Does the Enlightened Crown Need a Buff?

Does the Enlightened Crown Need a Buff?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Does it need a buff?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • No Idea/Don't Care.

Simple question regarding the Enlightened Crown, the unique drop from the Celestial Champion. Do you truly think it is worth all the effort that it takes to get it? Personally I feel it desperately needs a buff. It's +10 sanity/min aura and infinite light (that can be colored) when above 85% sanity is pretty nice as a casual item to wear on your head, however I think it could definitely be buffed into a true combat item. It's gestalts only attack for an addition 46 damage or so while your sanity is above 85%, and the crown actually lowers your sanity when gestalts are summoned. This doesn't even take into account if you're fighting a mob that has a negative sanity drain or if you're fighting with an item that has a negative sanity drain. I think they either need to lower the sanity gate by a significant amount, like down to 70% or something, or remove the gestalts draining your sanity by 1 sanity per hit. Maybe even both.

im not sure but maybe something that makes it so that you are not even affected by sanitydrain auras at all seems like something that would be good or something like its extra strong against any shadow creature there is as well as it gives you defense against them as well im not sure of thats alredy a thing but gestatls will not attack you if you use it

feels underwhelming and niche. Also for some characters like weeber is nearly useless meanwhile that for already strong (wolfgang, wendy, wigfrid..) is way more effective

i dont really like the idea of having to grind sanity food just to use it for boss fights or mob cleaning, i rather prefer to dont use it. That makes it an improved tam o shatter (i dont like having an item that makes useless others items) and situational miner hat which is underwhelming for being an item behind 2 boss fights (srly, CK loot is just dumb, the altar doesnt do nothing by his own)

I think the main problem is that the crown feels the need to be the main reward for most of the steps taken to get it. Fighting Crab King, the quests, the alters, many of these steps don't have enough reward, so all the pressure is all on the crown to be worth it. If there were some more pieces of loot that were obtainable before getting to the crown, our expectations probably wouldn't be so high up. Whether or not it's good in its own right.... eh, I dunno.

I really like the concept of the Enlightened Crown as the antithesis to the Fuelweaver's drops. Whereas the Bone Armor/Helm provide defensive power and immunity to shadows while constantly draining sanity, the Enlightened Crown provides offensive power and immunity to gestalts while constantly regenerating sanity.

But it's just so, so niche in practice; maybe not in a vacuum, but definitely when you take into account the sheer time and effort it takes to acquire. For one, because its abilities depend on the character's max sanity, its usefulness varies greatly depending on who you are playing. For Wigfrid, the Crown is more or less is 24/7 light and extra damage, while WX-78 can get a whopping 45 hits out of it. But for Wes, 10-11 swings will instantly turn the crown into a glorified tam o shanter, and Webber won't fare much better. And then you have Willow and Maxwell, who literally have to choose between using their actual perks or using the Crown's perks, cause they are mutually exclusive.

Oh, and there's a considerable delay between the player swinging their weapon and the Gestalt follow-up attack, which makes the Crown rather impractical against any enemy that can move at a reasonable pace, as the Gestalts tend to miss and you are ultimately better off swinging your weapon another couple of times.

4 minutes ago, W0l0l0 said:

I think the main problem is that the crown feels the need to be the main reward for most of the steps taken to get it. Fighting Crab King, the quests, the alters, many of these steps don't have enough reward, so all the pressure is all on the crown to be worth it. If there were some more pieces of loot that were obtainable before getting to the crown, our expectations probably wouldn't be so high up. Whether or not it's good in its own right.... eh, I dunno.

Also, yeah. This. The entire expansion is terribly balanced and a good chunk of the rewards it introduced are ultimately sidegrades to existing items, but ones that take much more time and effort to acquire.

Edit: Seems the crown is unbalanced for some characters, mainly Maxwell and Willow; which I'll admit I did not consider.

All they need to do is make the item customizable to suit every character differently depending on its contents.

Ex: Add shadowfuel to 1 slot and the item won't shoot ghestalts. 

Something I don't understand though, if I look back at the poll which asked if you would change anything about the update a great number of people said: No. Lots of people said it was perfect, so I'm confused. 

Edit: Soothing tea almost completely cancels out the crowns sanity drain.

I voted no. I think it's fine, you just need some sanity food if you're using it for long fights, which is no big deal. 

makes it super convenient to fight small mobs with a cane, super nice for general base work and spelunking. That said I'd be fine with a 70%+ limit as well. 5 glowcaps is a good deal also, but I wouldn't mind up to 10.

However given what you need to do to get it I can't really say it's worth it, but I don't see how it can justify the effort to get it without being overpowered. I just see it as a late game comfort item, and it does speed up some fights decently.

