Soooo... What is the point of Webber if Wurt is so much superior?

Heres the thing: Its really okay to have characters with similar perks cuz in that way people can pick the one they love more than just pick the one who fits their style. 

The reason why u love more one than other is personal. And the fact webber is way more friendly due the easier diet and easier army opens the idea for begginers much more than her. 

It has no need to all characters be in the same place as usefull, cuz the way u put usefull can change from anothers. Webber can be fun. If u struggle with silk, there you go. Be happy, is that simple.

Wurt did recently got buffed, so Wurt's only real downside is her diet

Reeds can now regrow on marsh turf

crafting turf gives 4 instead of 1

can't be disarmed at all 

can now get gold/reeds from Merm king

frogs are neutral (frog rain no issue now)

Their only real similarity is being a minion/follower based character. They're different flavors of that archetype completely

Wurt's minions are 'better' (on paper at least) because they're supposed to be a more advanced- they're citizens to her, they're soldiers and workers and the are members of a society you build and increase the population of. Because they are (at least narratively, not so much gameplay wise) her equals, she can have them work for her to supplement that expansion. 

Webber, in contrast, is meant to be like... a pied piper. Spiders are the level 1 basic enemy that they get to control in massive numbers. They're supposed to be weak. The whole idea is too take the DST version of ants and overwhelm things with their sheer numbers and newfound coordination. Classic "power in numbers" type design.

Some things Webber players might not know: You can shave a Spider Nest with a Razor for Silk to downgrade its tier level.. you can also UPGRADE a Spider Dens tier level by applying silk to it.

Why would you want to Upgrade them? Better spiders.. and free Sleeping accommodations, oh and uhh oh yeah- Spider Queen spawns.. those are awesome (if your Webber)

Wurt and Webber aren’t even close to each other.. people just like to draw the nearest comparisons they can find.

26 minutes ago, Mantispidae said:

Wurt's minions are 'better' (on paper at least) because they're supposed to be a more advanced- they're citizens to her, they're soldiers and workers and the are members of a society you build and increase the population of. Because they are (at least narratively, not so much gameplay wise) her equals, she can have them work for her to supplement that expansion.

It actually translates better than you'd think her ability to use tools and construction knowledge come from her open minded nature willingness to learn from both the survivors and the knowledge machines and her ability to influence the merms comes from her status as a merm guard despite still being young which is also shown in subtle ways gameplay wise.(at least in my mind) 

I've been playing around with Webber for 120 days now. He's got some strengths, but quite a few downsides as well.

Pros:

- His beard. Actually helps quite a bit in winter.

- With just a birdcage and a ton of monster meat, which is super easy to farm, you can make bacon and eggs. Granted half the time you get monster lasagna, but you can still eat those for hunger, or feed them to the bird for more eggs to retry. So with just a single food source, which he has in abundance, he can make always make a very powerful food recipe.

- You can solo Bee Queen without Ruins gear. Just need a ton of Beekeeper hats (silk), spider nests, and honey to make enough nurse spiders.

- Tier 3 nests double as a tent that restores health and sanity. coupled with the ability to make top hats for sanity, endless spider glands for healing and endless bacon and eggs, his sustainability is very high regardless of his environment.

- Setting up a honey farm is so simple because silk -> bug nets > bees and butterflies, and it gives you access to a perfect crock pot filler to go along with your monster meat. Unlocking taffy is nice too for instantly replenishing sanity. Honey also lasts forever, and you can use drying racks with your monster meat, and then turn them into eggs, and then into bacon and eggs. So spoilage is effectively a non-issue.

Cons: 

- Can't reliably use spiders to farm pigs for their loot. From my experience you got to wait until a full moon and solo the werepigs if you're after Ham Bat materials, or if you want use them as a Manure farm. You can get large meat from Bunny farming though, just need to be fast. Soloing Koalefants also works.

- Same goes for anything that drops meat. Beefalos, Frogs, Koalefant, Pengulls. It's somewhat frustrating that there are many creatures you'd love to send your army of spiders on, but their indiscriminate feeding behaviour disincentivizes you from doing so.

- A few bosses just stomp the spiders. Deerclops, Bearger, Ancient Guardian, Klaus, Toadstool. But at the same time, they do surprisingly well against tough bosses like Bee Queen, Dragonfly and Crab King. Just a little annoying that you can't cheese Deerclops and Bearger.

- Spider Queens can't be summoned at will, nor can they be controlled. I might be asking for too much here, but being able to use a Queen in combat would be quite epic. Right now you can plant nests in preparation for a boss fight and hope that they all spawn at the same time, but they'll despawn after a day and a half so it's unreliable.

- The spider sounds will drive you crazy after a while.

14 minutes ago, EighteenXVIII said:

Can't reliably use spiders to farm pigs for their loot.

(X) Doubt.

It's more or less the same approach as a spider war. A few Nurse Spiders will typically outheal any damage the pigs can do, so all you need to worry about is picking up the drops. (Also, I haven't tried, but maybe Shattered Spiders would work better cause of their AoE?)

15 minutes ago, EighteenXVIII said:

Same goes for anything that drops meat. Beefalos, Frogs, Koalefant, Pengulls. It's somewhat frustrating that there are many creatures you'd love to send your army of spiders on, but their indiscriminate feeding behaviour disincentivizes you from doing so.

Do you have some time to talk about our lord and savior, the Spider Whistle?

