I Must bring this up AGAIN! -Hamlet and Shipwrecked

Official Hamlet and Shipwrecked content in DST  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Are you willing to support Shipwrecked and Hamlet to DST even financialy?(as DLC)

• Yes Klei! Of Course ASAP, PLEASE!
    • No, I think DS is fine as it is.

27 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

I did some forum archeology on the topic to see if Klei has ever stated their position and I found this (did a bit of photoshoping to remove unrelated content, but I'll provide the link for the actual post)-

I think the most telling part of this post is this:

The team is breathing a sigh of relief that we get to build brand new content again.

I've found this as well-

https://support.klei.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029555912-Will-Shipwrecked-work-with-Don-t-Starve-Together

Screenshot_20201028-202009.png

This bit here supports my thinking on this matter, though I don't know who the poster is, or how valid their claim is-

Screenshot_20201028-202923.png

So there are a LOT of DST:SW threads from back in the day. And they all play out pretty much exactly the same---

---they play out more or less exactly the same way they play out now.

This one was pretty prophetic though, I thought it was a fun read-

On 10/26/2020 at 2:18 PM, Mike23Ua said:

And I sincerely don’t see what is so awful about wanting the content I bought & paid for to be compatible with Multiplayer.

With all due respect, you bought and paid for that dlc for DS... to expect such for DST simply because you "bought & paid for" it is a bit silly and makes you sound entitled as all heck (not that you would like and enjoy it in your game, but the way you've carried yourself in asking). 

I personally currently play both DS and DST solo, depending on my mood. Would aspects of Hamlet be fun in DST? Absolutely! But I can see how that would be extremely difficult to bring to multiplayer. We're talking about a whole different world. - Shipwrecked however, while I think another island with some of the Shipwrecked aspects is certainly doable, even with some of the ocean bits on the way there would be nice and would give players more of a reason to WANT to go sailing and invest those resources - but a good bit of it also already exists here. And, we can't expect them to bring all of Shipwrecked over - for DS it again is literally a whole other "world" on it's own, bc it needs to be.

As it is currently, running DST with caves is running two worlds at once, to add Hamlet would be another and is asking for a bit much.

Have they ever straight up said that they don’t plan to ever do SW/Hamlet content in DST? Because everything I can find seems to point towards: We don’t have plans to do that right now, those expansions weren’t designed with multiplayer in mind and If we did them with multiplayer in mind we would re-evaluate things and do them differently.

I would like for someone to show me the link where Klei straight up states they don’t plan to EVER do SW/Ham Together.

Because ever since the beginning of Return of Them I’ve been slowly seeing DLC features brought to DST but with DST Flair and Twist added to it- Multiplayer Centric Boats and Boat kit upgrades, Wobster and Wobster Den but with a DST Return of Them Twist: The Lunar Chunk of Moon that crash landed in the ocean caused them to become Lunar Wobster.. Sea Fishing, Etc..

Basically what I’m saying is that Klei has and continues to with each RoT update- slowly been repurposing that content to better fit a Multiplayer Environment. 

What’s most important is that Shipwrecked is an old dlc from several years ago- we are 2 and a half months removed from year 2021, Porting those DLCs as they are would prove to be disappointing..

They NEED to be updated they need the advancements in development Klei has made throughout the years, People wanted Boating with friends.. Klei added boating with friends and while the waters of DST aren’t nowhere near as interesting as they SHOULD Be.. I will reserve that judgement for when Return of Them finally reaches that last large update.

I would like to hope that Return of Them will continue to incorporate assets from SW/Hamlet/Gorge & Forge, but repurpose all of it with a Unique DST flair & twist.

On 10/26/2020 at 1:56 PM, Skorne said:

Don't Starve original is obsolete and has been since DST was announced.

As a player of both, depending on my mood, I have to disagree. I also know a few people who prefer DS over DST. <shrug>

@Mike23Ua:

I get that console doesn't have the ability to host dedicated servers but that doesn't mean that other platforms that DO (PC) should be denied the ability to have dedicated servers or use world merging. Let consoles be able to pick the game mode and launch that world just like any PC listen server (locally hosted on their PC). So you have 5 world saves right? You could have an RoG world, a SW world, and a Hamlet world. You get to choose which one you launch/play.

