Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

I have a rather hilarious, somewhat troll mode question to ask..

The “Drop everything on Disconnect” feature, is it possible for a player to fill their inventory with live spiders (captured using a Rabbit Trap) & then disconnecting so those all just drop on the ground to attack the nearest player/ the player who returns after disconnecting?

This just sounds hilarious & I’d love to see a video of that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Does anyone have any tips versus Crab King? I'm using WIgfrid for the first time to fight him but I don't seem to be out damaging his heals... He's got all purple gems, I'm using the ice flingo method which freezes some of his claws as well so I just wail on him with dark swords. In fact I went through 4 dark swords and switched to a hambat but I still couldn't beat him after 2.5 days of fighting which is confusing me because that's more or less 34k damage.

I'm playing on the Switch. 

On 2/10/2024 at 4:25 AM, Mike23Ua said:

I have a rather hilarious, somewhat troll mode question to ask..

The “Drop everything on Disconnect” feature, is it possible for a player to fill their inventory with live spiders (captured using a Rabbit Trap) & then disconnecting so those all just drop on the ground to attack the nearest player/ the player who returns after disconnecting?

This just sounds hilarious & I’d love to see a video of that.

Bundle them up and just drop the packages somewhere where players frequent for extra troll move.

Edited by ALCRD
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, loonreaper said:

Does anyone have any tips versus Crab King? I'm using WIgfrid for the first time to fight him but I don't seem to be out damaging his heals... He's got all purple gems, I'm using the ice flingo method which freezes some of his claws as well so I just wail on him with dark swords. In fact I went through 4 dark swords and switched to a hambat but I still couldn't beat him after 2.5 days of fighting which is confusing me because that's more or less 34k damage.

If you see him use his rocks and put them back in his crown if you dont stop break them (there is an animation) then he will heal a significant amount. The way to break them is a lot of hits. Doesn't matter how hard the hits are just a lot of them. Its more then a player can do with just swinging so you need something like a weather pain or bees (but if you are using ice then that wont work). Crab king is just an annoying boss so maybe bring a friend or 2 if possible. 

Just now, maroonamanita said:

Its more then a player can do with just swinging

if you start holding F the moment he fully covers the pearl using the rock in his hand during the first heal, you'll be able to cancel all heals except the 1st (since it has a smaller window in comparison to the rest) by holding F, the timing is tight but it's possible

2 hours ago, loonreaper said:

Sadly solo breaking the heal is not easy, and using the flingo method makes it harder to bring help like bunnymen or bees.

I think weather pains is probably the tool that would help you.  Check some videos on youtube

• Like 1

2 hours ago, loonreaper said:

Don’t even bother trying… just get a whole bunch of bee mines, throw them at his face.. then watch as a bazillion bees do all the dirty work.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Don’t even bother trying… just get a whole bunch of bee mines, throw them at his face.. then watch as a bazillion bees do all the dirty work.

I tried this at first but I couldn't make it work because its hard to row on the console. But this time I cleared the rocks and I constantly rowed around. It took about 1.5 days for me with 8  bee mines and dwarf stars around CK. This really makes rushing to Elding Spear a lot harder tan I thought it'd be. There has got to be a hack around it though... I will try weather pains like Yuuko suggested but there has to be a way to interrupt the healing. Would wearing a bramble armor be enough hits per second to interrupt it? I really wouldn't want to switch characters or something like that. It'd be great if I could just get a bunch of level 1 elding spears and fight in the spring or something like that. 

Edited by loonreaper
more context
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, loonreaper said:

I tried this at first but I couldn't make it work because its hard to row on the console. But this time I cleared the rocks and I constantly rowed around. It took about 1.5 days for me with 8  bee mines and dwarf stars around CK. This really makes rushing to Elding Spear a lot harder tan I thought it'd be. There has got to be a hack around it though... I will try weather pains like Yuuko suggested but there has to be a way to interrupt the healing. Would wearing a bramble armor be enough hits per second to interrupt it? I really wouldn't want to switch characters or something like that. It'd be great if I could just get a bunch of level 1 elding spears and fight in the spring or something like that. 

