How come petty Treeguards are considered a boss mob but Varg isn't?

40 minutes ago, RenTheCat said:

Worst part is those two don't even have a marble statue. Even Spider Queen doesn't have a marble statue, but guess who does? Varg.

I believe this is from Year of the Varg, similar to how we got beefalo statues this year.

I would love a Treeguard sculpture, especially a dormant Treeguard sculpture. Yes, that means I want a sculpture of a normal-looking, fully grown evergreen.

Being able to decorate with un-changing Evergreens made of marble, stone or moon glass would be sooo good for base building.

3 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

I would love a Treeguard sculpture, especially a dormant Treeguard sculpture.

You can use festive tree planter to keep evergreens fully grown forever

I, on the other hand, would love if treeguards could rarely drop their head akin to the one seen in Woodie's cinematic. A nice, ds aesthetic-fitting decoration, especially if it'd blink every now and then.

4 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

You can use festive tree planter to keep evergreens fully grown forever

True, but that does put a festive twist on the whole build. And, as I said, marble and moon glass evergreens...

There's a disappointing lack of trees in DST, especially compared to DS. Twiggy Trees are ugly, Lumpy Evergreen as non-transplantable and Lune Trees are not very neutral, so they don't go well with any aesthetic.

I've wondered about this as well. In my book, I've always considered them minibosses. However I'm not sure on Ewecus. Sure, she's harder than a Treeguard, at least I think. Never really battled one real-time, but I do know that alone it is next to impossible.

5 minutes ago, Cassielu said:

What really makes me confused is Poison Birchnut Tree boss mob.

It even doesn't have EPIC tag and epic battle music.:wilson_shocked:

Yeah, even though it's harder than the Treeguard. Twice as annoying, with half the Living Logs

1 hour ago, DaZoul said:

Yeah, even though it's harder than the Treeguard. Twice as annoying, with half the Living Logs

What. With Woodie or weather pain they disappear in 3 seconds. Basically Woodie with current update (since pressing mouse skip anims or with spam clicking) can cut one poison birchnut before getting any hit.

4 minutes ago, Notecja said:

What. With Woodie or weather pain they disappear in 3 seconds. Basically Woodie with current update (since pressing mouse skip anims or with spam clicking) can cut one poison birchnut before getting any hit.

yes, however you need Woodie or a weather pain for that

And it might just be my bad luck, but if they appear, they appear at like day 10, when I'm busy enough to almost not even care about them

4 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

I would love a Treeguard sculpture, especially a dormant Treeguard sculpture. Yes, that means I want a sculpture of a normal-looking, fully grown evergreen.

Being able to decorate with un-changing Evergreens made of marble, stone or moon glass would be sooo good for base building.

I mean, you have petrified tree :p 

11 minutes ago, kuroite said:

I mean, you have petrified tree :p 

You cant control in which state will be pretrified and when

11 hours ago, Crestwave said:

I believe this is from Year of the Varg, similar to how we got beefalo statues this year.

And the clay vargs itself works as pretty cool statues that can be telelocate to the wished area 

6 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Considered a boss according to what? I consider them a boss, they're one of the most dangerous enemies in the game.

When fighting Vargs, boss music won't play, unlike with Treeguards

7 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Considered a boss according to what? I consider them a boss, they're one of the most dangerous enemies in the game.

I consider it a boss too and have my respect for it when facing one. However the game does not have the “boss” tag on them. Wortox gets one soul out of it instead of 7, Wigfrid does not gain extra inspiration, epic music does not start, etc.

I'm really annoyed of sketch loots on boss, sculptures are nice but after the first one it's just filling your inventory, so if tree guards (that I cannot consider a boss just because they have an "epic" tag, it means nothing much) drop a damn sketch every time you kill one, I'll be kinda mad.

I know it's not the main topic but I see a lot of players looking for sculptures of all "epic" mobs, it's a bit saddening.

4 hours ago, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

More importantly, why don't they drop anything special? Same with rockjaw, although they at least drop 4 big fish meats. Also, rockjaws are new, so they could have special drop planned for the future.

I believe they're supposed to be bad, and not something that you want to happen. 

3 hours ago, ADM said:

I'm really annoyed of sketch loots on boss, sculptures are nice but after the first one it's just filling your inventory, so if tree guards (that I cannot consider a boss just because they have an "epic" tag, it means nothing much) drop a damn sketch every time you kill one, I'll be kinda mad.

I know it's not the main topic but I see a lot of players looking for sculptures of all "epic" mobs, it's a bit saddening.

they can be used as Fuel

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

I believe they're supposed to be bad, and not something that you want to happen. 

Yeah, i get that. But deerclops is supposed to be bad too, and you get eyeball, treeguards are supposed to be bad and you get living logs, ewecus is supposed to be bad and you get steel wool and his spit. Even hound waves are supposed to be bad, but you get mm, teeth and gems.

His drop doesn't have to be an overpowered weapon, just something else than regular hound drops. I'm not advocating for overly gamified incentives to do stuff, but all the work for developing this cool creature with no, rewards, no result, nothing changes for you.

1 hour ago, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

but all the work for developing this cool creature with no, rewards, no result, nothing changes for you.

I consider a varg to be in the sort of a wildcard territory along with bearger, where it rewards you as long as it’s alive much more then when it dies. You can definitely get a large amount of hound drops if you spend a few minutes farming it, especially if you built a dedicated farm to handle the influx of hounds. It’s similar to how bearger can be used as a bulldozer equivalent for bulk farming items, and the fur in comparison isn’t quite as good past the first 1-2 kills, IMO.

Archived