What Will Next Character Look Like?

So klei taking back the mechanics they wasted in DS. We get Wheeler's gun as slingshot, her dash as Weremoose dash, wagstaff tech style as winona engineer tab, warly as slightly better warly, wormwood as slightly better wormwood. I think next character will be a sea based character. She/he will have special water transport (like Walani), water treasure system or sanity boost at water (like woodlegs). Don't think we will get anything from Wilbur or Wilba bc they don't have cool any human mechanics. I think the character is gonna be a human and girl. But not sure about what new mechanic they are gonna add it. What do you think guys? If you ask me, I don't not want old character things come back.

I'd be really happy if they bring my Woodlegs boy to dst but imma keep my expectations very low for that to happen.

And if we go kinda historically we got 3 new monster and 2 new human characters... not that this is hard criteria in any way but it might be cool to see if human vs non human evens out with the next one

We will never know what new character will be like and even if we did make a prediction, Klei would change character design to make it a surprise. However, you may certainly expect them to reuse character perks from Don't Starve expansions for their "brand-new" characters the way they reuse Shipwrecked content for Return of Them expansion because they've been doing that for a while. They took ranged weapon perk from Wheeler and Wilbur (with poop pellets) to make Walter, took monster meat transformation from Wilba for Woodie refresh, transferred the role of "little offspring of Constant's semi-intelligent creature" from Wilba to Wurt, Warly and Wormwood were lucky to make it as themselves because they were first in the line.

By that logic, Walani and Woodlegs are the only ones left to be relieved of their design and perks for a "new" "Captain of Northern Seas" character - especially since no sea-oriented character has been introduced as part of generally sea-oriented expansion. I honestly hope they make him human instead of anthropoid sea creature like Octopus (Davey Jones reference) trying to squeeze more SW content in because I believe there was enough non-human characters thrown in already.

I also hold much, much higher hopes of Klei eventually realizing that single-player characters were better to be brought in "as is" instead of reusing their design for "new" DST-exclusive characters.

There's a niche for a sea character, a moon character and a lore-heavy character.

Other than that, I think we probably have all we need for the rest of the game's lifespan. Klei will eventually stop making new characters and maybe they've already hit that point.

20 minutes ago, Well-met said:

There's a niche for a sea character, a moon character and a lore-heavy character.

Other than that, I think we probably have all we need for the rest of the game's lifespan. Klei will eventually stop making new characters and maybe they've already hit that point.

Totally agree. I think we'll maybe see two more characters. One related to either the Ocean or Moon and one final character that'll tie everything up. 

I think we're nearing the end of large content updates for DST once RoT is finished. 

7 minutes ago, Well-met said:

The thing you have to ask is ... what actually qualifies as a new character? 

Are we talking totally brand new characters exclusively just for DST?? OR Are We Talking about any already existing Klei official character who is Already trapped inside the constant- And therefore... would not be new at all if Klei decided to port them over into DST?

Klei makes this confusing because Warly was introduced as a Free Refresh and not a Brand New DST Character, Meanwhile... Wormwood was introduced as a Brand New paid DST character (that for console players at least.. was Exclusive Because for Console players... DST Wormwood was available before Hamlet ever was.)

So technically- (on consoles) Wormwood was one of those 4 promised DST exclusive dlc characters.

Walter was the final one they said they would be working on (for now) and at first he was going to be paid but was free.. 

Wortox, Wurt, Winona & Walter are all EXCLUSIVE to DST.. that’s 4 total as was promised.

(I do not personally count Wormwood because he isn’t exclusive to just DST)

So that leaves the question of where does The OTHER DLC characters fall into this category?

(If they’re ever added at all of course)

Walani, Wilbur & Woodlegs who come from the Shipwrecked expansion pack same as Warly.

Wheeler, Wilba, & Wagstaff who come from the Hamlet expansion pack same as Wormwood.

