I Must bring this up AGAIN! -Hamlet and Shipwrecked

Official Hamlet and Shipwrecked content in DST  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Are you willing to support Shipwrecked and Hamlet to DST even financialy?(as DLC)

• Yes Klei! Of Course ASAP, PLEASE!
    • No, I think DS is fine as it is.

I apologize guys, I know it have been discussed, but I need to bring this up again.

Klei, we love you, we are thankful for all free updates you've released so far we even love the skin bundles, me and all my friends have expent money purchasing skins, me myself have bought more than 4 licenses to give away to potential friend players!

I feel I have the right to request you stop this non-sense and please release officially Hamlet and Shipwrecked for DST, we love the game and is real pain not having this content and having to depend on mods is really frustrating and unfulfilling!

I have heard the explanation and unfortunately think they are pathetic! This game is perfect for multiplayer and Dont Starve became obsolete the very day you launched DST! It is not fair to say that you are worried about not selling DS anymore, we all know the skin sales are going well enough!

I am certain you will make a lot of fans happy by even releasing the Hamlet and Shipwreck as PAID content, considering the love the game instigate in its players, it is almost EVIL you keep us from having this oficial content!

Release it as a croundfunding/kickstarter even if you feel you should not expend the resourses ahead of time!

Thank you.

It will not happen. For dont starve to work in multiplayer you basically have to remake everything from the ground up.

For Klei to take on such a monumental task they would have to literally make it a new stand-alone game in the same way DST branched off from DS1.

Shipwrecked and Hamlet are ironically whats keeping Dont Starve from becoming obsolete. Your suggestion would do that.

While I do concur I would fancy a DST: SW & Hamlet experience from official KLei DLCs, I don't consider them an "ASAP!" matter, more something of a distant "maybe" future; and perhaps in form of 2 localized thematic islands akin Lunar archipelago (one for SW stuff in minimalist form and one with Hamlet elements). Just an idea.

50 minutes ago, Mabz- said:

I feel I have the right to request you stop this non-sense and please release officially Hamlet and Shipwrecked for DST..

...it is almost EVIL you keep us from having this oficial content!

Kinda exaggerated, don't you think? "DST: Return of Them" macro-update is anything but "non-sense". It, of course, has its faults, yet is still in the making and far from passing a general verdict on a WIP form.

They're different games, they already merged the caves & ruins into a caves/ruin layer to cut down on servers needed to run per server while adding those DLCs would add like 5 more servers, yada yada so on so forth.

36 minutes ago, Well-met said:

Shipwrecked and Hamlet are ironically whats keeping Dont Starve from becoming obsolete. Your suggestion would do that.

DS still runs better and has a bunch of differences with it, but the majority of players probably don't care. Although a lot of people already don't care about those DLCs and just lie about how DST is the "better game" anyway.

37 minutes ago, Well-met said:

It will not happen. For dont starve to work in multiplayer you basically have to remake everything from the ground up.

For Klei to take on such a monumental task they would have to literally make it a new stand-alone game in the same way DST branched off from DS1.

Don't Starve original is obsolete and has been since DST was announced.

I just want to be able to play the expansions I bought, but with a friend or two.. I don’t need 100% full DST levels multiplayer, that’s NOT and never has been what I’m asking for- I just want to very simply put: Be able to play Shipwrecked or Hamlet themed content with my elderly father in two player co-op play and do things like sail oceans full of life or explore hazardous temples.

Because CURRENTLY I either have to boringly sit and watch him play ALONE or Vice-Versa when we want to play those DLC’s..

And I sincerely don’t see what is so awful about wanting the content I bought & paid for to be compatible with Multiplayer.

Yes, Yes it would obviously be a huge undertaking for Klei- But the way I feel about it is DS Single player SHOULD be Obsolete by now.. 

Ironically if Klei made the single player expansions compatible with DST (as in buying the SW/Hamlet pack opened up new content for you to enjoy in BOTH the Single Player game AND DST) then it could in fact: end up having the OPPOSITE effect of Obsoleting DS Single player- it Could actually end up driving MORE Sales for it.

