Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

On 2/13/2024 at 9:31 AM, Mike23Ua said:

What are the spawn requirements for Lunar frogs? Do they only fall in frog rain, come out of ponds, do they spawn if I toggle on lunar rifts? Is there a way to catch or move them without them instantly turning into frog legs?

so far what i see they only come out when frog rain while rift is open. and probably u cant capture it . even u gate it i think frog from frog rain just despawn when u go off screen after the frog rain stops. 

Anyone else feel that the insane strengths of some of the characters, combined with their skill trees and minor drawbacks make them more boring to play in the long run? I've found myself getting bored really easily because some of these guys can do so much for so little.

Maxwell is the most egregious example of this. Starts with so much stuff right out of the bat: Workers who can harvest trees, rocks, pick up the materials and hand them to you, the ability to trap mobs in the blink of an eye which includes giants, and can even make a magical tophat which functions as a 12 slot storage item.

Sure it's fun in beginning seeing how powerful you are, but later on the game becomes a slog since you're given so much power with little drawbacks to keep them in check. His minions LITTERALLY play the game for you. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, GrapeVruit said:

Anyone else feel that the insane strengths of some of the characters, combined with their skill trees and minor drawbacks make them more boring to play in the long run? I've found myself getting bored really easily because some of these guys can do so much for so little.

I've been feeling this a lot lately.
It was a big concern of mine when they first announced skill trees, I had still some hopes they'd introduce some drawbacks or akin to sort of balance them out but it doesn't seem to be on the table.

I don't know. It's weird. Feels like you're just given a lot really early on. I can't really explain it well in text but there's some odd feeling about it, it feels weird going out of my way to avoid using all the tools but I also don't like that it's just there from the get-go either. Bluurrgghh.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, GrapeVruit said:

Anyone else feel that the insane strengths of some of the characters, combined with their skill trees and minor drawbacks make them more boring to play in the long run?

9 hours ago, -Variant said:

I don't know. It's weird. Feels like you're just given a lot really early on. I can't really explain it well in text but there's some odd feeling about it, it feels weird going out of my way to avoid using all the tools but I also don't like that it's just there from the get-go either. Bluurrgghh.

Well, I mean, yeah.

That's kinda like trying to be proud of all the diamonds you've got in Minecraft that you've spawned in creative mode.

There's no sense of accomplishment if you defeat Dfly by standing in place, holding f and occasionally pressing your shield/watch as Wigfrid/Wanda

Overtunning characters and skill trees are gonna lead to a general sense of a lack of accomplishment and undeserved rewards

Edited by Szczuku
  • Like 10

49 minutes ago, AveHortor said:

If Wes can't tend to plants because he cannot talk, why is Wortox allowed to pet pets?

because pets are worthless and you get nothing for petting them and he probably can't accidentally take enemies' souls out of them by touching them after all, otherwise it'd make sense for him to kill anything in 1 hit when using his fist except things that don't have a soul

do you think this is to many ability for one skill

Do you think I should simplify this or rework it? if so how because  I want to at least keep the bulk of it

Unnatural nurturer:

if you choose different alignments for his two sides you gain the hypothetical “alignment” the ability it gives you is to switch your alignment by eat pure horror/brilliance mixed with cook monster meat(pure horror one looks marinated, pure brilliant looks salted) to make new item that he can eat and spawns a unnatural spider who’s exoskeleton resembles a human skull as a reference to Webbers skull (and it has tiny base skin Webber arms in place of the tiny middle leg if you go with two legs on each side for the Webber skin(and maybe the ability to help with farming by picking crop, can harvest things such as meat from drying racks/meat dishes simplified from @JJ0264))), it switch’s between the abilities of shadow/mutated  spiders and they puke  unnaturally preserved rot(not an item just what to call the puke) functions like compost wrap and looks like purple gloomer goop,can form a bond with a volt goat to turn it in to a  unnaturally mutated goat(a purple  charged volt goat that has 6 legs,8 eyes, and unnatural energy between his horns instead of electricity going up there horns basically if volt goats were followers+a smaller, weaker, faster  Beefalo but with a charged volt goat attack except all Electric damage gets put in to normal damage)(name open for change))((you can tell which by looking at the partial effect around them)and also a mutating/fusing ability when thrown  by Webber and hits the target shadow aligned unnatural spiders can fuse with bunnymen/beardlords and lunar aligned unnatural spiders can fuse with pigmen/werepigs and both take control of them and drains them like a slurper(baby beard spiders become baby care spiders(as a reference to the old spider care tab and Webber’s care for his friends)and do the same switch as unnatural spiders with the same look except tiny and with a slurper mouth can use unnatural energy to make cave lights wider when above crops,can form a bond with a butterfly to turn it in to a Webberhopalocera(a purple butterfly that has wings shaped like spider webs) to direct it to  Pacific none pollinated crops when care spiders are in the web they fly around Webber giving him sanity and pollinating any none pollinated plants near him (bringing ground meat too you,fertilizing, and watering(you can fill them with water by hovering a water balloon over then when there in the beard getting a mosquito sack back or doing the same with a watering can but it just takes a percentage  from the water can and how they water the plot is by spitting it out)maybe)) the ability to make unnatural rifts (how it works is there’s a new interaction with spider dens it temporarily plays an animation in which Webber’s unnatural rifts opens and closes the rifts come out of the den like how shadow rifts come out of the ground or lunar one are  suspended  in the air and it allow you to travel to other dens(I’m thinking a web/shatter design slanted back) (I’m trying to decide whether the higher the stage was the larger the range or just have access to all dens I’m open to alternatives for implementing rifts )) 