Hopefully you have a good rollback point you can use for this.  Its going to take some practice.

Instead of bee mines you can capture killer bees from hornet nests, put them in a backpack on a grass boat, and light it on fire when you slot in the pearl to start the fight.  This makes it a bit less resource intensive, although you have to keep the bees alive until the fight starts.  Just make sure you have your attack locked on to the Crab King so you don't accidentally attack a bee and draw aggro yourself.

Or look at what grm9 said.  Maybe with some practice this will work for you instead?

2 hours ago, grm9 said:

if you start holding F the moment he fully covers the pearl using the rock in his hand during the first heal, you'll be able to cancel all heals except the 1st (since it has a smaller window in comparison to the rest) by holding F, the timing is tight but it's possible

Good luck - CK is a really difficult fight because the healing is extreme.  Even high damage characters like Wolfgang and Wanda get out-healed.  You won't out-damage the healing, you need to disrupt it.  If you have a good roll back point already, I'd suggest trying grm's timing advice first and if that fails then grab some weather pains if you can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loonreaper said:

8 is not enough.. when I finally took mine down, I was looking at about 20 bee mines placed on a grass boat very close to him and then spun using a boat Rutter so they all burst onto him at once. Be aware that it’s best to use a grass raft for this because CK targets and destroys all nearby boats that get caught up in his geysers.

Also even though you DONT want to switch characters, I would highly recommend that you DO, and when you do- Pick Wolfgang, thanks to his constant 2x damage he effectively cuts any boss you go fights health down by a whopping HALF just for Wolfgang existing…

Something I should point out is that Lunar and Shadow Affinities are not locked to a Per Character basis… so if you do everything as Wolfgang- You’ll unlock the Lunar/Shadow skills for Wigfrid and all other characters.

Edited by Mike23Ua

57 minutes ago, The Starver said:

Wait whut

He's saying - to unlock the affinity section of the tree you need to defeat AFW or CC.  You only need to do this once on the account and it will count for every character to unlock their affinity tree.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Something I should point out is that Lunar and Shadow Affinities are not locked to a Per Character basis… so if you do everything as Wolfgang- You’ll unlock the Lunar/Shadow skills for Wigfrid and all other characters.

This person is not unlocking their affinity tree.  They're trying to start the moon storm event so they can farm restrained statics to upgrade the Elding Spear.

Although the advice still holds - they can swap characters for this fight and then swap back.  No shame in doing that.  imo the point of the game is to do whatever it takes to clear an obstacle, and as you repeat that task to adapt better or more preferable options as you go.  No shame in building a wall for dfly, capturing bees for CK, swapping characters, etc.  What whatever starting point you need and build from there.

Just now, Yuuko said:

He's saying - to unlock the affinity section of the tree you need to defeat AFW or CC.  You only need to do this once on the account and it will count for every character to unlock their affinity tree.

That's awesome! Now I can play as a character I like, and unlock affinities for everybody!

1 minute ago, Yuuko said:

swapping characters

I believe this is an intended strategy, as the Celestial Orb has the Portal Paraphernalia recipe.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice everyone. I managed to kill him with 8 bee mines. I'll go for 20 next time if I go down that route! It took forever. I may just switch characters like others have suggested next time. Wolfgang in particular is good as far as I know because of his blue gem bells. I think this interrupts the healing somehow? I could be wrong. I did try multiple strategies this time around. I tried ice staffs, ice flingos but the only thing that worked for me was the bee mine cheese. Rudder in the middle of the boat to spin it around and constantly rowing within the perimeter of his claws so his aggro is on you and not the bees (other wise he will freeze them). I can't believe how... bad this boss is. I've beaten him before but its the first time I did it solo and first time playing Wigfrid. I really wish they had unlocked elding spear 2 with AFW. That would've been so fun to do. 

