2021 Roadmap Character Refresh Discussion

I'd like for webber to be able to craft special nests for spitters and cave spiders. It would also be neat if certain spiders could be buffed to make him more competitive with wurt, especially considering merms are also the ultimate resource gatherers. 

Now that many mentioned them, I think they should slowly fix the ones that were recently released or reworked, in QOL and bugfixing patches. Most don't require full out reworks, just small changes with a big impact in the gameplay, like what they did with Wormwood.

EG:

• Wortox being able to tell who needs healing and who doesn't, and being able to heal mounted beefalos and befriended followers (of himself or other players)
  • Willow being able to make BERNIE! small temporally even if insane, to enter caves or jump through Wormholes.
  • A revisit at Walter's slingshot, mostly the special effects pellets (slow, freezing, poop)
  • Merms having names, telling when hungry, and respawning at their houses when lost for more than a day.
  • Wigfrid's fireproof falsetto having a use. It's the most expensive song and it's utterly useless, not sure if it was a joke or an oversight.
  • Winona getting something new, like being able to move the catapults and generators.
  • Warly getting more time out of special effect dishes for himself.

As for reworks I guess its possible we get Webber, WX and maybe Wolfgang (or a "real" rework for Wes).
I'd like Maxwell at some point but I doubt it's gonna be this year.

A ShadowDuelist can dream though...

I really wish it as Maxwell, even though I am pretty sure it wont be him. He is good for gathering, but thats it. (Maybe Nightmare creature farming, but with so many tools for that, is that an actual benefit?) The main antagonist for Dont Starve, the character with the most lore. All he gets is being good for gathering wood and rocks. I really do think he deserves more.

4 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Wigfrid's fireproof falsetto having a use. It's the most expensive song and it's utterly useless, not sure if it was a joke or an oversight.

Now that I think of it, it might be a joke about a soprano singing in falsetto. Since she already has the highest vocal range there is, I think she might be trying to turn into a dog whistle.

13 hours ago, Dr.Medic said:

and a new character that i was thinkin about because its goin to be a "dlc" character and all of them are none humans so i was thinkin and was like "wolfgang is all about attack but wigfried has both attack and defense what if there is an character that is all about defense?" so i came up whit something that would make most sense for defense only and i came up whit a knight i mean they wear heavy armor and all but then was thinkin the "none human" part and was more thinkin and was like "well knights hunt dragons dont they?" so i was thinkin about a lizard knight

It seems great on paper, but it will be really hard to make him interesting to play without adding some op mechanic to his gameplay. So character like this will either be not interesting to play because who wants to be the punching bag guy, or will be op as heck

I think Webber obviously so people stop crying(Not a bad thing lol), WX and wolf will be reworked(I believe all are at some point didn’t they said?). Webber because he’s a freaking spider and that’s kinda cool and highly popular, WX because his upgrades are useful and Wolfgang because he’s the strongest character, and people tend to gravitate toward the “best” characters.

If my list was correct I’d hope they scratch off Wolf and add someone else like Maxwell to the list. Wolf I feel sits higher than him. I love maxwell but really the only thing going for him is wood chopping. With wolf at least you have the food mechanic, different stages etc.

WX for sure though and it’s touchy for me. People really don’t understand just how insane he is especially when playing together. The fact he suffers no negative effects from food spoilage is really good and his stat pool when upgraded is good with how tank friendly this game is. Just some first morning thoughts :shock:

I want WX an Wolfgang to get their refreshes first.

WX's big perk is actively harmful in a multiplayer environment, literally eating up a useful resource for personal gain.

Wolfgang is just "Big man strong". That's it. That's what he is.