I think it's fine as it is. Most boss tools weapons and tools are specialized QoL improvements that are ALL niche, but each add up to make your life easier. Scaled Furnace is mainly used in Winter and is nearly useless in summer. Weather pains are used for Toadstool, Fuelweaver, and Poisoned Birchnuts. Bee Queen crown is mainly equipped for for the few high sanity drain boss fights.  The shadow thurible is used to kill other fuelweavers easier, or farm resources with the forest stalker. 

All Boss drops do is make tasks you could already do before less painful, and the Enlightenment crown does that perfectly. Much like the Eyebrella solves the problems of rain and summer heat, the Crown solves the need for light. Needing light is a problem needed nearly every night in the game and it makes sense to me that the first encountered and most prevalent obstacle in the game is solved with an endgame item.

3 hours ago, S19TealPenguin said:

Most boss tools weapons and tools are specialized QoL improvements that are ALL niche, but each add up to make your life easier.

My main issue with this statement is that most "main" bosses you fight for said improvements usually are available to take out without too many roadblocks in the way. Barring preparation for the fight, the only thing you really need to do to fight DFly/BQ/Klaus/Toad is simply just looking for them. The champion on the other hand requires significantly more hoops to jump through before you can even face it, and doing so nets an item that's as comparable as the bosses you don't need to go to such extents to fight.

in addition, even if it wasn't so hard to get to, getting just the crown from the boss that is meant to be the final boss of the arc feels lackluster, especially when compared to the fuelweaver from the previous arc. For comparison:

• The weaver just about fully regenerates the ruins, netting you ~2-3 stacks of thule and ~5-10 of each ruins gem on average, in addition to a substantial amount of wires, a guardian horn, and miscellaneous clockwork/mob drops.
  • Drops the bone armor, an excellent universal item as any character.
  • Drops the bone helm, a neat method to farm nightmare fuel or ignoring ruins/shadow nightmares if you can deal with the side effects.
  • Drops the shadow thurible, an item that can be used to control the forest/cave stalker with various practical uses for either, and also makes future battles against the fuelweaver easier in terms of not worrying about the cage as much.

The weaver itself could fulfill just about a dozen reasons on why you want to fight it, from getting more thule, wanting to snag bone armor, or just slowly amass houndius. The champion fulfills 3-4, and 2 are heavily megabasing themed (the infinite lights and the crown being a way to save a few inventory slots).

I don't think the boss fight itself is a bad thing (I actually love the fight!), but being rewarded with a bucketful of moonglass, a crown that has varying power for most characters, and it being able to be deconstructed for 5 lamps isn't the most satisfying thing from an endgame boss.

I was hoping that Wagstaff would give you recipe for thumper after completing his quest but meh..

But you know what? Klei does read this forum right? Since it's pretty much confirmed we won't be getting Wagstaff as playable character to DST after this update, there's a small chance they would listen to community and add some of his unique recipes as reward. That would be way better then any additional loot for final boss or any buff to crown in my opinion.

7 hours ago, Cassielu said:

I think what it really needs is more loot, like enlightened sword or shield something, Instead of buff the crown.

This precisely, the guardian needs more loot.

But also does the Crab king to make it interesting, so by the time you reach the celestial you are not already bored of the chore. The strident trident is mostly a joke at the current state.
The CK weapon should have been from the start, an item you can only craft from the BP and a drop of CK (maybe the shaft?) so every time you kill CK you can make just one (and have a very small chance to get another shaft from Klaus or sunken treasures). And it should have been a "really good" weapon,

EG:

Spoiler

It's unbreakable, and deals 34 damage on its base state. When using its secondary attack on the basic weapon, it just plays the animation but nothing happens.
However, I'd add it a slot to it where you can place a Gem (keeping it thematic to how CK works)
Each different gem changes the amount of damage, and what the special attacks does; the rarer the gem, the better the effects. After the uses are done, the gem breaks and reverts to its basic 34 damage. And you can't change the gem once it has been inserted:

