Farming 101 - Grow Like Never Before

5 minutes ago, Nickolai said:

This is what i learned on fertilizers. The more of the same crop you plant on one tile, the quicker it consumes nutrients and water.

Yeah, multiple crops consume more resources than single crops do. That kinda goes without saying. :P

On 11/27/2020 at 10:43 AM, ZombieDupe said:

This all sounds too complicated and not worth the effort. Not even ONI has this much specification for growing plants. Just gonna stick to eating meats, honey, cactus and mushrooms I guess. I like to get things in mass, not take care of a single tomato like it's a child. You will starve many times over before farming mechanics make any sort of sense.

You didnt even try

I get 60 dragon pies and arround 100 tomatoes in one harvest without doing anything far away of plating the seeds 

Stop giving feedback without trying the content, is confusing for the devs

Or make a little the effort. Is just childs math

On 11/27/2020 at 12:52 PM, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Now do this experiment, in tune with how old Veggie/Fruits Farms worked: plant first autumn a random batch of seeds, regardless of their season requirements. Pure random. Then ignore them, like within old system: no watering, no bothering with any nutrients intake. No "Happiness/Family/Killjoys" whatsoever taken into consideration. 0 Fertilization. NO input whatsoever after initial usage of a Hoe for digging and the actual planting of seed in hole. That's it!

What do I get after plants fully grow - assuming they even do that?

I repeat: like within the old system - plant and forget about. 0 tending whatsoever.

(hope the answer isn't "rot" because then we can't even talk about any type of efficiency, would be pretty self-revealing)

You can do the exact same in less space, wasting less resources and without the need of giving most of your production to the bird

Tell me both how, since non sense bunny farms get nerfed, you can farm this amount of healing and food in that few time with no effort (friendly fly tending plants and spring watering the crops) just making the holes and then hammering everything

I dont think is overcomplicate when you understand how it works. Its pretty simple and fun (being fun is more important than efficiency) 

If we talk about efficient, this new crops are actually pretty op. In 1 harvest i get healing for years. Anyways isnt about efficiency or only wolfgang will be played

Farming now is so fast and easy when it's a self-feeding farm. 

Disclaimer: Because of my OCD, I am using the Grid tiller mod. it made plot become a 4x4 tight and ORDER

image.thumb.png.495b1c49068c67e655bc99f8db455484.png

First row is for Spring

Second row is for Autum

Can't find a perfect 4-crop-combination for Winter and Summer.

4 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Tell me both how, since non sense bunny farms get nerfed, you can farm this amount of healing and food in that few time with no effort (friendly fly tending plants and spring watering the crops) just making the holes and then hammering everything

I dont think is overcomplicate when you understand how it works. Its pretty simple and fun (being fun is more important than efficiency) 

If we talk about efficient, this new crops are actually pretty op. In 1 harvest i get healing for years. Anyways isnt about efficiency or only wolfgang will be played

Simple: Kelp Fronds, Stone Fruit Bushes, and Lureplants (8 to 16 on a boat beside shore). And for good measure add in the mix 3-5 Bee Boxes. Passive food productions in high quantity over time unit - all in the span of a Flingo's radius, in a small corner, once more - beside shore. Will edit this post with some exemplification print-screens later. Meanwhile, doing a 4x4 tiles new farm and treating it as in old plots mechanic - aka plant random stuff purely randomly and totally forget about it, no input whatsoever, no adjacent consideration, none, nada, only coming back 10-15 days later (I mainly nomad), what I found was weeds and some plants, lowest production stage. Left furthermore, they all rot. Old Advanced Farms preserved forever their produce on plot, making also for nice aesthetic elements, none of which are now possible on the plots themselves. I repeat: I have the "set-and-forget" approach, am not tending anything. And with this approach, one gets sub-par results. Because I for one am not into this "complex farming simulator 1.0" game-in-game aspect, not my cup of tea. Not to mention, as a modest at-times sea dweller, I can't make farms on Ocean platforms anymore. Still in the end is ok-ish, as stated, I never was into plot-farming at any moment. But current engagement-required new mechanic is bothersome to people such as myself.

