What Skins/Update Ruined DST's Artstyle?

The way I see it, the game's skins allow the characters to branch out to different styles and types of clothing without being too crazy. Seeing as how skins are optional, you can choose to opt out and use default (Or a preferred set). It also allows the artist to experiment and give their own spin on a character. Not all skins will be to everyone's taste, but it's more than likely that one character will have a skin set that will be someone's favorite.

I hope that Klei will continue to pursue different artstyles and clothing styles when it comes to skins. The way they apply themes to skin sets is really interesting and fun (I really like Swashbuckler Wigfrid).

8 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

I just leave this here.

Details take time from releasing month by month content. As someone who's patient, I'd be lenient on the devs but I wonder if there's a outer force that's making Klei have to hurry with content.5d576e0edf4eb_Arielthoncdiscord.png.53228c98bab766ce8047c212e4242962.png

9 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I wonder if there's a outer force that's making Klei have to hurry with content.

Hmm, not sure. I would say it could be because of their new projects, but that's just my own Ten cents.

I think the Fish Scale-O-Matic looks ugly, maybe it's the stagnant water (that I find it's colored weirdly)? Or maybe it's the format of the bowl? I can't really say what exactly it is, but I really don't like looking at it.

Other than that, I'm fine with everything

4 hours ago, minespatch said:

Details take time from releasing month by month content. As someone who's patient, I'd be lenient on the devs but I wonder if there's a outer force that's making Klei have to hurry with content.5d576e0edf4eb_Arielthoncdiscord.png.53228c98bab766ce8047c212e4242962.png

IMO it was probably cuz it was a Nintendo trailer, and most of the games there ive seen are more light hearted or cartoony.

Literally Wanda herself. Her face doesn't have any details, it is no different that dropping a paint with that bucket icon in paint. She just doesn't fit in, especially the skins oh my god could they suck any more?

Screenshot_20220727-220018_Chrome.jpg

16 minutes ago, douan33 said:

Literally Wanda herself. Her face doesn't have any details, it is no different that dropping a paint with that bucket icon in paint. She just doesn't fit in,

Could you explain more on detail why? She looks like the other characters to me.

7 minutes ago, douan33 said:

Literally Wanda herself. Her face doesn't have any details, it is no different that dropping a paint with that bucket icon in paint. She just doesn't fit in, especially the skins oh my god could they suck any more?

Screenshot_20220727-220018_Chrome.jpg

Wanda's hair has always bothered me a bit, its extremely different from all the other characters, and I do wish she had some sort of red in her pallet like the original cast, but other than that I think she fits in fine.
I personally feel like she's the most DST-fitting character to have come out lately!

I think its a little unfair to be using a screenshot of her unused unfinished concept art instead of her final in-game appearance though.
Additionally I don't really catch what you mean about her face, not a whole lot of characters actually have many other facial details aside from maybe Webber and Wurt or so.
ss_5cfbf1bc38c2194144a34d56d0b0c6f4caf4fbdb.1920x1080.jpg?t=1631204901

DST style is not gone. It changed, probably as some devs around it changed as well.

People wanted things like shipwrecked and hamlet and to some point these new colourful things are like this. To some extend we literally asked for it.

Just I would say some parts are inconsistent, some are underdetailed (rwys plants, yotb beef skins) and some over detailed (new skins for items), but saying whole style is gone and sucks is just too far. Just check chinese part of workshop, how they insert real not fiiting stuff into game. (yep some people complains sounds like klei devs did that, not just simplified few lines, on something that anyway had simplified look).

Klei devs are doing great work, not perfect, sometimes they leave few loose screws, but because of that I am not gonna call it "bad".

This thread feels very biased.. I’m not trying to sound rude or anything but, there are some goofy looking skins (fairytale collection) and then there are the skins that look like they were ripped right out of the original darker/creepy vibe of the original Dont Starve, such as the Gothic Collection, or that Walrus thing skin I have for Chester, the pink maid feather duster (clean sweeper) now has a skin that resembles a Harry Potter nimbus broom.