Would those be considered as Brand New Characters (Wormwood) or would they be considered as Character Refreshes (Warly)

Ive asked Klei this before- but I honestly don’t think they’re going to give us any answers :( 

However.. What I CAN say as an absolute fact- the 6 above described characters are All Klei official characters, they are all trapped inside the Constant already.. more importantly- They’ve each got their group of players who already actually WANT to play as Them.

Unlike a Brand New DST exclusive character who may actually end up being hit & miss with players.

————————————

In the end though- the TL:DR is that the more characters in the game, the more potential profit Klei would make off the sales of their belongings and skin sets.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

CA4F3065-3D68-4C44-A8FB-33AB9A6F0540.thumb.jpeg.42d9c01c0c4444fdf23eebb1bd811f8d.jpeg

Hide contents

I think I am in love....why did you do this to me!!! It took me 5 years to let go of Wigfrid and now THIS... How will I ever be true to Willow if you slap me with pictures of pretty DS characters ?

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

So technically- (on consoles) Wormwood was one of those 4 promised DST exclusive dlc characters.

Walter was the final one they said they would be working on (for now) and at first he was going to be paid but was free.. 

Wortox, Wurt, Winona & Walter are all EXCLUSIVE to DST.. that’s 4 total as was promised.

While it's true that by different metrics they added four new characters, it still holds true that they didn't add four DLC characters like they said they would in the 2019 roadmap, as there are 2.5 DLC characters at worst. Furthermore, Klei decided not to limit themselves with a number of characters or a regular schedule for updates through their 2020 roadmap. This leaves it open that we may still get new characters added, be it ports from singleplayer, totally new characters designed from scratch or previously conceptualized/removed characters. I can still see them adding 2 more characters in the foreseeable future to make the default character select screen a 5x4 grid alongside the random button.

I know a lot of people want to add characters from Hamlet and shipwrecked, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Don't Starve is an independent game, and if the devs keep bringing content and characters over to DST, then there is no purpose to even have Don't Starve, as people don't buy it for the single player mode, but rather for the unique content it offers.

Let Don't Starve be it's own game, with it's own DLCs and characters. 

Well, so far the DLC characters are creatures, from the constant, and also kinda lore adjacent, so the only character that fills the bill would be Wilba, since she is born in the constant and already a creature. But I would prefer a new character, maybe with more cave related perks.

3 minutes ago, SnowdropPax said:

I know a lot of people want to add characters from Hamlet and shipwrecked, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Don't Starve is an independent game, and if the devs keep bringing content and characters over to DST, then there is no purpose to even have Don't Starve, as people don't buy it for the single player mode, but rather for the unique content it offers.

Let Don't Starve be it's own game, with it's own DLCs and characters. 

But why bro? That’s maybe how games worked in 2013.. but that’s not how game companies operate in 2020.

In the old days- a games life span was roughly 2 years and then a sequel was released. 

I believe that Rainbow Siege is now on its 5th year of DLC with no sequel in the foreseeable future.

The same can be said for GTA.. which instead of making the GTA 6 the world seems to be so shocked hasn’t been revealed yet.. they’re still doing large updates to GTA Online.

(and I mean seriously.. it took 10 years between GTA 4 and GTA V... do you seriously expect a GTA 6 anytime soon?)

Ahem.. anyways- I paid 50$ for the ultimate edition of State of Decay 2, which Did not even include all of the games dlc expansions (I had to pay an additional 10$ for Heartland DLC) when the company Rereleased the Juggernaut Edition of the game- They added those DLCs to the core game itself (rather you did or did not buy the ultimate edition and DLC’s.. you got them Free..) and the previous versions of the game had been discontinued.

Who is to say Klei won’t follow up on that idea? What if.. suddenly the only version of DS that was available to purchase was the Mega Bundle Edition (which includes DS, DS Shipwrecked, DST) Which- would then mean that instead of having DS & DST.. that we would instead have a launch Hub..

where we can load up which VERSION of the game we want to play in similar to how when playing Solo DS... you can play Reign of Giants, Shipwrecked, Hamlet, or Classic DS..

Im thinking about the very very far off distant future of where I want to see the direction of this franchise going in the long run, what I (personally) feel could even have it competing toe to toe in popularity with Minecraft.. 