14 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Simple: Kelp Fronds, Stone Fruit Bushes, and Lureplants (8 to 16 on a boat beside shore). And for good measure add in the mix 3-5 Bee Boxes. Passive food productions in high quantity over time unit - all in the span of a Flingo's radius, in a small corner, once more - beside shore. Will edit this post with some exemplification print-screens later. Meanwhile, doing a 4x4 tiles new farm and treating it as in old plots mechanic - aka plant random stuff purely randomly and totally forget about it, no input whatsoever, no adjacent consideration, none, nada, only coming back 10-15 days later (I mainly nomad), what I found was weeds and some plants, lowest production stage. Left furthermore, they all rot. Old Advanced Farms preserved forever their produce on plot, making also for nice aesthetic elements, none of which are now possible on the plots themselves. I repeat: I have the "set-and-forget" approach, am not trending anything. And with this approach, one gets sub-par results. Because I for one am not into this "complex farming simulator 1.0" game-in-game aspect, not my cup of tea. Not to mention, as a modest at-times sea dweller, I can't make farms on Ocean platforms anymore. Still in the end is ok-ish, as stated, I never was into plot-farming at any moment. But current engagement-required new mechanic is bothersome to people such as myself.

i still prefering to check the farm every many minutes than harvest all you said and then cook them, atleast with nonwigfrid/wormwood characters

and still being more efficient that the old ones

edit: without taking care i mean

8 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

How/when are the bunny (oven) farms get nerfed?

39 minutes ago, hyiltiz said:

How/when are the bunny (oven) farms get nerfed?

Bonnylads loot table was adjusted (nerfed) to only drop one of the 3 specific items: 1x Carrot (37.5%), 1x Meat (37.5%) or 1x Bunny Puff (25%). No more 2x Carrots (100%), 1x Meat (75%) or 1x Puff (25%).

PS: it was modified via current "Reap what you Sow" Beta update.

5 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Simple: Kelp Fronds, Stone Fruit Bushes, and Lureplants (8 to 16 on a boat beside shore). And for good measure add in the mix 3-5 Bee Boxes. Passive food productions in high quantity over time unit - all in the span of a Flingo's radius, in a small corner, once more - beside shore. Will edit this post with some exemplification print-screens later. Meanwhile, doing a 4x4 tiles new farm and treating it as in old plots mechanic - aka plant random stuff purely randomly and totally forget about it, no input whatsoever, no adjacent consideration, none, nada, only coming back 10-15 days later (I mainly nomad), what I found was weeds and some plants, lowest production stage. Left furthermore, they all rot. Old Advanced Farms preserved forever their produce on plot, making also for nice aesthetic elements, none of which are now possible on the plots themselves. I repeat: I have the "set-and-forget" approach, am not tending anything. And with this approach, one gets sub-par results. Because I for one am not into this "complex farming simulator 1.0" game-in-game aspect, not my cup of tea. Not to mention, as a modest at-times sea dweller, I can't make farms on Ocean platforms anymore. Still in the end is ok-ish, as stated, I never was into plot-farming at any moment. But current engagement-required new mechanic is bothersome to people such as myself.

There are significant pros to the new crop mechanics that you will never have with a kelp or avocado farm, the most notable one being complete immunity to smoldering, meaning you can make as many farm plots as you want without worrying about flingos; even the careless red hound death isn't all that concerning since these are seeds rather than the same plant you harvest over and over. 

Once you look into it, the new farming mechanics aren't hard to understand at all. 
- There are 4 crop growth stages and 6 possible plant stressors, for a maximum of 24 stress points
- Take care of at least 3 of these stressors to get a crop and seed back; take care of at least 5 stressors to get 2 seeds back; take care of all of them to get a giant crop; if you take care of none, you'll still get the crop but no seeds
- The 6 stressors are: nutrients (the whole fertilizer system), water (is there water on the farm plot?), weeds (are there 2 or more weeds nearby?), season (is the plant in-season?), family (are there 3 of the same crop nearby?), and attention (did you talk to or play music for your plant?)
- Crop-specific seeds take 5-8 days to grow depending on number of stressors if they're off-season plants, and half that time if in-season
- Regular seeds take half the time no matter what, and they're the only seeds that can grow weeds
- Grown crops take 4 days to rot (bit longer if giant crop), and picking them anytime before they rot will yield a fresh crop

So basically, for your particular playstyle, you have two options.

