Hello Klei can we please have more Achievements?

I have been wanting to create this thread for quite a while now but I wanted to make sure that before ANYONE here on the forums discredits my knowledge of being able to discuss the topic- I had to reach Platinum in both games first (it wasnt an easy task!)

54444C58-E439-4053-9EC7-CD860E2C2586.thumb.jpeg.4b891af9d9ab4939c8e745136cc5820b.jpeg

B3E3D9EA-382B-433D-9A42-BB4F81DE6C5C.thumb.jpeg.e1801d09a315d9bdab6a478077155df9.jpeg

Now let me just state that for the Record I am NOT what you would consider an Achievement Junkie... I do not actively seek them out in every game I play and in fact: there are many I have 0 or 1 achievements for- The games that reach Platinum Status (getting all the achievements in the game) are Special to me, they have to be games I have sunk MASSIVE amounts of entertainment into, and games like that you’ll get most of these achievements for by just playing and enjoying the game.

I get why Klei hates the thought of Achievements but just hear me out please, Achievements can get players to do things or engage with content that they may not even be aware even exists at all..

For example adding a new one titled “Strange New Land” could tell players to sail out and find Lunar Island.

Its a way of helping players discover content in the game without making a bright neon flashing sign that says “Go this Way.”

Having completed both DS and DSTs achievements makes me very sad when I realize all the content in BOTH games that I haven’t done yet- like for example: Unlocking Woodlegs, Wilbur, Or Wilba in DS, or Killing the Crab King or FuelWeaver in DST.

The games I play such as State of Decay 2, Rainbow Six Siege and extra especially SMITE- get updated all the time and with those updates comes new Achievements.

I would love it (considering how drastically DST has changed over the course of the past two years) if new ones for me to conquer were added sometime in the future.

Thank You! :love_heart:

I tho on doing a similar thread a long time ago. Then I tho why nobody else have done it before. Now I read Klei didn't wanted to add but Sony kinda force them to do it to release DS.

I was hoping to see sometime trophies related to defeat fuelweaver and such new bosses where added later.

Would be nice. But I doubt the majority of console players would unlock them anyway. The percentage on some of the achievements are so low its baffling. I'm not gonna put all of them but lets just say only 4% of the xbox playerbase has defeated deerclops. And about 8% survived 35 daysimage.thumb.png.52ea86d5c7c21dd7a1a0fb9307dcfda8.png.image.thumb.png.cd2899b3c2ba674239bffbdbf7f8fb5b.png

ok, i really understand why dont starve dont have achivements on steam

personal sad story at spoiler:

Spoiler

when i played with my friend (the one i gave my extra copy), he was always asking what is the goal of the game and i gave him instructions, but he wasnt getting the point of it.

he eventually said if we need to survive the most time as possible, its just to stay in a corner and do nothing dangerous. (i was screaming internally "that is not how it works!!!").

the point is: he wanted instructions, i gave it. he found the game boring and abandoned it, now i play alone. :(

my real question is why ONI has achivements if they are harmful? 

5 minutes ago, VouMorrer said:

-snip-

I had the same issue. I kept telling my friends what to do, but at one point I told them "just do whatever". At first they felt lost, but now they are finding their ways to get busy... well... at least one of them did. The other still can't do much without some clear instruction.

Btw, ONI has achievements because you can't just sit on your butt there. You have to keep doing something if you want your colony to survive.

14 minutes ago, VouMorrer said:

my real question is why ONI has achivements if they are harmful? 

Maybe because is a different game, where people finds most nerdy ways to construct most effective sour gas boilers, most effective starvation farming, drowning chambers, gas containers, engines... 

2 hours ago, VouMorrer said:

ok, i really understand why dont starve dont have achivements on steam

personal sad story at spoiler:

But they would have not liked the game anyway, with or without achievements. Not implying you treated your friends bad, but you could have worded it differently. Like, the objective of the game being surviving or exploring. And you do so by setting short term goals to accomplish bigger ones.

For instance:

- Gather basic resources.

- Find steady supply of food.

- Survive first hound wave.

- Prepare for first winter.

And so on all the way to the most advanced content. There may be several world resets in between (though Endless is nice for people starting out).

People dont generally look at achievements on how to play (unless they are going for 100% runs, but those are something else entirely). The average player will just play the game (either wing it or look stuff up) and choose whether to keep or stop playing if they have enjoyed it so far.

27 minutes ago, Owlrus said:

Wasn't part of the reason why they didn't want to add achievements is because they didn't want to imply a playstyle? I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I can also see it from a different perspective as well.

I don’t know, I just know that the games already had achievements- some of which were laughable easy, some of which required playing with other players who just join the world and giving them high tier loot after having been alive yourself for over 20 days, (not an easy task when your also a noob) and some of them required fighting fearsome bosses like Dragonfly.

Achievements have come a long way since Klei’s original perception on them (and ONI having them means their stance on not including them had changed as well)

I just play a lot of other games that get free updates that when the game is updated also adds new achievements to unlock- SoD 2 for example just got 4 new ones for playing on the new Lethal difficulty.

And since Klei literally just released Hamlet this year for console players DS Solo could use Hamlet related achievements and since DST has been getting monthly updates- DST especially even more so than DS Solo should get new Achievements.

A few of my own examples of Return of Them/Rework related achievements-

“Pearls Pearl”- Return a item of significant meaning to a lost heart still searching for its significant other.

”Ectoherboligest”- As Wendy, Craft 300 of each type of Potion for Abigail.

”Raging Seas”- As Willow, go insane while out at sea and have Bernie wreck 15 TerrorClaw for you.

“Ancient Food, Hospitality & Decor”-  Cook food in the Ancient Kiln, Kill the Ancient Guardian & find the Ancient Library Archives in a single gameplay session.