I and others have stated how Owning those DLCs could come with certain DST benefits-

Buy Shipwrecked gain access to Warly, Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Pirate Birdcage + other SW themed skin cosmetics in DST.

Buy Hamlet gain access to Wormwood, Wheeler, Wilba, Wagstaff + Hamlet themed skin cosmetics in DST.

The TL:DR make the DLCs compatible with owning both DS AND DST.. so I no longer have to choose between playing the expansions I bought ALONE or neglecting to get to play the expansions I bought AT ALL because I would rather play with friends.

Only the HOST would need to own the DLCs.. for everyone else it takes a couple extra seconds or minutes of “downloading DLC Assets” and they can play with the Host. 

It is a Business practice Minecraft has been using for YEARS and it 100% absolutely works.

I would rather have THIS then to ever see limited time events like the Gorge or Forge EVER return.. and yeah not everyone’s going to agree with my opinion.

But I campaign for this to happen like a broken record with good intention: I simply want to be able to play what I paid my money for without having to have my dad who wants to roam that themed content With me sit idly by watching.

Would making DS obsolete even be that big of a problem? Don't companies releasing sequels make their prequels obsolete all the time? I think the main arguments are more about:

Financial viability: For all the months or work, how many new players would it bring about? How many people would purchase the DLCs? People who already bought the single player version would need to be given it for free.

The game getting heavier: Keep in mind new players die all the time and have to keep regenerating their worlds. A longer loading screen for world generation may and probably already does affect new player retention. This problem could be avoided depending on how the expansions are implemented but each type of implementation would have a whole new set of problems.

• Local islands like Lunar archipelago: longer loading time, plus the content being "hidden" for new players, which makes the whole thing net negative for increasing the player base.
  • Separate servers: Most people would have a terrible time running more servers in multiplayer.
  • Completely separate world generations: i.e: you either gen Hamlet, or SW, or RoG. Everyone would complain that they can't connect the whole content.

Also, many new bugs would arrive.

Guys, don't get me wrong. I am happy with how Klei has handled their games and updates and I have supported all of them.

My outburst of emotions was due to the frustration of not having the Hamlet and Shipwreck content in DST, they are very appealing.

I am aware of the divergent opinions, and I am able to understand and respect, though I crave for this content on DST and DS alone is not appealing to me, I wish people who agree with me would heavily outnumber so it would be an incentive to see this in DST, but I will live!

Ty for your input.

9 minutes ago, Mabz- said:

I wish people who agree with me would heavily outnumber so it would be an incentive to see this in DST, but I will live!

Sorry chief, but it aint gonna happen. Unless Klei reaches somekind of breaking point with the franchise and decides to throw both of those dlcs into dst as a last resort, which is very unlikely to happen in the near future. Either way, mods are the closest answer to your desire.

43 minutes ago, Mabz- said:

My outburst of emotions was due to the frustration of not having the Hamlet and Shipwreck content in DST, they are very appealing.

I am aware of the divergent opinions, and I am able to understand and respect, though I crave for this content on DST and DS alone is not appealing to me, I wish people who agree with me would heavily outnumber so it would be an incentive to see this in DST, but I will live!

I think almost everybody agrees and would also love having those DLCs as multiplayer. Indeed that has been the case for years, Klei is well aware of it. If you play on computer you can always try the Island Adventures mod. (Read their description before downloading.) But heads up, there are bugs and such, and long loading time depending on your machine.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

They're different games, they already merged the caves & ruins into a caves/ruin layer to cut down on servers needed to run per server while adding those DLCs would add like 5 more servers, yada yada so on so forth.

DS still runs better and has a bunch of differences with it, but the majority of players probably don't care. Although a lot of people already don't care about those DLCs and just lie about how DST is the "better game" anyway.

You wouldn't need any more servers at all. Klei could just merge the content as in add shipwrecked islands and hamlet biomes to existing DST world generation. It would immensely enrich the DST experience and i cant understand why so many of you are against this.

I would absolutely love to have palm trees, beaches and jungles in my DST without having to host my own server packed with mods.

