Mid-Summer Carnival Discussion

you know for somereasons we dit anoy the moon and all that but what about his sister the sun? she wants the spot "light" now and but never gets it so this event is all about not burning bevore the sun gets too angry durin summer by doin some "funny" carneval games

Skins!!! Tons of skins!!! 

Fireworks!

Festive snacks, special foods and funny trinkets!

Sand structures!

Hot, unforgiving sun, covering you with cruel blisters as your body becomes a steak! Carnival themed boss!

Paper hats!

6 hours ago, minespatch said:

Kind of a shame the "solstice" name is dropped. I don't know what event will look like but a name related to the sun in contrast to the latest moon arc felt interesting. Shame, but looking forward to the Cawnival.

Midsummer technically is the solstice though, not just just a day in the middle of the summer, it's the name of the peculiar pagan festival on the day of the Summer solstice that involves the themes of age, cycles, life, death and rebirth. In fact there's a very infamous film about it: Midsommar (2019) - IMDbSummerNightsPromo.jpg.3128f2d4c1196f92b9e4822daafa7637.jpg

As far as the DST event goes, I don't expect Wickerbottom and Maxwell jumping off cliffs for the youth to nourish or certain survivors being picked to be sacrificed and skinned alive. Instead, summer themed events in games usually revolve around pools, drinks, barbecue and fireworks (certain 4th of July influence). As such, given that they plan to format it as some sort of a carnival, we may find some grilling activities, water related actions and flare/lightshows.

14 minutes ago, Well-met said:

unpopular opinion : DST didn't need another holiday event

Well they have to balance out the distribution of events somehow. It was either this or start a petition to move Halloween to July.

56 minutes ago, JosePapp said:

I kinda want them to rework summer and make it the seafaring season. It just makes sense 

They kind of already started that with how easy it is to cool off with wetness and the water pumps on boats making fire fighting cheaper. 

Here's some of my other ideas:

I am guessing that in this carnival, there will be a lot of minigames that you can play. There will be a balloon-popping dart-throwing event, maybe a water balloon throwing contest, and they will all be hosted by the grey woolly guy who hosts the bird minigames in the main menu section, the shopkeeper I think he's called.

I do agree there will be a new variety of summer treats and food to be able to purchase perhaps with carnival tickets, and they will award the player with certain small benefits. I want to see a great table laid out with summer goodies, even though they weren't all that useful in Winter's Feast, I did like the variety of the foods being laid out for everyone to see.

I like the idea of a big bird coming to the Don't Starve world capable of carrying the player and transporting the player very easily from one area of the world to another. I think if you win a good number of tickets in the carnival, you can ride this big bird to anywhere in the world as a fun way to experience an amusement attraction in the carnival, and also as a good way to augment the transportation options available in the game. I'm thinking a big crow-like beast that has been mutated and increased in size by the moonstorm. Not unlike the one drawn above I guess, but more friendly-looking.

19 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

As far as the DST event goes, I don't expect Wickerbottom and Maxwell jumping off cliffs for the youth to nourish or certain survivors being picked to be sacrificed and skinned alive. Instead, summer themed events in games usually revolve around pools, drinks, barbecue and fireworks (certain 4th of July influence). As such, given that they plan to format it as some sort of a carnival, we may find some grilling activities, water related actions and flare/lightshows.

I'm just sad they dropped the "Solstice" name for the sun pun. I'm not sure Klei was having Ari Aster's film in mind.

12 hours ago, Dragolantis said:

Did you Draw that??? Because if so that is extremely well made.

Darkest Dungeon... But I did draw this though:

1276632751_darkestdungeonwickerbottom.thumb.png.4cc532b71be920ade59f9ac7727389cb.png1087961874_darkestdungeonthumbnailspatch.thumb.png.c1d054b75a93513d38444aae2d5381cc.png

On 5/14/2021 at 9:27 PM, minespatch said:

I'm just sad they dropped the "Solstice" name for the sun pun. I'm not sure Klei was having Ari Aster's film in mind.

Darkest Dungeon... But I did draw this though:

1276632751_darkestdungeonwickerbottom.thumb.png.4cc532b71be920ade59f9ac7727389cb.png1087961874_darkestdungeonthumbnailspatch.thumb.png.c1d054b75a93513d38444aae2d5381cc.png

I've never heard of Darkest Dungeon, is it another indie game? or maybe one of the multiple puzzles for DS.

On 5/14/2021 at 6:04 AM, Szczuku said:

I'm sure it's gonna be a great and thought out event and not just an excuse to sell summer-themed skins.

I don't get what you're implying here. Klei adds skins with most every update lately and they aren't even necessarily related to the update, like Eye of the Storm having flower and sheep themed skins despite the update containing nothing like that.

