[Poll] Which characters DON'T you like?

A friendly reminder: they're all murderous, don't be sorry!  

379 members have voted

1. 1. Which characters DON'T you like?

• Wilson
    • Willow
    • Wolfgang
    • Wendy
    • WX-78
    • Wickerbottom
    • Woodie
    • Wes
    • Maxwell
    • Wigfrid
    • Webber
    • Winona
    • Warly
    • Wortox
    • Wormwood
    • Wurt
    • Walter
    • Mod characters
    • I like them all and I would hug every one of them :3

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

For me it is Warly, I just can’t seem to like a cooking character.. it’s just not fun. Maybe I’ll eventually warm up to him but for now he’s gotta easily be my least favorite character in the entire game followed closely by Wes- But Wes was perfectly fine and balanced in Solo DS, it’s only in Multiplayer that he becomes a waste of resources.. 

Hey whoa man. Nah I'm just playing, but at least Warly always makes me feel as though I'm on vacation in the Caribbean. Wes can be a drain on resources on multiplayer but seems more so the trolls pick him to do that. It is funny to watch a true and tried Wes main join, not see him once then he emerges from where ever in winter time carrying FW's  skull as a chalice. 

I mainly took this question as "which characters do I not like playing with"

And for that I chose WX, Wolfgang, and Wes... 

WX is because of his selfish playstyle and how "new player friendly" he is... But said new players hear that he can eat gears to get stronger, so as soon as they join, all they ask is "do you guys have any gears??". And it's not much better with advanced players because again.. he is an inherently selfish character, and doesn't really provide anything.

While Wolfgang and Wes on the other hand are only because of their faster hunger drain, and because of my playstyle where I mostly just build rather than gathering food... Their hunger drains empty our fridges fast. Now of course they can get their own food and then everything will be A-OK. But not everyone does.

Spoiler

And sure... I guess being a "tank" or dealing more damage is SOMETHING they provide... But it's not strictly limited to them. Anyone can tank in a way with a marble suit. And despite what some people say.. combat isn't the most important part of the game.

6 hours ago, Sapientis said:

Edit: Ah yes, I forgot Wurt can build houses for aggressive and territorial Merms near base, I actually don't play on publics that much...

i've never seen a single wurt do that. heck, i have only seen one wurt try building outside of the swamp and she put her merms inside of a walled-off area about two screens away

as for who i dislike most? well, my grievances are small so most is really on a short scale with the best and the worst pretty close together;

the first char i have an issue with is wendy. her personality is so lacking and rote that is cannot help but be discouraged, the "i am a suffering teen who has seen the black hole that is at the center of this candy-coated world" shtick is really poor story-telling and really dishonest about the actual pain of loss. she's all edge and her one or two moments of humanity is simply too little. she is also much too easy to play and the game is really boring with her. most of the labor is done by abigail. the only time i have ever been bored with the game was when playing as wendy which is pretty ridiculous

the second is wigfrid. i confess i only played her once time for a few hours but when playing as her the whole game is shifted around to the point where i am not even playing the don't starve that i sank so many hundreds of hours into. the subtle nuance of the world balance and my precarious place in it is lost as it just becomes a whack-em style adventure game where death is the goal and i am aiming for a high score. a fair bit of the game is blocked off from me mentally when my focus is directed so effectively at one aspect of the game

the third and last char is woodie. it would have been wolfgang, and for sure when i voted i did pick wolf but whereas wolfgang is a mixbag of good and bad features in sore need of a rework i, on reflection, do actually like the char i just dont like his playstyle. no, the reason i picked woodie instead is while is a fine character and he is fun to play with(though i have not tried "as" yet) i honestly keep forgetting he exists until i sit down and think about a full list of the characters or my friend who is a woodie main wants to chat/play. i think a char who makes so little impact that he is quite literally forgettable on the regular is fairly damning especially when the char is actually coupled with interesting things. the wereforms and their idols are charming, the talking ax is curious and the story behind him is worth wondering about, even his outfits are sometimes rather intriguing but somehow he still slips through the sieve of my mind without much struggle

5 hours ago, Erineyes7 said:

It's just a way of expressing himself and that's fine, he enjoys spending time on the forums like the rest of that and that is completely okay, simply giving a reaction to something is by no means bad.

