strats for weird places to base?

me and my friends have been basing on pearls island a lot lately. no real benefit other than finishing her quest faster, but i do find it really fun managing the space on the island and being forced to use boats often and such. 

anyone got any other suggestions for weird places to base that make you have to play different? right now im thinking about the archives, lunar island, and the ruins, but im interested in how they play out and any tips on how to make them actually work. 

really hope klei adds more funky places you can base in, makes the game surprisingly fun and fresh for someone with way too many hours on the game. 

Atrium!

Atrium is actually a fascinating area to base in, since the Gateway when it has a key socketed prevents depth worms waves and earthquakes from occurring. The key does pop out by itself when the gateway is unloaded, so you need a person by the gate at all times to keep the key inside. It's still a fascinating idea though, I'm trying to base in the atrium as Wanda though I am lacking in creative ability to build a nice base haha.

3 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Atrium!

Atrium is actually a fascinating area to base in, since the Gateway when it has a key socketed prevents depth worms waves and earthquakes from occurring. The key does pop out by itself when the gateway is unloaded, so you need a person by the gate at all times to keep the key inside. It's still a fascinating idea though, I'm trying to base in the atrium as Wanda though I am lacking in creative ability to build a nice base haha.

how do you kill the tentacle everytime to get in? im guessing you keep lobstermen lying around? 

3 minutes ago, prezera said:

how do you kill the tentacle everytime to get in? im guessing you keep lobstermen lying around? 

Well, their playing Wanda, and thus the backtrack watches allow them to teleport in there and out about once per day. They also have the lazy deserter if they play with other people.

Archives sound nice. You can get blue mushrooms instead of pirogies, also dark swords are easier to get cus of gnomes. You can get grass and twigs with the batmole things, but it's easier to bring grass tufts with you. + Earthquake immunity.

You know what? **** it, base on boats! (I'd recommend to do so near sunken forest, cus grass and twigs and food)

Maybe even at the edge of the world.

i did once base in mosaic for the hecc of it on Greedy_Gabriel's server.

The trick is just finding a large enough area safely out of the meteor field's range, and importing literally everything you will need as a.) mosaic is devoid of resources save for rocks, which b.) will be taken by everyone else anyway; plus, c.) basing near the graveyard will mess you up every 20 days.

granted, Gabriel did provide me with the stuff i needed freely (as i farmed him tons of veggies wHICH HE DIDN'T EAT BECAUSE HE PREFERRED STONEFRUIT-) but it was still relatively more challenging than living in your optimal basing location.

I still have to attempt the real challenge though and basing *in* meteor field's range itself.

2 hours ago, prezera said:

You can: 1) use 4x Gun Powder; 2) 15x Slurtle Slime (simplest way to obtain it: as Walter, feed Poop Pellets to snails - one gets plenty Poop from Splumonkeys); 3) employ 2x Abyss Gates at closest point to Atrium from mainland (using Wanda teleportation network to me, frankly, feels way more cheaty than this "ancient" bug/exploit).

As for very weird/"unorthodox" places to base, can try a Caves' Rocky Plains camp with Bee Boxes as main food source (in complete darkness via Evil Flowers plus Fireflies/Mushroom Lights to get Bees out of nests) for example - model in spoiler below.

Spoiler

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Granted, was only-but a test world, yet I plan for such a run on some random Endless pub in future, is very feasible.

Certainly, given enough good planning, materials, and time, one can base anywhere: in Lunar Archipelago, on Pearl's Island, in a Waterlogged biome, at open Sea, Ruins, Labyrinth's entrance, even in AG's peninsula, Archives (in a safe area without Sentrypedes close), or - as seen above - Atrium (main room or the maze area). Find a place you fancy and "terraform" it according to your needs. But do watch out for Meteor Fields and their outermost limit.

1 hour ago, prezera said:

hutch helps a lot with non wormwood, wendy, wanda characters

1 hour ago, Guille6785 said:

flex on all the pig king bases by basing at crab king

epic 24/7 music plus rockturds for barnacles: 10/10

Haha. This is my thread. I've based everywhere. Mosaic inside the meteor fields (1/5 stars btw, the fan didn't work). Based in the village biome (preferred the meteor fields) and even based in between the lava pools. What was the point of this madness? You may be asking. I was lazy. Except the monkey one that was the worst challenge I've attempted, only did it for 35 days before it drove me bananas. One could say that I, am quite literally based.

Spoiler

If you are wondering, I only have screenshots of my mosaic base but it isn't uploaded to Xbox live. The mosaic base I used woodie to repair things very quickly. The monkey base was using Wanda and I want to talk about the monkey base a bit more. The monkey base was brutal, you can't drop anything off and you can't store food and that was quite an experience, a regrettable experience. The dragonfly spawner base was with willow and it lasted the longest. It was alright but it was actually the easiest challenge base out of all the others. I recommend meteor fields basing, makes you build what you need and get maximum usage out of it. Do the monkey one if you want to live in a society.

Oh sorry I forgot the whole point of this thread so I can boast. To base in the meteor fields you have to store everything in Chester, in hindsight, Walter is best for basing in the meteor fields. Build crock pots when you need them, not willy hilly because it can not only get destroyed but the resources can also get destroyed. Again very dangerous base it will feel like plugging holes on a constantly leaking boat.

Lava pool base, just be willow and when basing build a ice flingo. Otherwise proceed as normal. Oh and use all the scales for scaled chests.

