Oxygen Not Included Roadmap January 2022

• Developer

2022 Roadmap.png

Hey everybody,

It’s been a few weeks since Spaced Out! launched—it’s time to share our roadmap for ONI’s shiny future!

Recap
The DLC’s debut on December 16th marked the end of two busy years spent building and testing new multi-world gameplay, expanded rocketry, new planetoids, nuclear and radiation systems, new critters and lots of other cool stuff. 

And of course, our efforts in the final year were propelled by our incredible Early Access community. Thank you for all of your helpful feedback, bug reports and great ideas! 

So what’s next? 

Roadmap
We’ve got two core projects happening in the first half of the year: tech improvements and a free content update!

After a whirlwind two years, we’re excited to finally have time to dig into the backlog of technical tasks for both Spaced Out! and the base game.

We’ll start by working on highly-requested mod support for WeGame (just launched!) and support for Steam Deck in the coming weeks. 

Then the next several months will be all about: 

• Performance improvements
  • Bug fixes both old and new! 
  • Building out our collection of developer tools
  • Streamlining our workflow behind the scenes

While the programmers concentrate on that, the art team is dreaming up an awesome new content update—free for all players of both the base game and Spaced Out! 

Some of the ideas we’re exploring for this free content pack include quirky new Duplicants, new critter morphs, and fresh decor and recreation buildings, all designed to expand opportunities for expressive gameplay.

We’re aiming to get this out to you just before summer, in time for Klei Fest. 

What about a DLC2?
All we can say for now is that we’re actively investigating possible themes and directions for DLC2. (As soon as we can tell you more about that, we will!) 

Summary
We’re hammering away on tech improvements and a free content update while we regroup and begin concepting ONI’s exciting next chapter. This roadmap will be updated in the summer. 

We read everything you post to the forums–whether it’s praise, constructive feedback or genius new ways to turn bodily fluids into valuable resources–so keep it up! 

It takes a colony to produce ONI. Thanks for being part of ours. 

4 minutes ago, JarrettM said:

Then the next several months will be all about: 

• Performance improvements

yes plz, I (and probably other players too) don't want my fps drop to 15 just because I visited a 2nd planetoid in the Vanilla-type cluster.

3 minutes ago, JarrettM said:

Some of the ideas we’re exploring for this free content pack include quirky new Duplicants, new critter morphs, and fresh decor and recreation buildings, all designed to expand opportunities for expressive gameplay.

Cool! Can't wait! Making our base look unique and crafting story of our own with unique decor and expressive buildings is really really nice and I missed it so far. I am super hyped right now!

I didn't expect to hear anything about DLC2 so soon after DLC1 release. I'm pretty sure you have plenty good ideas to investigate, but in case you missed that one - fire and chemistry is requested quite a lot, introduces new system big enough for the DLC and could focus on the thing that ONI does better than any other game - give a player choice between doing things with building or sim rules

Great stuff, was kinda hoping content updates would bring more Rocket modules for Spaced Out owners along with general base game additions, hope that'll come at some point.

As for the DLC2, I would be fine if it just expanded on current game systems. For example, the skill point system being expanded upon, materials giving various bonuses to the ones they currently give (Cobalt made batteries giving more capacity, and Copper batteries giving off less heat as an example from the top of my head). In any case, I'll certainly be playing it cause I love what you've done with Spaced Out, keep it up.

3 hours ago, JarrettM said:

Performance improvements

Yes please! I been having less than optimal peformance in base game all the way since the big merge happened. Big decline in performance after that update. Been stuck on the rollback for a long time cause that one worked very smooth. (Still don't know why such drastic performance difference between the two updates where it should work fine. Tho while i was not alone in this not everyone experienced this problem even regardless of system specs. Unity is a odd engine.)

This news gives me hope that i will eventually be able to play the main version with similar performance as the official pre merge rollback at some point ^^

5 hours ago, JarrettM said:

While the programmers concentrate on that, the art team is dreaming up an awesome new content update—free for all players of both the base game and Spaced Out! 

Art team dreaming up content? I don't know how I feel about that for this game in particular, I would expect the art department to conceptualize some individual parts of given concepts and let their artistic ideas go through on what has already been established to be made by, say a designer in some sense, not give way to come up with some major mechanics that end up working sub-par, but then again no clue how you work for sure, though it's been evident to me that you don't really have proper designers entirely on board for things. You could also have more better time spent on the art side redesigning the UI, not only is the document format old, but it's strange that you would choose to display some of the things the way like this. That and dark mode or some other color gradient for a better UI display on the pop up menu side instead of mostly just black text on white sheet.