You can’t just say DST has lost its art/direction because that simply isn’t true.

Rockjaw sharks don’t look cutesy and friendly, they look menacing and quite terrifying..

Sure you can compare Klei’s trailers to older trailers and say there’s an art style/direction change and duhh obviously: I mean they’re having to pump those out like once a month.. I’m surprised that they don’t just do stick figure animations for monthly cinematic's!

Klei devs bust their butts and pour their hearts and souls into their games, and yeah okay maybe some forgettable animated trailer has a new art direction, but you can’t say that about actual gameplay- 

You can put together some truly dark looking outfits and skin collections- OR you can “Fairytale Fantasy” your worlds with ugly unfitting skins.

If a skin bothers you however, don’t buy, weave, craft or use it and problem solved??

And if someone else using a skin bothers you.. that’s a bigger problem: maybe you should play alone?

If Klei gave me skins for Vargling to become a Horror Pup, or for Giblet to be Lunar Pengul I would use those skins and I wouldn’t apologize to ANYONE those skins may offend.. I already have a creepy floating Eyeball as a pet…

If skins offend you maybe play solo DS, or find a mod that lets you filter them on/off?

Eitherway.. I can say with certainty that skins can make your world look silly, or creepier or somewhere in between- it all depends on what kind of skins you want to buy and use.

On 7/27/2022 at 10:15 PM, -Variant said:

I think its a little unfair to be using a screenshot of her unused unfinished concept art instead of her final in-game appearance though.

I did that for the dramatic effect.

If we're actually staying on topic and talking about the skins in game, not the animation for the switch trailer, I have no problems with any of them because they are all optional. If you hate how, say, hockey stick skin for spear looks, don't craft it and don't use it. I love using all my terraria themed item skins even though they make no sense, like the rod of discord being pink although the materials aren't. It is a game after all, and those are meant to be FUN. So use whatever you want. Who cares how it looks if its your world?

On 7/27/2022 at 12:22 AM, Duck986 said:

unknown-2.png

This is a super unfair comparison. The first picture is from an A New Reign trailer, of which there were like, 4 total over a year, while the second picture is from the 28th animated trailer we've gotten since reworks started in 2019. Of course one is going to be simpler when they're pumping out so many lately, it's not a sign that the game's art style is being babied down.

On 7/27/2022 at 12:22 AM, Duck986 said:

I just leave this here.

unknown-2.png

These aren't even the same mob. One is specifically Ancient Fuelweaver and the other is the regular Reanimated Skeleton, makes sense why the fully powered up one is drawn more menacingly.

On 8/1/2022 at 2:16 AM, SirToastyToes said:

These aren't even the same mob. One is specifically Ancient Fuelweaver and the other is the regular Reanimated Skeleton, makes sense why the fully powered up one is drawn more menacingly.

Spoiler

two different flowers of different levels of menace from the same trailer

sona.thumb.jpg.076e96de83a6ca7f6303fcd0fccccb85.jpgkara.thumb.jpg.6d81efd908ceaa0ed9509ce3f794125b.jpg

The first one is just as detailed as the second one, duh

Spoiler

Webber from two different trailers

web.thumb.jpg.4da964807a50912fcd857456e5032522.jpgwib.thumb.jpg.b4145b21d1856e897f5ae36ce144a89c.jpg

Spoiler

switch trailer be like:

baha.thumb.jpg.ad23fa436424673689bbd670c6efe347.jpg

Honestly, the biggest problem with the art is inconsistency, just look at this:

fdsbgvz.thumb.jpg.e5d52858d1ec0106a12de72237034b4f.jpg

2 has shine, an inconsistent white outline and generally looks less rough, in contrast to everything else in the shot, but especially 1.

I like the art for the terraria crossover, but it doesn't blend in with the rest of the game.

When fk came out, I saw a lot of people saying it looked like a mod, gotta be it. Someone complained about twiggy trees though, which are quite a bit older.

Archived