Forgotten Lore

On 5/19/2022 at 6:59 PM, -Variant said:

Surprise, surprise, I dug this up eons ago. It was this thing! (It's colored because its unfinished. Ancient Herald did the same thing before he was finished.)
Abigfeesh.gif.f5196db8db008dc08debb46e7512e908.gif

Willow size ref.
unknown.png

So much cool content didnt make it to the game... First, shadow hands on edge of the sea, now this??? Why Klei scrap these things??? Imagine  having this leviathan not as boss,  but rather as sentinel of worlds egde... If you came too close, well, you will be in Pinocchio fathers shoes 

On 5/23/2022 at 1:18 PM, Cassielu said:

Oh, does anyone remember that eye at the top of Florid postern? The eye existed when it was still the Jury-rigged portal, and at that time it had a shadow hand. It occupies a key position in bridging the DS and DST lore, but until now we haven't heard anything about it.

That eye may have been used by Charlie to observe the survivors and control the Florid Postern

On 5/23/2022 at 4:44 AM, Dragonboooorn said:

Why Klei scrap these things???

Game Design is a lengthy process and there's so much that happens behind the stage that most people don't see in the process of things being developed. There's reasons why Klei(and other game companies) scrap things even if the thing in question seems like it woulda been really cool, Klei likely played around with the idea with themselves, tested, drew concepts, had lengthy conversations about how it might have played out in practice etc etc. It's not like Klei just scraps things because they're evil and they want to give us less content, haha. Nah! They care about our gameplay experience and they only wanna give us what they think actually works in practice. Sometimes the place they were concepted for just don't work there, but they might work in a future update! (See The Grass Gator being added in the Waterlogged update)

On 5/18/2022 at 2:39 PM, jan Mele said:

Merms were described as unintelligent by Maxwell, and the gorge event showe they were other animals that degenerated because of a curse, but apparently a merm child is the one that can read Wickerbottom's books.

Merm conlang when.

Cus references go brr

Merms are stated to have been around longer than other species on the constant likely even before the gnaw who may have used them as a reference point for it's curse.

Maxwell's been around the constant for a long time but there's still plenty he's been unaware of despite what Maxwell says merms seem to have a fairly good understanding of the constant based on Wurt's quotes that don't seem to be influenced by the survivors they seem to mainly be unmotivated rather than extremely stupid and the king gives them their motivation with their dialogue evolving slightly with a king and even the king himself learning to speak the survivor's language. Basically merms seem to have a high capacity to learn with proper motivation.

1 hour ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Damn fr Wanda met god and Abraham

canonically she could've stopped the salt statue thing from ever happening yet she never did. Maybe wanda is the biggest villain of dst

1 hour ago, Hornete said:

Game Design is a lengthy process and there's so much that happens behind the stage that most people don't see in the process of things being developed. There's reasons why Klei(and other game companies) scrap things even if the thing in question seems like it woulda been really cool, Klei likely played around with the idea with themselves, tested, drew concepts, had lengthy conversations about how it might have played out in practice etc etc. It's not like Klei just scraps things because they're evil and they want to give us less content, haha. Nah! They care about our gameplay experience and they only wanna give us what they think actually works in practice. Sometimes the place they were concepted for just don't work there, but they might work in a future update! (See The Grass Gator being added in the Waterlogged update)

See: Hamlet cut content.

Seriously, there's enough Hamlet cut content to make another DLC

9 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

See: Hamlet cut content.

Seriously, there's enough Hamlet cut content to make another DLC

People like to point out Hamlet as an outlier for a bunch of cut content, but really, I think every DLC/Expansion in DS/T has had around the same amount of cut content as Hamlet. The thing with Hamlet though are it's files are quite unorganized, so a lot more stuff slipped through than in the development of other DLC's/Expansions. Hell a good chunk of the cut "hamlet" content isn't even hamlet stuff, it's SW! Hamlet started being made as another version of SW where the devs were just messing around and having fun and that's why you see a lot of SW cut content in there too.

9 hours ago, Hornete said:

People like to point out Hamlet as an outlier for a bunch of cut content, but really, I think every DLC/Expansion in DS/T has had around the same amount of cut content as Hamlet. The thing with Hamlet though are it's files are quite unorganized, so a lot more stuff slipped through than in the development of other DLC's/Expansions. Hell a good chunk of the cut "hamlet" content isn't even hamlet stuff, it's SW! Hamlet started being made as another version of SW where the devs were just messing around and having fun and that's why you see a lot of SW cut content in there too.

The folds on your brain are like aisles in a Don't Starve library.

On 5/19/2022 at 7:59 PM, -Variant said:

Surprise, surprise, I dug this up eons ago. It was this thing! (It's colored because its unfinished. Ancient Herald did the same thing before he was finished.)
Abigfeesh.gif.f5196db8db008dc08debb46e7512e908.gif

Willow size ref.
unknown.png

WHAT THE HECK that'd be so cool to see something this huge and terrifying swimming around with a big shadow under water. Man, honestly I feel like you see the sharks the monkeys and at night the water changes color and gets darker and THAT thing is there. That's a monkaS moment there.