I can think of several what “should” be viable ways Klei could add this content or at least “portions” of this content into DST, But there’s a colossal difference between what I THINK is Possible, and what Klei knows from experience is possible.

They can do it THIS Way (you have to look very closely at this image but you can see where I am highlighting and slightly changing the color of Forest World right below The standard Don’t Starve experience) Which is where you would change Forest World to Shipwrecked or Hamlet World..

50831814-4D56-4BDD-955B-7C4E170783A2.gif.a9a32f2e1c3b5d42e5d3eb3c8fd06ca8.gif

Okay Seriously... SOMEONE needs to explain why can we even highlight this if it’s never going serve any actual function?

Alternatively the OTHER Way they could do it is to add small Themed “Islands” into the game out in the Ocean Somewhere, now THIS suggestion in particular is the most interesting.. because- It extends far far beyond JUST Shipwrecked and Hamlet.. They could even do an entire Forge Themed Island with forge mobs and forge gameplay mechanics but just like how Lunacy only effects players when they are on Lunar Island.. Forge Mechanics and Hamlet/SW weather would only happen when your on that particular Island.. 

And if they ever wanted to do a Forge event again- They could just like how Mad Lab is craftable only during Hallowed Nights, give players a craftable teleportation item that takes them to this themed island that is always and permanently part of the game.

People knock against the idea to take this into serious consideration because they feel like it would clash with the aesthetics or atmosphere of DST.. But would it REALLY Hurt anything if these places were connected by Islands or Wormholes or even teleportation portals?

Your playing a game full of science, mystery & magic- Logically speaking (And not Technically.. I’ll let Klei handle what is and isn’t possible) We should in theory at least- be able to go anywhere KLEI wants to take us..

Be that the deepest darkest magma filled caverns deep beneath the surface, shipwrecked themed tropical island paradises, Or even building a giant beanstalk and going to the Moon Itself.

Only klei knows what direction they want to take this franchise in.. but from a players perspective (and having seen all the cool crap Mods can do..) This franchise has the potential to be a Massive extremely popular game..

And I know, no one is going to listen to and take that seriously.. But I see mods where people can dive Under Water and explore an entire Under the Sea world..

I also know that Klei keeps tabs on what mods are most popularly used, Realistically none of this may EVER come to light, but you gotta admit its a nice pipeline dream of what the franchise could someday become.

3 minutes ago, AlienMagi said:

You wouldn't need any more servers at all. Klei could just merge the content as in add shipwrecked islands and hamlet biomes to existing DST world generation. It would immensely enrich the DST experience and i cant understand why so many of you are against this.

I would absolutely love to have palm trees, beaches and jungles in my DST without having to host my own server packed with mods.

That's not adding Shipwrecked and Hamlet, that's adding little pieces of them. That's not what OP was asking about.

But what would be the point of what you're saying, have you even played those DLCs? Do you know what's on Shipwrecked islands? The same stuff that's on the mainland. Nothing that would be added from that would be very interesting. Spiders except they look like snakes? Splumonkeys except they're not underground? Trees except they injure you for chopping them? Just plopping over assets and calling it a day is mod-tier stuff (and, in fact, you can already have that exact experience with mods), them adding actually new content is so much better.

Just now, Cheggf said:

That's not adding Shipwrecked and Hamlet, that's adding little pieces of them. That's not what OP was asking about.

But what would be the point of what you're saying, have you even played those DLCs? Do you know what's on Shipwrecked islands? The same stuff that's on the mainland. Nothing that would be added from that would be very interesting. Spiders except they look like snakes? Splumonkeys except they're not underground? Trees except they injure you for chopping them? Just plopping over assets and calling it a day is mod-tier stuff (and, in fact, you can already have that exact experience with mods), them adding actually new content is so much better.

To add on I don't want this big clumpy mess of content from DLC's all in one world. I don't want Shipwreckeds Tropical atmospheres and Hamlets civilisations and ruins in the existing DST world, Heck no!

13 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Adding new content takes much longer than porting existing unused content.

How is having more biomes and locations to farm certain resources and build a base on not very interesting? It's not "plopping" over assets, its making it like it was in shipwrecked (or hamlet). Did you not enjoy the DLC? 