Webber can come after them. His harmful perk is only harmful if he lets it get out of control, and he has more shakeup in mechanics with the opposite-day effect on Pigs and Spiders than Wolfgang has with 'Rawr strong I kill boss fast'

My small ideas:

1) Wolfgang - can make large barbell or small dumbbells, promote exercising everyday to become super strongman, carries structures faster. :)

2) Webber - can use razor on tier 3 spider dens to get silk, can recruit up to 3 spider BFFs and give them helmets or have them dance, maybe have a worldwide prestige meter with spiders and they give you a spider crown in the end

3) Maxwell - can dismiss shadow workers at will, shadow warriors are now made based on weapon and armor you are wearing, can now make shadow helmets

My biggest concern with webber is ideally he should focus on the follower aspect for his refresh but that comes with issues like while I believe he should be able to learn to craft special dens I feel like it'll mainly cause intentional and unintentional griefing as lower skill level players have issues with normal spiders before you even at spitters and shattered spiders into the mix. A friend of mine came up with a idea i did think was interesting which was give each spider type a unique ability webber can command them to do(not their current abilities)

50% of ppl I've seen reply Love webber, I do to. He is a character that focuses more on his friendship with spiders and is intended to be a character where you recruit as many followers as possible, but spiders suck lol.  normal spiders can be stunlocked and warriors are watermelons that have basically the same kiting pattern as a beefalo. They may be useful for dealing with hounds or smaller mobs but most bosses have AOE attacks that obliterate spiders, the amount of spiders it would take to make them useful in a battle with Antlion (The weakest boss in my opinion), would need you to get like a stack or two of monster meat to tame all those warrior spiders, yes, I said WARRIOR spiders. Not to mention the loot from the mobs that spiders do kill are likely to be eaten, a key example is pigs v spiders where pigs will eat the monster meat and spiders will eat the meat AND pigskin. (yes they eat that) Spiders are basically discount pigs and pigs aren't even too useful in fights, and their main purpose is to be turned into hats and weapons or for manual labor, which webber can make his spider friends do. Webber can befriend all types of spiders but shattered spiders are unable to get on boats so they're useless, and caves spiders and spitters can only show up in the caves. Webber can craft normal spider dens, and can upgrade existing ones with silk, I think the upgrade feature is cool, but the craft for spider dens are stupid expensive, and unless you base in the swamp, you aren't ever gonna craft this, and even if you do base in the swamp, you're better off not doing it. Maybe if the crafting recipe was nerfed and webber could do extra things with spiders, then maybe.

I really hope they take their time with Webber and Wolfgang refreshes.. make them NEW, Unique & Fun.

I want to be able to pick things up in Mighty Mode and throw them (perhaps teammates, perhaps heavy objects I can smash spiders with, idc..)

And as controversial as it may sound- I hope Wolfgang, Wickerbottom & WX78 all get much needed much justified Nerfs.

400hp is just absolutely ridiculous bring it down to 300 or 250 Max.

Wicker’s books are OP but they only need harder rare to gather ingredients with a mix of already existing content, and newer content as the ingredients (slurtle slime, Lunar Mushroom) 

The best way to handle an OP character is to make sure them being OP feels like you’ve EARNED it and it feels REWARDING to be OP- Not Cheap.

Wes got a Nerf to his stats.. WES... I’m pretty sure NO ONE is exempt from Klei’s rework list.

That said: I really hope Webber’s Rework brings new spider types into the game.

Thought for Webber: perhaps feeding normal spiders certain types of meat/item transforms all recruited spiders from that item into a different type. Forced evolution if you will.

So for example you feed a normal spider a piece of moonglass and it and the other few that are then recruited turn into shattered spiders.

Feed a spider a batwing and you get a few cave spiders. Feed a spider nightmare fuel and you get some spitters. 

Might be too strong without a limit or cap though.

This way you can get the other types on the surface/mainland.

More on topic though, with the surprise wes rework the other two I'd like to see are WX and Webber. 

Webber just needs it, he's in a bad place atm and when I played as him briefly recently it was glaringly obvious how much he doesn't compare to the other survivors - I wanted to change back to someone else within a few in game days.

