Why do we still have wooden armor?

A simple system of raw, refined metals and metal alloys could be put on DST.
By introducing iron and carbon, steel could be produced, with which weapons and armor decidedly superior to wood could be made.
Carbon could be obtained by refining coal or ash, and then casting it with iron through a foundry (similar to that of Hamlet.)
Exotic and fantastic materials could be added, such as adamantium or orichalcum; obtained through ancient meteorites or mines populated by golems and ancestral guardians. I'd love if a new endgame material were literally "degenerate matter", similar to that of neutron stars, ultra-compact matter capable of forging semi-indestructible armor; perhaps the result of an ancient "particle collider" which imploded on itself when in remote times THEY came and brought the ancients to disgrace. (Assuming THEY really did anything beyond watching.)

image.thumb.png.658ca8aa760645c313cf2775a6528110.png

4 minutes ago, SilverBisexual said:

Woodie would like to know your location

[Okay]                         [Okay]

Notre Dame, I work as a fantome of the cathedral full time. I steal the coins that are thrown into the fountain to beg for miracles. :]

2 minutes ago, babba said:

I have no clue of this game and never looked in to it, but Klei`s shared forum system and its users are great.

Ahhhhh NO! that simply will not do, you need to play it! It’s like 15$.. I think- Totally worth your money, I’ve paid 120$ + for what turned out to be pure and utter trash, THIS game is Worth your money’s worth. Trust me! Buy it, Support Klei!! And do so knowing that your purchase helps to directly fund all the amazing free updates the game continues to get.

As for the OPs topic- I Agree we should be using better Armor, but since Klei made Marble Armors cost only 6 marbles to craft now that’s the ONLY Armor I use, it’s easy to get hold of, durable as all hell and it takes only two ropes and 6 marble to craft. I managed to kill Dragonfly with only about 15 of these marble armors & 2 Pierogi’s 

Was it fun? That’s a discussion for another topic- but the point is Marble Armors are really really good now- And in fact I think Wood Armors could use less resources (down to like maybe only 1 ropes and 5 wood) otherwise.. Ditch wasting time on Wood Armors and just craft Marble ones!

Golden Armor however just sounds like a waste of gold.. :( 

Doesn't feel quite in touch with the game I think. Even playing Hamlet, the whole iron thing was just a small side add-on, and I never bother to use slowing armor bc I simply don't like it. 

Maybe I'm wrong, idk. I wouldn't be up to a whole metallurgy system in the game, I have no idea where you would even find the materials. I like the idea that when Maxwell created the world he went "what metals exist in the world? Ah, gold" and it's literally only material you can use to build anything related or using metal. 

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Ahhhhh NO! that simply will not do, you need to play it! It’s like 15$.. I think- Totally worth your money, I’ve paid 120$ + for what turned out to be pure and utter trash, THIS game is Worth your money’s worth. Trust me! Buy it, Support Klei!! And do so knowing that your purchase helps to directly fund all the amazing free updates the game continues to get.

As for the OPs topic- I Agree we should be using better Armor, but since Klei made Marble Armors cost only 6 marbles to craft now that’s the ONLY Armor I use, it’s easy to get hold of, durable as all hell and it takes only two ropes and 6 marble to craft. I managed to kill Dragonfly with only about 15 of these marble armors & 2 Pierogi’s 

Was it fun? That’s a discussion for another topic- but the point is Marble Armors are really really good now- And in fact I think Wood Armors could use less resources (down to like maybe only 1 ropes and 5 wood) otherwise.. Ditch wasting time on Wood Armors and just craft Marble ones!

Golden Armor however just sounds like a waste of gold.. :( 

Marble is just too powerful, I agree.
However, I would use steel armor with 90% protection as an alternative to thulecite. (with no movement penalty of course.)

1 hour ago, BezKa said:

Doesn't feel quite in touch with the game I think. Even playing Hamlet, the whole iron thing was just a small side add-on, and I never bother to use slowing armor bc I simply don't like it. 

Maybe I'm wrong, idk. I wouldn't be up to a whole metallurgy system in the game, I have no idea where you would even find the materials. I like the idea that when Maxwell created the world he went "what metals exist in the world? Ah, gold" and it's literally only material you can use to build anything related or using metal. 