Option 1: Self-Sustainable, Minimal Engagement 
Once you have a set of crop-specific seeds, just plant them next to each other, water the farm plot 4-5 times, and be on your merry way, making sure to come back every 4 days to harvest and replant.
-  Water, Weeds, Season, and Family are taken care of at the very start; all you're ignoring is Fertilizer and Attention
- 2 stressors means you get your crop and a seed back to sustain that farm, and it grows a little bit quicker to boot
- Planting and watering is literally all that you're doing; nothing else

Option 2: Not Self-Sustainable, Almost No Engagement
Just plant whatever seeds you picked up off the ground, and be on your merry way; return every 4 days.
- You very likely won't get a crop-specific seed back, and some of those seeds will turn into weeds, but you will get free food for doing nothing but planting and picking up random seeds along your journey.

18 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

You didnt even try

I get 60 dragon pies and arround 100 tomatoes in one harvest without doing anything far away of plating the seeds 

Stop giving feedback without trying the content, is confusing for the devs

Or make a little the effort. Is just childs math

I ran through it multiple times and I don't like it. Am I allowed to not like it? Content being too complicated or obtuse is a valid reason to not like it or want to engage with it. I don't want to have to have a guide open for every aspect of the game.

29 minutes ago, FairyInABottle said:

I ran through it multiple times and I don't like it. Am I allowed to not like it? Content being too complicated or obtuse is a valid reason to not like it or want to engage with it. I don't want to have to have a guide open for every aspect of the game.

There's no downside to just planting seeds and letting them grow compared to the old method(in fact, you still get far greater yield); all the 'complicated' caretaking is just for people who want to focus on farming to get extra. 

1 hour ago, FairyInABottle said:

Ofc you are free to dont like it but saying that is overcomplicate when is only 3 numbers isnt totally true

1 hour ago, FairyInABottle said:

Ofc you are free to dont like it but saying that is overcomplicate when is only 3 numbers isnt totally true

2 hours ago, FairyInABottle said:

You are of course allowed to don't like. but saying "this content is too complicated" is not a opinion because this content is not complicated at all.

I mean nobody wants you to make a giant dragon fruit farm in day 11 ?

15 hours ago, FairyInABottle said:

Content being too complicated

At first, i thought so too. After give farming a try, i found out that i just like the old farm If you don't aim for Giant Crops, or event better, you see now 1 plot hold 9 seeds instead of 1, just made the plot, plant 9 random seed then leave and come back in 4 days or so, you still get crops like the old farm but more (best case 9 crops, worst case 9 weeds :D).

If you aim for Giant crops, it just complicated at first, but when you know the Crop-Combination the farm feed itself, all you need to do is play music (One-man Band, Beefalo Horn or Pan Flute), and water it (not if it's rain) on each growth stage.

I only farm in Spring and Autumn, but still can get all 14 crops, self-feeding and all giant.

Spoiler

Spring - 11 crops: Corn, Toma, Potato, Asparagus, Pomegranate, Egg, D.Fruit, Onion, Garlic, Durian, Watermelon

image.thumb.png.fd721cb24ddcbdc5fa2d63b01384ebed.png

Autumn - the last 3 crops: Carrot, Pumpkin, Pepper

image.thumb.png.9245f9998c3390773ed9337c82a7de52.png

With the Grid tiller mod that let you made a 4x4 plot

1rst Row is in Spring, 2nd row is in Autumn

image.thumb.png.2f9f7c501e7999e00110db39286ce49f.png

8 hours ago, mkemal23 said:

You are of course allowed to don't like. but saying "this content is too complicated" is not a opinion because this content is not complicated at all.

I mean nobody wants you to make a giant dragon fruit farm in day 11 ?

It is literally the dictionary definition of an opinion.

