Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

10 hours ago, catboy3dsplayer said:

Is there a specific command I can input to see how long I have until scrappy werepig will spawn? I'm not fully sure when I killed the cave version but I thought that the scrappy version would have spawned by now. So I just want to see if the retrofitting is possibly the issue or that the 20 day respawn timer hadn't expired yet.

Here:

c_announce(TheWorld.shard.components.shard_daywalkerspawner:GetDebugString()) 
c_announce("Days to spawn: " .. TheWorld.components.forestdaywalkerspawner.days_to_spawn) 
c_announce(TheWorld.components.forestdaywalkerspawner:CanSpawnFromJunk())

Line 1 indicates where daywalker spawns, either "forestjunkpile" for surface or "cavejail" for caves.
Line 2 indicates how many days are left until daywalker is spawnable from the junk pile, if applicable. By default this is 10, it does not necessarily mean 10 days remain.
Line 3 indicates if daywalker is currently spawnable from the junk pile.

A few people have been experiencing a bug where the daywalker timer doesn't start until relogging, that might be what's going on in your instance.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 7:35 PM, loonreaper said:

So the easiest thing I've found so far is using bramble husk. It's very quick. I let my bunnies kill the first half or first quarter but that part I also find pretty easy anyway. Then I put the bramble armor plus thucelite crown on and just go to town on her. I prefer this method of farming since I probably only kill her twice a year. From half-health it takes about 1.5 crowns and 2 bramble armors to kill her. Not bad considering thats 24-27 jelly beans. I have trouble keeping BQ walled off using the boat method And even having 20+ bunnies just gets her halfway killed. 

Have you tried the wickerbottom tentacle trap? 9x9 grass walls, break them, stand in the middle, then summon tentacles with her books? I did it and killing Bee Queen has pretty much become routine for me now. Just have to make sure to get armor so I don't get shredded when I accidentally get hit by tentacles. (And if you're wondering I get the Royal jellies one by one very slowly and carefully) 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Valase said:

Small question, what are you guys "moon glass" sinks?

I take moon glass sinks literally.

As in, the ocean. I put my glass in the ocean. The fish love it!

• Like 3

I'll be playing with my gf and 3 of my friends who are complete noobs to DST, which character would you choose to carry a team? I was thinking recommending at least 2 of them Wendy for obvious reasons and probably choosing Wormwood as a support character. Typically I tame an ornery beefalo, plant 10 mushroom planters in the caves, try to get a potato/garlic/dragonfruit mixture up and running and find lunar island in my first autumn as WW. I think bramble traps might help with hound attacks and the copious amounts of food will help people survive. 

Curious to know what character others would choose to carry a team of noobs? Honestly maybe even just getting Wendy and showing them how to farm spiders might actually be better because they learn one or two core mechanics and crockpot recipes. 

9 minutes ago, loonreaper said:

I'll be playing with my gf and 3 of my friends who are complete noobs to DST, which character would you choose to carry a team? I was thinking recommending at least 2 of them Wendy for obvious reasons and probably choosing Wormwood as a support character. Typically I tame an ornery beefalo, plant 10 mushroom planters in the caves, try to get a potato/garlic/dragonfruit mixture up and running and find lunar island in my first autumn as WW. I think bramble traps might help with hound attacks and the copious amounts of food will help people survive. 

Curious to know what character others would choose to carry a team of noobs? Honestly maybe even just getting Wendy and showing them how to farm spiders might actually be better because they learn one or two core mechanics and crockpot recipes. 

I'd recommend - don't carry them.  Let them fail, make mistakes, and if they wanna ask a question you can answer it.  Just kinda follow them around, sustain yourself, and keep a few healing / res mats on hand for the inevitable.  If they survive a week, take them to bee queen and have them clear the hornets nests.  If they do that, ask if they wanna take on Bee Queen and let what happens happen.

I'd say good beginner characters would be Wendy, Willow, and Woodie.  Unlimited ghost for killing minor things, fire for burning / cooking things, and axe for chopping.  You can take Wormwood and make an example of eating red mushrooms and monster meats.  That way they get punished if they try to copy you.

Edited by Yuuko
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, loonreaper said:

I've seen streams of streamers (no sh*t) discovering the game for the first time. From there I was reminded new players die a LOT from starvation, hounds, and shadow creatures.

Dying often and for hours is not going to be fun, and they'll never play the game again if that's the case, so I disagree with the comment above me. You at least gotta "carry" them by telling them where you guys are going to base, I'm thinking about desert to always get cactus fleshes. Then it's your choice about how much you want to hold their hand or not, by telling them if X ou Y things are dangerous. I've also noticed they have less fun if they don't know what to do, so maybe you shouldn't hesitate to delegate the tasks. Tents are also game changer for new players, maybe teach a Wendy how to farm spiders ?