While it's okay to express yourself, unless you want to add something to the topic, there is already a tab that you can use when wanting to express yourself but not add much to what was said:
image.png.fee55622840be571ddcae86102b22b05.png
Single words, acronyms and some other things that don't add much to the topic end up clustering the thread.
I don't know about klei forum's guidelines, but some other forums like steam's forum have rules against that.

image.png.5c02c36247752666efcb86bdefb9e1a0.png

Although I don't agree with what x0-VERSUS-1y said and found it to be harsh... It's important to think about the forum's organization.

Is this question about who we dislike playing as or who we dislike as characters? You're going to get entirely different answers from me depending on which. I don't like playing as WX, for instance, but I'm always amused by killer robots. Although if you want someone I both dislike playing as and personality wise...

I don't like Wickerbottom. There, I said it. She's boring. Boring to play, boring personality, the only thing she has going for her is her skins.

Dividing up the rest, hm...

Characters I don't like playing as: Wolfgang, Wes, WX-78, Wormwood, Warly, Walter.

Characters I don't like the personality of: Wendy, Wortox, Woodie. Woodie especially I find off putting. I don't even know why. Something about him just doesn't sit well with me.

Mod characters are almost always awful with one or two exceptions.

11 minutes ago, Picklesaurus said:

there is already a tab that you can use when wanting to express yourself but not add much to what was said:

yeah i know there is but the word "POG"is used to express that you really really like something and in my opnion the "like" and the "big ups"reaction don"t really express that. i also try to add to the topic as best as i can when i can 

(klei should really add a spider POG reaction. it would honestly be the best reaction in the whole forums)

17 minutes ago, Picklesaurus said:

Although I don't agree with what x0-VERSUS-1y said and found it to be harsh... It's important to think about the forum's organization.

At the same time I agree with the organization of a forum. Really, no one should be offended or hurt by things said online. So he wasn't harsh imo, it could just be thoughts are conveyed. Sometimes I get annoyed when I see a certain person posting on every single post I look at, even when I used to ghost on an older account. 

Edit: Not that what they say is annoying but my point being it is the internet. We all get annoyed by trivial things at times, even if they don't make much sense to anyone but ourselves.

So I'm not derailing this topic either, on a flip side one of the characters I enjoy/main the most is Willow. I think the references towards her and the implications of who or what she is are rather interesting.(I only wear my tin-foil hat every now and then). While characters like Wendy, as a certain Mime has said, is just too generic. She in my humble opinion could have been more fleshed out to have more...I'm not exactly sure. Sympathy? Pity? Quite hard to pin point what I intend to mean. But overall it could have been better then just "Edgy emo teen".

30 minutes ago, Picklesaurus said:

Single words, acronyms and some other things that don't add much to the topic end up clustering the thread.

so people saying the words "+1" should also be considered clustering from that logic right?because a lot of people like to say the words "+1" to convey the reaction and opinion to something just like how i use the words "POG"to convey my opinions and reactions

2 minutes ago, stranger again said:

so people saying the words "+1" should also be considered clustering from your logic right?because a lot of people like to say the words "+1" to convey the reaction and opinion to something just like how i use the words "POG"to convey my opinions and reactions

It is listed right there in steam forum rules as spam. So, yeah probably.

I don't like Walter and it's because I think his inclusion was pretty unnecessary. All of his stats/perks or whatever are all mishmashed together to create a confusing character. Is he supposed to be a ranged character? Why doesn't he 'care about fashion' and why is he allergic to bees??? The losing sanity depending your health is pretty bad too.

Other than Walter, I'm not a fan of Wurt, but Wurt actually has a coherent playstyle and perks.