• Big Ups 1

37 minutes ago, Yuuko said:

This person is not unlocking their affinity tree.  They're trying to start the moon storm event so they can farm restrained statics to upgrade the Elding Spear.

Although the advice still holds - they can swap characters for this fight and then swap back.  No shame in doing that.  imo the point of the game is to do whatever it takes to clear an obstacle, and as you repeat that task to adapt better or more preferable options as you go.  No shame in building a wall for dfly, capturing bees for CK, swapping characters, etc.  What whatever starting point you need and build from there.

The more I play DST strictly Alone without other players, the more I get the feeling that Klei designs certain aspects of the game to be easier to do as a certain character, but harder to do as anyone else..

For example- Wendy & Abby is super super great if you want to fight bee queen. But She’s not so great if you want to fight Klaus.

Willow & Bernie are great to use against Deerclops or Bearger, but not so great for Klaus or Antlion.

Bernie actually counts as an additional target for the Klaus/Antlion effects to target, so using him only makes the fights worse lol..

Webber is great for engaging with water logged spiders, but not so great to stroll through a Pigman city.

etc etc.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice everyone. I managed to kill him with 8 bee mines. I'll go for 20 next time if I go down that route! It took forever. I may just switch characters like others have suggested next time. Wolfgang in particular is good as far as I know because of his blue gem bells. I think this interrupts the healing somehow? I could be wrong. I did try multiple strategies this time around. I tried ice staffs, ice flingos but the only thing that worked for me was the bee mine cheese. Rudder in the middle of the boat to spin it around and constantly rowing within the perimeter of his claws so his aggro is on you and not the bees (other wise he will freeze them). I can't believe how... bad this boss is. I've beaten him before but its the first time I did it solo and first time playing Wigfrid. I really wish they had unlocked elding spear 2 with AFW. That would've been so fun to do. 

Glad you got it!!  The advantage of bee mines is that they do not spoil / die, but remember you can just capture killer bees into a backpack and light it on fire to free them as you start the fight.  This lowers the cost of prep by a lot of boards, great if you have a killer bee hive biome in your world.  Otherwise the mines and rudder really are a great way to trigger them all.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

The more I play DST strictly Alone without other players, the more I get the feeling that Klei designs certain aspects of the game to be easier to do as a certain character, but harder to do as anyone else..

For example- Wendy & Abby is super super great if you want to fight bee queen. But She’s not so great if you want to fight Klaus.

Willow & Bernie are great to use against Deerclops or Bearger, but not so great for Klaus or Antlion.

Bernie actually counts as an additional target for the Klaus/Antlion effects to target, so using him only makes the fights worse lol..

Webber is great for engaging with water logged spiders, but not so great to stroll through a Pigman city.

etc etc.

idk if its intended or not, but it is a nice happy outcome.  Same with how different things can be done in world to effect the difficulty of a fight - like setting up a wall for dfly / bee queen, or how you can turn the world against its self setting bosses up against each other.  To me those qualities bring the game alive more then "x tell means dodge left then attack twice to get stun then hold f for 10 seconds attacking" scripted stuff.

• Like 1

What are the spawn requirements for Lunar frogs? Do they only fall in frog rain, come out of ponds, do they spawn if I toggle on lunar rifts? Is there a way to catch or move them without them instantly turning into frog legs?

7 hours ago, grm9 said:

There's also letting go of the attack button for a moment immediately when you see it healing through your attacks, the rest should sync up. Bringing ~2 Bee Mines doesn't cost too much either and pays off enough in damage and interrupts to go get.

5 hours ago, loonreaper said:

its hard to row on the console

A sail and steering wheel makes things a lot more comfortable if you're going for the outer circle strat.

