Would you want interiors in DST?

Interiors.  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in interiors or interior-esque mechanics being a future addition to DST?

This is something I've been thinking a lot about lately since the announcement of RoT coming to a close. Would you guys be interested in Interiors making a return in the franchise? There were concerns amongst the community during development of Hamlet about what interiors could mean about the survival aspect of Don't Starve, but in the end was generally met with positive feedback. I think that this would give us a chance to revisit certain aspects that could be changed or improved upon but I would like to get the community's feedback on this as well.

So once again, would you personally like to see interiors make a return in the future?

Depends on if it’s too resource demanding/time consuming and rather or not hostile threats can spawn in them to murder you.

Conclusion: Hamlet style trapped temples with floor and wall traps and mobs that want you to die= YES.

Hamlet Style shopping centers with shop keep trading in markets where hostile things can’t spawn to harm you= nah ill pass.

Id rather see them focus on more biomes with more mobs and to maybe even update existing biomes with more content before we do interiors though.

As I understand, OP's question is not that clear.

Would I want to interior surviving places, houses that make surviving easier to hound/boss attacks, season weathers or darkness?

No, ofcourse not. That would make me leave game permanently. I believe it would kill all survival feeling that created by environment. In hamlet, nature wasn't the problem about surviving, capitalism was but in dst it is. So I would really be upset to see that kind of update.

Would I want to random generated interior dungeons, temples that have tons of traps and puzzles that can't be turned to a house because of dangerous things (like creatures)?

Yes, I really really want that. That would be great for discovery and puzzles would be really fun to make with friends. I believe it would be a great content and I think Klei should add it to do list.

I wanna say a huge DEPENDS. If it's the same as Hamlet than I would not really like it, mostly cause Hamlet's interior have a specific tab for decorative furnitures while there could be major improvements to decorative buildings that can be used outside or inside so we get to make fair decorations on any places.

An example is how few players use the Replica Relics, you got quite a medium set of furnitures and they would actually be used and fitting for most other building collections (aka Victorian so far but we can all get creative) if they get skins, like, one skin = a full decor set for the Relics. This way we could have tons of different actually nice pots and house / terraces decors. Outside of that houses could be much useful for other sort of activities but there is a bunch of other balance criteria to think about, a house can be likely a huge chests to place chests, right ? But what if it could get flooded, get roach invasions or anything else if you get to use them only for their potential abuses, just some random ideas here. It could be cool, but only if Klei decide to make decorative furnitures an universal thing and not just in-house stuff vs monke ancient stone table & chair.

I'd adore player houses, they could always make them require crown shards to craft to justify the infinite light, and making them not a crutch for survival. To me it's the one thing this game is really missing to make a base feel more like a home than a fancy camping spot.

I would like if the entire hamlet got it's own gamemode. Then it would make sense. 

Adding houses to base game is a terrible idea for many reasons mentioned by previous users.

Can't really tell about ruins or small caves. It still doesn't feel like it fits in DST as it is now.

So a long time ago... Klei mentioned they wanted to create a way for players to go idle for a bit and be able to return to the game- Kinda like if you just stood in one place for awhile the game would have nightmare hands grab your character by the ankles and drag them into the ground so they disappear from the game world and can’t be harmed.

While that sounds highly unlikely- Do Note that it’s not much different from simply logging out of the server how players just “poof” out of existence until they log back into the game.

On Xbox I notice many many MANY Newbie players exploiting this to avoid things like: Dying when it becomes nightfall and they forgot a light source, and avoiding Hound Waves. (this usually makes their hounds come try to Maul upon my own face but whatever..)

All of this is completely relevant to this topic because it gives the developers and those of us saying “no interiors” something to Seriously think about..

If players can ALREADY exploit the games survival features by simply logging out, How would having our own home interior be any different from that?

Ive been begging for a Global pause button for FOREVER but a house the size of a Merm-Shack I can enter that on the inside stores all my stuff and is fully customizable? This would be the second best thing to having global pause.

it would be no different from leaving the game (which NOW DAYS logs you out the world WITH Your Beefalo) 

In my above post I said no because the thought of it scared me- but now that I’ve taken a bit to seriously think about it and compare it to features the game already has.. I highly doubt it would hurt the game if personal homes were added.

In fact: It would probably be BETTER then having a global pause button honestly.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

So a long time ago... Klei mentioned they wanted to create a way for players to go idle for a bit and be able to return to the game- Kinda like if you just stood in one place for awhile the game would have nightmare hands grab your character by the ankles and drag them into the ground so they disappear from the game world and can’t be harmed.

While that sounds highly unlikely- Do Note that it’s not much different from simply logging out of the server how players just “poof” out of existence until they log back into the game.

On Xbox I notice many many MANY Newbie players exploiting this to avoid things like: Dying when it becomes nightfall and they forgot a light source, and avoiding Hound Waves. (this usually makes their hounds come try to Maul upon my own face but whatever..)

All of this is completely relevant to this topic because it gives the developers and those of us saying “no interiors” something to Seriously think about..

If players can ALREADY exploit the games survival features by simply logging out, How would having our own home interior be any different from that?

Ive been begging for a Global pause button for FOREVER but a house the size of a Merm-Shack I can enter that on the inside stores all my stuff and is fully customizable? This would be the second best thing to having global pause.

it would be no different from leaving the game (which NOW DAYS logs you out the world WITH Your Beefalo) 

In my above post I said no because the thought of it scared me- but now that I’ve taken a bit to seriously think about it and compare it to features the game already has.. I highly doubt it would hurt the game if personal homes were added.

In fact: It would probably be BETTER then having a global pause button honestly.

What

17 hours ago, Cliffford W. said:

Dungeons, Ruins Interiors yes that would be amazing

Interesting concept that I hadn't thought about.

Though it'd need to be balanced so that those interiors wouldn't become a safe space for the players. 

Although I'm pretty sure that Klei could add 'interiors' without actually making them. Something like a structure with an entrance hole and when the player walks through that hole the structure's 'roof' becomes transparent and we can see the 'interior'.

14 minutes ago, Well-met said:

wouldn't a house just shield you from every threat ever?

Giants could tear it down with 1-2 attacks/hits, while regular aggressive-towards-player mobs like Dogs would do so after a certain number of bites, to make it balanced.

But yes, I for one would very-much fancy a DST Slanty Shanty housing equivalent (with only 1 room), perhaps hidden in a hard-boss loot-table. (Btw, for PC users there's a neat mod for such concept: Sweet House)

6 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Giants could tear it down with 1-2 attacks/hits, while regular aggressive-towards-player mobs like Dogs would do so after a certain number of bites, to make it balanced.

But yes, I for one would very-much fancy a DST Slanty Shanty housing equivalent (with only 1 room), perhaps hidden in a hard-boss loot-table. (Btw, for PC users there's a neat mod for such concept: Sweet House)

what happens if the house breaks when you're inside

6 minutes ago, Well-met said:

what happens if the house breaks when you're inside

Falls outside with animation similar to Woby throwing you down. If one really wants some semblance of realism, such action could also be accompanied by a certain HP-loss percentage (as damage from having a roof falling on character). There's a lot that can be done balance-wise.

I think it'd be nice to be able to make houses on creative mode, but for the main game that's gonna be a "no" from me.

As for ruin interiors, it'd be nice in theory but in practice, you'd end up clearing those ruins and then it's no different than a house, The monsters in the hamlet ruins don't respawn, and you can disarm all the traps to make it a completely safe environment where you won't need to deal with weather, hounds (or in this case bats) or bosses. 

Archived