[Game Update] - 443039

49 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

I still vehemently propose that it requires at least one more living log and some additional 3rd material like Nitre or Guano to at least resemble a book, matching the recipe scheme of other books.

Um, Applied Horticulture was always (and still is) the only book that required 3 different materials. All the other books require 2. 

• Like 2
  • Sanity 1

3 hours ago, Ohan said:

Um, Applied Horticulture was always (and still is) the only book that required 3 different materials. All the other books require 2. 

Oh right, apparently; shows how much I know about Wicker or any other deemed OP character :P Still, I think Silviculture deserves the 3 recipe treatment like horticulture; it's the single book that nerfing of which made people grab torches and pitchforks and take it to the streets.

• Potato Cup 1

3 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

the recipe couldve been something like 1 rotten egg, 1 living log and 2 papyrus. Or super growth formula or the new compost. But honestly i dont think its that much of a game breaking thing. Stacks of twigs and grass arent gonna 1 shot fuelweaver or toadstool. Its purely a convenience thing. You can run around Dfly desert and get as much in a day. Instead of doing that the book requires reeds and a living log and a bunch of sanity. 

If the 'most dedicated' players of the playerbase who spend thousands upon thousands of ingame days on the same server want this silly little convenience thing i say let them have it lol. 

A majority of the 1,5k hours i have in DST ive played as Wickerbottom and i barely used applied horticulture in that way. The most ive actually used it has to be on public servers where i was trying to feed a lot of hungry mouths. 

I hope this whole mess can be put to rest now lol (until the dawning of the day of wickerbottom rework :shock:

Edited by Ohan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2020 at 1:14 AM, ScottHansen said:

Applied Horticulture
We initially reduced the effects of Applied Horticulture to be more suited for the farming rework, however after your feedback, we re-evaluated it's effect on long term base builders and end-game players. In response, we have decided to republish Applied Horticulture as two separate books. The fist book, Applied Silviculture will cover your basic resource needs while the second book, Horticulture, Abridged, will grow all things edible. Judging by their covers, they look like a good read.

Changes

• [...]
  • Replaced Applied Horticulture with Applied Silviculture and Horticulture, Abridged. (Character strings are still being implemented)

Bug Fixes

• [...]
  • Renamed the Luxury Garden Hoe to Splendid Garden Hoe

Splendid! You did this much better than I would have guessed! Eat that, haters!

And a pro tip from me, as code for OLD Applied Horticulture isn't changed with two separate NEW books, go to your nearest bookshop on swamp and get yourself some of those 1st edition copies as they aren't changed (at least for now) and they combine limitless growth for all plants plus 1st edition is still cheaper than two-volume reprint ;)

Added a healing over time buff to the Compost Wrap

Friends!

Wes can no longer talk to plants

"..."

I guess he probably deserves that?

Edited by Sapientis
Splendid!
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SinancoTheBest said:

I think Silviculture deserves the 3 recipe treatment like horticulture

I don’t personally see why it would. All of the other old books are cheaper then it (STS takes 2 fuel, end is nigh is a red gem, birds of the world is 2 eggs). And besides, it’s far more costly then the old 1 seed 1 manure recipe it was as well.

You likely are not going to make the book early game without sacrificing other things either. Do you want to make 6 books for resources, or make a shadow manip/ancient staffs? The book seems more focused at lategame where you have an abundance of living logs, which I’m okay with. It’s hard enough to sacrifice making some things for the sake of resources, but easy enough to where in the endgame you can use them without having to grind for a large amount of time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sanity 1

another update and again no farm plots to see again i just cant give up on my balance ideas on how both farm types can work at the same time
the farm plot can only grow random seeds but it just grows on its on fast and dont need much to do more and cant start rotin and the farm field is to grow all types of seeds random and known ones but it takes longer and you need to do more things for it but if your good at that you get more from 1 plant i mean ocean fishin dit not replace pond fishin it gaves you more options to get fish both whit ups and downs so thats why i think both farms sould be there both have ups and downs and both are options for farmin and alsol about the lord of the fruit flies i think he sould only spawn if there are some rotin farm plants at all and not by healthy plants i alredy can see random players get scared about usin farms at all if they find out that a boss just plops into existing inside there healthy farm so thats why i think that he sould only spawn at rotin farms

3 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Oh right, apparently; shows how much I know about Wicker or any other deemed OP character :P Still, I think Silviculture deserves the 3 recipe treatment like horticulture; it's the single book that nerfing of which made people grab torches and pitchforks and take it to the streets.