7 hours ago, Paribean said:

Picked Wurt for being pretty much a waste of spools/money. I mean you can really just do most things that Wurt does as any other character, maybe even better (besides befriending merms). If you want to chop trees faster you already have Woodie and Maxwell for that, if  you want automatic farms you have Winona and Wickerbottom. If you like the downside of not being able to eat meat, well you can do that as any other character. If you want a cutesy character to play as there´s already Webber and Wormwood (don´t know why we need a third). Plus I find it kinda sad that a dst exclusive character has less team synergy then a single player character like Wormwood, you could argue that Winona doesn´t have much synergy either, but atleast her tape can be used on bernie thus having some synergy with Willow. Then you look at Wurt and what does she have ? Fish and the ability to waste Wicker´s books. Why people play Wurt is beyond me.

- If you want to have default speed modifier in your base: Wurt
- If you want to survive 4 days without the need of fire in winter and icebox/endothermic fire in summer: Wurt
- If you want to sail, but drown a lot: Wurt
- If you like to use the swamp as your hound attack / deerclops protection: Wurt sounds good.
- If you find wormwood's disability to heal from foods hard and Webber not so cute: Wurt
- If you play for the fashion or like to alternate between your characters based on how they feel/look: sometimes Wurt

I hope you find at least some of the reasons not beyond you anymore.

10 minutes ago, Pinyaps said:

and why is he allergic to bees???

Why is anyone allergic to bees? Nevertheless, I agree with the point.

8 hours ago, Paribean said:

Picked Wurt for being pretty much a waste of spools/money. I mean you can really just do most things that Wurt does as any other character, maybe even better (besides befriending merms). If you want to chop trees faster you already have Woodie and Maxwell for that, if  you want automatic farms you have Winona and Wickerbottom. If you like the downside of not being able to eat meat, well you can do that as any other character. If you want a cutesy character to play as there´s already Webber and Wormwood (don´t know why we need a third). Plus I find it kinda sad that a dst exclusive character has less team synergy then a single player character like Wormwood, you could argue that Winona doesn´t have much synergy either, but atleast her tape can be used on bernie thus having some synergy with Willow. Then you look at Wurt and what does she have ? Fish and the ability to waste Wicker´s books. Why people play Wurt is beyond me.

Pigs dont follow you at dusk and are much weaker

Bunnies arre strong but only for fighting

Nice downside

I voted based on what I think of the characters lore wise, and I went with Wurt, Wormwood, and Wortox. I don't really find any of the non-human characters that aren't WX and Webber to be particularly interesting. It's not that I think they're bad characters, but they have very little baring on the actual story. They're just kinda there, only helping the other survivors just because. Admittedly, I do have a bit of a soft spot for Wortox because he was stuck in unimplemented hell for so long.

6 hours ago, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

I am surprised there are not more people hating on willow cause of all the trolls lol.

Probably because people are beginning to realize that anyone can make a torch.
Anyone who says "willow mains are all trolls" has never seen a Willow main.
Because people who MAIN Willow are actually helpful and play the game.

And from personal experience. I have never seen a Willow burn down anything, it has always been from some other character who has crafted a torch to troll.
And I myself have never been kicked from a world just because I play Willow

I was surprised to see Walter voted so high. What is it about pine boy that you don't like? :apologetic:

After reading a bit, the most common reason is that he feels both out of place and all over the place, which I can agree with. Compared to other characters, he has a lot going on with him that isn't all very defining.

I personally like his character specifically because of those traits. To me, he feels less like a perfect addition to fit the ranged category and more like an actual complex human character that just happens to have a ranged weapon. His out-of-place quirks are what makes him much more interesting than, say, Wolfgang, who has nothing going on with him and is the perfect example of a character that exists just to fit the combat category. 

4 hours ago, DarkPulse91 said:

Probably because people are beginning to realize that anyone can make a torch.
Anyone who says "willow mains are all trolls" has never seen a Willow main.
Because people who MAIN Willow are actually helpful and play the game.

And from personal experience. I have never seen a Willow burn down anything, it has always been from some other character who has crafted a torch to troll.
And I myself have never been kicked from a world just because I play Willow

i've seen more wendy or wilson trolls than i have willow ones, though i dont see a lot of willows so maybe that has a bit to do with it.

16 hours ago, DarkPulse91 said:

I mainly took this question as "which characters do I not like playing with"

I treat this question more of an overall attitude towards a character. I don't mind it being understood in different ways because there are many factors that build our feelings. For example if you don't like a person you'd probably don't like to be in one group or place with them and there's a high chance you wouldn't enjoy being them.

