I Must bring this up AGAIN! -Hamlet and Shipwrecked

Official Hamlet and Shipwrecked content in DST  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Are you willing to support Shipwrecked and Hamlet to DST even financialy?(as DLC)

• Yes Klei! Of Course ASAP, PLEASE!
    • No, I think DS is fine as it is.

6 minutes ago, ryvrdrgn14 said:

If they make the PC requirements higher, just means less people will be able to play it. I know people who would quit entirely if the game requirements went up more. I don't see them buying a whole new PC just for DST.

it is a bit deeper than that. my work laptop fried(it was also my gaming laptop) and the one that replaced it has about 5 times the memory and was designed specifically for gaming but i still have lags and crashes because i sometimes butt up against the limitations of the game. more than a few times the game crashed because the game itself ran out of memory to play despite me having literal hundreds of gigs free.

I was always under the impression that part of the reason there is no SW in DST is partly due to the fact that Klei was not the only dev for SW. It was co-developed with Capy Games. 

I have no clue how the work load was split, but I would guess it was possibly more on Capy Games with Klei possibly being in more of an advisory role. I say this because obviously SW didn't receive nearly as much love as the rest of the DS lineup. On PS4 at least SW is still extremely buggy, and development on SW seems to be done, and it was done a long time ago.

And if Klei carried more of the workload on SW, development still ended quite a while ago.

Aside from that, adding SW to DST in pretty much any capacity would completely kill the current SW, and Capy Games would lose that revenue. I wouldn't be surprised to find out there was an agreement that prevented/prevents Klei from using SW/SW assets in DST.

Klei and Capy could theoretically team up again for a SW Together, but that assumes both companies would be open to that, and I would say Klei has a bit much on their plate already to lead such a venture.

Finally, when comparing SW to DST, SW is a relatively shallow adventure and there would need to be quite a bit of content added to justify making it a "Together" addition. And if it's a matter of adding SW assets to DST, Klei could just as easily create brand new assets that fit better into the current DST universe.

38 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

You can't fit Reign of Giants, Shipwrecked, and Hamlet all on one world. There's already people who have issues running the game (I've even seen people claiming they have trouble running it on console), and you're asking to essentially triple or quadruple the world size. That'd be miles more effort than making new content, and that'd also probably be harder to run than just adding more servers. Not to mention how it just wouldn't make sense or work at all and even then you'd still have to remove content like the volcano, ruins, houses, etc. Basically all of Hamlet.

Imagine if the rest of the world already had pig houses and you're saying not to move the pig king themed pig houses to the rest of the world. Then that argument would be comparable, and that argument would make sense.

The vast majority of the content in the DLCs is complete reskins (Dumbrella, snakeskin items, etc), extremely similar to existing content (Snakes, thatch pack, etc), or things that wouldn't fit in a Reign of Giants world (Ice maker, windbreaker, etc). The DLCs are fun because of their new mechanics. The DLCs are fun because of the completely new areas they add. The DLCs are fun for things that you wouldn't be bringing over in this sloppy port you're suggesting.

If you want to play SW & HAM, why not play SW & HAM instead of suggesting a terrible version be added to DST? Or just go play a terrible version mod? There's plenty on the workshop.

Do you really have to take everything i say out of context to make a point? I never asked for Klei to make the world bigger, there is a ton of sea area that is still unused.

"Not to mention how it just wouldn't make sense or work at all" Is that supposed to be an argument?

The DLCs use different skins than regular DST for most of it's content (you even said so yourself) so your altered pig house analogy is completely innacurate. Because the DST skins wouldn't be in these new biomes/islands.

You listed all the things as to why the DLCs are fun without actually posting an argument why you dont want them in DST, you're just automatically presuming that the port will be sloppy and terrible, you know, because Klei are known for sloppy programming right....?

As for your last remarks, did you miss the part where everyone said they want to play these DLCS with friends, and without having to host with a bunch of unstable mods? This is the reason the forum needs a facepalm reaction.

The only real valid reason not to merge DST with these DLCs is if the game's performance would just drop massively for everyone, but these so called "terrible version mods" that you mentioned pretty much demonstrate how that probably wouldnt be the case.

4 minutes ago, AlienMagi said:

Do you really have to take everything i say out of context to make a point? I never asked for Klei to make the world bigger, there is a ton of sea area that is still unused.

You think they're going to be able to fit two RoG sized worlds into that tiny ocean that can only at best fit a couple more islands? I said it would be pointless for them to add little islands and you said it wasn't going to be like that, it was "making it like it was in shipwrecked (or hamlet). Did you not enjoy the DLC?". Now you're going back to the little islands thing? You can't even stay consistent with what you want.

Rest of your comment is just as nonsensical.