Well, but I'm sure klei would be able to insert new materials with his unique and iconic style. On Hamlet, iron was obtained by striking with the pickaxe the Iron Hulk, perhaps on DST it could be obtained as a gift from an iron golem relegated to the underground; for example. The spirit of DST can be preserved and expanded with new materials, but there it is Klei's job to be creative :]

2 hours ago, babba said:

I have no clue of this game and never looked in to it, but Klei`s shared forum system and its users are great.

Buy it, buy it, DST is cheap and it could give you hundreds of hours of fun. Literally. ;)

I think the body armor balance is fine where it is.

The wood armor (log suit) is the only armor that can be crafted at any point, is easy to access, and has no cons.

All the others, if they are easy to access they have a Con:

Spoiler

-Marble: Makes you slow

-Nightarmor: Causes Insanity

-Grass: Too weak, both in armor and durability.

-Scaled: Causes fires

-Bramble: Tiny durability, not really meant to be used as an armor.

Or if they don't have a con, they are hard to obtain:

Spoiler

-Snurtle armor: Locked behind the RNG gods will, can't be crafted. (Lakhnish's method to mass farm them is very good, but requires late game amounts of gems to be a reliable source of armors. It also takes a lot of work to get them)

-Thulecite Armor: You need thulecite and having cleared at least partially the ruins, cant be crafted anywhere else.

- Bone armor: requires you to have defeated AG, Shadow Pieces, and Fuelweaver

7 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I think the body armor balance is fine where it is.

Wood armor is the only armor that can be crafted at any point, is essy to access, and has no cons.

All the others, if they are easy to access they have a Con:

Reveal hidden contents

-Marble: Makes you slow

-Nightarmor: Causes Insanity

-Grass: Too weak, both in armor and durability.

-Scaled: Causes fires

-Bramble: Tiny durability, not really meant to be used as an armor.

Or if they don't have a con, they are hard to obtain:

Reveal hidden contents

-Snurtle armor: Locked behind the RNG gods will, can't be crafted. (Lakhnish's method to mass farm them is very good, but requires late game amounts of gems to be a reliable source of armors. It also takes a lot of work to get them)

-Thulecite Armor: You need thulecite and having cleared at least partially the ruins, cant be crafted anywhere else.

- Bone armor: requires you to have defeated AG, Shadow Pieces, and Fuelweaver

The game has been complete and balanced since a long time. There is nothing fundamentally wrong inside DST, any additions are optional and unnecessary. We are talking about a game completed years ago after all.
So I know perfectly well that DST's armor system all in all works well (marble armor has perhaps become too cheap, but that's my thought.)
I think new armor and new materials could be added. After all, in an RPG, players love getting more and more powerful materials and customizing their gear.
DST isn't really a GDR, but it has some elements in common.
I remain of the idea that raw metals, refined metals, and alloys would be a nice addition to the game.

I always find stupid to making weapons from gold (which pure gold is really soft) and making iron items without iron (Like alchemy engine and icebox).
We dont need that much metal you say I think, that would make game terraria. But a metal for gamestart and a metal for endgame would be really cool. And i think gold should be removed from most of recipes and get change by copper/iron or whatever metal will it be. Just my opinion. Gold just make me feel like game is beta. I don't know why but like they didn't find what to use the gold and put it to the random recipes. Probably goldmechanics of hamlet is best thing in hamlet.

1 minute ago, Pop Guy said:

I remain of the idea that raw metals, refined metals, and alloys would be a nice addition to the game.

True, but I guess it wouldn't really come as a wood armor replacement, since wood armor represents the neutral armor.

A new armor would probably have to fit into one of the other 2 categories I mentioned , either having a penalty for using it, or hard to obtain.

Perhaps craftable only in the lunar station that the Crab king gives and with semi expensive materials, or maybe using it makes you hungry.