• Like 2

So I'm actually really enjoying Wigfrid because she's super fun to play and has a unique progression mechanic in the form of acquiring new items. I'm just curious what everyone's preferred armor and weapons are in early, mid and late game and I am missing any trick. I personally don't like to rush CC (moon caller staff by day 11 and Pearl's quest early winter) but I definitely see the appeal to it. I prefer to take it easy and get to moonstorms by late spring or early summer, especially if I'm playing with friends. 

Early-game: Hambat, her helms, sometimes I craft a rond and I tame a rider beefalo. In the first autumn / early winter I try to get to the ruins and find lunar island / Pearl's island to prepare for the mid-game. If I can manage I try to grab some glass cutters to make Nightmare Werepig easier. 

Mid-game:  By Winter I like to get the dreadstone helm, a mag, get clear-minded credenza and heart rending ballad. I don't really make any other songs but I'm thinking of getting the durability song. At this point I don't even get thucelite crowns and I start to prepare to finish the CC quest. Sometimes I turn on the rifts in the cave as well in order to get the reaper / cowl combo especially if I plan on not getting the charged spear for a while. 

Late-game: Obviously I get the charged Elden spear. Sometimes I delay getting the enlightened crown for a while and just walk around day to day and versus bosses with the elding spear, a mag and dreadstone helm. Any other suggestions here?

So I'm wondering if I'm missing any key tricks with her. One thing I do like is set up a punching station around the maps. I get beefalo skills so I can literally just knock on the punching bag to refill my sanity / health. It literally becomes an unlimited tent. 

I don't like how long dreadstone armor / helm takes to recharge. I have heard of people farming volt goats and just going through level 1 spears but I don't see how that is worth it... Maybe if you use it versus mobs. 

Battle Helm all the way, except for some specific fights where I can use the Enlightened Crown efficiently. They're just too convenient and I'm not a fan of self-healing armor. 80% damage absorption is also more than enough with Wigfrid, her innate damage resistance and health steal reduces basically feels like you were wearing a Dreadstone Helm with any other character, I never felt I needed any more. Enlightened Crown's gestalts seem far to inaccurate for everyday use, but can be great in a few encounters, for example Nightmare Werepig huffing and puffing.

For weapon, Ham Bat -> Charged Elding Spear. She has the advantage of Ham Bats staying above the magical 50+ damage threshold for way longer, allowing you to deal with everyday dangers just as easily, and Charged Elding Spear... it's probably the best weapon in the game right now. It's also worth getting it by spring, it just blows through wet bosses, and the moonstone event is relatively easy to do by day 31, while also finishing up Pearl's tasks early spring by the latest.

As far as the chest slot goes, Piggyback or Magiluminescence basically. The latter is easily fueled by taking a few shadow splumonkeys to meet with a rook during a ruins rush and later on by using the Lazy Deserter. I've seen people using Thulecite Suits with the Enlightened Crown, which isn't half bad (especially given a Charged Elding Spear is basically already an extra magi), but I'm still not a fan of the crown itself for anything but utility. The W.A.R.B.I.S. Armor sounds good in theory but didn't impress me the slightest, since almost all fights involve switching between targets.

One other item I'd mention is mostly for moonstorm rushing if you have the rifts open - Brightshade Helm. Wigfrid's sanity is a pain the decrease below the halfway point normally, but that specific item kills the negative effects of high enlightenment during those nights.

• Like 1

I don't like how long dreadstone armor / helm takes to recharge. I have heard of people farming volt goats and just going through level 1 spears but I don't see how that is worth it... Maybe if you use it versus mobs. 

I don't have tons of Wig experience - but I do know that an anenemy goat farm earns a steady horn supply.  It shouldn't take much time, just add anenemies to your lunar island shopping list and set it up when you get back.

Okay, food for thought.
Would having <40% Lunacy against Fuelweaver make him able to mind control you, even if it's not directly insanity?
What if you have <15% Lunacy, can you hit the Unseen Hands?

It isn't possible to do this in vanilla, but it got me thinking...