9 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

There are 14 plants with 7 variables each. Don't gaslight me.

Whatever, I got my confirmation. Opinions against get belittled. I can't be bothered anymore.

On 11/26/2020 at 5:58 PM, JosePapp said:

You actually can leave them, worst case scenario you just get the crop and no seeds i believe. Best case scenario you get giant crops

so if I don't keep nuterients up or talk and or water them they won't produce seeds?

and if it does do I have to tend to all three to get them producing seeds?

18 hours ago, FairyInABottle said:

It is literally the dictionary definition of an opinion.

There are 14 plants with 7 variables each. Don't gaslight me.

Whatever, I got my confirmation. Opinions against get belittled. I can't be bothered anymore.

Is ok, lad. It just means this new farming mechanic is not for people like us. KLei decided to go into a direction, both elaborating on the Survival field of farming (completely ignoring crops - the 4 days interval likewise - aside initial planting means you'll only and justly "Reap what you Sow" through one's crass carelessness, aka weeds/rot) and giving in to a tiny-yet-vocal minority desiring "more engaging but less resource-intensive" farming rework (kinda ironic though, considering the amount of fertilizers/growth formula variety and nutrients calculus ones needs to make), akin Gorge one. Both aspects require at least minimal involvement for minimal/modest success. Is ok to not fancy, then protest to ultimately move on if nothing comes out of it. Thus we can none but largely gloss over this next update and its plot-farming content, enjoying other aspects (decorations perhap). Not everything is to anyone's taste and no amount of "you only need to.." will change that.

However we can admire KLei's willingness to take risks even this far in DST's lifespan by changing core mechanics (no matter what the end outcome will be in bulk player-base) and trying to keep a consistency lid on DS/T lore plus how this advances with "Return of Them" - in current case how access to Ancients' Archives (previous update) made survivors discover new farming techniques with their inherent intricalities. A view angle.

3 hours ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

so if I don't keep nuterients up or talk and or water them they won't produce seeds?

and if it does do I have to tend to all three to get them producing seeds?

Not necessarily; nutrients are only 1 of 6 stressors that affect how your crops grow. You can still get seeds without ever fertilizing or watering your soil because you only need to take care of 3 stressors minimum to get a return on seeds; that said, the incentives to taking care of all 6 stressors are giant crops and faster growth time. 

If you don't take care of any stressor at all, you'll still get the crop but no seeds. If you want to know more about the stressors, I tried to simplify the crop happiness mechanics in an earlier comment on this page. 

Now, I have a question. How does underground farming work?

Do farms register seasons underground at all? As in, the seasonal desire and likelihood of certain plants?

Does the "rain" in Winter water crops?

Do farms require sunlight from either the star caller's staff or natural holes like the old variation still? If so do plants die with no sunlight for long periods of time?

I don't know if that's been asked or answered yet, but how often are nutrients consumed? I will choose potatoes as an example. Potatoes consume 2 manure (and 1 piece of manure gives 2), so if I want to grow 4 potatoes and nothing else on one tile, do I need to give it 4 manure (one for each plant's entire growth cycle) or 16 (one for each stage of every plant)? If it's 16, then it's absurd. If it's 4, can I dump all 4 at the start and not have to fertilize it anymore until it finishes growing?

9 minutes ago, SonicDen220 said:

I don't know if that's been asked or answered yet, but how often are nutrients consumed? I will choose potatoes as an example. Potatoes consume 2 manure (and 1 piece of manure gives 2), so if I want to grow 4 potatoes and nothing else on one tile, do I need to give it 4 manure (one for each plant's entire growth cycle) or 16 (one for each stage of every plant)? If it's 16, then it's absurd. If it's 4, can I dump all 4 at the start and not have to fertilize it anymore until it finishes growing?

The latter. That's why self-sustaining setups are significantly better than solely using fertilizer. As of now, fertilizer has the niche use of stabalizing nutrients of slightly imperfect combos. Essentially making them questionably useful early-game, but more ideal to replace later once you've acquired the necessary seeds.

The devs are aware of fertilizers position though, so we may see some tweaks eventually.

Archived