10 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

You think they're going to be able to fit two RoG sized worlds into that tiny ocean that can only fit a few more islands? I said it would be pointless for them to add little islands and you said it wasn't going to be like that, it was "making it like it was in shipwrecked (or hamlet). Did you not enjoy the DLC?". Now you're going back to the little islands thing? You can't even stay consistent with what you want.

Rest of your comment is just as nonsensical.

You're confusing me with someone else lol, re-read the thread. I never mentioned any small islands or how big these additions should be.

But whoever said that was right because nobody said it should be RoG sized.

Also you're never gonna win a debate by using logical fallacies like strawman and the red herring. So far your only real argument against OP's proposition is that the DST world cap is too small, even though, again, nobody in the thread said how big they should be.

26 minutes ago, 1bubbainpa said:

Honestly, I would rather the development time go somewhere else. It seems like Klei would have to heavily invest in this development cycle for something that I could just boot up in 5 minutes on regular ds.

I think your missing the importance of WHY I want it to happen.. I want to be able to play those expansions in At the very least Two Player play... I don’t care if they do that by adding SW/Ham compatibility to DST, and I honestly don’t care if they did that by just updating single player DS to be able to be played with two player coop..

What I want is to be able to explore Shipwrecked and Hamlet themed biomes, mobs and content- But not have to be completely alone playing by myself in the process of doing so.

I should also heavily stress the fact that Klei has hinted heavily heavily hinted that the FUTURE of DST is Crossplay between platforms...

So the chances of this content happening one way or another are actually pretty high.

16 minutes ago, Skorne said:

If you count the spinoff DLCs, maybe it has more "stuff". But they're pretty much disconnected, separate worlds - the same thing in a different skin. DST is the actual continuation.

They are just as disconnected as the caves is to the surface. At least after you craft the thingamabobs to travel between them.

I prefer new content over old content. There are limits how long anybody is going to play Shipwrecked and Hamlet, and while most people already spent their decent time in DLCs, adding old content from DLC will be quite not worth efforts. I believe with time we will get much better and much less bugged things in DST. 

The fact is, maybe we will have some DLC in the future, who knows, but I think it has nothing to do with dst.

The most important thing is: dst is the future. I would rather klei fully develops dst. I look forward to the day when dst can also be connected across platforms. I look forward to playing with console players.

No one said it was happening in the near future, in fact I roughly estimate around 3 years give or take.. but if DST is going to be as big as I think it will someday be (please for the love of god don’t ask me how I know I just feel things okay?) NO I’m not psychic & I sure as heck can’t predict your futures for you.. but I know a good thing when I see it- And It may not be now, tommorow or even next year, but I promise you that someday the Dont Starve Franchise is going to be big. Much, much bigger then anyone could’ve ever predicted it to be- and sure It may not be at that point right now, but 5 years from now? Hell anything is possible by that time.

Just look at how DST looked and played in 2017 to how it looks and plays now in 2020.

I’ve voiced my opinion as to why I want it to happen, and how I think it MIGHT (only Klei knows if it actually is..) be possible to do Someday & I did those things without insulting other forum members are arguing with them.

So I will kindly ask that everyone please play nicely, and if you have an opinion on if this should happen, how you think it should be implemented or if you don’t want it to happen and why you don’t want it to happen, then please share them.. but don’t start name calling and arguing please.

Klei doesn’t need that kind of forum activity- what they need is to see what their players want and why they want it so they know where to focus their projects and steer their ship.

10 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

No one said it was happening in the near future, in fact I roughly estimate around 3 years give or take.. but if DST is going to be as big as I think it will someday be (please for the love of god don’t ask me how I know I just feel things okay?) NO I’m not psychic & I sure as heck can’t predict your futures for you.. but I know a good thing when I see it- And It may not be now, tommorow or even next year, but I promise you that someday the Dont Starve Franchise is going to be big. Much, much bigger then anyone could’ve ever predicted it to be- and sure It may not be at that point right now, but 5 years from now? Hell anything is possible by that time.

Klei are real people with jobs at stake. This isn't wonderland, as much as you want game development to be a fairy tale.

Just look at how DST looked and played in 2017 to how it looks and plays now in 2020.

DST in 2017 was basically the same but with a cardboard sea.

I’ve voiced my opinion as to why I want it to happen, and how I think it MIGHT (only Klei knows if it actually is..) be possible to do Someday & I did those things without insulting other forum members are arguing with them.

So I will kindly ask that everyone please play nicely, and if you have an opinion on if this should happen, how you think it should be implemented or if you don’t want it to happen and why you don’t want it to happen, then please share them.. but don’t start name calling and arguing please.

Nobody is insulting anyone. Arguing is good and healthy for discussions boards.