“It’s my favorite!” Eat the favorite food dish as every playable character.

I strongly feel like there could be new achievements added to DST- In relation to BOTH the newer content introduced with Return of Them & Character Reworks and QoL Updates, AND  with already existing content that has been part of the game for years that people just don’t explore very often.

5 hours ago, Truffle said:

image.thumb.png.52ea86d5c7c21dd7a1a0fb9307dcfda8.png.image.thumb.png.cd2899b3c2ba674239bffbdbf7f8fb5b.png

The Supreme High Quality of these is just eye candy

Anyways, when it comes to achievements it can end up as a double edged sword where people consider being done with the game once they are done with the Achievements. With a game like DST which is basically a sandbox there is no being 'done' with the game

2 hours ago, Owlrus said:

Wasn't part of the reason why they didn't want to add achievements is because they didn't want to imply a playstyle? I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I can also see it from a different perspective as well.

I think the reason achievements were never added to Don´t Starve might be similar to why "the quest system" was removed. According to the old Don´t Starve - Fast Facts video the quest system was removed, because players would stop playing after they´ve completed all of the quests. So the developers might have feared that achievements would yield the same results. As to why they weren´t added into Don´t Starve Together, I have no clue, probably the same reason as why everyones name in the game starts with a W.

19 minutes ago, Paribean said:

I think the reason achievements were never added to Don´t Starve might be similar to why "the quest system" was removed. According to the old Don´t Starve - Fast Facts video the quest system was removed, because players would stop playing after they´ve completed all of the quests. So the developers might have feared that achievements would yield the same results. As to why they weren´t added into Don´t Starve Together, I have no clue, probably the same reason as why everyones name in the game starts with a W.

Except that there ARE Achievements for both DS AND DST already.. (as seen in the pictures in my top post) So at this point: Adding MORE could only help extend the life of the game for those people who only play for achievements then stop playing.

(The Steam version may not have them due to the ability to use console commands and Mods & instead of creating a way to check if players “cheat” getting them, Klei instead opt’d to just not include them altogether.)

For Console players we have no way to install mods or use Admin commands and most (if not all) Playstation and Xbox games come with achievements.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Except that there ARE Achievements for both DS AND DST already.. (as seen in the pictures in my top post) So at this point: Adding MORE could only help extend the life of the game for those people who only play for achievements then stop playing.

(The Steam version may not have them due to the ability to use console commands and Mods & instead of creating a way to check if players “cheat” getting them, Klei instead opt’d to just not include them altogether.)

For Console players we have no way to install mods or use Admin commands and most (if not all) Playstation and Xbox games come with achievements.

Klei was never planning on adding achievements to the console version, they added them just because they were a requirement. And either way adding more achievements or not, they´re going get completed anyway, and what then ? When the game´s technically completed, there´s no real incentive to play.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Achievements have come a long way since Klei’s original perception on them (and ONI having them means their stance on not including them had changed as well)

No, Klei's opinion on achievements didn't change, DST and ONI are two completely different games. The devs aren't against achievements, but against achivements in DST. It's a game where you should explore and learn stuff for yourself with no hand-holding, unlike ONI, where you get a lot of info and guidance through the UI. See Klei's article and the video posted above.

DST has achievements on the consoles only because they were forced to add them, otherways they couldn't have released the game there.

Fair enough I guess, but I’ve personally never played a single game on Xbox 360 and Xbox One that didn’t have achievements.

Now An Achievements purpose.. is ENTIRELY up to the developers- Landing a 300 Hit combo in Batman Arkham Knight without using any of Batman’s gadgets & without getting hit to trigger one of the games few actual BOSS fights as an Easter Egg is one example of a clever Achievement to tell people to do something they otherwise wouldn’t have ever done.

A more Mischievous way is to tell players to build a Shrine and Activate it 750 times in a Row >.> 

Achievements can be a way of getting players to do something they otherwise wouldn’t have ever done, It can also be a way to introduce players to content they may have never done without a achievement that hints at HOW they should do it.

Without being on PC and being able to see the In’s and Outs of the game, and Without looking up everything on a Wikipedia page they can be used as a way of for example saying Pearl exists out there somewhere.. go find her!

And on Xbox (not sure about PC or Steam) once a player unlocks an Achievement they also are rewarded with a cool picture that can be used as their consoles Home Screen menu, my personal favorite for DST is this one:

Spoiler

9AE26C9F-C467-4B19-97B3-7AC838893C57.thumb.jpeg.e41f76d31a32f05522d01775425232ad.jpeg

And then there are also SOME games where doing the achievements for that will also unlock exclusive cosmetics for the player to use. (Like for example on their Xbox Avatar) 

https://www.gamesradar.com/the-26-best-avatar-awards-and-how-to-get-them/

People who didn’t want to do achievements aren’t going to do them anyway, but for people who only played the game for achievements.. adding more to the already existing ones would only extend the life of the game for them.

Then Theres Me.. who will continue playing regardless of completion of both games, but realizing all the content I have not done yet across BOTH games, opens my eyes to just how many more achievements the game could have.

Now I’m personally not one of them: But there are a group of players who are labeled as Achievement hunters, these people ONLY play games FOR the Achievements.. and well it should be fairly obvious that if DST has more that those players would at least pick up and play the game long enough to knock it off their list.

Klei could then pull a SMITE move and continue adding new ones with each update :lol: I think Smite is now at like 3000 points worth of Gamerscore?

If remember correctly; Klei doesn't really likes achievemnts, like, the system of achievements i guess, they added achievements to console version so sony would let them release the console port 

image.png.0e91463b63da9f52c2bd38bc55109ffa.png
it even says on the wiki :v

Archived