Monkey base. Best tip, don't. Those monkeys took everything from me, my time, thelucite, they even took the kids. I've lost all those things to tell you. Don't. Just don't. It is a really bad idea.

13 minutes ago, Well-met said:

moon base

you really dislike gestalts after a while

I've been thinking about making a hybrid sea / moon island base, so you can use the moon's land to harvest land resources (grass-twigs-farms-wood-honey-stonefruit) but you can also live near the shore with half of your base on boats around a knobbly tree pier.

I think you get the best of both worlds that way, you can also harvest nightmare fuel should you need to, and you can have a break from gestalts at the "boat" area of the base (or a break from insanity at moon island).

I'd suppose hound waves will get somewhat annoying at some points with the horror hounds (but hound waves always are annoying anyway) and the mutant pengulls spawning over you can also get old eventually, but I'll see how it goes.

28 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I've been thinking about making a hybrid sea / moon island base, so you can use the moon's land to harvest land resources (grass-twigs-farms-wood-honey-stonefruit) but you can also live near the shore with half of your base on boats around a knobbly tree pier.

I think you get the best of both worlds that way, you can also harvest nightmare fuel should you need to, and you can have a break from gestalts at the "boat" area of the base (or a break from insanity at moon island).

I'd suppose hound waves will get somewhat annoying at some points with the horror hounds (but hound waves always are annoying anyway) and the mutant pengulls spawning over you can also get old eventually, but I'll see how it goes.

you can keep your sanity under control with a kelp farm

but it's a stinking place if you do jerky farms like I do because jerky gives a ton of sanity

ice penguins will ram into your walls constantly but dead hounds are no problem, they are weak and give additional meat

...this is all making me realise just WHY all my bases are in such boring places.  : P

Spoiler

willowswinterfell.png.e05500de7f97f7f57d699974c13b75af.png

Very first Don't Starve (not Together!) base picture I ever took.  Looks like it's in a meadow, under the snow.

togetherbase.thumb.png.1e3988df8b59042bda3fbc3f366d1536.png

Savannah (starring Road)  This is my very first Together base I ever took a picture of.

day500.png.916505bd823683334429b8defe915b08.png

Ah, good ol' Camp One-Foot-in-the-Grave.  Another one for the "Worlds Lost By Others" list, but it was lost so long ago its last posts aren't even archived anymore.  Anyway TECHNICALLY we were right by the Dev Graveyard setpiece (hence the name: one foot in the GRAVE), but in terms of biomes, it was savannah/meadow.  : P

starvania.thumb.png.e44c4cf46dfb501fcb39f41558f7ed2a.png

Forest/meadow (this is the original "Starvania")

megarandombase.png.36fe37f2b4b8332a4632564dea5638b0.png

Meadow/savannah (with weird palm and apple trees because mods)

dstcivday204updatedstarvania.png.e3b3ff1941b35dd652f1f611313fca6f.png

Starviana, Take Deux:  Meadow.  In fact, it's technically the Bee Queen's biome, but I cleared out all the hornets before I based here.

091colourfulbase.png.dc66d7705f75417eb5fef1ea4702f041.png

dsthappy2022.thumb.png.7b189db24de2915cdede514ce36ca26f.png

090thechoppintrees.png.f2a3967e43b866de61db107057f84b91.png

My current biggest actually-lived-in base, which has meadow, savannah, and a side bit with forest.

midnightatthesummerlounge.thumb.png.0beee1249991b5c1458554ab23d81018.png

And "The Summer Lounge", a backup base ALMOST good enough to be counted as a real one!  (Savannah in desert.)

imisstheoldfarmingdangit.png.866d7b92fb808df973e2cdd720571a57.png

Savannah.  Noticing a pattern  here.  : P

winonassummervacation.png.48f6e58bce9cd1f3c337c96b99daa0a8.png

lavalandbase.png.01ebe4bec8059d069502d973be55a9a7.png

The "weirdest" places I ever based are a desert (in a desert world, lol) and Willow once plunked herself down on a patch of volcanic rock in "Shipwrecked", but I mean, it was Willow, how could I NOT.

Those pictures probably weren't necessary, but I felt like going through my old bases to find out if my basing-locations are, in fact, as boring as I thought they were.

They are.  : P

...Notorious

9 hours ago, Hornete said:

Atrium!

I have already done that with Wanda, its really fun playing her and basing on so many weird locations and being able to teleport all over the map.

It was on a public server so i wanted to have a spot to put items with a friend where griefers wouldn't reach it, Atrium seemed like best place since usually most players wouldn't ever go there and if there is some random guy putting in the work to kill fuelweaver, he wouldn't be a griefer if he put that much effort.

My small base was not at the gateway but near the big tentacle, so i could kill it and gather light bulbs without requiring additional watch or manage sanity, since the point is to be insane at all times on her.

20 hours ago, prezera said:

me and my friends have been basing on pearls island a lot lately. no real benefit other than finishing her quest faster, but i do find it really fun managing the space on the island and being forced to use boats often and such. 

How do you avoid the bees during spring on Pearl's island?

7 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Base on the boat itself. A boat can have 7 major structures (eg fire pit, alchemy engine), several minor structures (eg mast, pinchin winch), and a ton of containers.

Or make an island made out of boats resting near each other.

That and as long as you are on the boats then there won't be any hounds, it is pretty awesome.

Archived