16 hours ago, gaymime said:

i've never seen a single wurt do that

Me neither, I just understand someone could have faced such behaviour and might bear a grudge towards Wurt players.

15 hours ago, Monkey Cups said:

Is this question about who we dislike playing as or who we dislike as characters? You're going to get entirely different answers from me depending on which. I don't like playing as WX, for instance, but I'm always amused by killer robots. Although if you want someone I both dislike playing as and personality wise...

The question is simply about one's attitude towards a character in Don't Starve. Albeit WX-78 is The Soulless Automaton you'd normally like you might still despise him because of playerbase that pick him.

I am aware people may approach this question differently, but I don't mind that. If someone checks a character under a question "Which characters DON'T you like?" they probably have a reason behind it. It's just about positive or negative feeling that you emotionally link with given character.

I don't like Wickerbottom. There, I said it. She's boring. Boring to play, boring personality, the only thing she has going for her is her skins.

She gets quite boring after a couple of days, but she's got a vast arsenal of unique books which are very versatile. Regarding her personality she's a knowledgeable and rigorous woman, perhaps a little bitter about her life, but what about Wilson for example? He's an unsuccessful and unskilled scientist. Also he grows beard. wow

Mod characters are almost always awful with one or two exceptions.

I decided to add this answer to see how much people actively HATE mod characters. I usually don't play with such mods, but I did play some mod characters in the past and I enjoy the possibility to have them in game. If I don't want to play with/as mod characters I don't play on such worlds, but I still don't have strong negative feelings towards them.

15 hours ago, stranger again said:

yeah i know there is but the word "POG"is used to express that you really really like something and in my opnion the "like" and the "big ups"reaction don"t really express that. i also try to add to the topic as best as i can when i can 

(klei should really add a spider POG reaction. it would honestly be the best reaction in the whole forums)

As much as I value whatever anyone has to say, you were the one to rebuke people, including me, about talking about Edgy Rick as being off-topic comments. Arguing about what is and what is not littering threads under completely mismatching question seems hypocritical :|

Edit:
There is "GL Happy" emote which matches excitation of your "POG".
"Big Ups" seems more of a sad emote with a Dupe kissing their fist and beating their chest with it. They also have a sad face on that emote. Also I found @gaymime saying this "the original animation it came from is a 'raise a glass for a fallen friend' kind of gesture at a grave", so I don't think it shows excitement or hype.

15 hours ago, stranger again said:

so people saying the words "+1" should also be considered clustering from that logic right?

+1

13 hours ago, Mx-Pain said:

Why Winona is 2nd place xD ?

I guess it's because apart from her personality there's not much to like.
After she's built her structures and manufactured her Trusty Tape playing her is pointless.
I personally love Winona's character, but I do believe she should get another loving update.

I don't personally hate any characters, but if I had to pick one... Wolfgang and Wickerbottom are kinda boring to play as and forgettable to me, even though I think the general idea and their designs are super good. I'm bad at playing but Wolfgang is just absurd. I still don't think any character is bad per se, especially considering Klei is reworking and still exploring the lore of most of these characters, personality-wise they're all charming and unique in their own way, but that's just my opinion.

i was surprised to see little votes for Wormwood when there's so many people who call him useless and awful. Also why do so many people hate Walter? He's just a boy with his dog :(

49 minutes ago, Sapientis said:

As much as I value whatever anyone has to say, you were the one to rebuke people, including me, about talking about Edgy Rick as being off-topic comments. Arguing about what is and what is not littering threads under completely mismatching question seems hypocritical :|

is it hypocritical?i don't know.can someone check?

also saying the word POG isn't off topic because its still is a reaction to something in the thread.also what was the mismatching question? i can't remember.

i'd like to think im right in this situation but i easily be wrong.so is clustering bad?because from what i've seen the answer is a no unless its heavy spam because ive said POG quite a lot on these forums and none of the moderators seemed to care so is clustering bad on these forums?

but as to not be off topic 

i love all the characters not matter how bad they are.they are all great in my heart 

Archived