Also, one thing that I didn't see being mentioned because I can't be bothered to read the whole thread is that Webber's spiders can be taken in and out of the caves. And with how much faster the loading times are these days, it's fairly trivial to transport a sizeable horde up and down the stairs.

Plus, spiders are freaking everywhere. There's spiders in the forest, spiders in the caves, spiders on the lunar island, even spiders on the sea. 

Picking up some of the meat drops is doable. But when you're killing 10 pigs, and they all run in different directions, and only two of them drop a pig skin, and your spiders ends up eating one (or both) because you can't get there in time, it really sucks. The more you scale up the farm, the more meats you don't get to pick up.

The Spider Whistle and Shoo Box don't work well enough for me. Certainly not to save drops. A) you need to see the drops under dozens of spiders B) use it when it has a slow casting animation before the drop gets eaten C) deal with spiders dropping aggro on whoever they're targeting. You can't deaggro spiders that you hit accidentally, which Crtl + F still does against non-friendly spiders. If you do this once in a long boss fight, you get to rollback the server because they'll never target the boss again and instead murder each other until they're all dead, or perpetually fight each other forever if you have nurses. So honestly those items need some work.

Spiders won't follow you into caves. Which kinda sucks and is quite an inconvenience. You can pick some of them up and release them after, as far as your inventory allows it. Or what I prefer to do is to simply build nests inside the cave, and recruit them at that point instead.

2 hours ago, EighteenXVIII said:

Spiders won't follow you into caves. Which kinda sucks and is quite an inconvenience. You can pick some of them up and release them after, as far as your inventory allows it. Or what I prefer to do is to simply build nests inside the cave, and recruit them at that point instead.

Sometimes I craft a couple of backpacks and leave them next to the cave entrance I use more often. So I just get the spiders to the backpacks (regular backpacks, they are dirt cheap) and move them up and down just moving the backpacks. Takes a couple of loading trips, sadly.

This becomes easier once bundling wraps become available though.

Webber still has the upper hand here, he has options and most are free or super cheap. Merms are super rare/non existent in the caves and force you to build a whole set up before you can use them

2 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

Do you have some time to talk about our lord and savior, the Spider Whistle?

I too always lose a considerable part of the loot before the whistle takes effect. The casting delay is usually enough for a big army to vacuum most meat on the ground.

Webber: Silk farming + Fighting (slower at log/living log farming + no pig, bunny, catcoon friends)

Wurt: Practically everything (can't eat meat + no pig friends)

Webber vs Wurt: debate over

49 minutes ago, JJ0264 said:

Webber: Silk farming + Fighting (slower at log/living log farming + no pig, bunny, catcoon friends)

With as little as two nurse spiders I can massively heal an army of spiders and myself- Wurt to the best of my knowledge has no minion that heals her entire Army.

The two characters are unique, just because they share a followers type of playstyle doesn’t make them anywhere near on the same level.

I for one would love to see more follower based playstyles for other mobs- as long as they each can offer up a unique enough experience from the others- and I feel like Wurt & Webber do this exceptionally well.

On 5/1/2022 at 9:13 AM, Theukon-dos said:

Playing Webber means you don't have to play the worst designed character in the game

Normally your comments and posts are pretty good, but this is not one of them. Do you have an actual argument? Or is it just appeal to ridicule? I would love to know!

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

With as little as two nurse spiders I can massively heal an army of spiders and myself- Wurt to the best of my knowledge has no minion that heals her entire Army.

The two characters are unique, just because they share a followers type of playstyle doesn’t make them anywhere near on the same level.

I for one would love to see more follower based playstyles for other mobs- as long as they each can offer up a unique enough experience from the others- and I feel like Wurt & Webber do this exceptionally well.

1. But isn't this topic about Wurt vs Webber (i.e. who's objectively better), Wurt doesn't have heals but her minions are massively auto farmable (merms + bats - merms + bunnies - merms + spiders)

2. I have a idea of a "cat-coon lady" follower character although her abilities would be difficult since Webber (follower-fighter) and Wurt (follow-builder)  

2 hours ago, JJ0264 said:

The debate was really raging on this thread with the latest post on May 3rd before you shut everyone down with YouTube videos. 

4 hours ago, Cheggf said:

The debate was really raging on this thread with the latest post on May 3rd before you shut everyone down with YouTube videos. 

You are misunderstood we were all itching with anticipation waiting for someone to post a video and finally end this raging debate

Webber rushes df and bq faster than Wurt because his minions are much easier to unlock whereas merm warriors require one massive resource and time investment (lunar rush mandatory as kelp is needed for setting up king and for merm upkeep + the absurdly high cost of every individual warrior hut).

Heck Wurt doesn't even have a significant advantage over Webber when it comes to farming resources in the late game as Bearger and gunpowder exist.

So at the end of the day it boils down to : would you rather be trading fish with king for kelp/seeds/tenta spots while merms kill each other or doing spider civil wars ?

7 minutes ago, Waynel said:

Webber rushes df and bq faster than Wurt

Yeah that's the thing, rushes.For next fights you need to get all spiders again, after Wurt gets enough merms you can literally kill each of these right after they respawn, aka farming them, making Wurt havIng no need of healing (jellybeans) and Bee Queen crowns (and dfly's loot), big difference between Webber and Wurt is that in already mid game you can just take your merms and go kill things you want to kill without wasting much resources 

Archived