What do you often do in the first several days of a world?

I explore the island and gather resources. Then I find a place to set up base, usually near the Beefalo because I'm a noob and like to turn to them if there's trouble. From there on, I try to prep for the other seasons. As for summer, I spend it underground. I haven't survived a year on my own yet so I focus more on that then ruins or sailing. 

Depends on who I'm playing and the world's resources. Twiggy, I'll usually farm tumbleweeds until I get a gear or two. Wurt, I'll run along the landmass edge looking for lunar tells. Wendy/Wigfrid, I'll usually search for a bunnyman village to setup by. Wormwood, I'll look for oasis and try to corral a bunch of koalaphants.  Wigfrid/Webber, I'll setup a lot of drying racks. Last time I played Wortox I did a bunch of bee boxes.

I like to take it slow, rushing everything doesn't leave much for later.    Build an alchemy, map, find some gears, that's all I try for in the first several days.

Farming is a nice addition for later game play, gives you something to do besides killing bosses every 20 days.

18 hours ago, BezKa said:

Map out the world and settle down. Get my food sources set up and organise important spots on the map (Oasis camp, clean around Pig King, mark multi Moose Goose spawn). I play extremely slowly though, because I hate being unprepared for stuff, I never rush anything. Never been to Lunar island. I decided to wait until all updates regarding it will arrive so I can have the full experience all at once and avoid potential resets or missing fights added into stages etc. 

I would agree- but each update has made things that require exploring that content more or less mandatory- the WintersFeast event for example had Several Masonry Oven recipes that require going to Lunar, Pearls, and Ocean Content.

In fact: I just encountered my first ever RockJaw Shark today while playing (absolutely horrifying experience by the way) 

My biggest problem with the Ocean Content as it stands now is there’s little to it until you get like way out at sea, so you sail for forever on this painfully slow boat through a Sea of nothing.. until you get to the few points of interest. It Sucks..

But I have extremely high hopes that they’ll polish all that up and make it a more enjoyable experience that isn’t such a slow slog of drifting to points of interest.

(also hope they remove a good bit of the Rock Stacks and put actual island biomes with unique content out there in there place)

But anyway my point is if you wanted to experience everything Winters Feast had to offer you had to engage with that stuff for buffet table recipes. :)  

• First half of autumn is possibly the most boring part of the game for me as I run around the edge of the main island until an entire outline is done.
  • Then I pick a base at Dfly desert or near a wormhole leading to dfly desert (I always turn wildfires off so I can base wherever).
  • Then I do one of three things:
    • make some sort of food farm
    • gather more resources
    • most commonly, vibe, aka feel lost and be unable to make a decision on what to do next

On 1/12/2021 at 10:38 AM, Souper said:

What do you guys usually do at in the first week or two?

Explore.

Well, not usually for the first TWO weeks.  If I don't have at least a _halfway_ decent place to base by Day 9 or so I'll slap down a science machine SOMEwhere.  Don't wanna be caught out not even knowing _how_ to make a spear and logsuit when the first hounds come, after all.

Sometimes I'll move after that, if I find a definitely better place/where I ended up placing my science machine has definite problems.  But usually I just make do with what I have where I am and deal.  Ya know?

...Notorious

On 1/12/2021 at 6:38 PM, Souper said:

Ever since I learned how to ruins rush/lunar island rush, I pretty much exclusively do either of those at the beginning of a world just because it makes the following days much easier to endure. I'm starting to wonder if I'm in the minority here though. What do you guys usually do at in the first week or two?

walk around the edges of map to map out whole world

If I'm playing with a bunch of other people on the server, my strategy is always to pick WX-78, hammer 2 pig houses and at least 4 pig heads, then go straight to the ruins for Magiluminescence, Frazzled Wires, Gears, and Star Caller's Staff if I found Living Logs already. I usually come back up around day 10-12 to flex my 400 hp on everyone else get 200 gold from the Pig King, and then I can do everything 20% faster thanks to the Magiluminescence.

Incidentally, when I do choose this strategy, I don't bother ever prototyping a backpack. Nor do I miss it, because Puffy Vest and Raincoat are super good in the upcoming seasons, and Magiluminescence means I can fight stuff in the dark without being stuck to a lantern or taking off my helmet.