It would be a VERY questionable decision on Klei's part to supposedly make a bad and intentionally underdeveloped event, which would require making unique art for said event, so that they could also make even more  unique art to sell summer skins... when they could just work on the new content update and release the exact same skins along with it.

32 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

I don't get what you're implying here. Klei adds skins with most every update lately and they aren't even necessarily related to the update, like Eye of the Storm having flower and sheep themed skins despite the update containing nothing like that.

It would be a VERY questionable decision on Klei's part to supposedly make a bad and intentionally underdeveloped event, which would require making unique art for said event, so that they could also make even more  unique art to sell summer skins... when they could just work on the new content update and release the exact same skins along with it.

Oh like year of the beefalo

2 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

While they definitelly weren't underdeveloped, I feel like both Forge/2.0 and Gorge fit that description. Not only unique art but also code, gameplay, lore, dialogue. And ultimatelly for almost nothing as base game only received heavily reworked version of Gorge's farming and no lore connection has been made between those events and RoT.

Plus the above-mentioned YotX events which yearly waste a month of development to crank some extra cash for the devs and their... new friends.

27 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

to crank some extra cash for the devs and their... new friends.

So what you're actually trying to argue is that Tencent is bad. Next time please actually say that, rather than presenting it like there's a conversation to be had when in reality you just don't like Tencent.

25 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

So what you're actually trying to argue is that Tencent is bad. Next time please actually say that, rather than presenting it like there's a conversation to be had when in reality you just don't like Tencent.

We’ve been over this a hundred billion times but I suppose once more around the block won’t hurt.

If you’ve ever played Gears of War, Fortnite, PubG, Rocket League.

If you’ve ever Watched King Kong, Wonder Woman, or Venom.. 

Then Congratulations you are supporting Tencent! Basically they have shares into a lot of really great things- but their involvement does not make those great things bad.

Ahem Anyways.... On the topic of the actual event WHY is it called “Cawnival?” Caw is something a Crow does right..? To the best of my knowledge- Crows don’t have anything at all to do with Summer.

Personally I’m hoping the update has exclusive event stuff, but comes alongside permanent core game content in the much requested form of awesome Summer Rework.

However- I should also mention that now that we can toggle ON/OFF events at our own pleasure, that even limited time events like YoTC are a Permanently enjoyable part of the game.

I could only cry and WISH Gorge & Forge had gotten this same treatment- but Klei has stated time and time again that it would be too time consuming & ultimately may not be worth the time or resources required.

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Ahem Anyways.... On the topic of the actual event WHY is it called “Cawnival?” Caw is something a Crow does right..? To the best of my knowledge- Crows don’t have anything at all to do with Summer.

crows roost and nest in summer (spring as well) but thats about as much real world correlation i know

as for ingame correlation, crows appear A LOT in deserts

who else is in the desert? dragonfly and antlion

and while dragonfly isnt a summer boss anymore, antlion is

so the desert has heavy ties to summer i believe

i feel like this is more of a "we'll know it when we see it" kind of thing but that's my thoughts

14 hours ago, SkyistheGround said:

crows roost and nest in summer (spring as well) but thats about as much real world correlation i know

as for ingame correlation, crows appear A LOT in deserts

who else is in the desert? dragonfly and antlion

and while dragonfly isnt a summer boss anymore, antlion is

so the desert has heavy ties to summer i believe

i feel like this is more of a "we'll know it when we see it" kind of thing but that's my thoughts

IDK why it's called the Cawnival either, I actually thought it was just Carnival, At first I thought there might be some circus tent and now I think there might be some bird show. And maybe a crow boss???

20 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

We’ve been over this a hundred billion times but I suppose once more around the block won’t hurt.

If you’ve ever played Gears of War, Fortnite, PubG, Rocket League.

If you’ve ever Watched King Kong, Wonder Woman, or Venom.. 

Then Congratulations you are supporting Tencent! Basically they have shares into a lot of really great things- but their involvement does not make those great things bad.

Personally I’m hoping the update has exclusive event stuff, but comes alongside permanent core game content in the much requested form of awesome Summer Rework.

However- I should also mention that now that we can toggle ON/OFF events at our own pleasure, that even limited time events like YoTC are a Permanently enjoyable part of the game.

I could only cry and WISH Gorge & Forge had gotten this same treatment- but Klei has stated time and time again that it would be too time consuming & ultimately may not be worth the time or resources required.

R.I.P special events

Anyone who expects the event to bring any serious changes to summer is setting themselves up for disappointment.

Winter's Feast content had nothing to do with Winter, and Hallowed Nights content had nothing to do with Autumn, so there's little reason to think Midsummer Cawnival will actually be focused on Summer itself.

I'm not saying you should rule out getting some tweaks to summer, but anything more than that would have to come in a non-event update.

Archived