[Game Update] - 428553

• Developer
  • Fixed a bug that allowed character specific items to be crafted by other characters after using the Florid Postern.
  • Fixed Bee Boxes resetting their timer for producing honey at dusk.
  • Fixed a case where server mods could be enabled on the client mods screen.
  • Fixed a rare crash with deciduous trees.
  • Stingers will now correctly spread fire.
  • Fixed a beard layering issue with Wilson’s Pigsbury Mask skin.
  • Wardrobe search bar now filters when you stop typing, or when you hit enter.
  • Cleaned up some duplicated string table entries.
  • Note for modders: HasItemWithTag is now properly defined on the inventory classified.

View full update

• Like 34
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 1
  • Health 2
  • Sanity 1

13 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

Stingers will now correctly spread fire.

Could we reverse this update? It started out with some jerks who didn't know how to get rid of their stingers, they actually didn't even try to get rid of them, so Klei added a feature to make it easier getting rid of their stingers. But now it turned out to be a feature which endangers any non-renewable big bee biome ingame: Just some smoldering and your whole Bee Biome burns down. And unlike seeds it can't despawn via birds or unlike rot it doesn't have the autostack mechanic which would reduce the chance of fire spreading everywhere.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad Dupe 1

1 hour ago, ScottHansen said:

Stingers will now correctly spread fire.

It makes even less sense now - not only stingers are somehow burnable, but they also can propagate fire to other stuff for incredible firechain reactions. Was this really necessary?

Fixed a bug that allowed character specific items to be crafted by other characters after using the Florid Postern.

Rest in peace. It was fun while it lasted, too bad some people prefer to ruin things they personally don't use so others can't use them as well.

Edited by shadowDigga
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, shadowDigga said:

Rest in peace. It was fun while it lasted, too bad some people prefer to ruin things they personally don't use so others can't use them as well.

The bigger problem is the fact that this feature became too popular due to players spreading it to everyone either via bragging or by accident. Some other players even tried to use it to collect money with videos introducing how to use it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Shopcat 1

2 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

The bigger problem is

Fixing a bug or exploit is never a problem. It's the natural course of videogame development. We're glad for Klei's continued support.

Edited by Well-met
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 5

27 minutes ago, shadowDigga said:

It makes even less sense now - not only stingers are somehow burnable, but they also can propagate fire to other stuff for incredible firechain reactions. Was this really necessary?

If you want to make a mod that enables universal character crafting then make a server mod that does that and put it on your own games. Personally I don't want Wes's running around my server crafting catapults, battle helms, and Bernie's. Not unless I enable the mod myself. This was a game-breaking bug and I'm glad it got fixed.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3
  • Big Ups 3

4 minutes ago, JazzyGames said:

If you want to make a mod that enables universal character crafting then make a server mod that does that and put it on your own games. Personally I don't want Wes's running around my server crafting catapults, battle helms, and Bernie's. Not unless I enable the mod myself. This was a game-breaking bug and I'm glad it got fixed.

If you want people to be unable to use certain features, make that a server mod and put on your own server.

2 minutes ago, shadowDigga said:

If you want people to be unable to use certain features, make that a server mod and put on your own server.

It *wasn't* a feature. The fact that they patched it out shows it wasn't intentional.

You had to use a mod to get it to work anyway. That is by no definition a feature. Are you seriously asking for people to get a server mod incase other people are using mods and exploiting the game?

Edited by YouKnowWho
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2

• Stingers will now correctly spread fire.

Am a bit confused: are now Stingers able to smolder? Because that would be quite the problem. I understand people's desire (myself included) to burn excess Stingers via Torch/Fire Staff/Willow's Lighter, but making them able to smolder from Summer or from stuff burning nearby can be quite a hazard precisely because they tend to litter ground in Spring (Bees fighting everything and inevitably dying).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, YouKnowWho said:

It *wasn't* a feature. The fact that they patched it out shows it wasn't intentional.

How exactly do you distinguish between bugs and features? The way it was coded it allowed crafting character-specific items even after changing back. There was no typo in the code that allowed to bypass the check.

12 minutes ago, YouKnowWho said:

You had to use a mod to get it to work anyway. That is by no definition a feature. Are you seriously asking for people to get a server mod incase other people are using mods and exploiting the game?

Client-side mods don't allow functionality which isn't part of the game already. They just make it more convenient for clients. That's what the mod did - if you wanted, you could have achieved the same with console commands only.

Yes, I'm seriously asking people to use server mods to avoid exploits present in game code itself they personally don't like.

Edited by shadowDigga
  • Haha 1
  • Wavey 1

18 minutes ago, Bird Up said:

Biggest problem is people who find bugs, don't report them, and use them to confuse average players.

Biggestest problem is the fact that Klei doesn't give a s*** about fixing bugs, not until players start annoying them about a certain bug.

You might want to ask e.g. @lakhnish how often he tried to report certain bugs to get them fixed, but even after like 10 reports they didn't get fixed at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Big Ups 2
  • Sad Dupe 3
  • Potato Cup 1

6 minutes ago, shadowDigga said:

How exactly do you distinguish between bugs and features? The way it was coded it allowed crafting character-specific items even after changing back. There was no typo in the code that allowed to bypass the check.

Yes, I'm seriously asking people to use server mods to avoid exploits present in game code itself they personally don't like.

Maybe the fact that you have to use console commands and mods to take advantage of it kind of point towards the fact that it was an exploit. You can make frogs ten times the size of the screen and purple with the console, but I think people would get upset if I started doing that in their servers without permission.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 9

4 minutes ago, shadowDigga said:

There was no typo in the code that allowed to bypass the check.

Not all bugs are typos in the code....... Some bugs happen because of missing checks.(Which is what caused this one)

And even so..... I think its very obvious this was a bug and not intended behaviour.

Edited by Hornete
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, YouKnowWho said:

Maybe the fact that you have to use console commands and mods to take advantage of it kind of point towards the fact that it was an exploit.

So now you're calling it an exploit, not a bug. Few years ago, there was no option in preferences to disable this annoying movement prediction - so you had to disable it via console command. Does that mean it was an exploit too?

3 minutes ago, YouKnowWho said:

You can make frogs ten times the size of the screen and purple with the console, but I think people would get upset if I started doing that in their servers without permission.

Does that affect everyone's experience on the server even if you don't have admin rights? Can you teach me how to do that?

• Haha 1
  • Shopcat 1

11 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Biggestest problem is the fact that Klei doesn't give a s*** about fixing bugs, not until players start annoying them about a certain bug.

You might want to ask e.g. @lakhnish how often he tried to report certain bugs to get them fixed, but even after like 10 reports they didn't get fixed at all.

They recently mentioned welcoming Zarklord to their team, and Zarklord has been all over the bug-tracking page. Fixing bugs is not as easy as knowing they are there, and it seems resources were put into getting reinforcement into that effort.

Edited by sinisterrkid
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1