[Game Update] - 480595

33 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

Tweaked the Cookbook crafting recipe to use items that can be placed in the Crockpot

That was not what the masses have been unruly about, the point is the crafting recipe didn't make any sense and it still doesn't, it's just three random ingredients. Why can't it use reeds, the basic resource for papyrus? Most of the book & paper like items in the game require either papyrus, pencil and both. One cannot conjure up a book from three random ingredients, that doesn't make any sense even by the standards of the constant we area used to.

Please Klei, I implore you to revisit the cookbook crafting recipe one last time, it doesn't need two different vegetable ingredients. Keep red cap and morsel but add any amount of REEDS to the crafting recipe please. Can be 6, can be 4, can be 2, can be 1, any would make better sense than the conjuration of a book without science nor magic using three randomly cooked ingredients. Ideally the recipe would use reeds, charcoal and any ingredient of your liking but it'd be fine as long as there are reeds in it.

Isn't the ultimate point of making cookbook not requiring science is to allow new players to see what the cooking tab offers anyway. Thank you for moving the  growth formula starter and compost bin to alchemy engine, it is consistent and more intuitive. But the crafting recipe of the book itself is very nonsensical and begs for a reconsideration. Addition of reeds or charcoal would not upset anyone at all, it'd only make everything more consistent and logical.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Keep red cap and morsel but add any amount of REEDS to the crafting recipe please

Maybe they don't want reeds cause that would mean going to the swamp where the player could potentially die? Or maybe new players won't explore the world enough to find a swamp, hence the easy recipe?

That's the best I can think of for why it's been done this way.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, pepe61 said:

2 glands , 1 monster meat , and 4 silkimage.thumb.png.de734c8acab59c38d1b4c0fc6b7bb1d1.png

Wendy, Webber, Woodie, Wurt and any other character who genuinely knows how to combat spider are laughing at this.

Easy to get stuffs- But the hats durability rate makes deconstruction more valuable choice I guess?

Bone shards are now renewable for solo Wanda players then? (without considering tumbleweeds)

On an unrelated note, I like the idea of every equipment being "deconstructible" regardless of being craftable. So please let us deconstruct the Malbatross Bill, it'd be funny

10 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

Maybe they don't want reeds cause that would mean going to the swamp where the player could potentially die? Or maybe new players won't explore the world enough to find a swamp, hence the easy recipe?

That's the best I can think of for why it's been done this way.

Yea, the only motive that makes sense is that they are trying to make the cookbook more accessible but I have two arguments against that:

1. Cookbook doesn't need to be accessible. It's not as much a helpful craft to new players as it is an achievement log for seasoned players. If the aim is to make a tool for guidance, a mechanism that allows players to access the cookbook data of others, such as my suggestion where players can upgrade their cookbooks into a personalized cookbook for other players to read shall be implemented. If anything, the current state is making it harder for newest players by encouraging them to clutter their inventory with the cookbook ands its ingredients. Adding a few reeds or charcoal to the recipe will not make it insanely more more inaccessible anyway, it's not always the easiest feat to find a mushroom and a morsel. And in any case, even if the recipe required hardest to obtain items like thulecite fragments and lunar moth wings, the change of making it require no science is the bigger change here, it allows new players to display the food tab at all times and points them in a direction where they are encouraged to craft crock pot, garden digamajig and other tools of hunger management.
  2. Even if the point is to make it very accessible with easy to acquire materials, why must the logic be thrown out the window? Lets eliminate reeds due to the dangers in the swamp and charcoal because figuring out how to burn a tree is hard I guess. Why can't the crafting recipe require a few grass and a log- it'd loosely make sense with grass forming the pages and log making the cover. The point is that the crafting recipe is calling for some inorganic materials in it, something that would loosely make sense by the standards set by all the other crafts in the constant. It makes no sense that a scienceless and magicless craft can be conjured into existence with three random organic ingredients, the crafting recipe should be anything that makes a little more sense.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

yeah as said unless they drop fossil I don't see the point of this change, nobody is going to use green gems to get bone shards when you can hammer dead fish. Or silk for that matter but I don't see what a spider hat could drop that would make it worth deconstructing 

• Like 2

Revert cookbook changes. A book that's not made with papyrus goes counter-current with how every other book in the game is crafted.