Disagreeing is a right and you will not shut anyone down simply because they disagree with you.

You need a better grasp on how things work on the internet aswell as in the videogame industry, and maybe even real life. That way most forum goers would not instantly skim over your replies on sight.

Maybe just add the content to the world generation, like small biomes, or just random stuff you are able to find the in the world...

Make the fauna and flora accessible somehow, like cultivation or being able to configure the world generation to add or remove some of the biomes.

The exploration aspect of the game gets exponentially better with such content and variability.

I am almost certain it is financially viable, it makes the game even more appealing and extend the longevity of the game, the difficulties you guys are presenting is a matter of maintaining the game alive or not(More content is always welcome and eventually necessary! So performance issues will have to be handled somehow)... Maybe officially we will never have them, hopefully I will be able to ignore it and wish for Klei to keep releasing more content for DST!

I see your point, in the end all I want is more content to DST, because I love playing it with the people I love! So I will wait and cheer for Klei.

4 hours ago, Well-met said:

That way most forum goers would not instantly skim over your replies on sight.

Why would you even say this? to get a good like reaction out of it? Do you think I post anything here with the intentions that it’ll just be skimmed over & ignored? Would YOU want people to do that to Your posts? No.. you probably wouldn’t.

And your right maybe I don’t have absolutely any idea how the gaming industry works, and that is perfectly fine- Because I shouldn’t have to know the In’s & Outs to discuss what I’d like to see happen, And if we DID have to know that.. then half of us wouldn’t be able to post anything cause we don’t know a lick about it.

Now with that said- DST has changed Significantly from its 2017 model, not just adding a sailable sea, but also adding new biomes, new enemies with unique attack patterns, new craftable items and structures, Brand new gameplay features, Character refreshes that change the way you play with a character COMPLETELY.. there is a lot more here then Just *added sailable sea* Willow became the best Nightmare fuel farmer in the entire game.. Wendy gained the Petal Bestowment buff that makes her perform better when team mates attack things Abigail is attacking.

To say DST resembles its 2017 version in the slightest bit is terribly inaccurate.

No one outside of Klei Entertainment knows what Klei plans to do with this franchise, you don’t know if they aren’t working on building an entirely brand new engine for this game when they plan to make it Cross-Platform capable, And you can’t accurately say what is or isn’t some fairy-tale fantasy without knowing that type of information.

If you disagree with my idea’s, suggestions or opinions then that’s fine your perfectly allowed to do so, but your comment comes off as rather insulting directly at me & don’t like it.. but rather then making some big fuss about it I’m going to do the right thing & just Ignore it. 

In the end, we are all just people wanting to get the most enjoyment out of a game we are all passionate about & want to continue enjoying for many years to come, So it never hurts to discuss where you picture the game going.. rather then being stuck thinking about where it’s at now.

And if the FUTURE of DST truly is Cross-Play between all consoles, then I would like to be able to play Shipwrecked & Hamlet themed worlds Alongside my DST Worlds so I can play WITH My Friends.. regardless of WHAT Console platform they’re choosing to play on and getting to enjoy worlds, mobs and biomes that are currently... only available in the single player game or through some unofficial Mods.

It's not gonna happen. Devs have said several times that they aren't interested in bringing over DLCs from Don't Starve, because Don't Starve and DST are two separate games. Not for any financial reason, or whatever else, they are just not interested in making them. They can't say NO clearer. 

Making posts like this is just super disrespectful to the Devs. And the more posts like these happen, the more the Devs DON'T want to add them to the game.

Yea I'd rather see this new and exciting stuff, with never before seen things, and lore expanding, instead of not getting any of this for probably more than a year just to see the same stuff I have seen and played already. I don't even really understand the basic reason, so you can play these modes with your friends? You got mods for that, and besides, I'm pretty sure a lot of people play DST solo. In my personal opinion, not only would this be boring, but also worthless, when we take all things into account.

I don't think I so much want the DLCs in DST as I would like to see some assets taken from them and put into Don't Starve Together, particularly I would like to see some other Hamlet and Shipwrecked characters make it into DST. I would also maybe like to see stuff like the smelter and Iron ore, although I'm not exactly sure how it would be implemented. I don't need full new areas based on Hamlet and Shipwrecked, but bits and pieces taken from these DLCs and repurposed would be fine!

7 hours ago, SnowdropPax said:

It's not gonna happen. Devs have said several times that they aren't interested in bringing over DLCs from Don't Starve, because Don't Starve and DST are two separate games. Not for any financial reason, or whatever else, they are just not interested in making them. They can't say NO clearer. 

Making posts like this is just super disrespectful to the Devs. And the more posts like these happen, the more the Devs DON'T want to add them to the game.