Edited by Dr.Webber

On 2/22/2024 at 7:58 PM, GrapeVruit said:

Maxwell is the most egregious example of this. Starts with so much stuff right out of the bat: Workers who can harvest trees, rocks, pick up the materials and hand them to you, the ability to trap mobs in the blink of an eye which includes giants, and can even make a magical tophat which functions as a 12 slot storage item.

Sure it's fun in beginning seeing how powerful you are, but later on the game becomes a slog since you're given so much power with little drawbacks to keep them in check. His minions LITTERALLY play the game for you. 

Maxwell was one of my four most played characters before his rework (Along with Warly, Wormwood, and Wes). After his rework I literally don't play him. I never pick him. He isn't even an option as a character I can play in my eyes, he's just so incredibly boring now. If his rework ended on the first beta branch where he had a slower cast and you had to think to use duelists instead of let duelists play the entire game for you then he would still be a fun character, but as it is right now he's the easiest character, the best at everything, and doesn't even do anything on his own because his free minions just do everything for him. Such a shame because he has so many good skins.

On 2/23/2024 at 10:41 AM, -Variant said:

Well... they do have death animations.

Could... always put them to use, ahah.
image.png.21aa812d0187b9b5e707c1a75084f534.png

I support this idea cos it's funny but if they keep dying i can see it be really annoying to the people who wanna keep them around.

1 hour ago, loonreaper said:

Does anyone know if the bone armor block interrupts the streak of the shadow reaper? Just wondering if it's theoretically possible to just swap double bone armor and keep the streak going forever lol. 

I had actually just tested this recently.  Bone armor block does not interrupt the shadow reaper stacking.  I was juggling bone armor against dfly with damage numbers on and kept full multiplier the whole time.  Bone armor definitely keeps its relevance in a planar world.

• Thanks 3
  • GL Happy 1

2 hours ago, Yuuko said:

I had actually just tested this recently.  Bone armor block does not interrupt the shadow reaper stacking.  I was juggling bone armor against dfly with damage numbers on and kept full multiplier the whole time.  Bone armor definitely keeps its relevance in a planar world.

Wow, great info thanks! This might actually motivate me to use the reaper and cowl combo now :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loonreaper said:

Wow, great info thanks! This might actually motivate me to use the reaper and cowl combo now :D

Its not as easy to keep up on resources since you need to visit the caves and clear the trio to re-up on tatters or burn green gems.  I use it for all lunar bosses, and most other bosses with BS as my every-day stuff.

1 hour ago, Yuuko said:

Its not as easy to keep up on resources since you need to visit the caves and clear the trio to re-up on tatters or burn green gems.  I use it for all lunar bosses, and most other bosses with BS as my every-day stuff.

I actually get it when I play Willow but I have a new world now trying out Wolfgang of all characters for the first time. The only thing I could think of while playing him was "The number of different strategies and tricks I've used just to approximate this power...." I have an ornery war beef with her usually and only use it on special occasions. On the other hand, with Wolfgang I can see getting it to be a major pain in the ass. It can take a minute to three just to load caves on the Switch. I wonder though if the DPS with him is more consistent with the brightshade gear, not losing the streak with the reaper and just full out tanking.  And as a QoL thing it's just a lot easier to stockpile brightshade gear not to mention how much more versatile their weapons are. I'll be testing in this world I suppose.

Sorry for yet another question but I've been playing a lot of Wolfgang lately. I have trouble versus bee queen. I've tried a lot of different ways but it takes too much effort and resources for me and I just want jellybeans. The easiest way to beat her is to get bee queen to phase 3-4 and just allow a transformed twins of terror to kill her. I want to try bunnymen though. I went to the ruins and made a ton of decon staffs and construction amulets but I could still only build 16 bunny hutches from my RNG. So now I have to grow a carrot farm and slowly kill bunnymen to build up the army. 

I'm wondering if anyone has further tips on this because I've seen people recommend as little as 15 bunnymen. So I had a couple of ideas to work with what I have now. One is to give all 15 beekeeper helmets. The other is to also just wear her down to half life (this I can do with the road that I built and minimal resources). I was thinking I could do this in the day time so they would come out in the evening and start at her. I was thinking of also using wolfgang's whistle at this point. 