That said, there are enough recreational buildings as is, many of which end up set up in such a fashion that it's kind of a waste of duplicant time and by the time you can give them to duplicants there is nothing left to do in the game from a practical progression standpoint. Improve existing buildings instead, you can make their effects last multiple days from the use of recreational building that takes a long time to use, then we have something to think about and giving duplicants ample time to rest so they can be extra productive and moralled up during the few hours they spend working. But I guess we'll see, I'm hoping the coming critter morphs add something interesting to the game while looking great.

Whoever did the thermodynamics system, let them come up with the technicalities of new mechanical systems for us to work with, heck overhaul some systems so as to make more sense of them. In retrospect, if it wasn't for thermodynamics and maybe the gas and liquid pipe systems as well this game would not have taken off as much as it did. You did something unique and amazing with these integral foundations of the whole game, so keep at it, don't stuff it with fluff, please. And if you really are "reading everything" I hope you take in mind ideas proposed by others as well as this comprehensive list of basically everything that you could possibly add to the game to make it more interesting mentioned by me here when it comes to updating the game as a whole or making a new DLC. In retrospect it would also be cooler to have the solid material rail system involve gears and conveyor belt systems that make more sense rather than functioning like liquid and gas in pipes.

And I hope you revisit the radiation system. It's a bit more imposing now, but the effects of the illness and dealing with the problem doesn't appear to be all too severe in part due to the lingering lack of potency in germ threat system and also because radiation doesn't linger or act more like heat, it just appears and disappears instead of building up and dissipating with options to reflect it away (deleting it).

For a game like this, I'm not entirely sure if it's already multi-threaded, but if it isn't you should really look into that. Some advice also for navigation, I don't think critters need to see all across the map. For duplicants and rovers it matters to complete tasks, but not for critters. If you want to show the player full navigation that a critter could possibly make when clicking the "show navigation" button, have it display the full possible map navigation when the game is paused only, but while running only have a few tiles in radius display where a critter may move to next before deciding a new position unless blocked off mid-movement if you click the show navigation button.

Ive got my gopro and 3 meter long microphone cannon today, Ive de-installed nearly every game...Except ONI and RDR2 !

LONG LONG live the ONi :bee:

If we could have rain in the game, that would be awesome...If the brothers and sisters at Klei make it possible that rain can flood our colonies, that would be great ( + dupe zapping sky lightning ). Sparks, Ignition, Combustion, Explosions and spreading Fires would be superb too, then the tech builders can simulate a MORDOR MOTOR in the game :cheerful:

Thank you dear Papa Klei Smurf :congratulatory: Oh, I just see that @ZombieDupe linked a thread which lists "some" requests, many thanks !

image.png.a09bfdbace48cb91c15f417a2240c507.pngimage.png.470c9b2d27ded45b6eeca513134b8ea9.pngimage.png.3c1b3b1b013e21dadeba490707e7dde8.png

17 minutes ago, babba said:

If we could have rain in the game, that would be awesome...If the brothers and sisters at Klei make it possible that rain can flood our colonies, that would be great.

You CAN make it rain in ONI already, but only around 99C or so because of steam at the top condensing and dripping down. To make it work for other temperatures there would need to be another conditional implemented for temperature changes, which is taking into account that at different pressures the melting and boiling point of solids, liquids and gases changes instead of being pretty much static (or you can vent small amounts of steam at lower temperature because there is a pipe conditional for things not changing state at certain pressures inside them that always gets exploited).

That would be one nightmare of a time of research to do so unless they specifically do this for water only, keeping in mind some of the materials this may not have been researched for at all yet that is in the game. Rain like you think of it in the real world needs very specific conditions to simulate, it just so happens that those specific conditions work in our environment. Not as easy to replicate natural rain in the game when you're stuck on a tiny neutronium-insulated planetoid with gases and liquids deleting themselves the moment they touch space-exposed tiles.

17 minutes ago, babba said:

Sparks, Ignition, Combustion, Explosions and spreading Fires would be superb too, then the tech builders can simulate a MORDOR MOTOR in the game :cheerful:

I love the idea of if a duplicant tries to work on a wire grid that is still online (drawn from or power being generated to the grid) they get electrocuted :D

Gives you a whole another problem to think about when making your wiring grids.

9 minutes ago, babba said:

If we could have rain in the game,

Where would the rain come from?

10 minutes ago, babba said:

Sparks, Ignition, Combustion, Explosions and spreading Fires

I did consider modding this i think it might not even be too hard to add with the lua stuff i have already but it would still need some time. I have planned to polish all the lua stuff and add an ingame cheating console first.

6 hours ago, JarrettM said:

Thanks @ZombieDupe I missed that section!

Anything that this Art Team produces I'm all for, even if they are just cosmetic changes.  I would love variations in corner mouldings, etc even if they don't change gameplay.  You never know, they might draw up a Duplicant riding a radbolt with a hoverboard and we get a really awesome update.