As for the character (which I think is less important than being a teacher), you'll have to basically almost solo-handle hound waves scaled for 5 players, as well as most of the food, so one character that comes to my mind is Wickerbottom, but I'm sure you can make it work with some other ones.

Last but not least, you might want to mess with the server's settings. I'm not saying you should play in Relaxed mode, but you could change a few things to help them (like disabling the max health penality). Remember the goal is for them to have fun.

Good luck...

Edited by b l a n k

39 minutes ago, b l a n k said:

Dying often and for hours is not going to be fun, and they'll never play the game again if that's the case,

Do you really think that?  I mean sure they'll die over and over again, but it will be in different ways as they explore the world.  Isn't this everyone's first experience?

Soloing hound waves scaled for 5 ppl?  Why?  The hound wave is part of the experience.  This isn't Animal Crossing.

Edited by Yuuko
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Yuuko said:

Do you really think that?  I mean sure they'll die over and over again, but it will be in different ways as they explore the world.  Isn't this everyone's first experience?

Soloing hound waves scaled for 5 ppl?  Why?  The hound wave is part of the experience.  This isn't Animal Crossing.

It is everyone's first experience, and that's why 90% (if not more) of players never play the game again. I've seen enough streams to back up that thought, and I'm sure Klei knows very well too (hence the player retention friendly updates, starting with the introduction of the Relaxed mode)...

For hound waves, I didn't mean to say he has to solo them. I meant new players probably won't contribute much to clear them and thus he gotta keep that in mind.

Does Crystal Deerclops despawn at the end of the winter season like Deerclops does? If yes, will the possessed version reappear next winter? It seems to despawn but it would be nice to hear the observations of other players or get a confirmation. Have a great day. :dd

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

Does Crystal Deerclops despawn at the end of the winter season like Deerclops does? If yes, will the possessed version reappear next winter? It seems to despawn but it would be nice to hear the observations of other players or get a confirmation. Have a great day. :dd

Tested, here are the results:

• Crystal Deerclops does despawn when unloaded after Winter.
  • If Crystal Deerclops despawns, the next Deerclops spawn is still a normal Deerclops.

• Big Ups 1

10 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

Worth noting, Crystal Deerclops seems to entirely despawn when unloaded in general, not just at the end of winter. I had a hellish night a few play sessions ago where I fought 3 Deerclops in a row on the last day before a rift closed, the first one not getting possessed inexplicably, and the second one getting properly possessed... but then the resulting Crystal Deerclops despawning instantly whenever I ran a few screens away to tend to my Beefalo after he got in a tussle with a MacTusk hunting party.

• Thanks 1

How many Koalefants can I leave alive in the world before suspicious dirt piles stop appearing? Is it still only one? I forgot about one that ran into 4 spider dens for like 50 days and I swear I didn't see any dirt piles until I went back with a ranged weapon to take it out. Afterwards I noticed them again.

8 minutes ago, KvltBear said:

How many Koalefants can I leave alive in the world before suspicious dirt piles stop appearing? Is it still only one? I forgot about one that ran into 4 spider dens for like 50 days and I swear I didn't see any dirt piles until I went back with a ranged weapon to take it out. Afterwards I noticed them again.

there isn't a limit.

leave as many koalefants alive as you want.

source (trust me bro)

• Like 2
  • GL Happy 1

I just started to play WX-78 and I know most WX-78 players will just get super acceleration and super hardy circuits but the latency on my Switch is pretty bad even with extra speed and I also just miss the damage modifiers I get from other characters. Curious if others have made the triple electrification circuit work versus bosses, raid bosses or mini-bosses. I've seen Mr.beard test out bramble armor + 3x electric circuits versus bee queen and it looked really nice. I was wondering about double bone armor or anything other interesting strats that could make this work day  to day. Other than that I am really enjoying the day 3 no hassle ruins rushing :lol:. The quick plateauing not so much. 

2 minutes ago, Pet Rock said:

Why are brightshade and void repair kits not learnt by characters like other brightshade/void things (craftable without workbench after crafting once)?

None of the Brightsmith or void cloth gear are prototypable now (though if you crafted them before this change took place you'll still have it prototyped!)

The addition of the repair kits removed the need for these gears to be prototypable as you can craft a bunch of kits and go out able to freely repair your tools.

4 minutes ago, Hornete said:

though if you crafted them before this change took place you'll still have it prototyped!

I've only been playing post-rifts on one world so I didn't even notice! Interesting

• Like 2

I have armored bearger in the world. Does it prevent regular one from spawning? He keeps warning me with sounds that he about to spawn but dosen't actually appear.

1 hour ago, Gi-Go said:

I have armored bearger in the world. Does it prevent regular one from spawning? He keeps warning me with sounds that he about to spawn but dosen't actually appear.

It does prevent the normal one from spawning, and judging from beargerspawner.lua, this is intentional:
image.png.3dcc62f7ec939142c2bb1798d4afdd49.png

• Thanks 1