So my question is this. Has anyone tested this? Are 15 bunnymen + half-health queen + 15 bee hats + wolfgang's whistle enough to finish her off? Ideally without even the whistle 

12 minutes ago, loonreaper said:

Sorry for yet another question but I've been playing a lot of Wolfgang lately. I have trouble versus bee queen. I've tried a lot of different ways but it takes too much effort and resources for me and I just want jellybeans. The easiest way to beat her is to get bee queen to phase 3-4 and just allow a transformed twins of terror to kill her. I want to try bunnymen though. I went to the ruins and made a ton of decon staffs and construction amulets but I could still only build 16 bunny hutches from my RNG. So now I have to grow a carrot farm and slowly kill bunnymen to build up the army. 

I'm wondering if anyone has further tips on this because I've seen people recommend as little as 15 bunnymen. So I had a couple of ideas to work with what I have now. One is to give all 15 beekeeper helmets. The other is to also just wear her down to half life (this I can do with the road that I built and minimal resources). I was thinking I could do this in the day time so they would come out in the evening and start at her. I was thinking of also using wolfgang's whistle at this point. 

So my question is this. Has anyone tested this? Are 15 bunnymen + half-health queen + 15 bee hats + wolfgang's whistle enough to finish her off? Ideally without even the whistle 

you could just use flute for p2 and run away using at least a magi and a road and run back right before grumble bees' buff after the screech ends and start tanking BQ instead of using bunnymen, but yes 15 of them should be enough and whistle sucks since you need to be in normal form to use it and it stops working after you get mighty

You guys think they’ll ever let us use our DST skins in the original Dont Starve? Cause I’m just going to be brutally honest with y’all at this point, I loved the original DS, I loved its two DLC expansions- I loved how if I bought a dlc world I could use characters from that DLC world (such as Walani) in Hamlet or the base game. I loved how elements of those worlds could be added to standard gameplay with the DLC compatibility settings.

But what keeps me playing DST over DS is the amount of character and base building customization it has over DS.

But the more I play DST, the more I realize I kinda actually “hate” it? Like as someone who throughly enjoyed the original DS, and it’s two dlc expansions- DST is so soooo far removed from that experience that the differences are quite baffling, and it makes me sad to see where the franchise started out at, and where it’s going now.

The original Dont Starve had the players engage with the world by finding ways to overcome the obstacle in front of their path to progress deeper into the game, for example: You needed to very wisely choose what time of day to trespass through a dangerous labyrinth full of mobs while they’re sleeping to avoid an almost all but certain death.

Dying in DS was extremely punishing too, by deleting your worlds completely and forcing you to start over.

DST recently got a world Gen toggle so that your world DOES get deleted if you die, but the rest of the game isn’t balanced around that.. your still having to unfairly fight multiplayer designed bosses and mobs.

And the game has a huge and quite weird over obsession with Boss Battles.

I doubt I’d even still be playing DST if DS was ever updated to support my DST skin collection.

Because the two games in my opinion don’t even feel like they’re in the same Genre of video game anymore.

DST has these powerful character reworks & these Bonkers RPG-Like character skill trees and skill points, and Solo DS just wasn’t anything like that.. 

I feel like I’m the odd ball out, but Surely I can’t be the only one who is starting to feel like this?

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

You guys think they’ll ever let us use our DST skins in the original Dont Starve? Cause I’m just going to be brutally honest with y’all at this point, I loved the original DS, I loved its two DLC expansions- I loved how if I bought a dlc world I could use characters from that DLC world (such as Walani) in Hamlet or the base game. I loved how elements of those worlds could be added to standard gameplay with the DLC compatibility settings.

But what keeps me playing DST over DS is the amount of character and base building customization it has over DS.

But the more I play DST, the more I realize I kinda actually “hate” it? Like as someone who throughly enjoyed the original DS, and it’s two dlc expansions- DST is so soooo far removed from that experience that the differences are quite baffling, and it makes me sad to see where the franchise started out at, and where it’s going now.

The original Dont Starve had the players engage with the world by finding ways to overcome the obstacle in front of their path to progress deeper into the game, for example: You needed to very wisely choose what time of day to trespass through a dangerous labyrinth full of mobs while they’re sleeping to avoid an almost all but certain death.

Dying in DS was extremely punishing too, by deleting your worlds completely and forcing you to start over.

DST recently got a world Gen toggle so that your world DOES get deleted if you die, but the rest of the game isn’t balanced around that.. your still having to unfairly fight multiplayer designed bosses and mobs.

And the game has a huge and quite weird over obsession with Boss Battles.

I doubt I’d even still be playing DST if DS was ever updated to support my DST skin collection.

Because the two games in my opinion don’t even feel like they’re in the same Genre of video game anymore.

DST has these powerful character reworks & these Bonkers RPG-Like character skill trees and skill points, and Solo DS just wasn’t anything like that.. 

I feel like I’m the odd ball out, but Surely I can’t be the only one who is starting to feel like this?

No, it's a separate game with separate files and has no interaction with the standalone game 'Don't Starve Together'