conversations started out as discussions about DLC2, but as we kept digging, we realized that a distant DLC2 release just wasn’t the right fit for our long-term goals. 

We want ONI to feel like a true universe: infinite and ever-expanding! 

And most importantly, accessible to our whole community. 

While a second DLC would certainly expand the game, it’d limit our design choices. We’d have to decide which features base game players would have access to—and which ones they’d be left out of. 

The more DLCs there are, the harder it gets for us to implement bug fixes and balance changes that are viable for everyone across all versions of the game. That sounds about as appealing as an all-mushbar buffet. 

We want you all along for the ride! So we’re shifting our focus to building out a lot of the same content and systems you’d expect from a DLC, and releasing them regularly as free game updates that work for both base game and Spaced Out! 

No colony left behind. 

What’s next?
We’re working on a roadmap to let you know what to expect as we explore this exciting new chapter of ONI—we’ll post that here as soon as it’s ready. 

Summary
We’re expanding the ONI universe through ongoing updates rather than a DLC2! These free, regularly scheduled updates will be designed for both the base game and the Spaced Out! DLC. Roadmap coming soon.

Our heartfelt thanks, as ever, to this incredible community! We’re overjoyed to be able to share our little corner of the cosmos with you. 

Ok, that free update sounds gerat and all, but lets address the elephant in the room. DLC would be paid, therefore Klei, as a company, could afford to allocate more resources to it, because they could expect some return on the investment. Klei is not a charity. I feel like this just means less content. I find it hard to believe that the company would allocate as many resources to a free update liek to a paid DLC.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear! Thanks! More content, no pressure to rush next DLC and leave some of it's features unfinished! That's so cool, can't wait to help you playtest new things!

The only thing I'm now worried is if you can sustain long-term free updates. I guess I will need to buy ONI soundtrack next time to support you somehow ;)

This decision doesn't exactly surprise me though it is surprising to see it happen so soon and quite suddenly. It would be impossible to create a comprehensive DLC 2 with the possibility of 2 entirely different rocketry systems at play. Spaced Out star system is DLC-specific, so if you have the base game and DLC 2, which system will you use? Does it depend on whether you have DLC 2 or not?

Don't Starve DLCs 2 and 3 (Shipwrecked and Hamlet) focused on new worlds with specific content, allowing for a completely new experience when starting out. The potential for more isn't endless, but it is much more expandable than the approach RoG took, which was adding onto existing world. With ONI, it would be an even bigger nightmare for SO. Since all the DLCs used the wetness system for example but the base Don't Starve game didn't, the approach you would take here then ideally is keeping the SO space mechanic for all DLC content. That would defeat a huge part of what SO actually covers and has been a focus for however.

There is a way out of this however, which would enable you to keep making DLCs, and I hope you consider it at some point since there will be a time where you probably either have to pull the plug on updating this game or release something that would support it. Merchandise could work though would still be limiting.

If you looked through this thread on what people posted, and what I posted, you'll notice mentions of several new core mechanics, many of which don't really need to interfere with existing stuff really. Most of the mechanics I mentioned could be the core of every DLC. The biomes and starting planetoids would be balanced around such mechanics, radiation, biomes, geysers, POIs and critters being a core example of Spaced Out's specific changes. However integral mechanics like rocketry would have to be kept to a single system more or less. If you add more to the first DLC or rework the system more to include new DLC-specific biomes, critters and so forth, then make the Spaced Out system available for vanilla, but maybe without as many planetoids to land on, you will have a comprehensive and uniform rocketry system for all content to come.

Additionally, making other planetoid starts as the other planetoids you can land on with pseudo-randomization as to what's nearby and further away, depending on which DLC is enabled or not, instead of some weird mush of specific planetoids with strangely tweaked traits, you will have yourself a strong system to expand upon.

From there on out, every DLC could have:

* A new core mechanic with features to accommodate it (such as radiation (already in SO DLC), combustion, chemical reaction, gravitational systems, structural integrity etc)

* New buildings in research tree as well as new POIs, some of which may have to do with the new core mechanic

* New planetoid starts, which would also be seeded into the randomization of nearby planetoids you can travel to (a lot of existing ones would need to be reworked, moved around or removed entirely)

* New critters, plants and biomes (as part of the new planetoids)

This is potentially a minimum of 2 or so new DLCs, if gravity and structural integrity is part of the same DLC, combustion and fire with chemical reactions under a second, you just need to make sure the existing vanilla game and DLC is ready for this. It would take some time, but it's possible. You would also have time and funds to tweak some stuff for existing DLCs and the vanilla game.

4 hours ago, JarrettM said:

The more DLCs there are, the harder it gets for us to implement bug fixe

"Traitors ! You're pulling the rug out from under us."

Signed :

Persistent Bugs Society

member list available on demand

Wonderful news! Several smaller updates along the lines of Fast Friends instead of game-changing (literally) DLC would be nice. I do have questions about the business aspect. Many current game developers abuse their market recognition to squeeze every dollar they can from the consumer base. How does Klei continue ONI development without increased revenue? Are ONI folks being moved on to other projects? Is Klei willing to sacrifice revenue for quality? Are Canadians really just that friendly?

I want to echo concerns about the sustainability of ONI if it’s no longer generating revenue.  I adore this game and want to see it continually updated with new content, but I can’t fathom a business sinking resources into a game that’s no longer making money.

9 hours ago, JarrettM said:

The more DLCs there are, the harder it gets for us to implement bug fixes and balance changes that are viable for everyone across all versions of the game. That sounds about as appealing as an all-mushbar buffet. 

I am so glad to hear there will be a focus on bug fixes. I was planning to stop playing ONI after my current colony because encountering bugs every day is not fun. Reporting on bugs but seeing the focus remain on new content has also been disheartening.

I feel bug fixes will increase the fan base of this game even more, and new players means more copies sold and more revenue. And more involved fans will mean more and perhaps better bug reports.

Like many others here, I am of course looking forward to a lot more content. With over 2050 hours of play I got a lot of fun for the few euros. I even think that the ONI Alpha was significantly cheaper than now. On the other hand, I believe that good work deserves good money. I hope there is a good possibility to support the project financially. As much as the developers enjoy developing new ideas, in the end they also have to be paid.

Gotta admit and I never thought I'd say this but I am a little dissappointed for no DLC2 and the decision to give regular free updates. In my mind this means not as much resource committed to the game going forward that there may have been should there have been a funded product coming out the other end. 

My dream for this game is more content for Spaced Out so why not and I may get shot for saying this but, why not add mini DLC's (dont say micro transactions ppl) that then add to the base game and Spaced Out? Things like enhanced medical, art decor expansion, clothing options etc there are loads you could do that could have a small charge for them that then allow us to contribute to the work done that then adds incentive for Klei to commit real resource into it.

I love this game and would defo rate it highly, would hate to see its development enter the doldrums.

Totally agree, I got so much entertainment out of this game that even 50$ feels like a steal.

Having said that I respect your decision, but at least ramp up on the merch, please (and add a link from the game to your merch store, not everyone is aware).

Or sell us STLs models for 3D printing of dupes, etc. or my very own AETN Home Edition(TM) or to invite (distant) friends for Mush Fry party. Just give us something to help you keeping this game alive :-)

Archived