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I dont think metals refone fits the game

Also we have thulecite armor, night armor and marble armor that are less used when you get the bone armor

I personally loved several elements of Hamlet, including the iron and the smelting system with the foundry.
In my mind I imagined something similar for DST: super hard ingots of moon rocks + moon glass + gold + raw thulecite into smelter:

image.png.9771f0dcb1f2e74ec8b7e35e3da78c4d.png + image.png.0e99b94ea54f10e733a875e00255a4d5.png + image.png.6bd0bf8a41e2400315a837af8732da68.png + image.png.817eaef88c234d7e1ed4d6b5bb4903e9.png > image.png.f295a81a768fd82ee2cde107ee20ef0e.png > image.png.c1ee2cebe7a6bfff622172a31a8ee928.png  

The new material could have any fancy name; even simply "exotic matter" or "super hard mixture".

It could serve to build protection against new environmental threats of some rare endgame biomes: perhaps radioactive caverns or caves filled with corrosive vapors.
And all this without even bothering the need to insert new raw materials. (Which I'd be very happy about anyway.)

14 minutes ago, Pop Guy said:

I personally loved several elements of Hamlet, including the iron and the smelting system with the foundry.
In my mind I imagined something similar for DST: super hard ingots of moon rocks + moon glass + gold + raw thulecite into smelter:

image.png.9771f0dcb1f2e74ec8b7e35e3da78c4d.png + image.png.0e99b94ea54f10e733a875e00255a4d5.png + image.png.6bd0bf8a41e2400315a837af8732da68.png + image.png.817eaef88c234d7e1ed4d6b5bb4903e9.png > image.png.f295a81a768fd82ee2cde107ee20ef0e.png > image.png.c1ee2cebe7a6bfff622172a31a8ee928.png  

The new material could have any fancy name; even simply "exotic matter" or "super hard mixture".

It could serve to build protection against new environmental threats of some rare endgame biomes: perhaps radioactive caverns or caves filled with corrosive vapors.
And all this without even bothering the need to insert new raw materials. (Which I'd be very happy about anyway.)

i would only agree to this if it was a requirement to enter the those rare endgame biomes

32 minutes ago, Pop Guy said:

I wouldnt mind to have a "cookpot" for making new materials but no the exactly thing that hamlet has. That weapons and armor fits in that british place and time but i think are out of place in RoG map

Also was sad that klei didnt make more uses for the smelter... 

But still, woooden armor is great if all you have is logs and grass. Adding one new matearial to make stuff with, like copper or something could be cool. Not sure about an entire science class full though. Still, your knowledge of this stuff is impressive, to say the least.

To me DST has always had a crude, unwieldy or ruined aesthetic due to the contemporary knowledge of the people within the Constant and the chaotic conditions present.

Also, the progression between armors and tools is excellent as is.

Also, i think the concept of refined iron in hamlet was rather ill-executed considering that:

- only a few items could be made out of it like armor, halberds and lampposts and the like. What about iron tools, wiring, engines, and te like? 

- gold has already proven to be a metal that requires no smelting whatsoever and yet a source of tools and wiring thats more durable than usual. it could easily have filled iron's role

10 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

The game has been complete and balanced since a long time.

I completely disagree with this- Each brand new character update & Return of Them update has added game changing new content that until the Return of Them Update chain reaches its completion is very much technically considered as an Incomplete game.

I also Disagree with your statement of things being balanced for a long time- Character Reworks and Quality of Life updates have taken existing content you THOUGHT was Balanced & made it even better- Case in Point, Cheapened Cost of resources required for Tail’O’Cats, Removing Bunny Earmuffs from needing to learn at a Science Station and buffing their usefulness to help players survive should they choose to join a game mid-Winter.

17 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

A simple system of raw, refined metals and metal alloys could be put on DST.
By introducing iron and carbon, steel could be produced, with which weapons and armor decidedly superior to wood could be made.
Carbon could be obtained by refining coal or ash, and then casting it with iron through a foundry (similar to that of Hamlet.)
Exotic and fantastic materials could be added, such as adamantium or orichalcum; obtained through ancient meteorites or mines populated by golems and ancestral guardians. I'd love if a new endgame material were literally "degenerate matter", similar to that of neutron stars, ultra-compact matter capable of forging semi-indestructible armor; perhaps the result of an ancient "particle collider" which imploded on itself when in remote times THEY came and brought the ancients to disgrace. (Assuming THEY really did anything beyond watching.)

image.thumb.png.658ca8aa760645c313cf2775a6528110.png

Some high class sh!t post right here.

Archived