To put it into a TL:DR- Some people prefer the pre-rework version of Woodie over his new DST version.. and even harder to believe- Some people prefer the cardboard cut out fake ocean of Pre-RoT updates over the new stuff we’ve been getting.. and my question to all of you is- Why can’t we do like SOD 2 Juggernaut Edition did and combine Everything into one large package deal... and I can choose rather I want to play with Pre-Rework Woodie, or DST Woodie, Pre-Return of Then Sea, or Return of Them Sea, Shipwrecked themed world, DST themed world gen?

I know that a lot of you generally don’t like my ideas, and it’s okay to disagree but you have to compare what I’m saying here to the games that have already done it.

Even Left 4 Dead 2 eventually got all the content of L4D 1 making L4D 1 a completely dead game no one needed anymore.

12 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

But why bro? That’s maybe how games worked in 2013.. but that’s not how game companies operate in 2020.

In the old days- a games life span was roughly 2 years and then a sequel was released. 

I believe that Rainbow Siege is now on its 5th year of DLC with no sequel in the foreseeable future.

The same can be said for GTA.. which instead of making the GTA 6 the world seems to be so shocked hasn’t been revealed yet.. they’re still doing large updates to GTA Online.

(and I mean seriously.. it took 10 years between GTA 4 and GTA V... do you seriously expect a GTA 6 anytime soon?)

Ahem.. anyways- I paid 50$ for the ultimate edition of State of Decay 2, which Did not even include all of the games dlc expansions (I had to pay an additional 10$ for Heartland DLC) when the company Rereleased the Juggernaut Edition of the game- They added those DLCs to the core game itself (rather you did or did not buy the ultimate edition and DLC’s.. you got them Free..) and the previous versions of the game had been discontinued.

Who is to say Klei won’t follow up on that idea? What if.. suddenly the only version of DS that was available to purchase was the Mega Bundle Edition (which includes DS, DS Shipwrecked, DST) Which- would then mean that instead of having DS & DST.. that we would instead have a launch Hub..

where we can load up which VERSION of the game we want to play in similar to how when playing Solo DS... you can play Reign of Giants, Shipwrecked, Hamlet, or Classic DS..

Im thinking about the very very far off distant future of where I want to see the direction of this franchise going in the long run, what I (personally) feel could even have it competing toe to toe in popularity with Minecraft.. 

To put it into a TL:DR- Some people prefer the pre-rework version of Woodie over his new DST version.. and even harder to believe- Some people prefer the cardboard cut out fake ocean of Pre-RoT updates over the new stuff we’ve been getting.. and my question to all of you is- Why can’t we do like SOD 2 Juggernaut Edition did and combine Everything into one large package deal... and I can choose rather I want to play with Pre-Rework Woodie, or DST Woodie, Pre-Return of Then Sea, or Return of Them Sea, Shipwrecked themed world, DST themed world gen?

I know that a lot of you generally don’t like my ideas, and it’s okay to disagree but you have to compare what I’m saying here to the games that have already done it.

Even Left 4 Dead 2 eventually got all the content of L4D 1 making L4D 1 a completely dead game no one needed anymore.

I understand your point, but DST is not by any means a sequel to Don't Starve, they are both games with some of the same characters and ideas, but ultimately they are both independent of each other, so it makes since that one would have characters/events/items that the other one doesn't or will never have.

Now, I'm not saying that Klei won't eventually add some things to DST that Don't Starve has, in fact they already have, Wormwood being a prime example. All I am saying is that it's unfair to ask, or even expect, for Klei to add things exclusive to Don't Starve, like Hamlet Town with all of it's characters, when the devs have stated that they will not do anything like that, because Don't Starve is not the single player version of DST, it's an entirely new game.

35 minutes ago, -Variant said:

Wasn't Walter their last character?

Yes, but not a paid DLC character, he was more of an update to the all accessible rooster of characters, also he doesn't fit the non human/from the constant/not necessarily cannon identity of the previous 3 DLC characters.

Archived