Actually- your quite mistaken, Joe & Crew said something more along the lines that they did not want to Directly port over content from those expansions because those expansions were Designed with single-player gameplay in Mind, and that IF they would have created that content with Multiplayer in thought, that They would have done that content a bit differently..

A great example of this would be how boats worked and operated in Shipwrecked compared to how they work and operate in Don’t Starve Together, Another good example of this is the new Lunar Grotto Biome.. I had been wanting some Shipwrecked/Hamlet themed gameplay mechanics for awhile now, and down there-

Spoiler

Chopping Trees spawns dangerous exploding spores that can damage and kill low health players.

The point I’m trying to make is that Klei did not simply say we aren’t adding SW/Hamlet mechanics into DST, The end move on- Klei very specifically show they ARE doing them, but they’re doing them with an improved and Multiplayer in mind concept.

Would it really hurt anything to have a few mobs and biomes I want from the old expansions added into the game?

Things I would like to see: Snakes, Scorpions & Poison Bleed Out Mechanic, Hostile walking piranhas plant & dense jungle biome, Dangerous deadly biome to travel through without a protective Head/Armor gear, Palm Trees, Sandy Beach Biome to place said Palm Trees within, and Maybe Volcanic Biome but with a mix of both NEW (forge themed) and Old (Shipwrecked Themed) mobs in it.

—————————————

the TL:DR- More Mobs & Biomes pulled directly from those expansions wouldn’t be as harmful to DST as people think- I also don’t think it would be a bigger challenge on Klei’s behalf to port over Biome/Mob designs that they’ve already created then it would be to create brand new ones from scratch.

—————————————

Now with that said- content a little more challenging then the above mentioned stuffs, would have to be redesigned entirely with multiplayer in mind..

But here’s what’s on mind- Joe said awhile back ago that if they let console players join pc hosted worlds as a Client rather than as a Host- That our 6 players Max Limitations would no longer apply, he also then went on to state that When & If DST ever becomes Crossplay compatible that console players probably most likely Still won’t have access to Mod content- And that leaves PC players who have Console friends with a tough choice- Play without their Mods enabled so that their console friends can join them. OR Try to convince their friend to buy a PC so you can play with mod stuffs enabled.

Conclusion- If Crossplay IS Dont Starve Togethers actual future, then “Play with Mods” can’t be the only choice available to us.

I would rather for example have Shipwreckeds Volcanic Atmosphere repurposed into DST with the limited time Forge events Mamga Golem bursting out of Firefly boss-like Magma pools and flinging fireballs in my direction- Then to EVER have the Gorge or Forge events return..

Why bring the limited time events back at all.. when you can just take the stuff people enjoyed most about them and add that to core gameplay.

Why can’t we host Shipwrecked or Hamlet themed worlds that are completely separate from and have no connection to DST: RoT?

In fact- Why does there even have to be a distinction between DS Singleplayer & DST?? Why can’t DST act as a central hub for hosting all of DS? And in the same way you can choose to host Vanilla, RoG, Shipwrecked or Hamlet content in DS Single Player- You could play Vanilla DS, ROG DS, Vanilla DST, RoT DST, Shipwrecked, or Hamlet themed world Gen settings. Content that Doesn’t clash with one another because you can only ever host one type or the other..

You could therefore in theory play DS Single Player and Earn and also use your DST skins and belongings while playing Single Player (as long as connected to online to earn loots)

It never hurts to bring ideas and suggestions like this into the discussion (it’s even more perfectly acceptable to do so if the thread your posting it in is actually on topic to the ideas & suggestions you bring up)

I'll wade through the argument part of this thread later, but is it possible to have shards perhaps behave like separate worlds or just be different clusters you can jump to? 

Hear me out; so for example, cluster 1, 2, and 3 are intermingled. Cluster 1 is dst standard/rog, cluster 2 is shipwrecked + volcano and cluster 3 is hamlet + pig ruins. And have the server master or popular vote just switch clusters to still have only 2 shards active at one time? 

Anyone who is a black belt at modding, i want to talk about this as an option even as a mod or even for inspiration for the devs

1 minute ago, chirsg said:

I'll wade through the argument part of this thread later, but is it possible to have shards perhaps behave like separate worlds or just be different clusters you can jump to? 

Hear me out; so for example, cluster 1, 2, and 3 are intermingled. Cluster 1 is dst standard/rog, cluster 2 is shipwrecked + volcano and cluster 3 is hamlet + pig ruins. And have the server master or popular vote just switch clusters to still have only 2 shards active at one time? 

Anyone who is a black belt at modding, i want to talk about this as an option even as a mod or even for inspiration for the devs

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a mod that just straight up allowed more then 2 shards for non-dedicated servers.

Archived