On 5/19/2022 at 9:19 AM, jan Mele said:

My least favourite refresh , for various reasons. This is one of them.

wtfrick wes has like, the best short tho

also if anything i  just wanna better understand the relationship between the hamlet ppigs and the normal pigs. is the pig king wilba's father?????? it's a bit ambiguous cuz you have the queen in hamlet and the king in normal ds but wilba just calls him a trader king

PLEASE finish the stories from the Gorge to whatever it is now Klei, it's like they don't listen to us beg for lose stories to be finished up enough to move onto the next story or ignore when we ask for less happy themes as the game is still categorized as a "horror game", it doesn't have to be scary like the screacher mod I just want it vaguely dark with a sense of mystery to it. 

How did Warly ever get from shipwrecked to the Gorge?

"A ship has dashed upon the shores of the island and our survivors have recovered a new member to add to their team; Warly!"

I like to think a bunch of seafaring pigmen picked him up in their ship but dropped him off because he ran out of ingredients, I bet Wilba would be the captain. GET OFF YON SHIP! Fun place to speculate, but I don't think Klei is gonna give a clear cut visual on how Warly got to the forest.

On 6/22/2022 at 10:28 PM, minespatch said:

Yeah, I want to see where the goats went.

Maybe Mumsy was just lying, no? She and Billy might've changed their minds not wanting to leave the rest of town without their help, leaving would be kinda screwed up. Perhaps the furthest in the timeline the game has shown us so far is the end of the gorge, and not all this moon stuff.

To be able to hear Warly's story from being in the gorge would be VERY cool.

On 6/21/2022 at 5:58 PM, CactusCompanion said:

wtfrick wes has like, the best short tho

also if anything i  just wanna better understand the relationship between the hamlet ppigs and the normal pigs. is the pig king wilba's father?????? it's a bit ambiguous cuz you have the queen in hamlet and the king in normal ds but wilba just calls him a trader king

I'm really curious about the werepig curse, and it's relationship to monster meat and the moon. In the Bible, there are demons that beg Jesus to send them into a herd of pigs rather than simply getting rid of them. Maybe that could say something about the pigs?

(for the record JEsus does end up sending them into the pigs)

On 5/18/2022 at 1:39 PM, jan Mele said:

Merms were described as unintelligent by Maxwell, and the gorge event showe they were other animals that degenerated because of a curse, but apparently a merm child is the one that can read Wickerbottom's books.

Merm conlang when.

Cus references go brr

I think merms are their own species and not all just beings turned into merms, I think Wonkey does a good job of adding to the sentiment

"The demons beg Jesus not to send them away, but instead to send them into the pigs on a nearby hillside, which he does. The herd, about two thousand in number, rush down the steep bank into the sea and are drowned."

On 5/18/2022 at 8:09 PM, lakhnish said:

During the gorge, Mumsy says another survivor passed through their dimension before. I think we'll never know who that was.

I think it is well possible that it was battle master Pugna. It was confirmed somewhere by Klei that he came from the same world as the other survivors, so he most likely was a human who underwent some form of transformation, nothing unusual around the Constant. I don't remember there being a rule established that you can only visit the realms in a certain row, so he might have passed through the Gorge and settled in the Forge. He is a good candidate to make it on his own because he knows sh*t.

On 5/19/2022 at 5:15 AM, GetNerfedOn said:

- maxwell red bird quote implicating the fire lands

- woodie lore

-  how do shipwrecked and hamlet connect to the constant as a whole? 

- despite their return we stull cannot fully comprehend Them

- the archives sealed portal and the rest of the decorations which provide no current lore significance despite them ostensibly being a massive lore dump

Well hamlet is high up, it's above the clouds, that's all we know lmao, but shipwrecked?? There's no real place where it could happen in the Constant that is obvious as in visible or even implied

21 hours ago, Lizardhiney said:

How did Warly ever get from shipwrecked to the Gorge?

I like to think a bunch of seafaring pigmen picked him up in their ship but dropped him off because he ran out of ingredients, I bet Wilba would be the captain. GET OFF YON SHIP! Fun place to speculate, but I don't think Klei is gonna give a clear cut visual on how Warly got to the forest.

He demanded to be let off because they kept eating raw ingredients instead of his dishes.

6 hours ago, Bumber64 said:

He demanded to be let off because they kept eating raw ingredients instead of his dishes.

Hope this becomes canon

Hey so maybe Webber and Wilson are related, huhhh??? 
Webber's dad is obviously WX78's old inhabitant (I mean, suppose he changed in appearance since the short) and Wigfrid is his mom. Family tree:
Wx78-Wigfrid
Wilson-Webber

Like, it's wacky but Webber's dad apparently had an alchemy engine, and Wilson would probably've been the only survivor to make one of those, hence adventure mode, no?

41 minutes ago, Lizardhiney said:

Hope this becomes canon

Hey so maybe Webber and Wilson are related, huhhh??? 
Webber's dad is obviously WX78's old inhabitant (I mean, suppose he changed in appearance since the short) and Wigfrid is his mom. Family tree:
Wx78-Wigfrid
Wilson-Webber

Like, it's wacky but Webber's dad apparently had an alchemy engine, and Wilson would probably've been the only survivor to make one of those, hence adventure mode, no?

Webber's dad is not actually the scientist who became WX, there's a huge timeline difference between the two shorts, and their appearances don't match at all!
Additionally Wagstaff is way younger, you can see it in his hair color, compared to when he gave Webber's father the spider sample.

Where did you get the Wigfrid stuff from though, I'm curious. Both seemed to live very different lifestyles judging by their households. 

Archived