WX needs it too. I want a reliable way to self charge that doesn't cost endless purple staffs. Bring his charge mechanics down a notch and make it not last as long but make it so you can self charge on charged lightning rods with frazzled wires (uses up one wire) or by getting hit by a charged volt goat. Yeah I know it's a multiplayer game blah blah but pretty much every character perk or strength can be utilized and capitalised on solo except for WX 's overcharge.

Wolfgang and wicker need their respective reworks too but more to bring them in line with others and to make Wolfgang less boring. Considering these two need balancing more than upgrades they can wait.

IDK why, but It joys me that this post has been viewed 2000+ times

also 

8 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

Thought for Webber: perhaps feeding normal spiders certain types of meat/item transforms all recruited spiders from that item into a different type. Forced evolution if you will.

So for example you feed a normal spider a piece of moonglass and it and the other few that are then recruited turn into shattered spiders.

Feed a spider a batwing and you get a few cave spiders. Feed a spider nightmare fuel and you get some spitters. 

Might be too strong without a limit or cap though.

This way you can get the other types on the surface/mainland.

More on topic though, with the surprise wes rework the other two I'd like to see are WX and Webber. 

Webber just needs it, he's in a bad place atm and when I played as him briefly recently it was glaringly obvious how much he doesn't compare to the other survivors - I wanted to change back to someone else within a few in game days.

WX needs it too. I want a reliable way to self charge that doesn't cost endless purple staffs. Bring his charge mechanics down a notch and make it not last as long but make it so you can self charge on charged lightning rods with frazzled wires (uses up one wire) or by getting hit by a charged volt goat. Yeah I know it's a multiplayer game blah blah but pretty much every character perk or strength can be utilized and capitalised on solo except for WX 's overcharge.

Wolfgang and wicker need their respective reworks too but more to bring them in line with others and to make Wolfgang less boring. Considering these two need balancing more than upgrades they can wait.

Nice idea, the concept of a forced evolution is cool, maybe something different for cave spiders, like maybe some sort of slurtle or snurtle shell instead of a batwing, to reflect their shell, maybe something to make them warrior spoders or dangling depth dwellers?

Or something to revert them back to normal spoders

Here is my idea for a webber rework:

I never would have expected they'd give Wes attention over webber. I think it has to do with timing. If the next batch of content is going to be big then I suppose Wes' simple rework was a good fit for their schedule. Here's to hope for next time!

Is the Wes refresh actually counting towards our 3 this year? Ngl I actually like the rework but I still feel like other characters had some more dire needs. I know that the refresh was released on April Fools but is that just because it's Wes why wouldn't you do it then, or is it because the refresh is a joke and doesn't count towards our total this year?

I still would've loved to see WX, Webber, and Wolfgang refreshed but Wes, great as he is, might have taken a valuable spot

10 minutes ago, HojMcFoj said:

Is the Wes refresh actually counting towards our 3 this year? Ngl I actually like the rework but I still feel like other characters had some more dire needs. I know that the refresh was released on April Fools but is that just because it's Wes why wouldn't you do it then, or is it because the refresh is a joke and doesn't count towards our total this year?

I still would've loved to see WX, Webber, and Wolfgang refreshed but Wes, great as he is, might have taken a valuable spot

Good question @HojMcFoj, Does Wes' Rework actually count? I'd think so, because a rework is a rework, no matter how small (Looking at you wigfrid)

25 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Here is my idea for a webber rework:

I never would have expected they'd give Wes attention over webber. I think it has to do with timing. If the next batch of content is going to be big then I suppose Wes' simple rework was a good fit for their schedule. Here's to hope for next time!

Like it, but your idea for Webber seems to childish, IK that he is a Child but this is just too childish even for him. I do like the idea of webber being able to transport spiders and maybe because he actually has 4 limbs on his face maybe he could hold 2 held items at once? Ids how this could work but an idea is an idea

Archived