As Maxil20 has said, the main problem is to feed the needs of a large community server. Most Wicker mains (and non mains too) complained about the nerf not because of the recipe, it is because of the affecting 10-plant thing. We wouldn't mind even if you make the recipe far more expensive and requiring rare items like the stuff you mentioned, actually I wouldn't mind even if Klei decides to cost Wicker like 15 hp + 30 hunger and the sanity penalty per read on top of all that. The problem we had is the area of effect in community servers. Now that have been put to rest, lets not snipe at each other like this.

• Health 1

• Developer
11 hours ago, KainMorgen said:

Could you please tell us how retrofitting will effect already existing Applied Horticulture books?

Existing Applied Horticulture books will remain and function as they did before the beta. Feel free to stock up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 2
  • Wavey 1
  • GL Happy 2

4 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

Existing Applied Horticulture books will remain and function as they did before the beta. Feel free to stock up.

As in, before the very first nerf of the book? Cause if yes, people really are going to stock up

• Like 1

I love the new and improved Wickerbottom.

Horticulture, Abridged offers 10 berries/30 juicy berries/30 stone fruit/10 crops in exchange for 1 seed and 1 manure, which is still a pretty good bargain, but nowhere as ridiculous as it was before. And Applied Silviculture is just expensive enough that it's not comfortably spammable in the early game, but still relatively cheap fro the end game.

Also, I don't see this in the patch notes, but the Tillweed Salve now only costs 4 Tillweeds to make, which is a definitely a significant improvement. I'm still not sure I can see myself using it, since you only have a 20% * 7.7% = 1.54% chance to get Tillweeds from a random seed and even lower chances of getting one randomly at the start of Autumn and Spring, meaning the only semi-reliable way to get Tillweed is via fruit flies.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

I'm still not sure I can see myself using it, since you only have a 20% * 7.7% = 1.54% chance to get Tillweeds from a random seed and even lower chances of getting one randomly at the start of Autumn and Spring, meaning the only semi-reliable way to get Tillweed is via fruit flies.

perhaps, but afterwards it will grow indefinitely, will it not? And it would be interesting seeing people make huge farm plots and farm LOTFF for forgetmelots and tillweeds for hp and sanity over time.

12 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

perhaps, but afterwards it will grow indefinitely, will it not? And it would be interesting seeing people make huge farm plots and farm LOTFF for forgetmelots and tillweeds for hp and sanity over time.

It will, but I am not sure how useful it will be by that point. Unless you are Wormwood, Warly or Wigfrid, you'll benefit more from the tons of +20hp crops you'll have by the time you summon the Lord of the Fruit Flies. And you would need to make a petal farm with homeless bees too to sustain the 4 petal requirement.

Honestly, I'm not gonna mind too much if they keep this as is though. After all, weeds are mostly meant to be undesirable and any benefit you can get from them is just a little "side bonus".

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

Reap what you Sow Beta Hotfix

Applied Horticulture
We initially reduced the effects of Applied Horticulture to be more suited for the farming rework, however after your feedback, we re-evaluated it's effect on long term base builders and end-game players. In response, we have decided to republish Applied Horticulture as two separate books. The fist book, Applied Silviculture will cover your basic resource needs while the second book, Horticulture, Abridged, will grow all things edible. Judging by their covers, they look like a good read.

Thank you Klei! You guys just keep doing the magic somehow. Can’t believe y’all resolved player feedback problems this nicely so quickly. I love you guys

• Like 1

Have you guys thought of giving Wormwood his Gorge perk? I feel like it'd be extremely fitting with how the new gardening system works.

Or maybe even make weeds "passive" while he's there, as in, make them not slowly kill the other plants?

Just some food for thought I guess.

• Like 1
  • Health 1