Expressive gameplay? *glows*

Some places having an atmosphere, with "bad" weather and other phenomenons ...Sky clouds, rain, thunderstorms, volcano eruptions, quicksand to sink in, earthquakes which makes things collapse/break/shake - Lightning strikes which zap dupes and overload circuits and such :razz: Some more epic feeling of "danger in nature".

image.thumb.png.a2cfeebec5c73df2def1cf4c0908c202.pngimage.thumb.png.413490b67c2ddf139ae0fe75ecbaba65.pngimage.thumb.png.9ddb1272937338b4d9b9db696f5af2e3.pngimage.thumb.png.c1164317120207ff9d6fb2541b5fcd52.png

6 minutes ago, babba said:

Some places having an atmosphere, with "bad" weather and other phenomenons ...Sky clouds, rain, thunderstorms, volcano eruptions, quicksand to sink in, earthquakes which makes things collapse/break/shake - Lightning strikes which zap dupes and overload circuits and such :razz:

image.thumb.png.a2cfeebec5c73df2def1cf4c0908c202.pngimage.thumb.png.413490b67c2ddf139ae0fe75ecbaba65.pngimage.thumb.png.9ddb1272937338b4d9b9db696f5af2e3.pngimage.thumb.png.c1164317120207ff9d6fb2541b5fcd52.png

Ah so you replace the space with an atmosphere? While it does sound fancy i dont think rain, thunderstorms and lightning have much effect on the actual game play since they are on the surface when dupes mostly dig underground.

BUUUUUT you could write a lua script that does drop water from the sky.

For earthquakes i did some time ago see a mod. I guess volcanos would be more violent than the volcanos we have say with explosions and perhaps bigger? Under quicksand i cannot imagine much, it does sound more like micromanagement than fun.

Have a giant meteor smash 50 tiles through the surface and have the rain, snow, mud and stink following :lol: Some more drama and catastrophe events in the game for those which tick the checkbox in the world generation...

Catastrophes on/off, severity setting 1-10, seldom/likely/often/always. :ghost::anonymous::afro:

Also...Palm Trees !

image.png.a42cb1456ef7c3adc31d5e49a8f0991f.png Baby Palm image.png.53ef65f0d889c6d2b4cff285f510ac3a.png Frightend Palms

image.png.401868310cec7c602440d71e8881577b.png Happy family collective

2 minutes ago, babba said:

Have a giant meteor smash 50 tiles through the surface and have the rain, snow, mud and stink following :lol: Some more drama and catastrophe events in the game for those which tick the checkbox in the world generation...

Catastrophes on/off, severity setting 1-10, seldom/likely/often/always. :ghost::anonymous::afro:

Actually that one might be rather easy to code as a mod depending one how meteors are scripted ( i think they will never cause a crater like this, but you could just spawn 500 meteors over a cycle which target all the same area)

Lets wait a bit for klei to say they want to do something like that if not i might put it in my todo list.

7 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

DLC2: Back to society

we live in a society - JOker

1 hour ago, Rainbowdesign said:

Ah so you replace the space with an atmosphere?

could have the exploration of what the earth was like in lore, and have weather interperies in it due to everything that happened and have atmosphere there

A random idea: Scenarios akin to frostpunk's Winterhome  / Outposts scenarios. Take over a failing base and try to get it fixed. Dupes start highly stressed, and food / power / water etc. are all insufficient and choices need to be made to prioritise distribution.

Perhaps as part of a demonstration, the scenario has a supply rocket en route with necessary supplies, and you have to just hold out, with the rocket demonstrating building rocket interiors, and resupply systems.

Then for whatever reason the resupply rockets become less frequent, and your final goal is to investigate why and start sending resources back, all while achieving self sufficiency - different difficulties could offer guidance on making surplus generating systems and fewer/ no geysers with harder difficulties.

10 hours ago, Unfawkable said:

Great stuff, was kinda hoping content updates would bring more Rocket modules for Spaced Out owners along with general base game additions, hope that'll come at some point.

6 hours ago, ZombieDupe said:

Art team dreaming up content? I don't know how I feel about that for this game in particular

I read that Pack as this: Klei devs will focus on bug and performance fixes and that leaves art team with little work. So for the next Pack, they will do most of the work, prepare dozens and dozens of dozens artwork for new decor items, duplicants and morphs and when this is ready devs will take a little break from bugfixes, implement those decor items (very easy, one day of copy-pasting max). This way we will have nice new content and very needed fixes in the existing code.

I hoped for more rocket modules, airlocks and/or diseases as well, but this way we wouldn't get that many fixes and improvements. Also, more cool art is always cool

Archived