• Blue gem: makes the strident trident deal 45 damage, has 100 uses. Special attack consumes 10 uses, and creates a small freezing geyser on the ground (like Klaus's blue deer attack, only smaller) that freezes enemies on that area.
  • Red gem: makes the strident trident deal 45 damage, has 100 uses. Special attack consumes 10 uses, create a small lava pond for X time. The pond deals damage over time to enemies standing over it (does not burn them to prevent griefing)
  • Purple Gem: makes the strident trident deal 51 damage, has 100 uses. Each time you hit an enemy it becomes slower for 3 seconds (like Walter's pellet, purple is related to power and as such it can de-power enemies) Special attack consumes 10 uses, makes enemies in the area affected deal less damage for 1 minute.
  • Orange gem: makes the strident trident deal 54 damage, has 150 uses. Special attack consumes 15 uses, and teleports the caster to the nearest lazy deserter (even if nobody is there summoning you). After the use, if you did teleport, or even if no lazy deserter exists in the world and you didn't go anywhere, you move 10% faster for 4 minutes.
  • Yellow gem: makes the strident trident deal 54 damage, has 150 uses. Each time you hit an enemy it glows for 3 seconds, and takes a bit of damage over time each second. Special attack consumes 15 uses, makes you and anyone around you in a small range immune to freezing, being frozen and wetness for 4 minutes.
  • Green gem: makes the strident trident deal 54 damage, has 150 uses. Special attack consumes 10 uses instead of 15, makes all items in a specified small area to combine and refine (if that is the case, eg: you dropped 300 grass, it will transform them into 100 ropes.)
  • Opalescent Gem: makes the strident trident deal 68 damage, has 200 uses. Each time you hit a nightmare creature with it you restore 1 sanity. Special attack consumes 10 uses and summons a greater gestalt that will fight for you and deal damage to enemies for 1 minute. Only one gestalt can be active per player at any given time, using again while active will only restart its timer.

Regarding the celestial, the crown is both an item and a consumable, in the form of permanent light for a base if you deconstruct it. However there's no harm in adding something else as it was mentioned before, that complements the late game where you must already be by then: For example the blueprint to craft a magical chest that works like Hamlet's https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Root_Trunk and the materials needed to build two of them, are those of a deconstructed crown. And to prevent cheesing with it and duplicating shards, green amulet could have no effect on it.

The shards you get from deconstructing it seem to be more of a reason to farm it imo. Fuelweaver has one of most unique and best loot tables in the game, with each item being extremely useful and very good.

As others have stated above, the champion simply lacks other items, despite being an endgame boss that requires quite a hefty amount of preperation to even get to his fight in the first place, only to roll a single item out of him that later on becomes kinda "meh".

You know what kind of loot/blueprint I feel is missing?

A connected storage.

In RPG games it is common to have a storage feature that travels with you. A chest or similar that holds the same items regardless of the town/location you’re in.

In DST I could imagine a combination of Antlion loot and other hightier loot to enable such a thing. Imagine you place a large chest at different parts of the world and in terms of storage they’re all the same.

This could make for cool lategame building strategies, and would also enable players to quickly share resources across a shard.

Now I get that this would be very powerful, so it would be warranted to require multi high tier loot, similar to the Toadstool/Champion situation. But it would certainly open up for some different/decentralized base building, which is a thing I kind of miss from DST right now.

55 minutes ago, clickrush said:

You know what kind of loot/blueprint I feel is missing?

A connected storage.

This is already a thing in Hamlet as a sort of expensive magic tab item, I think it would be a great addition to dst.

Either the sanity limit or sanity drain need to go, pretty much the entire cast is unable to use it for extended periods of time without spending extra resources on cactus, green caps, or other sanity restoring foods due to it demanding you have such a high sanity amount. As it currently stands, Wigfrid is the only character able to use the crown in extended fights, with WX-78 being a close 2nd place due to just having high base sanity. A endgame boss item, that usually takes over 100 days to even start the fight, is only viable in combat for 1 character.

"Oh but it's perk is infinite light and sanity". Just carry a lantern/miner hat and a tam around, and for infinite light at base, we've had winter's feast lights for several years now, even moreso now that we can enable winter's feast at will. I don't feel like going through the moonstorm event extra times just to fuel 5 extra mushlights, when I could fight klaus every 20 days and get upwards of 3 lights along with other rare resources, not to mention, you also need to spend green gems to get the infinite mushlight light. For such a late game item, it's more of a QoL item than an actual boss reward.

I feel the Champion needs another drop, outside of large amounts of moon glass and moon rocks. Perhaps an unbreakable weapon, I mean, we have beefalo which is a regenerating unbreakable weapon + 1000 hp 100% protection armor along with really high movement speeds, and beefalo can be tamed in the first autumn with little to no effort. Just ride your beefalo around and pick up grass and twigs as you go, make sure to keep obedience high and boom you've got one of the best killing machines in the game. Bone armor is also unbreakable 100% protection armor, albeit on a 5 second cooldown, which can be negated by simply bringing more bone armors. Something like that for the Champion could be cool, maybe you'd have to fuel the weapon with moon glass or some other moon based material.

Really though, the moonstorm event is kind of a better reward than the boss. Full moons have a lot of stuff going on, plus it completely removes darkness from the surface, which really begs the question as to why you'd ever want to deconstruct enlightened crowns.

I wish it did something entirely new.

Infinite light, and combat help is nice, but by the time you reach the celestial champion those things likely aren't really needed anymore. Taking it apart was a really neat change that I liked and I wish there was more to it like that.

Something like, wearing it keeps the lunacy stat at all times alongside some other bonuses to it, etc.
It has a lot of potential

Archived