What they could implement is that you could tie any RoG world save with 1 SW world and 1 Hamlet world (as you can in DS now). So now those 3 worlds are linked together (it'd even be nice if you could choose to unlink worlds and link them to new ones as you desire. The only caveat being it's only 1 world save of each game mode that are allowed to be linked together at one time). So when you're playing in your RoG world, and say you click the Skyworthy, the game would send you to the loading screen (such as when you transition between the overworld and caves) while behind the scenes it'd save the world you're leaving, exit from it, then launch and load the Hamlet world you linked to that RoG world. I'm sure that must be what happens when DS allows you to transition from one world to another. So console COULD merge worlds, you just couldn't have players playing on multiple merged worlds at the same time. Only the player hosting the server would be allowed to use the portal to transition from world to world at their choosing.

This is the exact same way that a listen server run by a PC player from their computer could handle merged worlds as well. The player hosting the listen server could choose when to interact with the Sea/Skyworthy and hop from world to world - the portal wouldn't respond to other connected players, unless it was decided that anyone with full admin privileges would be allowed to do so as well, which I could see being an option. Again, as for console, when whoever has the access rights to the portal uses it, the entire world would be saved and exited, the world that the portal is linked to would be launched and ran, and all connected players would be connected to it, and loaded into that world at said portal such as what happens when a new world is generated now.

So whether that is implemented on console or not (which if it works for DS on console I can't see why not, and regardless, they could still play any RoG world, SW world, or Hamlet world saves they have when they desire, just one at a time), for anyone capable of running 2 or 3 dedicated servers simultaneously (whether by renting or owning their own server), they could run an RoG server, a SW server, and an Hamlet server and link or 'merge' them so that when anyone clicks on the Sea/Skyworthy they'll be connected from the server they're in to the server they're wanting to transition to, just as when a player connects to the caves from the overworld (and vice versa). Marvelous!

So my point is that whatever the reason people decide they want or don't want this, the technological capability exists to implement this already. And if that's the case, then just because you personally may not see the reason why you'd want this, there are many others who WOULD. The decision lies soley in Klei's hands whether or not they determine that it'd be worthwhile for them to do so. Even if it's not possible in the case of SW (should any legal agreement between Klei & Capy prevent them, God forbid), it definitely should be for Hamlet as they developed that game solely from their own studio. I think they'd find MANY who would welcome and participate in any announcement of this kind of project and who would be willing supporters whether they choose to make entry to the DLC paid or not, and who purchase any characters or skin packs offered.

I could see Klei making - for DST - the DLC free, and even the characters already existing in those DLC free, but offering skin packs as they do now for character outfits or belongings. They could then create BRAND NEW characters for each DLC just as they have for DST RoG (ie. Wortox, Wurt, Warly) that WOULD be available for purchase/unlock.

So look guys, what's the difference between them creating their own brand new content for DST now as they have been in Return of Them, or just bringing their already existing DLC such as Hamlet to DST? In the format that I have presented, the DLC would be COMPLETELY OPTIONAL and would not at all have to impact the way people play the game now. That would carry on without interruption. And it would not 'kill' DS as some reckon it. Again, DIFFERENT AUDIENCES. Those who have determined they already want to own and play the DLC in DS singleplayer already have. There are those who play DST who don't play DS b/c they want to play multiplayer - this would just expand Klei's audience for their DLC content to their multiplayer community as well.

Also, if anything, it would ENCOURAGE them to CONTINUE TO SUPPORT DS because they could create the new content first for DS, and then follow up by releasing that content to DST at a later date, say 6 months following or the like, as is often done now (such as a game made for console being forced to wait an agreed upon delay time to stimulate sales on their platform, before they allow it on PC). It'd be win-win-win for Klei, those who want to protect their interest in DS, and those who want to play their beloved DLC content in the flexibility of the DST multiplayer setting, where they have the luxury of having their friends jump in or out as they play!

Oh, and as far as them making any announcement(s) that they don't have any existing plan to bring DS DLC content to DST, that doesn't prevent them from changing their mind at any time - they've left that option open. Just look at the situation with DS & DST. People were asking if they'd make DS into a multiplayer game, and they refused, saying they had no intention of doing so at that time. HOWEVER, given time and their hiring of people who had the technical know-how to make it possible for them to do so, they DID change their mind and decide to make DST, to the benefit of us all. In fact, in Return of Them they've already been adapting concepts, and elaborating upon even more, from SW to DST.

40 minutes ago, GeraldFisher said:

I mean, the tropical experience mod gets pretty damn close to having that hamlet experience :)
Other than that, i doubt klei will ever do anything when you guys are acting this entitled and angry about this all the time,
maybe try asking nicely?

ok ill try 

DEAR KLEI 

as a lowly member of the don't starve together forums i speak for a good chunk of us that we would humbly accept the addition of shipwrecked and hamlet into don't starve together and we would be most thrilled if were heard that you guys over at klei are implementing  shipwrecked and hamlet into don't starve together already. i don't really have anything else to say

k bye

Archived