Breaking consistency just to have an early game book that won't help any new players because they need to cook the proper dishes to fill it out to begin with isn't really helping anybody... Unless you plan to rework the cookbook to suggest some starter recipes, perhaps?
Overall similar thoughts to what SinancoTheBest had to say.

Edited by -Kiyo-
Formatting.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, BeeClops said:

nobody is going to use green gems to get bone shards when you can hammer dead fish.

It really depends honestly. Lategame you get so many green gems which you can use to deconstruct excess armors/helms, and 20 shards per fuelweaver kill at the cost of 2 deconstruction staff uses is actually fairly respectable. I know before the bee queen crown change I would deconstruct all of the wax paper klaus dropped for 4 honeycomb, and that needed 8 uses of them.

Of course though, I still would desire them dropping fossil fragments in addition to the shards, since it just feels odd that they don’t.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, BeeClops said:

but I don't see what a spider hat could drop that would make it worth deconstructing 

personally id do it in a heartbeat if it gave like 20 silk. 4 silk 2 glands 1 MM to me is definitely not enough to warrant a decon staff use. cant even make a single beekeeper hat with that. u can easily get more spider loot than that by using the queen hat to start spider wars/attack T3 hive. 

but for what its worth i really like that more stuff is being made deconstructable i think its a fun mechanic. especially when the decon'ed item gives loot u cant get easily (or renewably). BQ crown is amazing in this regard  

Edited by Ohan
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, BeeClops said:

yeah as said unless they drop fossil I don't see the point of this change, nobody is going to use green gems to get bone shards when you can hammer dead fish. Or silk for that matter but I don't see what a spider hat could drop that would make it worth deconstructing 

Since Keli is throwing logic out the window anyways make it deconstruct into fossil fragments too. 

Actually I have a better idea.

it should deconstruct into one of each spider so Webber can store spiders in a way that doesn’t require the mess bundles create. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I Heart Popcorn said:

I hope not - you get AT MOST 50 bone shards and 30 nightmare fuel from deconstructing the FW drops with a green gem.  This cost doesn't  even factor in the fact you have to kill FW at least twice to fully utilize that decon staff, and unless you are just trying to farm FW drops you also need to clear ruins.   

Not.  Worth.  

I'll happily trade 1.2 green gems for 50 bone shards and 30 nightmare fuel. However, the lack of fossil fragments from these drops is really disappointing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pepe61 said:

2 glands , 1 monster meat , and 4 silkimage.thumb.png.de734c8acab59c38d1b4c0fc6b7bb1d1.png

From bone helm and armor should be 4 fossils at least, about spider queen hat should drop spider eggs ( or random switcherdoodle one of random )  and some beard hairs and silk.

Edited by AleksyPL

I see these updates are going the right way. No one is gonna break the game with a couple more fossils though... If anything make it a 50% chance to get either fossils OR bones but decrease the amount. 20 for 2 pieces is way too much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maxil20 said:

It really depends honestly. Lategame you get so many green gems which you can use to deconstruct excess armors/helms, and 20 shards per fuelweaver kill at the cost of 2 deconstruction staff uses is actually fairly respectable. I know before the bee queen crown change I would deconstruct all of the wax paper klaus dropped for 4 honeycomb, and that needed 8 uses of them.

Of course though, I still would desire them dropping fossil fragments in addition to the shards, since it just feels odd that they don’t.

I really don't see it, maybe it's a problem I have but being through some absurdly late game myself, I still value green gems more than that. I had no problems deconstructing lots of wax paper either, it just made sense since honeycombs we're so limited, and the BQ crown is obviously worth it as well. It's better than nothing as you use many bones for lights and I guess it's faster than fishing, but it's a bit underwhelming 

1 hour ago, Ohan said:

personally id do it in a heartbeat if it gave like 20 silk.

perhaps;

funny how the later you go the more Klaus switches from a way to get boss items early to a way to farm basic materials, like coal, gold, honeycombs and now silk :D 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Cookbook doesn't need to be accessible. It's not as much a helpful craft to new players as it is an achievement log for seasoned players.

How do you figure? If a new player throws a bunch of random crap in a crock pot and comes out with a turkey dinner they're not going to instantly understand why, or even remember that several days ago they successfully made this thing instead of something else/wet goop. Hell I've been playing these games since before single player even had reign of giants and I still sometimes forget how the hell to make a turkey dinner or what not to throw into the damn pot if I want a specific dish and not chili again.

• Like 3