Imagine if I said pig houses shouldnt be in any other place than in the PK village because thats just plopping assets all over. I dont think that kind of argument makes a lot of sense.

11 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

This isn’t exactly accurate by a long shot..

Chopping Trees in BOTH SW and Hamlet has a chance to spawn either a Snake or a Scorpion, both of which have a chance to inflict the player with poison damage that slowly bleeds out their health core over time until they craft a poison cure.

In addition to that Shipwrecked Palm Trees have the Palm Guardian.. the only TreeGuard Mob.. that throws projectiles at you.

Hamlet has Piko Squirrels, Which not only do they make the world look and feel more alive, but they can be killed for small morsel AND if not killed they will run around eating the seeds you would’ve used in planting new trees or gathered for cooking.

The TL:DR- They added things to SW/Ham that made staying alive harder.. and currently in DST- We DONT have that..

I would absolutely LOVE for the random trees I chop down to have a chance to spawn some funky & hostile mob.. (and no not a treeguard)

41 minutes ago, AlienMagi said:

How is having more biomes and locations to farm certain resources and build a base on not very interesting? It's not "plopping" over assets, its making it like it was in shipwrecked (or hamlet). Did you not enjoy the DLC? 

You can't fit Reign of Giants, Shipwrecked, and Hamlet all on one world. There's already people who have issues running the game (I've even seen people claiming they have trouble running it on console), and you're asking to essentially triple or quadruple the world size. That'd be miles more effort than making new content, and that'd also probably be harder to run than just adding more servers. Not to mention how it just wouldn't make sense or work at all and even then you'd still have to remove content like the volcano, ruins, houses, etc. Basically all of Hamlet.

41 minutes ago, AlienMagi said:

Imagine if I said pig houses shouldnt be in any other place than in the PK village because thats just plopping assets all over. I dont think that kind of argument makes a lot of sense.

Imagine if the rest of the world already had pig houses and you're saying not to move the pig king themed pig houses to the rest of the world. Then that argument would be comparable, and that argument would make sense.

The vast majority of the content in the DLCs is complete reskins (Dumbrella, snakeskin items, etc), extremely similar to existing content (Snakes, thatch pack, etc), or things that wouldn't fit in a Reign of Giants world (Ice maker, windbreaker, etc). The DLCs are fun because of their new mechanics. The DLCs are fun because of the completely new areas they add. The DLCs are fun for things that you wouldn't be bringing over in this sloppy port you're suggesting.

If you want to play SW & HAM, why not play SW & HAM instead of suggesting a terrible version be added to DST? Or just go play a terrible version mod? There's plenty on the workshop.

53 minutes ago, AlienMagi said:

It's not about "not interesting", rather managing resources of the game and it's limitations thus far. You really expect DST to hold three more LOADED expansions which i remind you, still have quite a lot of bugs, especially Hamlet. Not to even mention cluttering all of that content on one world instead of seperating it to different worlds like Caves would require a stunning amount of effort to even hold stable on ONE server, heck, even seperating it would be a complete torture to realize. I would rather have progressive and brand new updates for DST than three expansions from Solo that would take more time to put in DST's setting and even more time to hold everything together.

i suppose it isnt a priority thought but do think about how the game has a hard cap on how much room there is to add in biomes and objects. right now a LOT of computers and consoles chug just trying to run default dst when there are more than two people playing, if it is untenable to fill the existing world with existing content then adding even more content isnt going to be viable. you are excited to make foie gras but the goose cannot take much more stuffing

27 minutes ago, gaymime said:

i suppose it isnt a priority thought but do think about how the game has a hard cap on how much room there is to add in biomes and objects. right now a LOT of computers and consoles chug just trying to run default dst when there are more than two people playing, if it is untenable to fill the existing world with existing content then adding even more content isnt going to be viable. you are excited to make foie gras but the goose cannot take much more stuffing

If they make the PC requirements higher, just means less people will be able to play it. I know people who would quit entirely if the game requirements went up more. I don't see them buying a whole new PC just for DST.

Archived