Myself:

Normally will be: Collect 40 cut grass/twigs > searching whole the world > looking at the map and build the base > dig 40 grass tuft/sapling/berry bushes > Go to Lunar Island and collect Bull Kelp (With this I establish the base in 12-12 days)

Faster one is: Collect 40 cut grass/twigs > build a science machine to craft Shovel/Backpack/Pitchfork > Collect 40 grass tuft/sapling/berry bushes > Build the base > Go to Lunar Island and collect Bull Kelp (WIth this I establish the base in 10 days)

I hate risking my life.

I have a perfectly timed timeline with resources and everything. Well..... Let's go!

My method is optimal with at least 3 people, but can work with 2, or even 1 person.

Day 1-5: This is mainly for collecting Resources for a base, while exploring the map for a decent location.

RESOURCES: 

• 120 Rocks
  • 60-80 Logs
  • 60-80 Grass AND Twigs
  • 32 Charcoal
  • Whatever else your stinky self can carry

Day 6-7: This is base set up time.

STRUCTURES: 

• 1 Alchemy Engine
  • 1 Rain-o-meter (Don't judge me, I know it's pointless, but it looks nice!)
  • 1 Thermal Measurer (Don't judge me, I know it's pointless, but it looks nice!)
  • 1 Firepit
  • 4 Crockpots
  • 4 Drying Racks
  • (IF YOU GOT GEARS!) 1-3 fridge(s)

Day 8-10: Time Off. Have Fun!

Day 11-12: Butterfly Time

Make sure to make a butterfly farm. You should have plenty of left other materials. Hopefully......

Day 13-17: Mostly time off, but also get prepared for Dragonfly.

Day 18: Dragonfly:

Use those leftover rocks for Dragonfly walls. 4 people minimum so you don't get slammed ya' nooby!

Day 19-21: Prepare for Winter:

Thingy says it all. Stock up on food, get a thermal stone, and prepare for Walrus's.

WELL! That sure was long! Hope you guys find this useful......

Just now, viberr said:

isn't it kinda sad to just prepare an entire timeline for your first 20 days?

like me personally all i do at the start is vibe man 

Oh I absolutely feel you my man! But..... alas...... I have grown this NEED to become good in any game I play, plus the need to play better than everyone or else I feel insignificant. :encouragement:

It's a horrible quality I know...... I know......

2 minutes ago, viberr said:

isn't it kinda sad to just prepare an entire timeline for your first 20 days?

like me personally all i do at the start is vibe man 

It does work VERY WELL though. Can't lie. The only time I saw it fail was when I was single handedly carrying the entire team. Until they ALL died and I was dealing with sanity drain of 5 dead people. I was still living, I just said frick it and left.

so:

- 2 stacks of rocks

- a stack of logs

- a stack of twigs

- a stack of grass

- a stack of gold

- find gears if possible

- make basic tools and backpack

- burn down a forest and get 36 charcoal

- run around paths to find desert

- find out whether deserts are merged

- they arent

- regenerate world

- do everything all over again

- question life choices

- deserts still not merged

- three regens later, have gone through berry bush variants, on twiggy tree world, gathering sticks is a pain

- deserts finally merged 

- set up shop in oasis

- look for rocket trinket [MANDATORY]

- mass gather berries, rocks and birchnuts

- destroy some pig houses too because why not

- dont forget weapons and armor an the pk panflute

- set up dfly wall

- die

- no rollbacks

- regen world

- question life choices further

- repeat all over again until i can rush fly, klaus and clops in the span of the first year

I circumnavigate the world while grinding out resources. Science machine as soon as possible for backpack, spear, log suit and razor (yes, I prototype a razor. I prefer to hunt beefalo after shaving them), then hammer it down to get the gold back. Another science machine once I have the logs, rocks, gold and charcoal I need to prebuild all the basic structures with.

Usually the map edge is explored by day 10-12 and I will have collected Glommer, Chester, reeds, pig skin, gears, silk, beefalo wool, beefalo horn. With that I'm set for Winter and can spend the remainder of the season puttering around base, usually getting bee boxes set up and trying to spawn treeguards.

Archived